PDA

View Full Version : Carbon buildup on muzzle face

triggerjerk
02-08-18, 07:18
Can't help but wonder about the unsymmetrical carbon buildup between muzzle face and rear of fh. Is there a way to minimize or easy(ier) way to remove? Buildup almost encroaches on lapped bevel at end of bore. Or should I quit whining, keep bore/bevel clean and just shoot?

militarymoron
02-08-18, 07:41
Ignore it. Clean bore as normal.

markm
02-08-18, 09:29
I'll chip it off periodically on a gun that accumulates it. I just stay away from the crown.

triggerjerk
02-08-18, 10:15
Kinda what I figured. It's just that my anality shows when it's time to clean a firearm....

Maybe I shudda stuck to bolt guns...

militarymoron
02-08-18, 12:19
I only make an attempt to clean it if I change muzzle devices. Even so, I'll just scrape the larger chunks off and clean the threads with a bronze brush. I won't clean it until it's carbon free - not by a long shot.

Garry_prep
12-22-20, 04:40
Just go for your gun clean up. Soak it off with a patch or any other technique you may use. Well, good maintenance of the gun will keep the carbon away (https://gunreloading101.com/remove-rust-from-guns/) from depositing. Such as applying gun greasing oil, use steel wool or pipe cleaner. WD-40 is the most recommended clean that avoid rust or carbon deposits. Do it soon, or else it will affect your accuracy. Cheers :)

davidjinks
12-22-20, 06:49
Unless you’re having accuracy/precision issues with the ammunition you use and is a known good performer, don’t bother wasting your time.

I’ve personally seen guys take dental picks and scrape the ever loving hell out of their “muzzle”, destroying the crown and the exiting lands/grooves.

As has been stated; if you are changing a muzzle device, hit it with a brush and some CLP. Other than that, leave it alone.

Can't help but wonder about the unsymmetrical carbon buildup between muzzle face and rear of fh. Is there a way to minimize or easy(ier) way to remove? Buildup almost encroaches on lapped bevel at end of bore. Or should I quit whining, keep bore/bevel clean and just shoot?

Hohn
12-22-20, 19:56
I couldn't think of a way to remove it other than scraping with a brass punch. I didn't trust myself to get it off in a way that didn't ding the crown or such, so I just got it best I could with leaving a soaked patch on it overnight and lived with however that turned out. It's not causing accuracy issues, so I'm putting this on my "talk to CDO therapist" list.

Leonardo
12-24-20, 06:15
Buy a can of Motorcraft carburetor cleaner.
Pour it into a mason jar or plastic container
Immerse the muzzle device/barrel end in the cleaner and let it soak
The carbon will dissolve in a day or two