PDA

View Full Version : The Best Handgun for Men

MountainRaven
02-02-18, 23:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tb9-d1s__c

An important round table discussion, that I think we need to have more of.

How do we attract men to the shooting sports? How do we retain their interest?

What is the best handgun for the man in your life? Mossberg Shockwave? S&W 500? Desert Eagle? Beretta 93R?

(Satire.)

Firefly
02-03-18, 00:21
A Steyr GB.

Dont ask me why. I have rescue fantasies where I am tied up to a chair and this big, tall dark, black muscular Teal'c looking dude with a Steyr GB saves me and leads me to safety by my wrists with a firm grip that is powerful but shows he is in control.

Yeeeeeep

Diamondback
02-03-18, 00:32
A Steyr GB.

Dont ask me why. I have rescue fantasies where I am tied up to a chair and this big, tall dark, black muscular Teal'c looking dude with a Steyr GB saves me and leads me to safety by my wrists with a firm grip that is powerful but shows he is in control.

Yeeeeeep

You're gonna laugh... but in my nightmares about the GF being abducted and needing an extraction... right after the red tie goes on and my head finishes getting shaved... well, "47 Newman" grabs a pair of nickeled longslides.

ramairthree
02-03-18, 00:57
A Steyr GB.

Yeeeeeep

I so wanted one of those. In the 80s my cash was spent on my badass Z28 and lots of dates. Minimal funds went to firearms. One of my fellow Rangers was a barracks rat with no car, no dates, and all food from the chow hall. He had every cool gun then. Including a GB. The 16 inch city MP5, HK93, 91, etc. I wonder what his collection is like now.

But I bet he never woke up in a bed full of naked, disinhibted stoner SCAD chicks.

elephant
02-03-18, 01:35
How to attract anyone to the gun industry?

Is by making the culture more attractive. Noveske did that a few years ago. While every other manufacture was featuring LEO's, SWAT and military in there advertisements, Noveske used young men and women dressed in Patagonia jackets/vest sitting by a camp fire roasting marshmallows with a North Face tent in the back ground. SilencerCO followed similarly by advertising using people who were fly fishing and riding horses in the mountains and backpacking. Manufactures need to diversify their audience. Selling a product as a tactical product used in a life or death scenario is fine but might turn people away. Selling a product as a recreational- lifestyle product might have a larger audience.

The best handgun for men? Depends on what kind of man you are. If you still carry around a brick phone, than I think a 1911 would be perfect for you. Having said that, if your a fan of wearing leather jackets and folding your shirt collar over said jacket, than I think a Smith & Wesson 5906 would suit you just fine. If your a simple man with simple taste, a Glock will do you just right. If you have no friends and wear Crocs, than I would recommend a Hi-Point 9, If your into luxury and have expensive taste, I would recommend a Heckler & Koch P30, if you have to have something that resembles what the military might have, I would recommend a Berretta 92 or Sig Sauer P226, if you grew up watching Miami Vice, love 80's music and wear Ray Ban's, i would sugest a Bren Ten or Detonics.

Guns like watches or cufflinks, are... in an essence, accessories. Your gun and you should look good together. If john Wick pulled out a Taurus- the movie would suck. If Neil and Chris from the movie HEAT were using Kel-Tec Sub 2000's during the bank heist shootout, that scene would have really sucked. Likewise also, if Tom Cruise in the movie Collateral was going around L.A. killing people with a Hi-Point 9, it would have sucked really balls!! The gun you own should fit your personality as well as fit your lifestyle.

Wake27
02-03-18, 02:19
Um, 1911. Not sure how there's even a debate.

JC5188
02-03-18, 04:43
You're gonna laugh... but in my nightmares about the GF being abducted and needing an extraction... right after the red tie goes on and my head finishes getting shaved... well, "47 Newman" grabs a pair of nickeled longslides.

Hardballers, I presume?

GH41
02-03-18, 05:28
I so wanted one of those. In the 80s my cash was spent on my badass Z28 and lots of dates. Minimal funds went to firearms. One of my fellow Rangers was a barracks rat with no car, no dates, and all food from the chow hall. He had every cool gun then. Including a GB. The 16 inch city MP5, HK93, 91, etc. I wonder what his collection is like now.

But I bet he never woke up in a bed full of naked, disinhibted stoner SCAD chicks.

SCAD chicks??? You must have been at HAAF.

flenna
02-03-18, 05:36
A S&W 4506. I nice, big hunk of steel throwing a real man 's round.

gaijin
02-03-18, 05:44
Um, 1911. Not sure how there's even a debate.

No doubt- and it's gotta be in .45 ACP.

Firefly
02-03-18, 07:41
-Made in America by Smith and Wesson, not Europe by rich perverts
-Looks like the .45 Longslide from Terminator 1
-Holds 8 rounds because you know you can handle business under 6
-Heavy and large so as to exclude women and males of weak blood
-Stainless Steel, not black or polymer, so when you bust in on a full up dope house eveeybody knows you are gonna shoot dat ass if they dont STFU and STFD.
-Scientificially optimal geometry for pistol whipping
-Was on Miami Vice and was carried by Don Johnson
-Was dual wielded by Alonzo Harris
-Gets women pregnant if they stand next to one too long.
-Beats the Beretta Glock and Sig. As in you could literally beat the aforementioned pistols into scrap with the 4506.
-Ever heard of the guy who took shit off people while carrying a 4506? Me neither.

HardToHandle
02-03-18, 09:24
How to attract anyone to the gun industry?

Is by making the culture more attractive. Noveske did that a few years ago. While every other manufacture was featuring LEO's, SWAT and military in there advertisements, Noveske used young men and women dressed in Patagonia jackets/vest sitting by a camp fire roasting marshmallows with a North Face tent in the back ground. SilencerCO followed similarly by advertising using people who were fly fishing and riding horses in the mountains and backpacking. Manufactures need to diversify their audience. Selling a product as a tactical product used in a life or death scenario is fine but might turn people away. Selling a product as a recreational- lifestyle product might have a larger audience.

Guns like watches or cufflinks, are... in an essence, accessories.

