PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the Paul Howe aperture in A1 upper?

BFS
01-27-18, 23:12
I want to run the CSAT aperture on a A1.

Simple question- will A2 apertures fit and work in A1 sight housings?

The CSAT aperture is listed as a drop in A2 replacement- are the center of peep to crossbolt length the same on A2 vs A1?

And do A1 and A2 apertures share the same crossbolt threadpitch?

Dennis
01-27-18, 23:48
I have an Ashley same plane peep in an A1 handle and had no problems with zero.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

26 Inf
01-28-18, 00:07

The CSAT aperture is listed as a drop in A2 replacement- are the center of peep to crossbolt length the same on A2 vs A1?

I don't know if this will answer your question to your satisfaction:

The thread pitch is the same. Some folks put A2 rear sights on their A1's

The A2 sight blade's base is slightly wider than the A1 sight blade, but generally is not a problem if you aren't cranked to much one way or the other on your zero. Most folks don't adjust the windage on the A1's after they zero.

The CSAT should work for your application.

BFS
01-28-18, 01:02
I have an Ashley same plane peep in an A1 handle and had no problems with zero.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you know where I'm going with this...

ST911
01-28-18, 09:02

A2 apertures drop in A1 carry handles without a problem. Very popular modification for 1033 LESO guns.

BFS
01-28-18, 09:07
Thanks everybody for the intel.

jsbhike
01-28-18, 21:01
Best I can recall, the Howe XS and their standard rear are slightly shorter than a stock A2 aperture. Not a problem on sighting in...if anything it may work on carbines that would normally need the taller front post

Didn't have an A1 to compare to at the time.

MountainRaven
01-28-18, 22:03
I had a Brownell's A1-style upper that I installed one of the Paul Howe CSAT sight sets in. Worked perfectly well.

AndyLate
02-09-18, 07:35
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

jsbhike
02-09-18, 08:33
I have a carry handle sighted "M4" configured with the Santos IBZ. I am really tempted to install the CSAT aperture for two reasons, the first is for the CSAT design, the second is for a same plane aperture. They are same plane, aren't they?

Andy

Yes they are.

I will also suggest adding in the extra clicks on slipping the range scale to give a 100 meter setting with the CSAT aperture. Easier with an 8/3 drum sight vs 6/3 but still doable

AndyLate
02-09-18, 08:52

jsbhike
02-09-18, 09:03
Thank you.

Do you mean a 100 m zero with the notch?

To be honest, I will be using/use the large aperture most if the time, but I think I appreciate the concept of the CSAT on an iron sight only rifle.

I may put a CSAT aperture in the Troy BUIS on my red-dot gun, but that thought is mainly driven by a nicely priced aperture on the EE (the Troy is same-plane already).

Andy

No, the notch can be zeroed at 7 yards which has a mechanical offset built in to it that causes the apertures to zero at 100 meters/yards....in theory....need to verify and see where it will hit of course. On an 8/3 carbine it all worked out well on mine combining the CSAT with this

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?107572-Zen-of-the-100-Meter-Zero

If the rear doesn't have elevation adjustment (thinking that is the case with Troy) then the notch will be 7 yards and the aperture(s) will be 100.

Gonna say you won't be gaining a lot going to the CSAT rear for red dot use, but the XS large apertures give a good sight picture with red dots and I kind of suspect the notch could be useful depending on whether or not you are using a lower 1/3 mount or (maybe) if the dot has a 200 or 300 zero.

AndyLate
02-09-18, 09:56

jsbhike
02-09-18, 10:12
Yeah it may be a nitpicking/OCD thing, but I like the idea of same plane especially when combining with a red dot. Sight in small aperture and flip large for the red dot.

I do think slipping the range scale to allow the 100m setting(6/3 -6 clicks I think?) with the CSAT will be worth while to get the built in notch to aperture offset to work AND make use of the elevation drum for longer ranges.