PDA

View Full Version : Advice on back up sights on Glock MOS handguns

ArtoftheGun
02-11-18, 14:06
I have a Leupold Delta Pro I'm using on my Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS handgun and I'm trying to figure which iron sights to to go with. I want to make sure I have sights that the dot cowitnesses with. I've heard the MOS system requires different/unique/higher sights than a milled slide. I'm interested in the Leupold rear sight assembly for the Deltapoint pro, but wondering what front sight to use.

Any advice?

YVK
02-11-18, 16:51
The tallest suppressor height sight that you can find. I believe Ameriglo makes some, as does Dawson. I would buy the cheapest plain front to make sure it is usable. DPP has a relatively high housing and is hard to co-witness; I am not certain if I know anyone with MOS who has it co-witnessed. If you get a front sight that is visible through a window, it is good enough. Most of those co-witness sights are not even close to POA/POI hitting. They are there just as a crude backup.

ArtoftheGun
02-11-18, 16:54
The reason I asked is that Gabe Suarez over on Warrior Talk in response to my entirely innocent question went on a rant against Glock MOS handguns and read me the riot act and then blocked me from asking any more questions. Geesh. From what he said I gathered he is a big believer in co-witnessed red dot systems for the best experience using them. He has an interesting approach to customer service. I guess I did not drink the Suarez koolaid before registering over on that forum. :)

YVK
02-11-18, 17:06
Well, he offers milled slides for Glocks, alternatives are competition.

MOS has been criticized for being less optimal system than others and making it harder to co-witness. The former is largely a theoretic BS. Other systems may have some advantages but I personally know a good dozen of Carry Optic shooters that shoot the crap out of their MOS guns and nothing fails. Not the attachment, at least. The co-witnessing is obviously harder with any plate attachment system than a direct milling but I am sure it can be done for most optics.

ArtoftheGun
02-11-18, 17:12
Well, he offers milled slides for Glocks, alternatives are competition.

MOS has been criticized for being less optimal system than others and making it harder to co-witness. The former is largely a theoretic BS. Other systems may have some advantages but I personally know a good dozen of Carry Optic shooters that shoot the crap out of their MOS guns and nothing fails. Not the attachment, at least. The co-witnessing is obviously harder with any plate attachment system than a direct milling but I am sure it can be done for most optics.

Thanks! Good to know.

DirectTo
02-11-18, 18:48
One of the reasons I’ve only used MOS guns or dovetail adapters is I don’t want to be sitting on a milled slide in 5 or 10 years when the optic is broken or dead and nothing shares the footprint. MOS isn’t perfect, but it does offer a way around that for those who aren’t doing super high round HSLD or competition-type guns that won’t last that long.

ArtoftheGun
02-11-18, 18:50
that's a great point, and thanks. That's what I was thinking as well, frankly.