PDA

View Full Version : Which is best for an Aimpoint First Timer?

No Bananas
10-16-08, 18:00
I'll be getting my LMT 10.5" SBR soon and I wanted to know what might be the best Aimpoint to put on there for a person with very limited Aimpoint Experience. Yes, I considered and tried the EOtech and it wasn't for me.

Aimpoint ML3, 2 MOA or the Aimpoint T-1 Micro 4 MOA (more like 3 MOA in the Micro)

I chose these because of how robust they are. I very very likely will never need NVD capability. I've shot both but only brieflly and from the bench. From my very very limited experience I'd go with the Micro T-1.

Some say that the micro is more finicky about cheek weld, and if you move around too much you'll lose your dot. Some say the Micros can't be beat. What would you recommend for a first time SBR'er and first time Aimpoint'er to go with?

tiger seven
10-16-08, 18:27
My first Aimpoint was a T-1, on a 10.5" LMT, and I have absolutely no complaints. It was a lot of money (for me at least) but I have no regrets either. Since then, I've tried out some other, albeit older, models (borrowed) on my SBR and I'm even happier I chose the T-1. It does so much in such a small package that it's just about too good to be true. I just got a smokin' deal on an M4S (should be here tomorrow) that I will try out on my 16" Noveske middy. I figure if I don't really like it, I can sell it and use the funds to get another T-1. :cool:

In short, I would say that if you can afford it, get the T-1. I don't think you'll regret the choice.

Derek

IrishDevil
10-16-08, 20:19
I think you'll be happy either way. I have an ML3 on one of my guns, excellent optic. The T1/H1 is the top choice for AK's and lightweight rigs. I personally prefer the larger ML3/C3/M4S for most use. While it's completely a personal/training issue, I sometimes lose the dot with the T1/H1 if I don't get a good cheekweld.

Robb Jensen
10-16-08, 20:23
They don't make beginner Aimpoints...;)
As an Aimpoint junkie (I own 6 Aimpoints... a C3, M4, M4S, T1, H1 and a R1) For your SBR I'd highly recommend the T1/H1 to be used in either an ADM or LaRue mount.

SMGLee
10-16-08, 20:26
Absolutely agree with gotM4 on the T1/H1 with a good mount.

C4IGrant
10-16-08, 20:31
If you are not using NV, then go with the H-1 or C3.

C4

Stainless
10-16-08, 21:51
I really, really like the H1

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/Rifle/Ruger8.jpg

VooDoo6Actual
10-16-08, 21:58
+1 gotm4's reco...

MisterWilson
10-16-08, 22:07
First Aimpoints aren't really a matter of experience but finances.

How much are you willing to spend?

If I was trying to be relatively economic I'd probably pick up a used M2 or C3. If I wanted to buy once & make it the best I'd get a T/H-1. Either one will be kickass, one just might make for a better package on your rifle.

The only absolute is that the T-1 is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Ever seen any used T-1's anywhere? Exactly.

No Bananas
10-16-08, 22:46

C4

Yeah, I won't need NV. Although, I don't plan on completely beating the tar out of it, but I want to be confident that it can take rain, puddles, can take some kits into walls, hitting the ground, etc., cold and hot weather (especially hot, I'm in AZ). The T-1 can take more temp extremes and I figured it would be stronger.

Will the H-1 get the job done just fine?

spamsammich
10-16-08, 23:02
No complaints with my H-1 and an ADM mount. I accidentally dropped it on gravel trying to take it off the rifle in the rain and nothing happened to it. Time will tell. I went with the H-1 because I don't plan on ever getting NV. I have an ML3 and ML2 also. There isn't one in my collection that I hate or want to part with. The H-1 is my favorite, but I haven't put any of them through a true hard use scenario.

