PDA

View Full Version : New World's Record!

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-06-18, 15:06
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/02/06/air-force-sets-another-b-52-smart-bomb-record-afghanistan.html

Air Force Sets Another B-52 Smart Bomb Record in Afghanistan

...the aircraft played a leading role against the Taliban, striking the militant group's training facilities in Badakhshan province with 24 smart bombs, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan said in a release. That's up from a previous record set in November of 19 precision-guided munitions.

My guess is that this one bomber could drop more smart bombs on one mission than all our allies put together.

Firefly
02-06-18, 15:42
Will it be in Guinness?

Is it too late to set a record for most Napalm dropped?

I have no problem with tax money being rerouted from Welfare to attempt to break that record. I also demand the pilots wear Tiger Stripe flight suits

HeruMew
02-06-18, 15:45
Will it be in Guinness?

I have no problem with tax money being rerouted from Welfare to attempt to break that record. I also demand the pilots wear Tiger Stripe flight suits

Some of your posts just make my day. I am sure I have said it before, but damn man. You make some shite so much more entertaining.

Firefly
02-06-18, 16:06
Some of your posts just make my day. I am sure I have said it before, but damn man. You make some shite so much more entertaining.

Thanks. If I can make one person's day just a bit brighter, I am glad.

But seriously, Arc Lights with Snake and Nape. Like all day.

Doc Safari
02-06-18, 16:09
The whole problem with the Mid East is that there isn't enough Uranium 235 in the air.

NWPilgrim
02-06-18, 17:57
The whole problem with the Mid East is that there isn't enough Uranium 235 in the air.

Or too much oil in the ground. When that runs out will be a happy day. Much of the terrorism/radicalism around the world will collapse without their oil funding. In the meantime, keep your U235 powder dry!

The B52 is amazing in its longevity. How many GENERATIONS of pilots have not only flown that platform but the same airframe?

SteyrAUG
02-06-18, 18:56
I hope in my lifetime, I see a new fuel source that renders fossil fuels as obsolete as whale oil and that I live to see the middle east become a backwater, third world shithole full of angry people with no money that turn their attention to their own governments to blame.

Coal Dragger
02-06-18, 19:26
Will it be in Guinness?

One more demand to go with the tiger stripe flight suits: mustaches. Robin Olds style mustaches.

Firefly
02-06-18, 19:38
One more demand to go with the tiger stripe flight suits: mustaches. Robin Olds style mustaches.

Yeah. And hammerless S&Ws with wood stocks!

SeriousStudent
02-06-18, 20:09

Robin Olds was a 100 percent complete stud. If someone has not read his biography called "Fighter Pilot", they need to get a copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Pilot-Memoirs-Legendary-Robin-ebook/dp/B003FQM306/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1517969265&sr=1-1&dpID=51E1p1U9utL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

We lost a hero and thinker when he passed away ten years ago.

soulezoo
02-06-18, 20:37
Robin Olds was a 100 percent complete stud. If someone has not read his biography called "Fighter Pilot", they need to get a copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Pilot-Memoirs-Legendary-Robin-ebook/dp/B003FQM306/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1517969265&sr=1-1&dpID=51E1p1U9utL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Amen.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-06-18, 21:44

Wasn't his wife a movie star, or just looked like one?

Coal Dragger
02-06-18, 21:49

Great book, bought it in hard back then gave it to my father-in-law, who is a big aviation buff.

I’ll get it back someday for my son to read.

Coal Dragger
02-06-18, 21:49
Wasn't his wife a movie star, or just looked like one?

Yep she was a movie star.

Big A
02-06-18, 22:11
One more demand to go with the tiger stripe flight suits: mustaches. Robin Olds style mustaches.Did someone say Mustache?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180207/2e57ad0c3754b8d345000c3cde64eed8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
02-06-18, 22:36
Yeah. And hammerless S&Ws with wood stocks!

They were hammerless? I always thought they were basic J frame smiths.

Diamondback
02-06-18, 22:55
Funny... not Olds, but I just started reading General Charlie Bond's "A Flying Tiger's Diary."

You would shit yourselves if you knew what the BUFF can really do when properly outfitted... the biggest thing holding it back is the limited number of points to hang stuff off of in the bay since they scrapped the old Nam "Big Belly" clips that packed Mk 82's into every cubic inch possible. (14 per rack, six racks = 84 internal.) Now imagine if we could pack that bay full of similarly-dense racks for the new 250# precision-guided Small Diameter Bombs, which also have a 40-mile glide range...

I tell y'all, you get President Trump to give me the keys to one of those old birds and some budget to work with, and I will show the world some Next Level Shit, man... :D

Firefly
02-06-18, 22:58
They were hammerless? I always thought they were basic J frame smiths.

They were. I just like hammerless Smiths is all

Coal Dragger
02-06-18, 23:01
Robin Olds had a hammer on his. Check the photos.

Firefly
02-06-18, 23:15
Robin Olds had a hammer on his. Check the photos.