Firefly has the 4506 right. My memories of the approx four pound gun is it was only carried by generic toilet paper guys - the ones who took no shit off anyone. The one time I was on the wrong end is burned into my memory with the “oh my God, that is a huge hole”.

To Elephant’s point, gun marketing skewed dramatically to self protection over the last 25 years, following the CCW trend. The 80’s and before marketing and industry image seemed more outdoorsy focused, so going to the traditional roots is smart money. Hell, I have been in Patagonia for 35 years. When the trendy tween posers are buying self-driving minivans in 15 years, I will still be wearing my then 35 year old Patagonia Dimension jacket.

To the upscale outdoors audience, I have a cousin who is a CEO of considerable regional corporation. He can buy an upscale truck on plastic and pay it off next month. Closet full of Arcteryx for the weekend. He is a SIG guy for life. He also is not going to respond to the Camo face 1980’s HK advertising. Capturing the demographic young pays off for the boutique audience.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-03-18, 09:34
Anything with an arm brace.

mack7.62
02-03-18, 09:41
-Beats the Beretta Glock and Sig. As in you could literally beat the aforementioned pistols into scrap with the 4506.

HaHaHa That right there is funny....and true.:haha:

Chameleox
02-03-18, 10:42

EXACTLY.

As much as we might deride the hipster/lumbersexual/urban types, they're a budding market for firearms. Noveske and SilencerCo, like you mentioned, get it. I think SilencerCo in particular, as their adverts are heavily geared towards recreational shooters for whom sound suppression is value-added to their outdoor experience, vs an operational necessity. Vortex also does this well, by speaking to the hunting market.

dwhitehorne
02-03-18, 11:11
I can't believe this in even being discussed. Inspector Callahan told us many years ago. David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0lvp7a7pmk

ramairthree
02-03-18, 11:20
SCAD chicks??? You must have been at HAAF.

Yes. And in that era only had about 1500-2500 students, mostly women, and I don’t think it was accredited yet. So it was fully of daddy issue, borderline personality, rich art chicks hell bent on shocking their parents. A young taller, ruggeder Tom Cruisey looking type warrior poet guy could score like a rockstar all weekend.

ramairthree
02-03-18, 11:23
While I have never had a 4506,
I have a 1006 and 1086.
And a 5906 and 6906.

I love them.

LoboTBL
02-03-18, 11:34
I can't believe revolvers got no mention at all. Why can't there be a Magnum Research BFR in .475 Linebaugh in woodland camo with an integral rail?

flenna
02-03-18, 11:38
-Stainless Steel, not black or polymer, so when you bust in on a full up dope house eveeybody knows you are gonna shoot dat ass if they dont STFU and STFD.
-Ever heard of the guy who took shit off people while carrying a 4506? Me neither.

Dangit. I know I brought up the 4506 but ^^^^^ this right here makes me want to run out and buy one. Now.

soulezoo
02-03-18, 12:08
I have a 226. I have Glocks. I have 1911's. I have a 5906. Never liked Berettas (except my shotguns) even the 93r (which I never had, photoshopped or otherwise).

I have a 629. Because of Harry of course. But that can lead to claims of overcompensating. Which I don't need to do. I had a PPK once. Because it was cool. But that was also fantasy and delusional. From a real or practical defense standpoint.

No, what I have, and Fly touched on it, is an original Bren Ten. All double stacked SA/DA sweet trigger and accurate sexiness. That's my man's gun there. Goes 100 miles an hour standing still. Wins arm wrestling other autos. Rare, sexy unobtanium. The most interesting semi-auto in the world. We don't often drink whiskey, but when we do, it's Pappy Van Winkle 23 yo family reserve. ��

Firefly
02-03-18, 12:54
I have a 1006 and 1086.
And a 5906 and 6906.

I love them.

OMG why are we not friends?

Per SCAD chicks, they aint what they used to be but boy oh boy they can be so freaky deaky. Goth chicks are my kryptonite.
I know of more than one who went on to be Suicide Girls.....

elephant
02-03-18, 14:03

that is literally all that matters.

MegademiC
02-03-18, 14:21
10mm. I’ve been told it will blow a mans arm off.

Edit to fix some wierd autocorrect.

AKDoug
02-03-18, 14:22
that is literally all that matters.

I more identify with Tubbs and his short barreled shotguns.

Dienekes
02-03-18, 15:04
Floyd R. Turbo, American: .38 S&W top break.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKofZe_FWg

Firefly
02-03-18, 15:08
I more identify with Tubbs and his short barreled shotguns.

OG Ithaca 37 but he was also fond of his hammerless S&W .38s.

I think he only used an autopistol one time but kept two or three hammerless snubbies.

His Hogleg did his talking

seb5
02-03-18, 15:17
When I think of real man guns I think back to my childhood reading stories by Skeeter Skelton, Charles Askins, and Elmer Keith. Colt Peacemakers, Smth and Wessons, and 1911's.

Firefly
02-03-18, 15:29
Agree. Esp. 1911. If I said "1911s remind me of a grizzled Platoon Sergeant sitting and resting after a long day with a cigarette in his fingers, sipping water, and an oiled Colt 1911 on his hip"

you could ask "Which war?"

And I could honestly say "Every one since WWI" and it'd be true to some extent.

It may not be the "best" pistol anymore but it is certainly iconic.

You just thought of Alvin York, Audie Murphy, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, and GWOT.

It's just a timeless, iconic image of tired, hardened sweat stained men with US steel on their side.

Dist. Expert 26
02-03-18, 16:17
Word on the 1911.

When I strap mine on I can feel the spirit of the great JMB riding with me. What else could a man ask for?

SteyrAUG
02-03-18, 19:05
Word on the 1911.

When I strap mine on I can feel the spirit of the great JMB riding with me. What else could a man ask for?

A Bren Ten?

Diamondback
02-03-18, 19:24
Hardballers, I presume?

Someone who gets it! LOL (You're gonna laugh at this... I had a Psych prof in college who made the Hitman games, particularly Hitman 2, part of my homework.)

