PDA

View Full Version : How do I search on shorter words?

GlockWRX
10-17-08, 12:47
I've noticed that the forum tools don't allow searches on words of 3 letters or less. Or they do allow it and I've got a bad case of the dumb. There are a lot of 3 letter words and acronyms in this industry (RPK, ACR, LPK, MRP, anything EOTech makes, etc). I'd love to search on them, but can't.

How do I search on 3 letter words? If the rules don't allow it, what are the chances the Mods would agree to change the policy?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Buck
10-17-08, 12:56
Goto www.google.com

Click: Advanced search

Put the search term in the field all these words:

Then put "m4carbine.net" in the field Search within a site or domain:

And then search away...

B

GlockWRX
10-17-08, 13:31
Thanks!

That was my...uhhhh....second guess.

VooDoo6Actual
10-20-08, 18:01
Jason,

I would also suggest these:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/

They are fairly good and even use DoD's Acronyms etc.

HTH...

Verbal Kint
10-21-08, 20:27
Or you can also simply use an asterisk ( * ) in your search and it will pull up the shorter, 3-letter, terns. Just be aware that the asterisk will also allow it to pull up anything containing those letters. For example:

Searching LPK* will pull up posts in regards to "LPK" or a lower parts kit.

Searching ACR* may pull up posts that are relevant to your search, but it will also hit on posts that have the word "ACROSS" used in it.

If you're somewhat computer savvy, you may realize that the asterisk is a wild card character. If you were using the command " dir *.exe " you would be trying to pull up any file with the .exe suffix. Similar, if you used " dir config.* " you would be searching for any file beginning with "config". Same principle applies to the vB search.

Hope that helps, and isn't too confusing in my explanation.

faithmyeyes
01-06-09, 09:55
Goto www.google.com

Click: Advanced search

Put the search term in the field all these words:

Then put "m4carbine.net" in the field Search within a site or domain:

And then search away...

B

I'm using Firefox with the integrated Google search field. If you're using something similar, you can shortcut these steps by adding the string "site:m4carbine.net" to the end of your search terms.

Example: entering lmt cqb mrp site:m4carbine.net returns a very relevant list of links to threads about those particular rifles, without having to click through to Google's Advanced page.

The other thing that using Google offers that I don't think the built-in search has is phrase search - the ability to enclose a phrase in quotes and search for it as a chunk.