I know what was issued. But it is [THE CURRENT YEAR], we can have hammerless snubbies.

usmcvet
02-06-18, 23:25

I listened to this book last year. It was outstanding. I think it was free on Audible with Prime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
02-06-18, 23:30
I know what was issued. But it is [THE CURRENT YEAR], we can have hammerless snubbies.

Looks like he was also rocking a 4” Smith, maybe a Model 10?

Probably had it since his WWII days. Cause he was old school.

Firefly
02-06-18, 23:45
Looks like he was also rocking a 4” Smith, maybe a Model 10?

Probably had it since his WWII days. Cause he was old school.

https://jetpilotoverseas.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/050811-f-1234p-035.jpg

I believe you are correct, sir. Looks like a Victory model.

rero360
02-07-18, 00:10
Funny... not Olds, but I just started reading General Charlie Bond's "A Flying Tiger's Diary."

You would shit yourselves if you knew what the BUFF can really do when properly outfitted... the biggest thing holding it back is the limited number of points to hang stuff off of in the bay since they scrapped the old Nam "Big Belly" clips that packed Mk 82's into every cubic inch possible. (14 per rack, six racks = 84 internal.) Now imagine if we could pack that bay full of similarly-dense racks for the new 250# precision-guided Small Diameter Bombs, which also have a 40-mile glide range...

I tell y'all, you get President Trump to give me the keys to one of those old birds and some budget to work with, and I will show the world some Next Level Shit, man... :D

You read my mind. That is a 13Z weaponeering/targeting NCO’s wet dream right there. That would be what, 336 SDBs? Not even taking into account wing mounting points.

Diamondback
02-07-18, 00:21
You read my mind. That is a 13Z weaponeering/targeting NCO’s wet dream right there. That would be what, 336 SDBs? Not even taking into account wing mounting points.

A college prof who used to command an F-106 squadron and I once put together a truly hardcore proposal that would make even Dale Brown brownload his skivvies... bomb bay stretched by two more clips, new "cranked" wing more like a Handley Page Victor with additional pylons for droptanks or stores, total rebuild with modern materials, reverting to the old huge 3000-gallon size tiptanks but converting them to combined weps/ECM pods, multiple laser-countermeasure systems, "parasite" drones launched and recovered in midair for extended-range target location and designation, new GE90 engines uprates to 125K# thrust each... bigger, lighter empty weight, heavier gross weight AND able to accelerate straight up just like an F-15. And oh BTW, armed to whack fighters by the squadron-lot... the idea was to create a small force of "Hunter-Killers" to tear gaping holes in Integrated Air Defense Systems that strike packages of conventional BUFFs or fighter-bombers could exploit, you could say the "Wild Weasel" taken to its ultimate logical extension.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-07-18, 08:56
A college prof who used to command an F-106 squadron and I once put together a truly hardcore proposal that would make even Dale Brown brownload his skivvies... bomb bay stretched by two more clips, new "cranked" wing more like a Handley Page Victor with additional pylons for droptanks or stores, total rebuild with modern materials, reverting to the old huge 3000-gallon size tiptanks but converting them to combined weps/ECM pods, multiple laser-countermeasure systems, "parasite" drones launched and recovered in midair for extended-range target location and designation, new GE90 engines uprates to 125K# thrust each... bigger, lighter empty weight, heavier gross weight AND able to accelerate straight up just like an F-15. And oh BTW, armed to whack fighters by the squadron-lot... the idea was to create a small force of "Hunter-Killers" to tear gaping holes in Integrated Air Defense Systems that strike packages of conventional BUFFs or fighter-bombers could exploit, you could say the "Wild Weasel" taken to its ultimate logical extension.

You forgot about the tail gunner, gotta have a tail gunner

Forgot about all the Dale Brown books. Ran through those in HS when I got thru all the Tom Clancy before he went full retard.

Diamondback
02-07-18, 09:10
You forgot about the tail gunner, gotta have a tail gunner

Forgot about all the Dale Brown books. Ran through those in HS when I got thru all the Tom Clancy before he went full retard.

Tail gunner implies expecting attack from behind... the H-K concept was meant to turn the B-52 into predator rather than prey, confronting threats head-on. (LTC N. once called "Foul" because in the sim, I smoked his entire four-ship of F-22s before they could get into their own missile range... granted, I put up a Wall o' Missiles to do it, something like two million-dollar-a-shot Phoenixes per. "Ammo is cheap, aircrew lives are expensive!") Also, who needs guns if you're packing a rear magazine full of Stinger missiles?

I had to quit reading Brown when he started really cranking up the Main Character Homicidal Binges... still disappointed that while he collaborated on the Act of War computer game, the crossover was one-way with game units being imported into his novels but not the RTS getting his advanced airpower--the most advanced stuff there was F-35s and somehow the bad guys getting F-23s.

chuckman
02-07-18, 10:01
With most CAS you see the AC...they are not that high. With B-52s, they are so high, unless you are close to the JTAC or CTT, you are just fat, dumb, and happy...unless the explosions happen.

The B-52 is an awesome AC. My high school assist principal flew one in VN; his son, a few years ahead of me in school, flew one after college. Two generations of pilots.