The other side of the split personality favors a blacksuit and an Automag or Desert Eagle... (think Mack Bolan putting Dennis Nedry through Remedial Tactical Training. LOL)

Dist. Expert 26
02-03-18, 19:25
A Bren Ten?

Meh. Not by cup of tea.

SteyrAUG
02-03-18, 19:30
Meh. Not by cup of tea.

But...Miami Vice...

soulezoo
02-03-18, 19:39
But...Miami Vice...

Yeah baby! Wish I had a Testarossa....

Dist. Expert 26
02-03-18, 19:44
But...Miami Vice...

Tad before my time I believe.

Wake27
02-03-18, 20:02

I'm with you.

Diamondback
02-03-18, 20:18
No doubt- and it's gotta be in .45 ACP.

What about .45 Super or .450SMC, the hotter-loaded "beyond +P" versions?

Kain
02-03-18, 20:31
Meh, you're all wrong. The best choice would be the MK23. Not only is it over engineered to hell and back, but it is also the only pistol which can be said to be an offensive handgun. All the other options are only defensive. Plus, Solid Snake used one to clear out Shadow Moses Island, and he was cloned from the greatest solider in history. :cool:

Firefly
02-03-18, 20:51
Meh, you're all wrong. The best choice would be the MK23. Not only is it over engineered to hell and back, but it is also the only pistol which can be said to be an offensive handgun. All the other options are only defensive. Plus, Solid Snake used one to clear out Shadow Moses Island, and he was cloned from the greatest solider in history. :cool:

.....who used a 1911.

Kain
02-03-18, 21:50
.....who used a 1911.

Because the Mk23 wasn't invented yet ;)
Also, let's not forget he also had to keep a knife handy at all times because it was a 1911. :eek:

Dennis
02-03-18, 22:15
I have a 1006 and 1086.
And a 5906 and 6906.

I love them.

S&W 3rd gens were our first generally authorized .45's back in the 90s and all the long repressed 9mm 92F gunfighters went through needless days of transition training to be able to carry one. If you saw a 4506 in a swivel holster you knew the copper wearing it was serious!

I carried a 4566 in a low ride Roger's level 3 holster and 4513 as backup on my vest.

Ironically when Glocks were finally authorized and standard academy issue so many new guys wanted to emulate the old school ghetto coppers they had to offer transition courses to go backwards and carry the S&W 3rd gens!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Firefly
02-03-18, 22:18
Because the Mk23 wasn't invented yet ;)
Also, let's not forget he also had to keep a knife handy at all times because it was a 1911. :eek:

If we wanna get anal about this, Mr. Man, his back up gun was a S&W 39 that shot tranq darts :p

Fun Story, I shot a relatives Mark 23 and have been told I make it look like a normal USP.

It's not a bad gun at all, really. Just stupid large for a double stack .45. I mean it is accurate, sucks up +P like nothing, and has built in suppressor sights. It does everything the Special Forces guys wanted it to do circa 1994; it just had a Twilight Zone/M. Night Shamalan twist of being ridiculously oversized.

Firefly
02-03-18, 22:32
S&W 3rd gens were our first generally authorized .45's back in the 90s and all the long repressed 9mm 92F gunfighters went through needless days of transition training to be able to carry one. If you saw a 4506 in a swivel holster you knew the copper wearing it was serious!

I carried a 4566 in a low ride Roger's level 3 holster and 4513 as backup on my vest.

Ironically when Glocks were finally authorized and standard academy issue so many new guys wanted to emulate the old school ghetto coppers they had to offer transition courses to go backwards and carry the S&W 3rd gens!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That is heartwarming.

Being a ghetto poleese and toting a 4506 seems to go hand in hand.

My 4506 dies when I do. If I have no heirs, I'm taking a bandsaw to it.

I wont forget that old Safariland. It was crappy really. So I bought a Don Hume basketweave holster with my own money. I admit I wanted a swivel but it was verboten.

Shoot.... I been to some raunchy places with a Smith 45, a .44 spl snub, and an 870 in the car and never once felt at a deficit.

Now these square kids act like if they dont have an M4 done up like Delta Force that they are "sitting ducks".

Soy Boys indeed.

FTOs of the world, take your rookie to a ghetto BBQ joint and start helping make Law Enforcement Great Again. You know the ones. With the bars on the windows. Smoke billowing out. Health Dept. dont even bother to show up. Old school Soul and R&B thumping.

That's livin'

SteyrAUG
02-03-18, 23:14
If we wanna get anal about this, Mr. Man, his back up gun was a S&W 39 that shot tranq darts :p

Fun Story, I shot a relatives Mark 23 and have been told I make it look like a normal USP.

It's not a bad gun at all, really. Just stupid large for a double stack .45. I mean it is accurate, sucks up +P like nothing, and has built in suppressor sights. It does everything the Special Forces guys wanted it to do circa 1994; it just had a Twilight Zone/M. Night Shamalan twist of being ridiculously oversized.

In fairness, it was also the first handgun to unify Browning / Walther designs that led directly to the USP. The Mk23 was a lot like the Borchardt, a big ungainly execution of a genius idea that led directly to the most modern handgun of the time, the P-08 Luger.

Kain
02-03-18, 23:16

Why do you have to bring ass into every conversation ;) lol.

If you make the MK23 look like a normal USP then you must have hands larger than ol' Mikey Stonebridge who at first I thought was rocking a glock 19 in Strikeback. Only to later find out it was a 17. It does also explain why the Glock 21 fits you well. You also forgot to mention that you can use a MK23 to beat a man to death with, given how large it is. I sometimes feel that is a requirement for some gear, big, tough, and able to be used for lethal doses of blunt force trauma. For, as nice as some glocks are, they just don't pistol whip as nice as the guns of yesteryear.

To be honest, I do still want a Mk23, and if I hit the lottery I'd buy one. Though, to be honest, the Mk23 probably should have been issued with a shoulder stock as large as that thing is. I did rack up a fair body count with one hanging upside down from a rope in Rainbow Six, New Vegas 2 many moons ago though. One terry hunt used it to rack up like 12 of the 48 tangos I dropped that game. And yes, my team sucked.

