PDA

View Full Version : FitBit and the Mil

WillBrink
01-29-18, 09:07
Where a seemingly innocuous tech used by civilians may not be appropriate for mil etc:

Strava fitness map 'accidentally revealed the location of secret military bases' by tracking soldiers' movements

Some of the world's most secret and sensitive bases in the world are lit up brightly on the running tracker's map

Cont:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/global-heat-map-us-military-bases-revealed-soldiers-gps-tracking-jogging-fitbit-strava-a8182826.html

Grizzly16
01-29-18, 09:18
If I'm reading it right it isn't only FitBit it is any location tracking device/app tied into Strava right? Which would probably be better said as any location sharing service people use.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-29-18, 09:52
Saw this last night. Not just base locations but patrol routes, etc. Looks like the Russian's have a few bases and routes exposed as well.

Bad guys don't need satellites, they can just use ours.

WillBrink
01-29-18, 10:12
If I'm reading it right it isn't only FitBit it is any location tracking device/app tied into Strava right? Which would probably be better said as any location sharing service people use.

If I understand right, most know to turn off GPS tracking on their phones and such when in Indian territory, but perhaps didn't do the math on that one, but yes, I assume anything with location tracking. Talk about intel to set up and easy ambush!

TexasAggie2005
01-29-18, 10:12
Disturbing.

There is a guy on Twitter who is using Strava's publicly available info to compile a comprehensive package on an individual; what Stateside base they deployed from, where their house is, other social media accounts, etc. Some guys even logged their patrol routes while outside the wire.

Alex V
01-29-18, 11:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yCZhrzwZQs

The more and more tech we use every day, the less privacy we have. Everyone knows where everyone is. I have friends who have apps on their phones to know where their spouses are and shit. It's just creepy. I turn off location services on everything right away.

When I get in my car in the morning and my phone automatically tells me how long the ride is to work or on Friday nights tells me how long the drive is to where I play hockey, that is a bit too much for me.

Digital_Damage
01-29-18, 13:42
Some of this will be leading to disciplinary actions.

Many locations forbid Phones and trackers that have the ability to transmit data.

There is an approved list of devices available, those that do not follow the rules will get their clearance yanked and possibly be imprisoned.

rero360
01-29-18, 13:47
I've stopped wearing my fitbit altogether as I can't wear it in the office and I'm here for 12+ hours a day so there's real point in wearing it. But the aspect of the article saying that they expose secrete bases, I've always been of the opinion that if its on google maps then its not secrete. I do agree however that leaving location services active is not the smartest move. I tech savvy thief could use that info to know when you are away from home and how long they have to break into your house.

TexasAggie2005
01-29-18, 14:04
Disturbing.

There is a guy on Twitter who is using Strava's publicly available info to compile a comprehensive package on an individual; what Stateside base they deployed from, where their house is, other social media accounts, etc. Some guys even logged their patrol routes while outside the wire.

An example of what is now being distributed on Twitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUlN9wLWkAAXKir.jpg:orig

WillBrink
01-29-18, 14:37
I turn off location services on everything right away.

Always turn mine off. I will turn them on for a specific use when they apply, but off the other times. Get prompts all the time "this app will work better if you turn on location services" but I ignore them. Someone with the tech who really wanted to track me could no doubt, but no reason to make it easy I figure.

HeruMew
01-29-18, 15:07
Saw this blow up on the newsfeeds this morning.

Truly a "Doh!" moment in these regards.

As mentioned previous, looks like the Ruskies and "larger powers" are experiencing some of the same issues as this.

Exposed routes, bases, and etc. Had a couple guys get the exact coordinates of a Tomahawk Missile sight in the Ukraine. Supposedly.

Causing much a chaos this morning.

WillBrink
01-29-18, 16:13
Saw this blow up on the newsfeeds this morning.

Truly a "Doh!" moment in these regards.

As mentioned previous, looks like the Ruskies and "larger powers" are experiencing some of the same issues as this.

Exposed routes, bases, and etc. Had a couple guys get the exact coordinates of a Tomahawk Missile sight in the Ukraine. Supposedly.

Causing much a chaos this morning.

The Fit Commie app they use has become problematic I guess ;)

SilverBullet432
01-29-18, 17:53
Oops. Back to pedometers I guess.