PDA

View Full Version : anyone knowledgeable on the SFAB

platoonDaddy
01-29-18, 15:22
Just heard about this command today, is it manned by Army, Marines & Seals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdbRMNmNRE&feature=youtu.be

1911-A1
01-29-18, 15:28
Maybe use an actual news outlet for starters? OANN is garbage.

From the Army's website:
https://www.army.mil/article/199082/1st_sfab_combat_advisor_teams_train_for_upcoming_afghanistan_deployment

platoonDaddy
01-29-18, 15:43

From the Army's website:
https://www.army.mil/article/199082/1st_sfab_combat_advisor_teams_train_for_upcoming_afghanistan_deployment

Enlighten me, what wasn’t factual on the video?

Wake27
01-29-18, 15:48
Just heard about this command today, is it manned by Army, Marines & Seals?

No. Lots of info on SSD.

I didn't hear anything that wasn't accurate.

1911-A1
01-29-18, 15:54
Enlighten me, what wasn’t factual on the video?

It's not a trustworthy organization, regardless of the accuracy of the video. The point is, they have no credibility especially when there are better sources out there.

It's like buying a DPMS when you can get a 6920 for the same price.

dwhitehorne
01-29-18, 16:39
I like OAN. They seem to have more news clips than political rivals always trying to talk over each other.

The video is interesting. Curious to see if the change in tactics will help at all. David

Campbell
01-29-18, 18:00
I’m beginning to think there will be no end to Afghanistan...let’s just train their entire freaking country, then what? Well we all know what.

OP, sorry for derail-

ABNAK
01-29-18, 19:11
From reading the Army article they seem like a cross between Special Forces and their FID mission, Civil Affairs, and the old Asymmetric Warfare Group.

Are they a SOCOM unit? Do they have their own "selection"?

Wake27
01-29-18, 19:13
From reading the Army article they seem like a cross between Special Forces and their FID mission, Civil Affairs, and the old Asymmetric Warfare Group.

Are they a SOCOM unit? Do they have their own "selection"?

Big Army, not ARSOF/SOCOM/JSOC, etc. They are getting quite a lot of money and Gucci gear though. And no selection but they do have a board I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
01-29-18, 19:18
I would have a hard time volunteering to teach these guys anything.
There is a history of getting shot in the back while training locals.

Firefly
01-29-18, 19:48
So is this like an Army SWAT team or what?

Averageman
01-29-18, 19:55
Nope, not likely.
More like a Training Team. Probably small arms, some crew served weapons training and small unit tactics stuff.
Likely full of a mix of hard chargers,more Elias's than Barnes and a mix of career guys going for SMA.
Likely top heavy as hell.

Wake27
01-29-18, 20:52
They’re purpose built brigades for advising and assisting. On the surface, it does sound like the typical SF FID mission but it’s an entire brigade built to do so. Instead of taking ____ light infantry BDE and making them teach ANA how to army, this unit is structured, organized, and equipped around that mission set. It sounds great in theory, though they’ve caught some flak for trying too hard to look like group. From my understanding, it’s supposed to go further than skill level one tasks. For instance, I believe the logistics guys will be supporting their own unit as well as teaching foreigners how to support their own. Don’t quote me on that one though.

ramairthree
01-30-18, 01:15
It’s like international drill sergeants / AIT instructors for guys that want to be SOF, but can’t pass SFAS, RIP, etc. sort of like CA.

26 Inf
01-30-18, 12:51
It’s like international drill sergeants / AIT instructors for guys that want to be SOF, but can’t pass SFAS, RIP, etc. sort of like CA.

From what I've read it is because big army decided there weren't enough SF personnel to be assigned to all the training missions. The SF in SFAB stands for Security Force not Special Forces.

The Secretary of the Army approved the growth of SFABs in 2016 to provide a specially designed force for security force assistance, to preserve brigade combat team readiness, and to provide a cadre to support rapid regeneration of brigade combat teams if required.

Once selected for the brigade, Soldiers will report to Fort Benning, Ga., in October to begin a year-long training regimen that will include formal schooling of security force assistance-specific tasks such as building, training, advising, assisting, and assessing security forces.

My military 'career' encompassed 28 years - 4 active duty - 24 reserve. The best part of the deal was the 11 years I spent in a DRU Pathfinder Platoon. The second best were the years I spent teaching for a Reserve Forces School. I really enjoyed teaching the reserve component PLDC and 11Bang courses.

Point being, some folks are bent that way.

Averageman
01-30-18, 13:58
I've done it with both US and foreign troops, but I did it all CONUS.
When the opportunity came up to go OCONUS and teach Iraqis, I was already in the private sector and a number of deaths had happened training those guys.
It all sounds like a good idea, but things don't always work out culturally.
So if ordered to again I would have, but now it's not worth the money.

ramairthree
02-28-18, 16:12
They did not pick a SF acronym, SF looking patch, and SF pseudo beret in an effort to not be special for a bunch of guys that are not.

Of course there is not enough SF to train every short bus full of window lickers out there. Even SOF not at all suited for or experienced in doing so had to have a hand in it

My point is, a lot of mediocre but competent personnel who never would make the cut could be assigned this role and a unit formed without a bunch of uniform, unit, and name choices that scream wannabes at fantasy camp showing how special they are

HardToHandle
02-28-18, 21:52
Ten years ago there was a hue-and-cry against the theory of an American Constabulary to handle low intensity warfare and build up indigenous leadership.
Fast forward a decade and the same institutions then opposed have now co-opted the theme. I hope that SFABs represent a smarter, nuanced approach to hard problems.

The fear is 20 years from now we will find ourselves in a Smedley Butler situation- where honest-to-God American heroes have squandered their best years to leave a shithole country in about the same manner as it was found. The men manning the SFABs will likely draw some hard problems in the near future, wish them luck.

03-01-18, 08:09
One of SF’s missions is to train foreign UNconventional forces. The SFABs mission is to train foreign CONVENTIONAL forces. A bit different. The dude that said international drill sergeants nailed it. But they will also train units/soldiers beyond initial entry training, attempting to build competent indigenous conventional units.

Its not really a new thing. The new part is that they are to be enduring units, that continue to be SFABs when they rotate back, rather than reverting to standard units, or getting disbanded with personnel spread to the four winds. Hence the new equipment. This enables them to build/maintain institutional experience at training foreign troops. So perhaps there may be a non Afghan mission in the future, also.

It’s probably a good stop off for conventional Soldiers that are “career oriented” much like drill sergeant. Not really for guys that want to do Direct Action.

03-01-18, 08:10

Not in the slightest.

Wake27
03-01-18, 08:43
One of SF’s missions is to train foreign UNconventional forces. The SFABs mission is to train foreign CONVENTIONAL forces. A bit different. The dude that said international drill sergeants nailed it. But they will also train units/soldiers beyond initial entry training, attempting to build competent indigenous conventional units.

Its not really a new thing. The new part is that they are to be enduring units, that continue to be SFABs when they rotate back, rather than reverting to standard units, or getting disbanded with personnel spread to the four winds. Hence the new equipment. This enables them to build/maintain institutional experience at training foreign troops. So perhaps there may be a non Afghan mission in the future, also.

It’s probably a good stop off for conventional Soldiers that are “career oriented” much like drill sergeant. Not really for guys that want to do Direct Action.

SF also has the mission of training foreign conventional forces.

03-01-18, 09:03
SF also has the mission of training foreign conventional forces.

Fair enough. What I’m getting at is the SFAB’s primary mission is to train conventional forces. They will not be displacing SF’s role or competing with them for relevancy.

They will, however, help free SF, conventional forces, and Rangers to perform other tasks.

Wake27
03-03-18, 03:00
Fair enough. What I’m getting at is the SFAB’s primary mission is to train conventional forces. They will not be displacing SF’s role or competing with them for relevancy.

They will, however, help free SF, conventional forces, and Rangers to perform other tasks.

Very true.

USMC_Anglico
03-03-18, 06:48

Exactly. There aren't enough SOF to go around and SOF doesn't have the mission to train higher level commands and support services. SFAB will also be full brigade command structures in place waiting to be plussed up with new joes when the Army expands. Big Army finally getting smart instead of ad-hoc MTT teams every rotation.

CPM
03-03-18, 15:51
Man this is a lot of shit talking by non-active duty folks that have zero first hand knowledge. I also never read the official term MITT, which is why this exists. MITT Teams used to harvest SNCO’s and 03+ officers from line units to deploy and train and live with conventional foreign forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. Rather than cherry pick and reduce the combat effectiveness of existing units, this unit stood up.

ramairthree
03-03-18, 16:48
I am not, nor do I think anyone else is against the concept.

It is valid and makes sense from a variety of perspectives.

The issue around which the hilarity ensues,
Is giving it an SF containing acronym, and SF styled patch, and shooting to be greenish berets.

If they had just called it the Multinational Assistance Division - Developmental Organisation Group Service or FID Brigade or something without going for SFish patches and SFish or Rangerish berets,
Perhaps they would not be getting ridiculed as a bunch of wannabes going full retard.