PDA

View Full Version : Barrel off center, how much is too much?

sidewaysil80
01-29-18, 23:09
Installed some MBUS PRO’s on a factory 16” rifle w/ 15” rail. I started at 25yds to get on paper but had to max the windage out just to get centered. I had my buddy and a range stranger shoot it and they were in the same boat. It’s very accurate and is producing one ragged hole at 50yds. BUT, the rear sight is maxed out to the left.

I measured it with dial calipers and it is in fact leaning to the right by 1.5mm. That seems very inconsequential but I’m at a loss as to why its shoots right as drastically as it does. Removed and reinstalled the sights and tried different ammo as well, no change. Barrel is not loose nor is the rail (as far as I can tell). Is that minor amount of off center enough to cause the rifle to shoot that far right at only 25yds?

dmd08
01-29-18, 23:17
What upper, barrel and rail are you using?

sidewaysil80
01-30-18, 04:06
What upper, barrel and rail are you using?

Its a Colt 6960

militarymoron
01-30-18, 08:01
It could be your handguard rotated a bit. Loosen those two bolts and see whether there's enough play between the two 'ears' and the sides of the receiver to rotate the handguard to the right. That might bring the front sight over to the right enough and center your rear.

sidewaysil80
01-30-18, 11:13
It could be your handguard rotated a bit. Loosen those two bolts and see whether there's enough play between the two 'ears' and the sides of the receiver to rotate the handguard to the right. That might bring the front sight over to the right enough and center your rear.

It seemed solid when I was fidgeting with it, but I'll def check that out. I'm going to throw a T-1 on it and see what it does, I'm hoping it's a defect with the iron sights as it shoots like a dream.

C4IGrant
01-30-18, 11:47
It is measured by windage clicks on the rear sight. Per the mil-std, there is a lot of room allowed here.

C4

markm
01-30-18, 12:57
It seemed solid when I was fidgeting with it, but I'll def check that out. I'm going to throw a T-1 on it and see what it does, I'm hoping it's a defect with the iron sights as it shoots like a dream.

You should be able to look down the receiver/rail and see if they're aligned properly. If the hand guard is clocked, it should be fairly obvious.

sidewaysil80
01-30-18, 13:04
It is measured by windage clicks on the rear sight. Per the mil-std, there is a lot of room allowed here.

C4

Thanks for the tip, did some digging and found this.

Mil-C-70599A in section 3.4.6 states:
"The normal rear sight peep (sight rotated fully rearward) shall be used with the rear sight set centrally in the slot for windage within plus or minus five (5) clicks."

I'm no where near 5, more like 35 or whatever the max on the Magpul MBUS Pro is.

C4IGrant
01-30-18, 13:23
Thanks for the tip, did some digging and found this.

Mil-C-70599A in section 3.4.6 states:
"The normal rear sight peep (sight rotated fully rearward) shall be used with the rear sight set centrally in the slot for windage within plus or minus five (5) clicks."

I'm no where near 5, more like 35 or whatever the max on the Magpul MBUS Pro is.

Yeah, that would be to many clicks.

C4