One thing to consider about aimpoints is whether you have astigmatism. Uncorrected astigmatism makes the dot look more like a smear or flower, which can mess with your accuracy if you are trying for precision shooting. I chose to stick with mine despite my astigmatism and I'm still minute of pop can with them. I just use my BUIS on the small aperture to tighten up the dot. YMMV

FJB
10-17-08, 01:40
Either the H-1 or T-1 w/LT mount will be what you want. The following is from a soldier preparing for future deployment. He is a combat wounded veteran and well trained carbine operator. His comments are a sample of one so take that into consideration when reading and drawing any conclusions.

-------------------
"I just wanted to thank you again for the T1 & ADM mount. I was running it as you had requested of me until tonight (10/15/08).

It broke on me when I was getting some reps in before heading to Columbia MO to hit one of Pat's classes. The female portion of the nut broke off during a string of fire. There are also signs of damage (chips missing) out of the threaded male portion. When it hit the ground it popped apart like a frag. The spacer & mounting unit kept it's integrity but all the other little pieces went flying. I believe I found everything but one spring.

A quick run down: I saw the dot jump on me what seemed like a long time after the actual recoil impulse had finished midway through a failure drill. I remember taking a micro second to let the dot settle on the zone & then squeezed off another shot. After the shot broke I watched the T1 pop off the rail & onto the cement.

Luckily I stumbled & kicked it while walking over to pick it up. If it wasn't so funny I probably would have been pretty upset at myself for not investigating when I caught the dot jump. I had just achieved about as perfect a zero you could using 75gr Hornady TAP.

The mount had been set on a few uppers several times previously. The approximate round count was 1200.

It's no secret that I like LaRue mounts pretty well. I did everything I could to be as objective in using & evaluating the ADM.

I am a big fan of the T1."

KevinB
10-17-08, 08:22
Freddie -- Jer did post here for a bit as well.

C4IGrant
10-17-08, 16:39
Either the H-1 or T-1 w/LT mount will be what you want. The following is from a soldier preparing for future deployment. He is a combat wounded veteran and well trained carbine operator. His comments are a sample of one so take that into consideration when reading and drawing any conclusions.

-------------------
"I just wanted to thank you again for the T1 & ADM mount. I was running it as you had requested of me until tonight (10/15/08).

It broke on me when I was getting some reps in before heading to Columbia MO to hit one of Pat's classes. The female portion of the nut broke off during a string of fire. There are also signs of damage (chips missing) out of the threaded male portion. When it hit the ground it popped apart like a frag. The spacer & mounting unit kept it's integrity but all the other little pieces went flying. I believe I found everything but one spring.

A quick run down: I saw the dot jump on me what seemed like a long time after the actual recoil impulse had finished midway through a failure drill. I remember taking a micro second to let the dot settle on the zone & then squeezed off another shot. After the shot broke I watched the T1 pop off the rail & onto the cement.

Luckily I stumbled & kicked it while walking over to pick it up. If it wasn't so funny I probably would have been pretty upset at myself for not investigating when I caught the dot jump. I had just achieved about as perfect a zero you could using 75gr Hornady TAP.

The mount had been set on a few uppers several times previously. The approximate round count was 1200.

It's no secret that I like LaRue mounts pretty well. I did everything I could to be as objective in using & evaluating the ADM.

I am a big fan of the T1."

Interesting on breaking the ADM mount. I wonder if the lever was "smashed" onto the rail? The cross bolt is tool steel so the only thing I can think of is that the lever was pounded on and might and then have comprised the threads in some way.

Talking with ADM, they have had all of one mount (GEN II) that was returned to them as the guy beat the lever closed with a wrench. He also admitted that he did not read the instructions.

People can break hammers so it is not surprising that they break mounts, optics, rails, barrels, etc.

C4

C4IGrant
10-17-08, 16:42
Yeah, I won't need NV. Although, I don't plan on completely beating the tar out of it, but I want to be confident that it can take rain, puddles, can take some kits into walls, hitting the ground, etc., cold and hot weather (especially hot, I'm in AZ). The T-1 can take more temp extremes and I figured it would be stronger.

Will the H-1 get the job done just fine?

The H-1 will get the job done just fine. For mounts, the ADM and LT mounts are both high quality so choose what you want.

