PDA

View Full Version : Permanent muzzle device

BillB
01-30-18, 11:27
If you have a 14.4 barrel and have to fix a device to it which would you choose since it will be ( almost) Permanent?
Going to build with a 14.5 barrel and don't know what flash hider/comp to go with.
I guess I'm looking for something to keep the muzzle flat for good quick follow up shots. It's just going to be a GP gun, nothing fancy. Not a 3 gunner. Flash suppression and keeping the sights on target are most important. 5.56 caliber. I like surefire products but haven't used their muzzle devices. I know they're long.
Please give me some advice. All of my guns are 16 " +.

officerX
01-30-18, 11:37
If you have a 14.4 barrel and have to fix a device to it which would you choose since it will be ( almost) Permanent?
Going to build with a 14.5 barrel and don't know what flash hider/comp to go with.
I guess I'm looking for something to keep the muzzle flat for good quick follow up shots. It's just going to be a GP gun, nothing fancy. Not a 3 gunner. Flash suppression and keeping the sights on target are most important. 5.56 caliber. I like surefire products but haven't used their muzzle devices. I know they're long.
The BCM A2X will get you to 16" at a cheap price.

joeyjoe
01-30-18, 11:52
The BCM Gunfighter comp is a pretty solid compromise device. The Surefire Warcomp is a bit milder in the flash and blast department, but is less aggressive as a comp. You stated that you want to minimize both flash and muzzle movement. You will find that it is a constant rule that flash/blast suppression and muzzle stability/"flatness" have an inverse relationship with one another. In my personal experience, you just don't get one without sacrificing the other. So...which category is more important to you? Over the years, i have moved further away from comps and closer to flash suppression. Additionally, i really do like the 14.5" mid length setup. As a result, i have ended up in pretty boring territory as far as muzzle devices go. Most of my uppers are now 14.5" mid length uppers with permanently attached BCM A2X (extended A2 birdcage) muzzle devices. The others, as stated, either have the BCM comp or a Warcomp. Most comps are just too blasty for my taste and i find the A2X to be a perfectly usable device with much better than average flash/blast suppression. It really depends on what you are trying to do and what properties are most important to you?

Rhyyke
01-30-18, 12:00
As the poster above stated, I find the BCM Mod 1 and SF Warcomp to be pretty good balances between flash suppression and muzzle control. I went through a comp phase where I used a couple of those howitzer looking one's but have since ditched all of them.

For maximum flash suppression, I like the BE Meyers 249f. It's pretty heavy which also helps with muzzle rise, but it's also long as hell.

My personal favorite for muzzle rise without being too annoying is the KAC MAMS, though that one is pricey.

01-30-18, 12:20
The BCM A2X will get you to 16" at a cheap price.
This, and done.

TexasAggie2005
01-30-18, 12:21
...I like surefire products but haven't used their muzzle devices...

If you want Surefire; 3P Eliminator for unsuppressed, SF3P if you plan on getting a suppressor in the future.

Sry0fcr
01-30-18, 12:40
For overall performance for the money I don't think anyone can beat the extended A2. You're going to have to spend a bunch more money to out "A2" the A2.

Jwknutson17
01-30-18, 12:42
KAC MAMS or a PA AFAB.

LookAtYourself
01-30-18, 13:45

Maybe a precision armament e-fab? I haven't shot one myself but i have done some searching to find the "best" muzzle device for the best balance between flash reduction and compensation and from the videos i've seen, it does a better job at reducing muzzle flash than an A2 but still offers some compensation. It does a better job at hiding muzzle flash than the a-fab too...the only caveat is that thing is expensive. AND they recommend you use "their" shim set to mount it.

KAC MAMS is nice too, but....that thing is even more expensive.

BillB
01-30-18, 14:45
Wow, thanks for all of the help. Seems to be my lucky day, I have 2 BCM units that are take offs of new rifles. They're not the extended models though. The mod0? I think, anyway, they're the shorter ones.

I don't mind spending a little for a sarcoma or other good piece of gear, especially since it will be pinned and welded. I'd like to have a decent balance between flash suppression and quick follow ups but I guess if I had to pick I'd go with quick follow up and flat shooting.
MAMS, yes expensive, maybe a little too so. I'll look around.

Rhyyke
01-30-18, 15:57
I don't think the Mod 0 will get a 14.5 to 16, however if your barrels are already 16" then you're good to go.

BillB
01-30-18, 16:02
Yeah, what a bummer, they won't. Oh well. The search continues.

Tigwelder1971
01-30-18, 20:15
ADCO spacer and std. A2 on 14.5" is cheap and easy.