SteyrAUG
02-03-18, 23:17
My 4506 dies when I do. If I have no heirs, I'm taking a bandsaw to it.

BS. Your duty is to find a suitable heir, even if you have to mentor and create one.

Personally, I think I'm going to create a internet scavenger hunt and the winner gets most of my guns.

SteyrAUG
02-03-18, 23:18

And 1911s aren't?

MountainRaven
02-03-18, 23:45

First, they have these things called DVDs. You can use them to watch things over and over again.

Second, I bought a 4506 because of Miami Vice. And I was born in the mid-80s.

SteyrAUG
02-04-18, 00:38
Ok, sometime around 1994 somebody (probably para ordnance) made a 1911 with a spike on the butt behind the magazine. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

I can't find it on a search but remember it on the cover of Handgunner magazine.

Kain
02-04-18, 08:32
Ok, sometime around 1994 somebody (probably para ordnance) made a 1911 with a spike on the butt behind the magazine. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

I can't find it on a search but remember it on the cover of Handgunner magazine.

I have never seen that.

But, I do remember this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oopUgfuXp8o

I just want to see the guy do an immediate action drill with this thing so bad.

Dist. Expert 26
02-04-18, 09:06
And 1911s aren't?

1911s are timeless. Old TV shows, not so much.

_Stormin_
02-04-18, 10:00
Personally, I think I'm going to create a internet scavenger hunt and the winner gets most of my guns.
http://deargodwhyussports.com/uploads/2/1/9/7/2197555/5610351.jpeg?510
I would be taking vacation time from work for that one. What has been shared here over the years alone is a damned museum collection. :-)

As far as a man's gun, I'd say that every MAN should have at least one quality 1911 in 45 ACP. Not a Gucci gun either, but a reputable version of old slabsides and a quality holster for it.

I would love to say AutoMag or the BrenTen, but out of production guns that now change hands for four grand aren't a great call. You want a pistol that every man can get his man hands on.

Arik
02-04-18, 10:54
I have a 1006 and 1086.
And a 5906 and 6906.

I love them.I ended up selling my 4506, 1006 and 1026 a few years ago! I must have been on something!! All I have is a 5906 left

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MistWolf
02-04-18, 10:59
The Automag is no longer out of production. The ultimate "Man's Gun", Big Thunder is back and better than ever. With an MSRP of $3200, you don't have to pay over $4000 to a collector for the percentage of sliding one into your shoulder holster.

Mack Bolan approves of this message.

ramairthree
02-04-18, 11:32
BS. Your duty is to find a suitable heir, even if you have to mentor and create one.

Ready..
Shooter..
One....

JC5188
02-04-18, 12:02
Someone who gets it! LOL (You're gonna laugh at this... I had a Psych prof in college who made the Hitman games, particularly Hitman 2, part of my homework.)

The other side of the split personality favors a blacksuit and an Automag or Desert Eagle... (think Mack Bolan putting Dennis Nedry through Remedial Tactical Training. LOL)

Lol...I actually know a chick who has the barcode. [emoji41]

jpmuscle
02-04-18, 12:10
I vote Glock 19 because every man should be well learned in the art of murder and violence whilst utilizing the most efficient and pragmatically appropriate tool available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeruMew
02-04-18, 13:03
Shot a 1911 for the very first time last night. Based on the orange sized area of target blasted out, it speaks for itself.

Kain
02-04-18, 20:34
I vote Glock 19 because every man should be well learned in the art of murder and violence whilst utilizing the most efficient and pragmatically appropriate tool available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murder? I ain't never murdered no one. Now, killed? That might be a different story. But, I tend to be a live and let live guy up until the point I am not. Then, well, I was always a fan of John Kelly. At which point I must say something in .45ACP does have a bit of a draw.

sgtrock82
02-04-18, 21:08
(Worst photo of) The manliest handgun Ive got https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180205/5714a1cbea09f0806e31b1e93d18fb3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
02-04-18, 21:13
(Worst photo of) The manliest handgun Ive got https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180205/5714a1cbea09f0806e31b1e93d18fb3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That's just beautiful.

Firefly
02-04-18, 21:22
The 1917....

The gun that brought Colt and S&W together to make the exact same gun (but keeping their unique cylinder releases)

That's impressive history it is

Per Steyr's mystery gun: Do you think it may have been a Fabriggio?

lowprone
02-04-18, 21:42
Blue, 4" 4 screw pre M-29 w/elk horn magna's, for the hell of it.

AndyLate
02-04-18, 21:44
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

SeriousStudent
02-04-18, 21:54
That's a great 1917, sgtrock82!

I remember when a bunch of those were reimported back in the 1990's. I had one that was converted to round butt grips, hammer bobbed, and barrel cut and crowned to 3 inches. Loaded it with those old Speer 200-grain JHP "Flying Ashtray" rounds.

A local smith made it for me, and I had a matching holster and full moon clip holder for it. Pistol in the right pocket of the wool topcoat, a pair of moon clips in the left pocket. Perfect winter gun.

It shot very well. Medical bills forced its sale, and I really regret having to sell it. :(

sgtrock82
02-04-18, 22:19
Thanks for the compliments guys!
I actually bought this from a old guy I use to work with a while back. Bore is a bit rough and it came with some bougie plastic grips. I thankfully found an opportunity to "invest" in some proper walnut but I think I still need to find a blued or parked grip screw.

I definitely think this is going to be my TEOTWAWKI/Walk the Earth side arm. I just need a quality repro holster to hang off my old khaki pistol belt.

Then on to pick the Badest assest last stand bolt rifle; Springfield, Mauser or Enfield

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Firefly
02-04-18, 22:23
M1 Garand, my dude.

Why waltz when you can rock and roll?

OH58D
02-04-18, 22:42
For the 19th Century, the Colt Single Action Army with 7.5 inch barrel. For the early part of the 20th Century, the 1911. For this part of the 21st Century, I have totally enjoyed the FN FNP-45; robust, accurate and large magazine capacity.

elephant
02-04-18, 22:57
This is what people think they look like carrying a 1911:

But in reality, this is what they actually look like:

"Look at me, I carry a gun that was invented around the time the Titanic sank!"

Just remember, the 1911.45 was designed during a time when a man had to start his car by turning a hand crank located in the front of the car!

Arik
02-04-18, 23:00

Just remember, the 1911.45 was designed during a time when a man had to start his car by turning a hand crank located in the front of the car!Don't forget the DI system dates back to 1900. 11 years older than the 1911. There hasn't been anything new since what?.... about the 30s? Maybe earlier.

Sig - French model 1935A
Beretta - Walther
Glock - Browning

Firefly
02-04-18, 23:16
Discount 1911s at your own risk.

When I was a bit more open, every lass I took shooting loved my 1911 and wanted one of their own. It was comfortable, had a light trigger, and they were able to hit what they wanted.

I'm going to get a .22 kit and a 9mm 1911 one day. It isn't perfect, but I could live a full life with just a 1911 although I'd prefer my SW 639 more.

I doubt a 1911 will ever lose its relevancy despite its age and newer handguns.

elephant
02-04-18, 23:19
Don't forget the DI system dates back to 1900. 11 years older than the 1911. There hasn't been anything new since what?.... about the 30s? Maybe earlier.

Sig - French model 1935A
Beretta - Walther
Glock - Browning

The Heckler & Koch G11, don't tell me that design is based of something from the 1930's. Revolutionary, robust, dependable, ergonomic and breathtakingly brilliant!

MountainRaven
02-04-18, 23:21
Then on to pick the Badest assest last stand bolt rifle; Springfield, Mauser or Enfield

M1917 "Enfield".

It's not really an Enfield, it's just easier for use Americans to call it that.

The M1903 Springfield is a target rifle. The Enfield is one of the most jam-prone manual operation firearms there is (at least in the original 303 British caliber). The Mauser is great, but the sights are horrid.

The M1917 gives you what are probably the best iron sights of any bolt action battle rifle of the 20th Century, the reliability of the Mauser, with the smooth, fast cock-on-close action of the Enfield. And no risk of rimlock. Takes the same stripper clips as the Gew98, M1903, and other Gewehr 98 clones.

Just remember, the 1911.45 was designed during a time when a man had to start his car by turning a hand crank located in the front of the car!

Let's be real: If you're not using a quantum entanglement gun to simply unexist your enemies, you're frankly just using a complicated, expensive slingshot.

elephant
02-04-18, 23:25

probably not, but people need to quit arguing that its the best pistol and comparing it to Glocks. They are literally comparing a gun that was made by steam powered- belt driven machines and drop hammer forge presses that some guy had to shovel coal into a boiler to keep the machine shop operating, to a gun that is manufactured using thermoplastics and an extrusion press- I know the 1911's are manufactured today using state of the art CNC machines and 3d CAD software- but you get the point. I hate the 1911 comparisons. I'm stirring the pot here, I own one BTW.

glocktogo
02-04-18, 23:31
What, no Fitz Specials in 38-44 Heavy Duty?

A + one for 4506's, 1006's and clean pre-2000 1911 builds. Same goes for 4" model 19's, which is definitely a man's gun.

But if you really wanna go big, shoot a full 6 stage local match with a 629MG using full house LSWC's, and don't suck doing it. :)

elephant
02-04-18, 23:32
we should really start a thread and discuss the guns we think made a huge impact or design feature that was revolutionary. I thin Arik said it best that in reality, nothing new has come about since around the mid 1930's to the mid 1940's. I know Browning Hi Power's and Colt 1911's are generally the standard at which all guns are judged on but if you think about it that's why everyone compares them to Glock's because Glock has nothing pre WW2 to compare it to. Maybe in this era , 2018 in the year of our Lord, we have achieved the pinnacle of firearm design, but like 50 years ago.

Diamondback
02-04-18, 23:34
"Best" is the biggest, most powerful weapon that specific individual can carry all day and still get results with. For some of us Glocks fit better, for some it's Beretta, for others 1911s.

Though I will note that I have never heard of ANYBODY in the history of armed conflict say "Yeah, he ONLY shot me with a .22!" and a former THR-that-was-before-it-went-to-Hell mod once reported on a One Shot Stop with a lowly .25ACP.
https://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/06/darwin-is-rotter.html

ramairthree
02-04-18, 23:38
And yet the 1911 remains the dominant platform in high speed accuracy competition

Granted, the costs and time to keep one in top running accurate and reliable condition vs other platforms is not negligible.

Firefly
02-04-18, 23:49
And yet the 1911 remains the dominant platform in high speed accuracy competition

Granted, the costs and time to keep one in top running accurate and reliable condition vs other platforms is not negligible.

I dunno about stuff like SVIs/STI 2011s but I no joke had my Kimber put up for 2.5 years with no pm. Just wrapped in a rag. It ran well with a little oil. TLE/RL II.

I swapped out bushing and put in a GI plug.
It's a slick gun.

If I get another .45, it will be a Colt 70 with some kind of Bomar sights.

Part of me wants a cheapo RIA GI to "complement" my retro build.

sgtrock82
02-04-18, 23:55
M1917 "Enfield".

It's not really an Enfield, it's just easier for use Americans to call it that.

The M1903 Springfield is a target rifle. The Enfield is one of the most jam-prone manual operation firearms there is (at least in the original 303 British caliber). The Mauser is great, but the sights are horrid.

The M1917 gives you what are probably the best iron sights of any bolt action battle rifle of the 20th Century, the reliability of the Mauser, with the smooth, fast cock-on-close action of the Enfield. And no risk of rimlock. Takes the same stripper clips as the Gew98, M1903, and other Gewehr 98 clones.

Let's be real: If you're not using a quantum entanglement gun to simply unexist your enemies, you're frankly just using a complicated, expensive slingshot.
I do like the M1917 especially the peep rear sight but every one Ive had felt too long for me to shoot comfortably over extended periods. Ive not owned the .303 pattern 14 version but the couple I have shot were exceptionally accurate.

the classic WWI Springfields were sexy but the 547yd battle sight, tinsy mid mounted peep and c**t hair thick front blade are terrible to use and the adjustments very fluid. The 03a3 fixes most of that but also cheapens up the rest of the rifles fittings and finish.

I think the No4 enfield is a fantastic service rifle but more likely to need armorer support over the long haul. Accurizing the military enfield was something of an art form and was practiced in their armed forces.

And the Mauser is just a tough old dog that does what its suppose to do without drama over and over... for apparently decades on end. Not typically a star on paper but I usually seem to hit what Im aiming at. Thick butt stock makes for a good club which is fortunate, because the Bayonet mount sucks.

Diamondback
02-05-18, 00:00

Given that the garage-build Essex that kept my ex safe is now of more sentimental than useful value despite still being up to the job, I'm starting to consider retiring it from Daily Duty and putting a brace of Rocks in a double Nelson 58H or a Blocker Dillinger Rig in the game to replace it.

MountainRaven
02-05-18, 00:02
I do like the M1917 especially the peep rear sight but every one Ive had felt too long for me to shoot comfortably over extended periods. Ive not owned the .303 pattern 14 version but the couple I have shot were exceptionally accurate.

the classic WWI Springfields were sexy but the 547yd battle sight, tinsy mid mounted peep and c**t hair thick front blade are terrible to use and the adjustments very fluid. The 03a3 fixes most of that but also cheapens up the rest of the rifles fittings and finish.

I think the No4 enfield is a fantastic service rifle but more likely to need armorer support over the long haul. Accurizing the military enfield was something of an art form and was practiced in their armed forces.

And the Mauser is just a tough old dog that does what its suppose to do without drama over and over... for apparently decades on end. Not typically a star on paper but I usually seem to hit what Im aiming at. Thick butt stock makes for a good club which is fortunate, because the Bayonet mount sucks.

The only downside to the M1917 is the weight. I wouldn't buy a P14, because you'll probably have the same issues with rimlock as the SMLEs and Nº4s.

The 03A3 is notorious for wandering zeroes, too. I can live with the rest, but I can't suffer a rifle that won't maintain zero.

I think I would personally choose a Tikka T3x Arctic.

glocktogo
02-05-18, 11:16
The only downside to the M1917 is the weight. I wouldn't buy a P14, because you'll probably have the same issues with rimlock as the SMLEs and Nº4s.

The 03A3 is notorious for wandering zeroes, too. I can live with the rest, but I can't suffer a rifle that won't maintain zero.

I think I would personally choose a Tikka T3x Arctic.

Why not a K31?

ramairthree
02-05-18, 11:25
I dunno about stuff like SVIs/STI 2011s but I no joke had my Kimber put up for 2.5 years with no pm. Just wrapped in a rag. It ran well with a little oil. TLE/RL II.

I swapped out bushing and put in a GI plug.
It's a slick gun.

If I get another .45, it will be a Colt 70 with some kind of Bomar sights.

Yes. It should have been totally fine sitting on a shelf 2 1/2 years.
Now,
Take your SS 1911 or Open 2011 or Operator .45,
And put 1,000 rounds through it a month for 2 1/2 years.
Do the same side by side with your Glock 21.

The total maintenance, magazines, parts, replacements, etc. on the 1911/2011 will make that spent on the Glock look like rookie numbers.

An individual, team, or a unit, etc. has to decide if the increase in trigger fineness, accuracy, etc. makes enough of a difference to be worth it.

Firefly
02-05-18, 12:11
Yes. It should have been totally fine sitting on a shelf 2 1/2 years.
Now,
Take your SS 1911 or Open 2011 or Operator .45,
And put 1,000 rounds through it a month for 2 1/2 years.
Do the same side by side with your Glock 21.

The total maintenance, magazines, parts, replacements, etc. on the 1911/2011 will make that spent on the Glock look like rookie numbers.

An individual, team, or a unit, etc. has to decide if the increase in trigger fineness, accuracy, etc. makes enough of a difference to be worth it.

I'm tracking. Some people think a 1911 has to be sopping wet 24/7 is what I was getting to on that one.

Per IPSC, I am lazy and only shot production. However I knew dudes with .38 Super 2011s and the struggle was quite real. I think the mags alone on 2011s were/are like $100 each. It could get spendy. That said if one is going for speed and glory it is worth it.

But again, lazy so I stuck with G17/G34

MountainRaven
02-05-18, 12:11
Why not a K31?

I love the K31. The sights aren't ideal, but they're better than most bolt action battle rifles have. My biggest deals with the K31 are:

-Short LOP. Which is fine for some, but I get a cocking piece in my cheek when charging the rifle with it mounted to the shoulder.
-7.5x55mm is great, but availability is not (IME) good in the US (as compared to 7.62x54R, 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, 303 Brit, and even 6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Arisaka, and 7.7 Arisaka, to say nothing of 30-06 and 308).
-The safety is slightly better than a Mosin-Nagant's. And significantly worse than those used for Mausers, Nº4s, P14/M1917s, 03 Springfields, &c.
-K31 chargers seem hard to find and seem more fragile/less reusable than Mauser-style stripper clips (such as those used by the SMLE, Nº4, P14, M1903, M1917, plus all the Mauser 98s and clones).

sgtrock82
02-05-18, 16:43
I also really like the K31 (and all the other swiss rifles going back to the Vetterli) but ammo can definitely a hold up.

The swiss surplus is awesome, everything else is meh. They have quite a following though. Everytime a batch of the surplus ammo runs out the commercial stuff vanishes from the shelves shortly thereafter... then everyone holds their breath.

It can be loaded for but Its tough to beat the surplus GP11. Load data is scattered with little consensus that Ive seen. Watch OAL, definitely use a comparator

Chargers are fragile being made of waxed cardboard and tin and have become quite expensive. I think around $10 a pop but I havent seen any in a while. They work waaay better than any other clip/charger and should last a while if taken care of(easily crushed) but im sure the little metal foldy tabs will eventually break off. I seldom use them anymore.

CPM
02-05-18, 20:33
If I was carrying a gun for a living again I’d ask for a Glock 41.

