PDA

View Full Version : Remington files for bankruptcy

elephant
02-13-18, 14:53
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/d6f635b2-6cc6-3507-a233-ab1ccc9dc107/ss_remington-files-for.html

Remington claims declining gun sales and political woes from 2016 presidential campaign and past administration, gun others say because there is a widely held perception among gun enthusiasts that their products have become problem prone and unreliable since Freedom Arms bought them out.

HeruMew
02-13-18, 14:57
I would agree that the latter is the issue, not the prior.

RIP Remington. Wonder if anyone will pick them up and do what should be done and just stick to 2-3 guns that are actually good.

ETA:
They shoulda just dropped the whole pistol market. None of them.

Model 700s, Custom Rifles, and 870s. As long as they kept working, solid, and reliable product, they could stay afloat for generations with the reputation they had in those lines.

Waste of R and D dollars for the crappy pistols they've released.

Coal Dragger
02-13-18, 14:58
It’s because they’ve been selling utter shit for the past 20 years or so.

chuckman
02-13-18, 15:06
They aren't closing shop, just reorganizing it. Hopefully in the process they'll figure out the "quality over quantity" thing again.

BTW, their corporate HQ is in Madison, NC. My in-laws live a few miles from them; about 90 miles from me. It ain't a big facility...if you don't catch the sign when you drive by you wouldn't know what it was.

elephant
02-13-18, 15:13
Remington sells 9 versions of there products and the 1100 and 879 couldn't hold a candle to my Benelli M4 & M2. There rifles like the 700 are decent out of the box but not compared with a lot of products that are currently on the market, I think Savage is killing Remington in rifles now.

scottryan
02-13-18, 16:01
Too big
Too much east coast
Too many non-gun people running the show
Too many product lines
Too many customer bases
Too many holding company influences

SteyrAUG
02-13-18, 17:29
Too big
Too much east coast
Too many non-gun people running the show
Too many product lines
Too many customer bases
Too many holding company influences

Colt needs the same memo.

flenna
02-13-18, 17:46
I remember in High School my best friend's father collected Remingtons. He had a glass case as long as his living room wall filled with 870's, 1100's, 700's with the occasional Woodmaster and Gamemaster in the mix. We we would stand there and ogle all the bright bluing and flawless walnut stocks. My how far Remington has fallen.....

BoringGuy45
02-13-18, 17:49
They'll restructure, the guys responsible for the bankruptcy will be fired and golden parachute out, then be hired almost immediately to ruin some other company. Then, Remington will hire some new guys, who themselves just got fired for bankrupting some other public company, and they'll continue the same policies that bankrupted Remington to begin with, and continue to put out crappy products.

Mjolnir
02-13-18, 18:27
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/d6f635b2-6cc6-3507-a233-ab1ccc9dc107/ss_remington-files-for.html

Remington claims declining gun sales and political woes from 2016 presidential campaign and past administration, gun others say because there is a widely held perception among gun enthusiasts that their products have become problem prone and unreliable since Freedom Arms bought them out.

How about poor management by failing QA/QC, product development and oblivious and slow to alter their product lineup in lieu of market changes?

I fixed it for them... [emoji49]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwelz
02-13-18, 19:53
This is what happens when you:

Have terrible QC
Are tens of millions in debt
Don't produce anything worth purchasing
Ignore the wants of your client base
Don't come out with anything new for years.

Where is the Remington Defense ACR? Where are the competitors to the newer precision rifles from Ruger and other manufacturers? Where are the quality mid sized handguns?

Instead we get the Abortion that is the R51, some second rate 1911s and a Magazine fed 870....

Ad that to the extremely soft market and of course they are in trouble.

Bubba FAL
02-13-18, 20:16
Yep, Remington did a pretty good job of killing Marlin, too.

Vgex2
02-13-18, 20:53
Remington RP9. Maybe Remington should try lemonade sales instead.

LoboTBL
02-14-18, 00:38
Remington should've stuck with what they were good at.

They never should've tried to jump into the pistol market. The only thing I'll give them a pass on is doing a 1911 for the 100th Anniversary of the 1911 even though they did a poor job of it. It should've been spectacular, it should've been a limited edition and they should've kept production numbers low.

Savage is doing a better job with rifles and Mossberg is doing a better job with shotguns.

eightmillimeter
02-14-18, 01:05
The gun industry is hurting. There isn’t enough $$& out there to save big green. They are going adios. Someone may buy the rights to the name to save face but I’m afraid they’re done for.

I was going to start another thread but does anyone know what’s up with S&W? Rumor is they were served with a lawsuit (during or at SHOT). Something about not paying somebody a couple million.

AndyLate
02-14-18, 02:56
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

scottryan
02-14-18, 16:22
Notice how Remington quit making part number 86594. They are all sold out and one on the secondhand market cannot be found

T2C
02-14-18, 16:52
Notice how Remington quit making part number 86594. They are all sold out and one on the secondhand market cannot be found

IMHO if Remington would have focused more on bolt action rifles and maintained good quality control, I would have been happier with the company's product line and not moved on to another manufacturer. I overheard a similar comment made by a hunter/shooter today while I was standing in the local gun shop.

SteyrAUG
02-14-18, 17:07

Ironic to say, but if everyone would just kind of follow the Glock model of business they'd still be in business. The ONLY difference between commercial and LE Glocks is the color of the paper label and an additional magazine, except of course for NY where they have heavier trigger pulls.

T2C
02-14-18, 17:29
Ironic to say, but if everyone would just kind of follow the Glock model of business they'd still be in business. The ONLY difference between commercial and LE Glocks is the color of the paper label and an additional magazine, except of course for NY where they have heavier trigger pulls.

There is some merit to this. Build what is in demand, you are good at building and don't drive outside your lane.