PDA

View Full Version : Advice on BUIS with Improved Battlesight Zero

zippygaloo
10-16-08, 15:40
I'm in the market for a BUIS. I have a 14.5" carbine. I plan on sighting in using the Improved Battlesight Zero (http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw) at 50 yards. These are the sights I am considering. Any input on these sights and/or my their use with my intended Battlesight Zero would be greatly apprectiated.

1. Matech 600 Meter BUIS
(It's lowest setting is 200M and from my understanding this would work good with the Improved Battelsight Zero? Yes? No?)
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/botach_2023_41917729

2. LaRue Tactical BUIS QD LT-103 (Not sure whether standard or same plane is better option for my intended Battlesight Zero?)
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1291845.JPG

3. GG&G MAD
http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/e6f211ba344072819bcce9a0dee28b76.jpg

4. YHM Solid A2 Rear Sight
http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/YHM-643K.jpg

Tungsten
10-16-08, 16:12
I don't mean to be a dick, but have you actually read the IBZ document? If you have, and if you noted what Mark LaRue wrote on the description of his BUIS...

Designed to be simple, but rugged.
We designed this popular BUIS (back-up iron sight) for AR- type flattops after several operator comments at the Small Arms Symposium...we decided to do exactly as they said:
1. put lever on right side so your knuckles don't get "racked" while doing speed-clears.
2. flush-out the windage knob 'cause "it is a set-it-and-forget-it type of deal".
3. and delete the elevation stuff 'cause "it's a BUIS...not a Palma match".

...then you'd know that with this particular sight you aren't even going to be able to do half of the adjustments that they recommend in the IBZ document.

And why in the world would you want the Matech 600 yd sight when you're wanting to zero for 50 and 200 using the IBZ method?

Of the ones you listed, the YHM comes the closest but I'd go with the LaRue for the sake of simplicity. Or look at the LMT BUIS as another option if you really want/need elevation adjustment.

LMT556
10-16-08, 16:19
I believe all would work with a 200 meter battlesight zero, but in most situations the elevation knob on the rear sight is used so infrequently to make it unneccesary so I would eliminate the YHM from consideration. I have also seen the elevation knobs on non-flattop uppers moved by accident from contact with equipment, the ground, etc. The Matech is a great sight and I used it extensively on my issue M4 when I was still in the AF and was very happy with it. I have never used the Larue or GG@G but would trust anything from either company. I like the simplicity of the Larue and the GG@G MAD is an interesting concept, although one similar to the Matech. My choices would be either the Larue, if you want simplicity, or the Matech, if you want one that can fold down to a very small size to accomodate an optic and has a ranging capability.

However my favorite is the Troy folding BUIS. IMHO

zippygaloo
10-16-08, 16:43
And why in the world would you want the Matech 600 yd sight when you're wanting to zero for 50 and 200 using the IBZ method?

Please educate me. My assumption (maybe it was wrong to assume) was that if I put the Mactech on 200M and zeroed at 50 yards that the flat trajectory would keep the bullet within 2" of the point of aim from 8M to 220M. Then if I wanted to got to 300, 400, 450, 500, 550 or 600 meters, I could just click to the respective distance on the sight.

Would the Mactech not work like this?

spamsammich
10-16-08, 16:51
Note To Users of Carbines with the A1 style rear sight or users of Flip-Up Sights: This 50 yard zero works really well. If you have the original sight aperture use the unmarked (short range) hole to zero the rifle. If you have upgraded, and use the A2 style aperture (or the A.O. Same Plane sight), then use the small (long range) hole for zeroing.

Taken from the IBZ page. Judging by this, any of those BUIS you listed will work fine with this method. I've used this with acceptable results with LMT, Troy, and PRI BUIS. Just use the small aperture to zero.

I'm not sure that the long distance gradations on the Matech sight are calibrated to work with IBZ, I'm pretty sure they are based off a 300m zero. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

zippygaloo
10-16-08, 16:56
Taken from the IBZ page. Judging by this, any of those BUIS you listed will work fine with this method. I've used this with acceptable results with LMT, Troy, and PRI BUIS. Just use the small aperture to zero.

I'm not sure that the long distance gradations on the Matech sight are calibrated to work with IBZ, I'm pretty sure they are based off a 300m zero. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Two questions.

1. According to the IBZ page comments (at bottom), wouldn't you use the larger aperture for the Larue "standard" (not same plane) version of the sight?

2. Educate me here. Are BUIS designed for specific zero distances? i.e. your comment "based off a 300m zero"?

thorm001
10-16-08, 17:57
Larue or LMT is my vote.

CarlosDJackal
10-16-08, 18:17
I use a Larue BUIS because of its KISS implementation. But any of those sights you listed should work. You have to remember a BUIS is a backup - not a primary sighting system. Which means that all that matter is that it is zeroed and usable when your optic goes down.

theJanitor
10-16-08, 19:07
i use the larue as BUIS for aimpoints, and Troy as BUIS for magnified optics. and they are used as true BUIS's like larue described.

spamsammich
10-16-08, 19:59
Two questions.

1. According to the IBZ page comments (at bottom), wouldn't you use the larger aperture for the Larue "standard" (not same plane) version of the sight?

2. Educate me here. Are BUIS designed for specific zero distances? i.e. your comment "based off a 300m zero"?

according the the IBZ page, no. The standard LaRue is an A2 aperture with all the unnecessary shit removed. It even says so on LaRue's web page.

That web page really is clear about how to perform this battlesight zero if you take the time to pay attention to it.

As for your second question, I was guessing. I don't know what the hell Matech uses to calibrate their flip up sight but if you only leave it in lowest setting, the IBZ should be no problem. If you're going to be doing a lot of your shooting with irons and long distances, you should probably reconsider using IBZ.

Iraqgunz
10-17-08, 03:30
I use a Matech BUIS on my Bushamster in Iraq and just put one on my new PD15 piston upper from Arnold Dew. They work good and will take abuse. I also have Troy sights and YHM. The YHM sights did 7 months in the kitty box with no issues either.

zippygaloo
10-23-08, 22:52
Can anyone verify this...

My assumption (maybe it was wrong to assume) was that if I put the Mactech on 200M and zeroed at 50 yards that the flat trajectory would keep the bullet within 2" of the point of aim from 8M to 220M. Then if I wanted to got to 300, 400, 450, 500, 550 or 600 meters, I could just click to the respective distance on the sight.

Would the Mactech not work like this?

Medicine Calf
10-24-08, 13:40
Perhaps you can finagle what you want from this. My Matech is set for a 50m zero at the 200m setting, but since I don't need them, I can't confirm that the sights' higher elevation adjustments are still in sync. You can probably figure it out by cross referencing the ballistic tables, with the standard settings in the instructions.

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8946/449539bigdw0.jpg