PDA

View Full Version : Question about Curio & Relic guns

jhurt
02-08-18, 18:35
Due to a peculiarity in Illinois law, you have to maintain a 03FFL (Curio & Relic Collector's License) to own an SBR. I have heard from a few sources that the BATFE will not renew that license if you don't use it. I really only obtained it for SBR purposes so my question is...what is the dirt cheapest C&R eligible gun that I can buy on that license to ensure I can renew when necessary? I'd prefer a functional gun if I have to buy one I suppose.

easy
02-08-18, 20:46
You might want to research that a bit. Never heard of an 03 not being renewed for lack of use. How would they know, only you have the book to document your activities?

Never heard of a 03 as a requirement for an SBR either.

jhurt
02-08-18, 20:57
Well on the renewal form it asks how many firearms you have acquired using the license in the last 3 years. I suppose that needs to match what is in the records book you maintain.

As far as Illinois law: yes it’s idiotic. But I got my sbr.

dreamer56
02-08-18, 20:59
Interesting - I have not heard that they would not renew a C&R for lack of activity. I doubt that is correct actually but I have been wrong before.

Yes, in Illinois if you have a C&R you can go through the process to have an SBR.... others can have them also, firearm manufacturers, law enforcement, etc.... but not the common FOID holder who does not have a C&R.

LDB
02-09-18, 07:09
Learn something new every day. In this case another reason Illinois is a bastion of dumber than dirt leftist morons. I have no idea now but used to be some of the Arisaka rifles, and some of the minor participant nations rifles, from WWII were pretty inexpensive C&R candidates. Good luck.