PDA

View Full Version : CCW fanny packs

WillBrink
02-14-18, 12:36
Note: not a thread about whether would used one or not, a thread about those who do use them on occasion and have had good experiences with a brand they'd like to recommend. Not a thread to debate their merits that they are advertising someone is carrying a firearm. Bottom line: if you feel it screams gun, don't wear one. If you use one occasionally, what do you use/recommend? My take is, if one is going to use such a thing, it should be a dedicated CCW design with retention, quick access etc, vs a pack that has a general compartment for stuff not specifically designed for CCW

I'll go first. Brand/design I have had good experience with is:

https://www.elitesurvival.com/concealment-bags-packs/tailgunner-2-gun-pack/

However, mine is an older design that looks a bit different. Summer in FL, wallet, phone and a medium framed pistol (Vp9, G19, etc) fits. Dog walks, hikes in the park, etc, where casual dress exists, it's GTG.

Other brands people have have good experiences with? Tried a bunch back in the day, most didn't work out for one reason or another.

SomeOtherGuy
02-14-18, 13:39
Maxpedition Versipack. This is more of a shoulder bag man-purse than a fannypack, but it's similar in size and what you can do with it. I carry one for hiking, etc. where it is also convenient for a water bottle and small camera. They are pretty well made, although I believe they're imported from Taiwan rather than being US-made. There's a range of sizes and colors. None of them look 100% innocuous, but they don't scream "gun" or "off duty cop" either.

The biggest pluses: you can carry lots of useful stuff in addition to a pistol, and there is a separate compartment intended for a pistol and with a simple holster attachment.

The biggest minuses: drawing from that compartment is sloooow, you really need two hands for it to all work well, and it's not as gray-man invisible as some other options.

WillBrink
02-14-18, 13:55
Maxpedition Versipack. This is more of a shoulder bag man-purse than a fannypack, but it's similar in size and what you can do with it. I carry one for hiking, etc. where it is also convenient for a water bottle and small camera. They are pretty well made, although I believe they're imported from Taiwan rather than being US-made. There's a range of sizes and colors. None of them look 100% innocuous, but they don't scream "gun" or "off duty cop" either.

The biggest pluses: you can carry lots of useful stuff in addition to a pistol, and there is a separate compartment intended for a pistol and with a simple holster attachment.

The biggest minuses: drawing from that compartment is sloooow, you really need two hands for it to all work well, and it's not as gray-man invisible as some other options.

I have the original versa pack and the jumbo. Both great both get used. I see those more as a day or travel bag kinda thing and I use them for that regularly. I'm something of a Expedition slut and probably have 10 bags or some from them.

26 Inf
02-14-18, 14:29
Not exactly on the point of the topic, but at one time camelback made a carrier with a bottom pocket that was vitually undetectable. I read about it on another forum several years ago and, now that I want one cant find the reference.

Does anyon know, are they still available?

Dienekes
02-14-18, 16:14
A bit off topic, but: Saw various vehicle stickers on a rack today. One said "CCW on Board".

So much for the Grey Man approach.

SteyrAUG
02-14-18, 16:36
Doesn't matter just get one that's comfortable and secures to your belt.

In FL you aren't fooling anyone.

Fanny pack, it's a gun.
Reporters vest, its a gun.
Untucked long sleeve shirt, it's a gun.

Except for those two months of jacket weather that FL calls winter, concealment is virtually impossible. And if you use some supertuck rig and underwear holster, good luck getting to it in time if you actually need it.

I almost considered a man purse a couple times just for reasons of practicality.

Pilot1
02-14-18, 16:55
I used to use a fanny pack designed for a 35MM camera, and two additional lenses. The center "pocket" is perfect for a mid size gun, and the two other pockets are great for additional mags, and other stuff. However, several years ago I switched to a Maxpedition Versipack "Fat Boy". It is smaller than the Jumbo which I also have, but don't use as much.

kerplode
02-14-18, 18:01
I have a Maxpedition Fatboy Versapack that I carried around for a while. It's a nice, well made bag.

I stopped using it because I found it bulky and inconvenient...It's also pretty Timmy and not at all discrete.

If I was gonna go down this road again, I think I'd go for something more like a small messenger bag or small non-descript backpack.

Linebacker
02-14-18, 18:52
I have been kicking around the idea of Galco's Defense Planner holster.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/defense-planner_8_393_1077.html

CLHC
02-14-18, 19:20
No "fanny bag/pack" but did use a Sneaky Pete Bag(?) if I remember the name. Kinda sorta like the small sling bag Jack Bauer used on 24 but has leg and waist QD Buckle straps. Hook and Loop stiff inserts came with it. Still have it 'round here somewhere. Great all around utility bag and well built.

HardToHandle
02-14-18, 22:09
Kelty Sling Bag... https://www.kelty.com/sling-bag/

Not a fanny bag.

I use it for riding a bike, keeps a gun off the waistline when difficult to have there. For every day use, the drawstroke would be less natural than waist level. Thoroughly useable, especially if you aren’t trying to pick up attractive chicks.

signal4l
02-14-18, 23:10
I have known too many people that have gotten things stolen from lockers at health clubs. I needed to find a way to carry my pistol while I worked out. I bought one of these from Natchez Shooters Supply for 19.99. Highly recommended. You can fit a J frame, Ruger LCP sized weapon inside along with an iPod, car keys.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/products/detail.aspx?id=240

It's not as obvious as some of the other fanny packs

usmcvet
02-14-18, 23:27
I have an old Galco fanny pack that I used for my 642. It’s small and doesn’t scream Gun.

http://shop.libertypawnandgold.com/Item/Details/GALCO-FANNY-PACK-HOLSTER-BLACK-SMALLER-SEMI-AUTOS/919b8edb67df4f4a800d445e16512c3c

Looks like this but not leather.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180215/5f272b7cd37532409e47af489dca2c2d.jpg

I think this is it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180215/a740578dca967df4a86c7e6183291588.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honu
02-15-18, 06:07
maxpedition versi here also

and I do carry in just a backpack sometimes in the balder area while yeah its not instant the way I dress and stuff I cant always have it on my belt

flenna
02-15-18, 18:07
Well the one benefit of the current style being slobbish is that it makes it very easy to conceal by not tucking in your shirt. And looking normal doing so.

bad aim
02-15-18, 18:36
When I used one, I used London Bridge Trading's off-shore made one from True North Tactical. Well built and it was designed for firearms. If you look up "LBT-1528A", you can get some more pictures of it.

https://www.botach.com/tnt-black-waistpack/

SeriousStudent
02-15-18, 19:58
Not exactly on the point of the topic, but at one time camelback made a carrier with a bottom pocket that was vitually undetectable. I read about it on another forum several years ago and, now that I want one cant find the reference.

Does anyon know, are they still available?

The Goblin was the fanny pack, and the Demon was the backpack. I have both, and they have not been produced in years. They go for stupid money on eBay. along with the Eagle Industries fanny packs. I have multiple of those as well, suitably disguised with sewn-on labels from Jansport, North Face, Eddie Bauer. Makes me look like the old dude in flip flops that I am.

Make that heavily-armed old dude in flip flops.

The best of the current crop is Tommy's gun packs, IMHO. Be advised, he's also quit the business.