PDA

View Full Version : will Glock continue the Gen 4?

p7fl
02-07-18, 18:21
I am one of the 4 people in the world who like the finger groves on the Glock 19 Gen 4s.
Has Glock announced if production will continue?

Reason for asking is whether to pick up another NIB.

WickedWillis
02-07-18, 18:38
They have made no comments they are stopping the Gen 4 productions that I have seen. They have also said in the near future there are no plans to have any non 9mm caliber Gen 5's. So I have no good answer for you.

jsbhike
02-07-18, 18:43
It seems a fair percentage of non .gov purchasers are tolerant at best to completely opposed to the finger grooves so unless an agency requests they cease production they will likely keep at it.

lee1000
02-07-18, 19:49
I would imagine Gen4 will be around for quite some time, Gen3 likely has something to worry about over the next couple of years.

cathellsk
02-07-18, 20:40
They have also said in the near future there are no plans to have any non 9mm caliber Gen 5's.

I’d heard the same but...http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/19/gen5-glock-22-sao-paulo/
It’s the same safety design as the 19MHS.

JulyAZ
02-07-18, 22:06
I would imagine Gen4 will be around for quite some time, Gen3 likely has something to worry about over the next couple of years.

Naw...I think it’s the other way around, gen 3 is favored over the 4 by most, and the Gen 3 is approved for California sale, so unless Glock turns away from the last foothold they have in California, I think they’ll be around longer than people expect.

lee1000
02-07-18, 22:18
Naw...I think it’s the other way around, gen 3 is favored over the 4 by most, and the Gen 3 is approved for California sale, so unless Glock turns away from the last foothold they have in California, I think they’ll be around longer than people expect.

Good point, I think the adjustable back straps on the Gen4 won't be going away though. Maybe the Gen5 will just be a limited run, probably not. Maybe Gen6 will have a finger groove insert, I really have no idea.

I can't imagine that Glocks wants any more than 3 generations being available at any one time though.

Firefly
02-07-18, 22:26
Gen 5 has been wanted for too long to be limited. Gen 4 has all calibers covered.

I think Gen 3 will end up regional/special run.

I want a Gen 5 non MOS G34.

Unless Gen 6 is a radical advancement, I can see them co-existing.

Also I think Gen 6 is a good ways away.

But it's Glock so....

JHC
02-08-18, 13:30
I am one of the 4 people in the world who like the finger groves on the Glock 19 Gen 4s.
Has Glock announced if production will continue?

Reason for asking is whether to pick up another NIB.

I didn't like the finger grooves, but I didn't dislike them. I have never been aware of them in any functional sense in use. A non factor. Now, after a fair bit of Gen 5 and 19X shooting, I've consistently found I am shooting Gen 3s and 4s better than more mechanically precise Gen 5 and 19X. In the case of the 19X its wonderful trigger scales the same as my Gen 4 G19 I shoot better scores with.

Now I'm starting to wonder what those finger grooves do for my boney fingers on the grip.

jsbhike
02-08-18, 15:35
Military Arms Channel got better groups out of a Gen 3 (or4?) than they got out of a 5.

Anyone know of reviews of the 5 vs. older generations using a ransom rest or other gadget to take the human factor out?

02-08-18, 15:44
I have a KKM barrel that tightens my Gen5 19 up by about 30%. I thought the grooves or trigger at first too.

Doc Safari
02-08-18, 15:52
They will discontinue the Gen 4's as a manufacturing necessity when the molds are worn out.

CPM
02-08-18, 18:06
The Gen 5 launch went about as well as the bay of pigs. 4 ain’t going anywhere.

w3453l
02-08-18, 18:34
The Gen 5 launch went about as well as the bay of pigs. 4 ain’t going anywhere.

What makes you say that? I thought the Gen 5 was pretty well received, but I'm in CA so my only way of gauging that is based on reading here and other forums.

And yeah, I think 4th Gen would be the first to go of the current three available. I think CA is too big of a market for them to lose. It would probably make more sense for Glock to just start producing Gen 5 versions of all the other calibers vs keeping Gen 5 as 9 mm only and Gen 4 for everything else.

Warp
02-08-18, 19:40
I highly doubt Gen3, Gen4, or Gen5 are going anywhere.

Gen3 will probably keep going so long as they are allowed to be sold new in California if for no other reason, I bet.

Military Arms Channel got better groups out of a Gen 3 (or4?) than they got out of a 5.

Anyone know of reviews of the 5 vs. older generations using a ransom rest or other gadget to take the human factor out?

Link?

Hopefully you aren't referring to one informal offhand somewhat rapid fire group with each gun when citing one gen grouping better than the other (I like his channel but that comparison was just silly)

SSGGlock
02-08-18, 22:18
The Gen 3s are staying, the Gen 4s will be discontinued. The Gen 5s may only be 9mm, due to the one pin frame. From what I’ve heard.