Kain
02-05-18, 20:55
I'm tracking. Some people think a 1911 has to be sopping wet 24/7 is what I was getting to on that one.

Per IPSC, I am lazy and only shot production. However I knew dudes with .38 Super 2011s and the struggle was quite real. I think the mags alone on 2011s were/are like $100 each. It could get spendy. That said if one is going for speed and glory it is worth it.

But again, lazy so I stuck with G17/G34

Kind of off topic, but, when it comes to competition, any competition, that is a real thing. Guys chasing that bleeding edge, or just that extra fraction of a second or one more target or point. And when it gets to that point costs go up exponentially for small performance, or perceived performance gains. It is also worth noting that sometimes the cost of the gun is nothing when you are burning a thousand rounds a week. a grand in ammo a month, and suddenly that $4k pistol ain't that far out of the realm of possibility. I mean, I shoot trap competitively and the gun I used to shoot was what a KAC SR25 costs. The one I shoot now, cost more than my first car's sticker price was NEW! Not, that I exactly paid full tilt for the car, or fun for that matter. Now, did I get a performance gain out of that new gun? Yes. something like 2.3% total average increase over a year. I will say that I am more consistent with it though.

soulezoo
02-05-18, 21:39
Kind of off topic, but, when it comes to competition, any competition, that is a real thing. Guys chasing that bleeding edge, or just that extra fraction of a second or one more target or point. And when it gets to that point costs go up exponentially for small performance, or perceived performance gains. It is also worth noting that sometimes the cost of the gun is nothing when you are burning a thousand rounds a week. a grand in ammo a month, and suddenly that $4k pistol ain't that far out of the realm of possibility. I mean, I shoot trap competitively and the gun I used to shoot was what a KAC SR25 costs. The one I shoot now, cost more than my first car's sticker price was NEW! Not, that I exactly paid full tilt for the car, or fun for that matter. Now, did I get a performance gain out of that new gun? Yes. something like 2.3% total average increase over a year. I will say that I am more consistent with it though.

A Perazzi?

Kain
02-05-18, 21:45
A Perazzi?

Krieghoff. K80 to be precise.
Though, I have seen the match set of Perazzi's, 4 guns, nothing that special about them, 12, 20 28, and .410. Last time I saw them the price tag for the four together was something like $413,987.13. I don't joke, because it was done to the cents there. Might have pictures somewhere, not sure anymore.

Firefly
02-05-18, 22:07
Kain

FWIW a former fiancè of mine did trap and had a no joke Perazzi. It was her only gun and her dad was loaded and got it for her at 15. She did well. I won't say how well but it was well. She'd toss that vest over her peacoat and go to town. I suck at trap. I tried it like once but she could go.

To my knowledge she likely still has it. People who take trap seriously, take it very seriously indeed.

It's like Golf but for rich people.

Diamondback
02-05-18, 23:27
Kain

FWIW a former fiancè of mine did trap and had a no joke Perazzi. It was her only gun and her dad was loaded and got it for her at 15. She did well. I won't say how well but it was well. She'd toss that vest over her peacoat and go to town. I suck at trap. I tried it like once but she could go.

To my knowledge she likely still has it. People who take trap seriously, take it very seriously indeed.

Just to piss those more-dollars-than-sense Fudds off, I wanna build skill to the point where I can do trap with an AR pistol. :)

glocktogo
02-05-18, 23:39
Just to piss those more-dollars-than-sense Fudds off, I wanna build skill to the point where I can do trap with an AR pistol. :)

I shot a 23/25 round of skeet at my club one time with my ghost ring sighted 18" 590A1. Some of those purists looked like Nancy Pelosi at Trump's SOTU address! LOL

SteyrAUG
02-06-18, 02:22
The Heckler & Koch G11, don't tell me that design is based of something from the 1930's. Revolutionary, robust, dependable, ergonomic and breathtakingly brilliant!

And a freaking oven with major cookoff issues.

Kain
02-06-18, 06:16
I shot a 23/25 round of skeet at my club one time with my ghost ring sighted 18" 590A1. Some of those purists looked like Nancy Pelosi at Trump's SOTU address! LOL

Meh, I've done it with a Benelli M4, ghost rings actually work surprisingly well. We've also had a tricked out Saiga 12 on there. That was fun.
We've also had a couple guys down at the skeet range try it with a taurus Judge.

pinzgauer
02-06-18, 09:10

So that's what it is... I swear, my vintage LW commander carries better than my plastic wonderpistols

pinzgauer
02-06-18, 09:16
The Automag is no longer out of production. The ultimate "Man's Gun", Big Thunder is back and better than ever. With an MSRP of $3200, you don't have to pay over $4000 to a collector for the percentage of sliding one into your shoulder holster.

Mack Bolan approves of this message.I don't think there is any question... Automag Trump's all other mangun wannabees.

Ammo starts with cut down 308 cases...

pinzgauer
02-06-18, 09:42
Discount 1911s at your own risk.

Snip.

I bought my first 1911 in the mid-70s. I've pretty much had at least one ever since.

Despite trying all the new Wonder pistols of every decade since (sig'ish DA doublestacks, 3" micro1911s, super slim da only 40s, Walther p99/ppq), I always tend to drift back to wanting to shoot my 1911s. Usually a commander, and usually lightweight.

At this point I'll pretty much always keep a full size in 10 mm and a lightweight commander in 45.

Yep if I had to go to battle I'd probably rather have my Walthers or even a glock 19. And the proverbial basic 6920.

But that's pretty unlikely for most of us, and I'm old enough that I'm going to enjoy shooting what I like to shoot. And that includes vintage guns like the 1911 and BlackHawks in addition to more combat related stuff. And some mannlicher stock carbines, mostly old Mausers for the same reason.

BTW, I never appreciated the Blackhawk love until I got my son a beater in 41 mag to hunt with. It's a blast to shoot, is incredibly accurate, and it's just fun to make big holes at longer ranges without having to work too hard. And tis a DRT proven hunting pistol.