I fabbed my own spacers.

scottryan
01-30-18, 20:48
How about not permanently affixing a muzzle device?

18bravo
01-30-18, 21:01
Check out the Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider. It is used by the US military on a variety of weapons from the M4 up to the M2 .50 cal. And it extends the 14.5" barrel beyond 16". Here is a picture of the Vortex on my M4 with a 14.5" barrel. And is also allows the use of a bayonet for you old school infantry guys.

AR-n-Ky
01-30-18, 21:08
JP Enterprise three prong flash hider. It even has a hole in it for the purpose of pinning.

It's also a fairly good, as in one of the best flash hiders out there.

BillB
01-31-18, 16:08
What am I missing? If it's a 14.5 tube dont I have to? Please, if I don't know something inform me. Or, are you simply saying go 16"? If that's the case, I do have 16s but not a 14.5.

BillB
01-31-18, 16:19
I will look at the JP unit for sure. Everything I've seen or used that said JP on it was quality stuff.
It seems I'm obsessing about the Surefire units. What would you personally classify the warcomps as, more comp or more flash suppressor? Anybody use the closed end comp vs the 3 prong open end? Like? Dislike? Either? Both?
What about the Warden, anyone use them and like or hate them? How do you feel about CRDs in general? I know they dont operate in conjunction with comps but with brakes but Im curious.
Again, thanks for your help.

Rhyyke
01-31-18, 16:48
I run both the closed and open warcomps. I don't perceive any difference between the two.

They are less loud than an actual break, and seem to have the same flash suppression ability as my KAC three prong. I don't have a scientific way of measuring it, just what I've noticed.

joeyjoe
01-31-18, 17:56
Warcomps are biased more towards flash suppression.

Iraqgunz
01-31-18, 18:44
Here is what many people miss. If you were to compare a 16" and 14.5" side by side with the comparable or required muzzle devices you will see that the difference in overall length is minimal. What isn't minimal is the cost of a muzzle device and the pin and weld. Should you desire to make some configuration changes (like people tend to do) then you are restricting in the type of rail, etc.. unless it uses a common barrel nut.

Should you need to remove the pin and weld, the muzzle device many times will not survive the removal. Then you will need pay for a new MD, and the pin and weld.

What am I missing? If it's a 14.5 tube dont I have to? Please, if I don't know something inform me. Or, are you simply saying go 16"? If that's the case, I do have 16s but not a 14.5.

SteveL
01-31-18, 19:09
Maybe a precision armament e-fab? I haven't shot one myself but i have done some searching to find the "best" muzzle device for the best balance between flash reduction and compensation and from the videos i've seen, it does a better job at reducing muzzle flash than an A2 but still offers some compensation. It does a better job at hiding muzzle flash than the a-fab too...the only caveat is that thing is expensive. AND they recommend you use "their" shim set to mount it.

KAC MAMS is nice too, but....that thing is even more expensive.

I have an Afab and it's a good all-around device IMO. The Efab is both larger and more expensive . I personally feel it's too large. As far as their shim kit goes, I used it and I like it because it's clean looking and simple. Whether it's worth the cost is for you to decide.

turnburglar
01-31-18, 20:04
I just pinned a 4 prong that I got for cheap, and comparing my 4 prong to my BCM comp on my other gun, I wish I would have pinned the BCM comp. Maximum flash reduction isn't my priority, and I am kinda envious of the recoil signature on the BCM comped carbine.

18bravo
01-31-18, 20:22
What am I missing? If it's a 14.5 tube dont I have to? Please, if I don't know something inform me. Or, are you simply saying go 16"? If that's the case, I do have 16s but not a 14.5.Having a 14.5" barrel is simply a preference. In order to not have to go thru the hassle of submitting the NFA paperwork, fees, and 10-month wait for an SBR stamp, you can have an appropriate muzzle device pinned and welded in place, which makes your barrel a legal 16". I say an appropriate muzzle device because I found that the standard A2 flash hider with crush washer did not meet the required 16" length on a Colt 14.5" barrel. The Smith Enterprise Vortex is longer than the standard flash hider so it met the requirements. It cost me $25 to have the pin and welding done at my LGS. I very rarely ever swapped out muzzle devices once I found one that met my needs so the permanent mounting was not an issue. For me, I wanted the ability to mount a bayonet (a topic for another discussion), so the 14.5" barrel was required. So for $25 I got a legal SBR, and I can mount my bayonet, and use my Smith Enterprise Windtalker suppressor - so I am a happy camper. If a bayonet is not a requirement, then a 16" barrel should work just fine for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk