PDA

View Full Version : Browning Dropping Hi-Power Models from Production

HeruMew
02-08-18, 12:35
TFB Article (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/02/06/browning-ends-hi-power-production-1936-2017/)

No longer in production. The Hi-Power is one of John Moses Browning’s finest designs. And although it is possible to still find Hi-Power pistols at dealers across the U.S., the Hi-Power is technically out of production. Current dealer inventories will be the last available from Browning for the foreseable future.

Well, if you have an original Browning Hi-Power, those models will get seriously higher collector values in the next decade.

Sad to see them stop, I know there's a lot of copy cats still being produced and newer models.

Considered how integrated they were/are into sport shooting, it's a sad thing to see.

Bayoublaster
02-08-18, 14:33
It's a shame. I love them and will miss seeing them in the line up.

Arik
02-08-18, 15:25
I don't think they sold much on the commercial market. I have some good gun stores and I don't really remember any one carrying a new HiPower. Used...sure but almost never new. I think they were hanging on up until England and Canada dropped them

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
02-08-18, 18:01
I don't think they sold much on the commercial market. I have some good gun stores and I don't really remember any one carrying a new HiPower. Used...sure but almost never new. I think they were hanging on up until England and Canada dropped them

As far as I'm aware, Canada and Australia still issue them - and I thought the Canadian ones were domestically produced. When did that change?

Arik
02-08-18, 18:32
As far as I'm aware, Canada and Australia still issue them - and I thought the Canadian ones were domestically produced. When did that change?You could be right

LDB
02-08-18, 18:55
That is sad news. One of the all time great handguns. Owners will appreciate the value appreciation. A loss for the rest.

jsbhike
02-09-18, 08:25
As far as I'm aware, Canada and Australia still issue them - and I thought the Canadian ones were domestically produced. When did that change?

Canada was allegedly destroying theirs a few years back according to some Canadian news articles posted on the Hi Power forum.

If they were only using Inglis pistols(can't recall if those ended soon after the war or up in to the mid 50's) that isn't exactly a high volume user/source to sell to...which really seems to be the case world wide with military pistols.

1oldgrunt
02-09-18, 17:34
Not to burst your bubble but ALL UK forces including Canada are moving to the G17.

FN ceased production 2 years ago so this is not news to most.

As there are millions in circulation unless you have a special model or run they won't be appreciating much if any.

flenna
02-09-18, 19:03
The Browning Hi-Power and Colt 1911, the two most aesthetically pleasing handguns ever. IMHO.

MountainRaven
02-09-18, 22:44
Not to burst your bubble but ALL UK forces including Canada are moving to the G17.

FN ceased production 2 years ago so this is not news to most.

As there are millions in circulation unless you have a special model or run they won't be appreciating much if any.

Canada is not part of the UK. Neither is Australia nor New Zealand.

Dienekes
02-10-18, 01:22
The Browning Hi-Power and Colt 1911, the two most aesthetically pleasing handguns ever. IMHO.

The BHP is "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age", and a delight to the eye. Most of today's 'more advanced' pistols have all the visual appeal of a high-lift jack.

Pilot1
02-10-18, 08:12

It would be interesting to hear others opinions why the 1911 was so much more popular, especially over a wide variety of manufacturers over the BHP. The obvious is the 1911 was the standard issue U.S. sidearm 1911 - 1985, the trigger is superior out of the box, and the .45 ACP round. What else?

jsbhike
02-10-18, 10:06
Going to guess the being US issue along with being sold surplus (or stolen) combined with being of good quality are the main points.

I don't think the trigger on an out of the box original spec/issue 1911 is a major leap over an out of the box Hi Power and 1911 trigger jobs have historically been a big seller for gunsmiths.

meausoc
02-10-18, 11:10
That is sad news. One of the all time great handguns. Owners will appreciate the value appreciation. A loss for the rest.

Yes it is, plastic pistols and XD's for the masses.

ramairthree
02-10-18, 12:32
It is just hard to compete in the market cost wise.
CZ is about the only classic design, all metal, especially all steel gun that seems able to pack in a ton at plastic gun money.

SIG, Beretta, etc. charge a good bit more for a comparable gun.

What would the MSRP be on a new S&W 1006 if they made them?

jackblack73
02-10-18, 13:37
It would be interesting to hear others opinions why the 1911 was so much more popular, especially over a wide variety of manufacturers over the BHP. The obvious is the 1911 was the standard issue U.S. sidearm 1911 - 1985, the trigger is superior out of the box, and the .45 ACP round. What else?

The first time I ever held a BHP many years ago (I had held very few handguns at this point) the salesman kept going on about how great the grip was. However, it felt like a huge block to me. I don't know how common it was at the time, but it had very thick wood grips. The first time I ever held/shot a 1911 it was a completely different experience. It was love at first shot.

I realize the BHP grip is highly praised, but that was my experience. I've since held one with slimmer plastic grips and it was 1,000% better.

Dienekes
02-10-18, 14:10
The 1911 was "invented here", was a Colt when Colt was king, was a manly .45 caliber, and by the end of WWI was well known and proven. The BHP was a European gun that came to market in the depths of the Depression over there; I doubt that many found their way to the US until GIs brought back some as war trophies and curiosities. The 9mm ball cartridge was not popular here, and the large magazine capacity was apparently not a big selling point in those far-off days. Jeff Cooper had some kind things to say about the gun in his earliest writings, but not about the 9mm round.

The Super Vel loadings back in the mid 70s were an improvement, and by the time Glocks came along the word was that 9mm loads had improved to where the best of them seemed to be a decent defensive choice. Maybe so--although bigger still seems better somehow, studies be hanged. Still, there seems to be some evidence that supports that, and in these evil times a 15 round mag in a BHP has a certain appeal.

As well ask why people buy and shoot single action revolvers 145 years after their introduction in 1873.

If you're gonna be a gun--be an iconic gun.

jsbhike
02-10-18, 16:13
The first time I ever held a BHP many years ago (I had held very few handguns at this point) the salesman kept going on about how great the grip was. However, it felt like a huge block to me. I don't know how common it was at the time, but it had very thick wood grips. The first time I ever held/shot a 1911 it was a completely different experience. It was love at first shot.

I realize the BHP grip is highly praised, but that was my experience. I've since held one with slimmer plastic grips and it was 1,000% better.

For a staggered column pistol it is pretty thin. An even stranger thing is the polymer grips (that appear to be identical to the wood ones) feel much better to most. Never was wild about the polymer grips standard on the MkIIIs models.

A similar grip issue is with the ergonomic grips on the CZ75B that were on the ones allegedly being sold as over runs from a Turkish police contract. I could barely get on the trigger when it was in double action mode till I switched to the flat checkered standard ones.

Hulkstr8
02-10-18, 16:53
Total horseshit. Polymer ruins. By far my favorite 9mm.

26 Inf
02-10-18, 19:50
I'm sure glad I have a couple of 1911's, a CZ75, a CZ85, and a High-Power. Iconic, they are.

LDB
02-10-18, 19:58
The 1911 is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design. The BHP is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design.

misfit47
02-12-18, 06:17
They are way too expensive. I haven't owned one in years since I was introduced to CZ.

jsbhike
02-12-18, 09:56
The 1911 is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design. The BHP is a great gun in large part because it is a John Browning design.

The Browning name has more to do with the P35 than design....sort of. Dieudonné Saive finished up the Hi Power and changed quite a few things on it versus the prototypes from when Browning was alive, although he did tweak it more towards a 1911 as patents expired.

Something fun to screw with the average Fudd's mind is to have an FN built gun that Browning Arms didn't import. Can't be a Browning Hi Power since it just has "Pistolet, Automatique Browning Modele a Grande Puissance" wrote on it.

Pilot1
02-12-18, 10:33
For a staggered column pistol it is pretty thin. An even stranger thing is the polymer grips (that appear to be identical to the wood ones) feel much better to most. Never was wild about the polymer grips standard on the MkIIIs models.

A similar grip issue is with the ergonomic grips on the CZ75B that were on the ones allegedly being sold as over runs from a Turkish police contract. I could barely get on the trigger when it was in double action mode till I switched to the flat checkered standard ones.

I have large hands, and long fingers. The trigger reach on my BHP is a little short for me, but doable. The CZ-75's fit me perfectly. That is probably why I have five CZ's, and one Browning Hi Power.

02-12-18, 11:29
I carried a Hi Power years ago. It was a great pistol but I always had a hard time getting a good solid grip on it. It's just a little small for my hands and my hands are not big by any measure.

Someone once said the Hi Power was a great pistol for 12 year old girl. I kinda agree. It's just too dainty for most men.

yellowfin
02-15-18, 17:44
It seems like they never really tried very hard to push them here. Maybe international sales were so good they didn't figure they had to? Or as others have suggested maybe the 9mm round was a bit of a curse for it in this market from the 30's to the 80's. People had the .38spl when they wanted a low recoiling centerfire target round. Maybe that was all they wanted?

misfit47
02-15-18, 17:46
Supposedly the Turks are importing clones, but I've not seen one. I'm a CZ fanboy so wouldn't buy anyway. :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dienekes
02-16-18, 20:05
Just picked up my Turk HP (Regent BR 9) today. Have only handled it, field stripped it, and lubed it, but it looks pretty darned good for the $. Will see how it stacks up against my FN Mk. III in the short and long term.

It could be a winner.

AndyLate
02-17-18, 11:00
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

Interrupt
02-24-18, 12:38
They'd still be a perfectly viable pistol if they'd modernize production and lower the price. Alas....