C4

austinN4
10-17-08, 17:23
The H-1 will get the job done just fine. For mounts, the ADM and LT mounts are both high quality so choose what you want.
I have an H-1 on an ADM QD mount and like both a lot. The ADM mount is very solid and easy to adjust.

I bought the H-1 instead of the T-1 as I didn't need NV capable. My only regret is that I wish the glossy H-1 had the same matte finish as the T-1, but don't think that alone is worth the extra $63 dollars.

ST911
10-17-08, 19:02
I've been trying to come up with a reason not to standardize on the T1 or H1 for personal and professional use...and I can't.

C3, M2, M3, M4, et al...all superb choices.

T1/H1...Best in size efficiency, and most adaptable to alternate weapons platforms.

Seems easy.

Sabre675
10-17-08, 19:17
Micro is unbelievable. As always Larue tops the chart. Complement the best with the best.

Sabre675
10-17-08, 19:19
FJB,

Haven't heard much from you lately. Any news on the Aimpoint front as far as future additions to the Aimpoint family? T2 Micro maybe?

;)

MisterWilson
10-17-08, 19:20
FJB,

Haven't heard much from you lately. Any news on the Aimpoint front as far as future additions to the Aimpoint family? T2 Micro maybe?

;)

You could call it the Terminator...

Sabre675
10-17-08, 19:30
You could call it the Terminator...

LOL! I think we have a new marketing rep. Slogans for the mans, man!:D

FJB
10-17-08, 21:22
Grant,
I should get pictures soon and I'll have him send the mount back to ADM for analysis. He is a pretty squared away guy and not one to "use a bigger hammer" if something isn't working properly.

Sabre,
Nothing new that I can talk about. However, Aimpoint is supporting the NRA-ILA with $100 for every CompM4 bought through Midway. (Sorry Grant...this was set up via our Commercial guys.)

S/F

C4IGrant
10-18-08, 09:31
Grant,
I should get pictures soon and I'll have him send the mount back to ADM for analysis. He is a pretty squared away guy and not one to "use a bigger hammer" if something isn't working properly.

Sabre,
Nothing new that I can talk about. However, Aimpoint is supporting the NRA-ILA with $100 for every CompM4 bought through Midway. (Sorry Grant...this was set up via our Commercial guys.)

S/F

Roger that. I am sure ADM would love to see the mount.

C4

normal
10-22-08, 10:01

C4

What's the word on the C3. I'm also new to red dots and am looking at starting with the C3, especially since SWFA is throwing in the Aimpoint QD mount for free right now. Everyone have good experiences with the C3?

Submariner
10-22-08, 11:01
Ever seen any used T-1's anywhere? Exactly.

There's one on EE in NOVA for $495 and includes an LT tall mount. There are several others, sans mounts, for under $499. There is even an M2 w/LT150 for $350, delivered.

I upgraded seven M2/ML2's with LT's to M3/ML3 with LT's for less than $150 out of pocket over the last two months. Market prices for used Aimpoints are now dropping.

It seems the Gang of Plunderers don't use their bail-out money to buy used Aimpoints. And those plundered need cash.

What's the word on the C3. I'm also new to red dots and am looking at starting with the C3, especially since SWFA is throwing in the Aimpoint QD mount for free right now. Everyone have good experiences with the C3?

We have successfully used 3 in EAG classes for the last two years. Only mistake was buying one in 4 MOA. Get the 2 MOA version. Then sell the Aimpoint mount and use the proceeds to buy a used LaRue.

normal
10-22-08, 16:49
Well, I went ahead and took the plunge and got the C3 from SWFA. They had a good deal that had the C3, standard 30mm ring, QD ring, and bikini covers for $389. I also got the Aimpoint spacer for an extra $10 so that I can co witness. I debated the merits of a red dot for a long time, but was finally pulled in from all that I have read about them. I am not using night vision and I don't go near water, so I think that the C3 and it's nice long battery life will suit me fine.

Turnkey11
10-23-08, 04:31
T-1 hands down.