PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Machine and Tool MRP ejection port cover removal?

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 11:26
Does anyone know how to remove the ejection port cover on an MRP upper? I'm going to send mine off for Cerakote and it has to be stripped and the ejection port cover mechanism is different than a standard AR. I didn't know if you just removed the front roll pin and the cover came off or what? Any help would be appreciated, I came up with nothing on an internet search.

JulyAZ
02-03-18, 12:40
Do you have pics? I haven’t messed with an MRP, but I’d be interested in seeing what it is around the port cover

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 12:49
Do you have pics? I haven’t messed with an MRP, but I’d be interested in seeing what it is around the port cover

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 12:50

MA2_Navy_Veteran
02-03-18, 13:01
I believe you must first drive out the forward roll pin from the top with a long roll pin punch & then the port door assembly can swing out slightly & be removed.

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 13:04
That's what I was thinking, the rear pin is only exposed at the bottom and can't be driven out. Thanks

tb-av
02-03-18, 13:17
Scroll down to page 43... there is a tiny clip (4) on the forward end of the pin ( 5 ). Not sure if removing that will set it free or not. The roll pin ( 3 ) is named BOLT CATCH pin... not port cover retainer, soo....

http://www.lewismachine.net/media/LMTMRP-Operation%20and%20Safety%20Owners%20Manual-F.pdf

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 13:32
Scroll down to page 43... there is a tiny clip (4) on the forward end of the pin ( 5 ). Not sure if removing that will set it free or not. The roll pin ( 3 ) is named BOLT CATCH pin... not port cover retainer, soo....

http://www.lewismachine.net/media/LMTMRP-Operation%20and%20Safety%20Owners%20Manual-F.pdf

Mine doesn't have a C clip like that.

bamashooter
02-03-18, 13:56
Pretty slick. Does the dust cover pin have recesses / notches for the roll pins or do they only act as retainers against the curved surface of the pin / shaft?

LMT Shooter
02-03-18, 13:59
That's what I was thinking, the rear pin is only exposed at the bottom and can't be driven out. Thanks

I've never disassembled my uppers, but mine have holes at the top of the brass deflector that look like you could drive the pin out from them. Does yours have a blind hole drilled from the bottom? And I don't understand what anything in the upper has to do with the bolt catch.

I need to take the LMT armorers class, bad.

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 14:00
Pretty slick. Does the dust cover pin have recesses / notches for the roll pins or do they only act as retainers against the curved surface of the pin / shaft?

They act only as retainers

LMT Shooter
02-03-18, 14:00
Mine doesn't have a C clip like that.

Nor do mine, as far as i can see, on either my MRP's or MWS's, so I'm at a loss with that, too.

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 14:05
I've never disassembled my uppers, but mine have holes at the top of the brass deflector that look like you could drive the pin out from them. Does yours have a blind hole drilled from the bottom? And I don't understand what anything in the upper has to do with the bolt catch.

I need to take the LMT armored class, bad.

The rear roll pin is blind from the top and can only be seen from the bottom. I have no idea how you'd remove it, but the front roll pin can be driven down from the top.

LMT Shooter
02-03-18, 14:09
The rear roll pin is blind from the top and can only be seen from the bottom. I have no idea how you'd remove it, but the front roll pin can be driven down from the top.

I just shined a light into the bottom of the pin, and it comes through the hole at the top, so you must have a different generation upper than I do.

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 14:14
I just shined a light into the bottom of the pin, and it comes through the hole at the top, so you must have a different generation upper than I do.

Interesting, both of my MRP's have the blind rear pin by the case deflector.

LMT Shooter
02-03-18, 14:21
Interesting, both of my MRP's have the blind rear pin by the case deflector.

The one I shined I bought about 12yrs ago, the other, 10yrs ago, so they ain't new at all.

joeg26er
02-03-18, 15:29
Could they be screws?

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 15:38
Could they be screws?

I thought of that too. I need to get my nylon brush and brush away some funk to be 100% positive

INTrooper4255
02-03-18, 16:22
I thought of that too. I need to get my nylon brush and brush away some funk to be 100% positive

Yes, they are roll pins

Iraqgunz
02-04-18, 01:51
I am pretty sure that you tap the forward roll pin up and that will allow the ejection port cover rod to come forward and then swing out from the receiver. You should then be able to tap it back into place without issues.

INTrooper4255
02-04-18, 06:19
I am pretty sure that you tap the forward roll pin up and that will allow the ejection port cover rod to come forward and then swing out from the receiver. You should then be able to tap it back into place without issues.

Ok, that's what it looked like, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks

Jwknutson17
02-04-18, 07:20

This is correct. You only drive out the forward pin and it that's all you need for removal. Did one a few months ago. No issues.

INTrooper4255
02-04-18, 07:37
This is correct. You only drive out the forward pin and it that's all you need for removal. Did one a few months ago. No issues.

Perfect, thanks all!

INTrooper4255
02-04-18, 10:18
I tapped the front roll pin out and the dust cover fell right out. Thanks guys