PDA

View Full Version : The Smith & Wesson Shield EZ 380

DirectTo
02-05-18, 20:01
Here’s a new one. Looks like the size of a compact, but single stack, hammer fired, with a grip and optional thumb safety, and chambered in 380 ACP.

Reminds me a lot of the Walther PK380 - really easy to rack and hold for smaller stature or weaker shooters new to it.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-0

rjacobs
02-06-18, 13:06
what in the holy hell

HeruMew
02-06-18, 13:22
Prepare for every Fudd Shop in Murica to start marketing this as the:

"Wunder-gun for all females, step right up to be shown just how emasculated you can make the "girls" feel when getting them into guns."

Kenneth
02-06-18, 13:41
Why...

That make shift grip safety though. Looks like a bad photoshop job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick84
02-06-18, 22:18
For when you're ready to step up from your Bersa Thunder .380.

Oh wait....you're not sure? Step back.

tacticaldesire
02-06-18, 23:20
People with Arthritis like my mother for instance, who wants a gun for protection but can't pull back the slide or load a magazine on most handguns might benefit from this model. I see it getting a lot of crap on the internet but the people who post about guns on the internet are not who this is for.

nimdabew
02-07-18, 00:18
Why the grip safety... It looks like an after thought.

lee1000
02-07-18, 00:20
People with Arthritis like my mother for instance, who wants a gun for protection but can't pull back the slide or load a magazine on most handguns might benefit from this model. I see it getting a lot of crap on the internet but the people who post about guns on the internet are not who this is for.

I think that's a good assessment of it. At first I thought this was a replacement for the Bodyguard but after comparing their specs that doesn't seem to be the case. My Bodyguard is a great little pocket pistol. I'd like to see a striker fired one though.

foxtrotx1
02-07-18, 02:30
I think people on the internet forget that not every gun ever was intended to be purchased, driven over with a tank, and then used to breech and clear an oil rig full of ISIS funded North Korean Whale poachers in the middle of a storm when your 416 magically breaks a bolt lug mid operation.

This looks like a great pistol for people like my mother who is getting eldery and weigh 105lbs on a good day.

grizzlyblake
02-07-18, 05:29
Absolutely perfect for what it is - a stay-loaded nightstand gun for someone who can't care about a kydex holster for their striker-fired gun and doesn't even want/need to worry about a standard safety. "Point and shoot." Easy to operate, low recoil.

It should've been made in 9mm however, but I'm betting S&W is pulling a Glock 42/43 stunt where they'll sell the .380 for a year or two until sales dip and then drop the 9mm version. When the 9 comes out it'll be the absolute perfect Mexican carry gun. :cool:

I have no need for one but I love it.

cutter_spc
02-07-18, 17:59
I think people on the internet forget that not every gun ever was intended to be purchased, driven over with a tank, and then used to breech and clear an oil rig full of ISIS funded North Korean Whale poachers in the middle of a storm when your 416 magically breaks a bolt lug mid operation.

This looks like a great pistol for people like my mother who is getting eldery and weigh 105lbs on a good day.

Best comment of the year! I hate those oil rig clearing days, LOL.

While I have no need or want for this pistol, I can see the value of it for others who are in need of a firearm, but maybe not into firearms.

nimdabew
02-07-18, 20:15

It would be great if it didn't have that grip safety. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I would get one for my wife who has no desire to learn good body mechanics to rack a slide on a full size 9mm. No matter all the encouraging or desire on my part for her to learn, I just know it isn't going to happen except for the once per year range trip.

I am still waiting for a 4" Shield in 9mm though. I would buy that in a heart beat if they had one, and this is coming from a guy that has two shields and would have three if I could smuggle another handgun box into the house.

tacticaldesire
02-07-18, 20:36
It would be great if it didn't have that grip safety. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I would get one for my wife who has no desire to learn good body mechanics to rack a slide on a full size 9mm. No matter all the encouraging or desire on my part for her to learn, I just know it isn't going to happen except for the once per year range trip.

I am still waiting for a 4" Shield in 9mm though. I would buy that in a heart beat if they had one, and this is coming from a guy that has two shields and would have three if I could smuggle another handgun box into the house.

It's hammer fired and doesn't have the trigger safety dingus so the grip safety was necessary to make it drop safe or something to that affect. That's what I've been able to gather.

Drifting Fate
02-07-18, 21:05
I'm interested in buying something like this and socking one away for the years to come. It's this or a tip up Beretta in .32 or .380 (would prefer the Beretta in .380, but used...).

I've already moved away from the .45 to the 9mm for arthritis and God only knows how long I will be able to tolerate the 9's.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-07-18, 21:35
With a name like EZ 380 this should appeal well to the morbidly obese, single wide dwelling, CPAP wearing, nascar watching, diabetes ridden cleti. They’ll eat this up like a sugar laden desert buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirectTo
02-07-18, 22:00
I'm interested in buying something like this and socking one away for the years to come. It's this or a tip up Beretta in .32 or .380 (would prefer the Beretta in .380, but used...).

I've already moved away from the .45 to the 9mm for arthritis and God only knows how long I will be able to tolerate the 9's.
If you have arthritis I would unfortunately steer you away from the 380 Berettas. I loved my 84s and the 85 is a sweet single stack, but being straight blowback they do have some bite on recoil.

Arik
02-07-18, 22:31
If you have arthritis I would unfortunately steer you away from the 380 Berettas. I loved my 84s and the 85 is a sweet single stack, but being straight blowback they do have some bite on recoil.I was about to say the same thing. I've shot a few 84s and then have stout recoil even though they're all steel. Oddly enough I found the Ruger 380 to have less felt recoil. Or at least not as sharp

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ron3
02-08-18, 07:06
I was about to say the same thing. I've shot a few 84s and then have stout recoil even though they're all steel. Oddly enough I found the Ruger 380 to have less felt recoil. Or at least not as sharp

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

With the Beretta Cheetah / 84/85 you can buy a .32 barrel and mags for it. Everything else is the same. Barrels are $185-200. Threaded available, too.

Doesn't have the sting/slap recoil the .380 does.

The frame on the 81-87 Beretta's is alloy fyi.

Warp
02-08-18, 19:43

I think you're right. I've seen others say this, and I think...my mom has an SP101 and a main reason for that is inability to reliably rack the slide on dad's Glocks/M&P's, and loading the mags up probably wouldn't go so well either I guess but isn't that what maglulas are for. Still, the racking the slide part is a pretty big deal.

02-08-18, 21:28
I used to date a lady that couldn’t get the technique down to rack a G17, and certainly couldn’t rack any of the pocket .380’s that were common at the time. She loved shooting the .22lr I gave her, though.

I’ve always wondered why locked breech .380’s are so uncommon.

Bayoublaster
02-09-18, 17:21
I’ve always wondered why locked breech .380’s are so uncommon.

Easier to make a straight blowback. Just balance the slide weight/spring rate and there you go. No need to engineer more moving parts.

Drifting Fate
02-09-18, 20:14
If you have arthritis I would unfortunately steer you away from the 380 Berettas. I loved my 84s and the 85 is a sweet single stack, but being straight blowback they do have some bite on recoil.

I admit it's been a long time since I've fired a Beretta .380, so thank you for the good advice!

Dienekes
02-10-18, 01:29
"I've already moved away from the .45 to the 9mm for arthritis and God only knows how long I will be able to tolerate the 9's."

Time and chance happen to us all...

Not very high speed low drag, but beats the hell out of nothing. Sort of a successor to the old top break lemon squeezer Smith revolvers of yore. Of which they sold tons.