PDA

View Full Version : Buyer beware: Runner Runner Guns of McKinney, TX

TexHill
01-30-18, 19:17
I manage a LGS in Denton County Texas which is near Runner Runner Guns' store front in McKinney. I just got my first look at one of their rifles and I was not impressed to say the least. A customer brought in his Runner Runner assembled rifle that he says he purchased from them two days ago for $1,500. He said that while he was shooting it the stock became loose. Then he noticed the castle nut had backed off on the receiver extension and the rear takedown pin detent spring was damaged. Upon inspection I found that the castle nut was not staked at all - they didn't bother to lock-tite it either - and that the gas key screws on the BCG while staked, where not staked properly. I also observed fine aluminum shavings down in the trigger group.

I asked him what Runner Runner's warranty was and he said that they told him the rifle had a lifetime warranty as long as he didn't shoot steal cased ammo through it. There was nothing special about this rifle to warrant the $1,500 price tag - it was their rollmark on the lower with a Troy handguard. I told him to: take it back to them and demand a refund; go buy himself a Colt 6920 for under $900; and then use what money is left over for a better hand guard.

Just thought I would give the community a heads up in case anyone might be considering purchasing a rifle from them.

Stickman
01-30-18, 23:52
I manage a LGS in Denton County Texas which is near Runner Runner Guns' store front in McKinney. I just got my first look at one of their rifles and I was not impressed to say the least. A customer brought in his Runner Runner assembled rifle that he says he purchased from them two days ago for $1,500. He said that while he was shooting it the stock became loose. Then he noticed the castle nut had backed off on the receiver extension and the rear takedown pin detent spring was damaged. Upon inspection I found that the castle nut was not staked at all - they didn't bother to lock-tite it either - and that the gas key screws on the BCG while staked, where not staked properly. I also observed fine aluminum shavings down in the trigger group.

I asked him what Runner Runner's warranty was and he said that they told him the rifle had a lifetime warranty as long as he didn't shoot steal cased ammo through it. There was nothing special about this rifle to warrant the $1,500 price tag - it was their rollmark on the lower with a Troy handguard. I told him to: take it back to them and demand a refund; go buy himself a Colt 6920 for under $900; and then use what money is left over for a better hand guard.

Just thought I would give the community a heads up in case anyone might be considering purchasing a rifle from them.

Lots of companies don’t stake the receiver extension, parts tend to come loose on some of them.

TexHill
01-31-18, 03:20
Lots of companies don’t stake the receiver extension, parts tend to come loose on some of them.

Yep, and I wouldn't give $1,500 for them either. I own a Colt 6920 and a Daniel Defense rifle. Both have properly staked receiver extensions and gas keys. Neither one came with extra aluminum shavings however.

Iraqgunz
01-31-18, 03:33
That same company also had some batches of lowers a couple of years back that were grossly out of spec. My dream is that one day people will actually heed good advice and buy smartly.

Leaveammoforme
01-31-18, 03:38
Dang. They have 80%er's for $33 each.

I've been doing the (say it all in one breath) "Bored guy with no current project wandering around in the garage and staring at metal wondering what he should build from it" dance lately.

80%er's hold my interest and make time fly.

AKDoug
01-31-18, 10:57
Just from a marketing standpoint, you are never going to make it in the big time with a name like "Runner Runner"

Renegade
01-31-18, 11:58
Just from a marketing standpoint, you are never going to make it in the big time with a name like "Runner Runner"

Actually they have been doing quite well. Retail, Mail Order for years. Seemed to have survived the post-election slowdown, even had a booth a SHOT this year.

I agree though, "Runner, Runner" (a poker name) would not have been my choice either. Nor the playing card logo.

rjacobs
01-31-18, 12:02
Ive bought a few lowers from their shop, but not their brand. Aero Precision stuff. The price was right, but its an hour or so drive for me so not some place I frequent.

I do remember their house guns were over priced and gaudy as hell. I didnt check out how they were assembled very closely after thinking "nah, ill get a daniel defense for CHEAPER"...

heavygunner8
01-31-18, 12:07
Why would anyone buy from Runner Runner when Daniel Defense is at the same price.

chuckman
01-31-18, 12:32
Why would anyone buy from Runner Runner when Daniel Defense is at the same price.

Or just name the boutique-same-price-AR-du jour...same argument

Lack of education and an overwhelming desire to buy something, anything....

Digital_Damage
01-31-18, 14:42

booth chicks?

Tigwelder1971
01-31-18, 14:51
Other than my factory Colts, I do not stake my castle nuts.

In 30 years I have never had one come loose.

(I don't bail out of copters either).

CPM
01-31-18, 15:08
Way to start a thread defecating on a competitor through second hand knowledge- that boils down to a loose castle nut. You're not even in the same county and I have yet to find a store outside of Rifle Gear in the North Texas area I would give my money. This thread should be moderated.

TexHill
01-31-18, 15:08

The fact that you've never had one come loose doesn't negate the fact that the castle nut is supposed to be staked, and for $1,500 I would expect everything to be done right.

I was curious to see if the customer was right about Runner Runner's warranty excluding steel cased ammo so I called their store. Sure enough, they will not warranty their guns if you shoot steel cased ammo through them. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but that's the first time I've heard of that exclusion.

TexHill
01-31-18, 15:11
Way to start a thread defecating on a competitor through second hand knowledge- that boils down to a loose castle nut. You're not even in the same county and I have yet to find a store outside of Rifle Gear in the North Texas area I would give my money. This thread should be moderated.

I had the gun in my hands and looked at it with my own eyes so there is nothing third hand about this thread

CPM
01-31-18, 15:13
I had the gun in my hands and looked at it with my own eyes so there is nothing third hand about this thread

Did you buy it? Then it's a least second hand. Also, what's the name of your esteemed store so close to McKinney, so us poor souls have an alternative?

For the record- I have never bought anything from Runner Runner, however the slanderous nature of this post irritates me.

Iraqgunz
01-31-18, 16:30
And yet they do in fact loosen, even when not bailing out of copters. It's an established fact.

Renegade
01-31-18, 16:35

I do not stake them either, never had one loose including years of post-sample F/A madness, but as mentioned it is proper procedure to stake it. I choose not to as I am constantly changing configurations.

Stickman
01-31-18, 16:57
And yet they do in fact loosen, even when not bailing out of copters. It's an established fact.

You are wasting your breath my friend. I know people who won't stake because they don't want to mar the finish or material. How do you get through to someone who places that as a priority?

We do our part to make the world a better place, but there are certain groups we won't ever reach.

MistWolf
01-31-18, 21:54
I do not stake my castle nuts

Of course you need to place stakes outside your castle, you nut! What else will you impale the heads of trespassers on?

Tzoid
02-02-18, 09:11
who knows what the owner did with the rifle after it left the store. I have no dog in the fight but this just seems like bad form.

In the past I have seen posts like this get locked and if it were a derogatory post about a site sponsor the OP would get banned or at a minimum sent to time out.

02-02-18, 09:31
Of course you need to place stakes outside your castle, you nut! What else will you impale the heads of trespassers on?

Best post in this thread.

Probably needs locked; nobody here is buying these things, anyway.