I do believe the "beware the man who has only one gun" trope, and see value in having a primary to train with. But I'd hate to limit myself to one flavor for fun.

pinzgauer
02-06-18, 09:55

Though I came late to it, I've got to go Mauser. Just due to the historical impact. It was really the AK-47 of its era.

I've got a short mildly sporterized Cavalry carbine mannlicher stock in 7x57 that is just magic. Just about everyone can shoot well with it, and we shoot it with reduced loads (16g 2400 universal load) like you would a 22. It's easy to hit golf balls with it offhand. I use it with new Shooters and fine they get more immediate success with that then even 22s.

I've done 25m carbine drills with it and other than the capacity / reload aspect, did not feel near as disadvantaged against than the AR as you might would think. Yeah that was reduced loads, full power 7x57 would have been a different story. But the point I made to myself was that in realistic scenarios, the bolt-action was not slowing me down near as much as I would have thought. Which was largely Coopers point with the original Scout rifle.

Yeah, I know some of the u.s. copies had some advantages. But I love short mannlicher stock European Mausers for there their quick pointing handling. To me they were the car-15 / M4s of their era

CPM
02-06-18, 13:31
Kain

I can see why she was a former, that’s just retarded.

Firefly
02-06-18, 14:06

Not really. She was good at it. She enjoyed it. She was into trap and skeet when other girls her age and status were into horses or cars. It's complicated. It wasn't, as I recall, like the quarter million dollar model but a few grand in 1990s money.

I cannot speak ill of her at all.

soulezoo
02-06-18, 18:56

No idea why you’d say that...

soulezoo
02-06-18, 19:00
I shot a lot of trap in the 80’s. Had a Perazzi for a while, which is why I asked. I bought it used for $8k. Sold it for $10k when I got a family. Replaced with a Beretta S78. Not as nice, but I had the same scores. Turned out to be a better gun for Custers though.

Should have shot with my Bren I guess...

Kain
02-06-18, 19:11
I shot a lot of trap in the 80’s. Had a Perazzi for a while, which is why I asked. I bought it used for $8k. Sold it for $10k when I got a family. Replaced with a Beretta S78. Not as nice, but I had the same scores. Turned out to be a better gun for Custers though.

Should have shot with my Bren I guess...

Nice.
I've played with a few Perazzi's but I am not a huge fan. Seen too many hammer springs break. Like it happens enough for some that they carry spares and can have it break on one shot, pull the trigger out of the gun and have a new one in before it is their turn to shoot again. That said, there also people who like to claim Kreighoffs explode, so there is that.

Personally, for the money, I always have said Beretta and Browning are probably the best there is. I am partial to Browning, because well I won a shit load with one, I mean, how many can honestly say that a $3500 actually one more in one sitting than it's own cost, four times over. So I biased there. But Beretta makes a good gun too. Really can't go wrong with them. Though when I think Beretta, I honestly always come back to wanting their damn pistols. Lol.

Firefly
02-06-18, 19:20
I have toyed with getting a Stoeger O/U just because they look classy. Now if it is Duck Hunt on NES I can take you to school but like real skeet/trap; I can just give moral support. I seriously am just no good. I tried.

MistWolf
02-10-18, 17:55
probably not, but people need to quit arguing that its the best pistol and comparing it to Glocks.

No one compares a 1911 to a Glock. They compare the Glock to the 1911. It doesn't matter when the 1911 was designed or what technology birthed it. Love it or hate it, the 1911 is the standard. While many modern self loading handguns are compared to the Glock, the Glock itself is compared to the 1911 and thus ultimately, all self loading handguns are.

Firefly
02-10-18, 18:13
No one compares a 1911 to a Glock. They compare the Glock to the 1911. It doesn't matter when the 1911 was designed or what technology birthed it. Love it or hate it, the 1911 is the standard. While many modern self loading handguns are compared to the Glock, the Glock itself is compared to the 1911 and thus ultimately, all self loading handguns are.

Interestingly enough, when I got to take a tour of Mr. Glock's personal office in Smyrna; He had a neat poster on his wall of the 1911 with JMBs portrait on the left and Mr. Glock's portrait and the G17 on the right.

So even Mr. Glock compares his own gun to the 1911 and Mr. Glock isn't exactly known for his humility......

1911 is to the 20th Century as the Single Action Army was to the 19th.

To deny this is to deny history.

elephant
02-10-18, 18:44
1911 is to the 20th Century as the Single Action Army was to the 19th.

To deny this is to deny history.

Not to deny history, but I think the Glock is today, the 21st century, what the C93 Borchardt was in the in the 19th century. Trust me, I use that pistol exclusively in Battlefield 1 so I have plenty of combat experience with it. I killed 4 guys in a Mark V Landship and shot down a Hansa-Brandenburg G.I and a Bristol F2.B while capturing a flag using nothing but my faithful C93. That's why I carry today and forever a Zev Glock 19.

I will never compare a Glock in all of its glory to a single action revolver from the 1800's. Never!

Firefly
02-10-18, 19:00
I never played Battlefield 1....

elephant
02-10-18, 19:11
dude. you need to, it slower game than COD, a typical game can last 30-45 minutes. Maps are huge and realistic weather like dust storms make it more challenging.

Firefly
02-10-18, 19:22
No gaming pc. And just not what I'm into.

The only vidya I'm playing here lately when I have time is that cheap PS4 game with the Anime girls fighting zombies with M4s. It's just oddly addictive.

Wildlands still left me a bit sour.

ETA School Girl Zombie Hunter for the curious.

Anyways I live in America where I can have a 1911, a Glock, and a Smiff 9mm 639

Wake27
02-10-18, 21:45
No gaming pc. And just not what I'm into.

The only vidya I'm playing here lately when I have time is that cheap PS4 game with the Anime girls fighting zombies with M4s. It's just oddly addictive.

Wildlands still left me a bit sour.

ETA School Girl Zombie Hunter for the curious.

Anyways I live in America where I can have a 1911, a Glock, and a Smiff 9mm 639

BF1 is on PS4. I don't really care for it even though I typically love the BF genre. I'm really hoping that they release a new WW2 version soon.