PDA

View Full Version : You know you are getting old and have been on M4C too long when....

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-15-18, 00:32
Was looking at a scope mounting issue and I did a Google search, which lead back to an M4C thread from about 8+ years ago that I participated in where I described a scope-rifle-mount combo that I don't remember ever trying. You know you are getting old when you start to read something and you think the poster is really smart and you realize it is actually you that wrote it, but you have no recollection of it. You are an old bastard when you hate the guy who wrote the post and then you realize it was you.

That and when people at the range know who you are because they recognize your rifle...

Diamondback
02-15-18, 02:04
Take heart, you won't really be "old" until we have members where your registration date precedes their birthdates. :) Though I too have had my share of "No shit, *I* wrote that?!" moments over the years...

usmcvet
02-15-18, 03:27
You know you're old when you use the search function and find you have asked and answered the question here before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2C
02-15-18, 07:23
Old? How's that? Say again? What's a search function?

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-15-18, 07:34
There is a 50:50 chance I've started a thread like this before...

Campbell
02-15-18, 07:46

That made me laugh😀

Watrdawg
02-15-18, 07:48

Thats when you know your really old because your memory is failing you and you are not sure if this is the 1st time you've started a thread like this or the 50th!!.

SomeOtherGuy
02-15-18, 08:21
You know you are getting old when you start to read something and you think the poster is really smart and you realize it is actually you that wrote it, but you have no recollection of it.

I've done this multiple times on three separate forums... sigh. I'm barely past 40.

WillBrink
02-15-18, 08:21
You know you're old when you use the search function and find you have asked and answered the question here before!

BTDT.

C4IGrant
02-15-18, 08:26
Tell me about it. :-)

C4

docsherm
02-15-18, 08:45
I know what you mean. I did a Google search for a picture of a pice of gear that I wanted to show someone. Well, M4C came up and it was my picture that I posted about 9 years ago........

LMT Shooter
02-15-18, 08:52
I just had another member paraphrase me, and I had to go back & read what I wrote 6mo ago, because I couldn't remember. It did, fortunately, click in my memory once I read my post. Late 40's suck, not looking forward to the consequences of the next few decades, if I'm that lucky.

Det-Sog
02-15-18, 08:56
Thats when you know your really old because your memory is failing you and you are not sure if this is the 1st time you've started a thread like this or the 50th!!.

Well, they say that memory is the second thing to go. Now what was the first...

I'm over 50 and starting to fart dust, but at least I'm not hiding my own Easter eggs yet.

Doc Safari
02-15-18, 09:05

Yep. Companion to that is you use the search function and find that you are the one who started a thread on it years ago.

Watrdawg
02-15-18, 09:15
I'm 54 and the other day I went out to my truck to get something and along the way I forgot what it was. I still cant figure out what i was going to get.

Doc Safari
02-15-18, 09:20
I guess the epitome of having been a part of the gun forums too long is that you do a Google search for something and find a thread from 10-15 years ago. You go to the thread not really paying much attention to who the author was, and about halfway through something seem strangely familiar about it. You look at the author and realize it was you under another screen name when your firearm interests were very different and you haven't even visited that forum for years.

Bulletdog
02-15-18, 11:45
There was an internet 15 years ago??? I didn't think it had been that long since Al Gore invented it.

I still had a pager 15 years ago...

officerX
02-15-18, 12:33
There was an internet 15 years ago??? I didn't think it had been that long since Al Gore invented it.

I still had a pager 15 years ago...

I still had a pager for work 5 years ago!

ramairthree
02-15-18, 13:02
And you are not even accounting for posts done while drunk.

02-15-18, 13:20
I'm 54 and the other day I went out to my truck to get something and along the way I forgot what it was. I still cant figure out what i was going to get.

Not one foot in the grave like you:D, but I have done the exact same thing.

SteyrAUG
02-15-18, 14:23
I know what you mean. I did a Google search for a picture of a pice of gear that I wanted to show someone. Well, M4C came up and it was my picture that I posted about 9 years ago........

LOL. I've seen news sources use my "white tile" photos. Almost any google search pulls up at least one of my photos on the first page.

ABNAK
02-15-18, 15:21

Or a mod locks your new thread with a link to your old one! :rolleyes:

Doh!

The_War_Wagon
02-15-18, 18:04
Take heart, you won't really be "old" until we have members where your registration date precedes their birthdates. :)

I'm about HALFWAY there... :eek:

Jellybean
02-15-18, 19:01
That and when people at the range know who you are because they recognize your rifle...

I actually had this happen- met someone from here at a class because I was looking at his rifle and I was like "damn, that's like the quintessential M4C build...wonder if he's on there..." sure enough they were....and I was wearing the eyepro at the class I had just bought from them off the EE about a month previously... Small world... :laugh:

Mr. Goodtimes
02-15-18, 21:55
When 99% of the threads make you rage.

AKDoug
02-16-18, 00:31
I love those multi-year threads that you gave advice on, come back a year later giving completely different advice, then contradict yourself again three years later... all in the same thread.

MountainRaven
02-16-18, 01:54
I still had a pager for work 5 years ago!

My dad still has a pager for, well, it isn't work, because he's an unpaid volunteer, but it's also the only thing he does any more that resembles work.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-16-18, 08:05
You know you are getting old or at least around m4 and the like too much when you read a FB post that says "I tragically lost a relative last night" but you read it as "I tactically lost a relative last night". You reread it because it doesn't make sense but you still read "tactically". I know I had only had one cup of coffee but when I finally realized what it said I thought of this post.

tog
02-16-18, 12:15
You guys are not old. Real "old" is when you drive across college campus and a sexy young blond in a short skirt steps out in front of you to cross the road and your first thought is, "I wonder if her parents know she dresses like that." Now that's old!

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-16-18, 12:21
You guys are not old. Real "old" is when you drive across college campus and a sexy young blond in a short skirt steps out in front of you to cross the road and your first thought is, "I wonder if her parents know she dresses like that." Now that's old!

When I meet an attractive, personable and smart young woman, and I think, I hope my daughter ends up like her.

02-16-18, 14:00

That's funny!

Hope everything is going well. Seemed like you stopped posting for a while but restarted somewhat recently. Or, it could just be the rage your post instilled in me is flummoxing my brain. I tend to notice posters that joined around the same time as myself and have stuck around.

graffex
02-17-18, 09:18

This lol

AndyLate
02-17-18, 11:31
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

LMT Shooter
02-18-18, 00:48
When I meet an attractive, personable and smart young woman, and I think, I hope my daughter ends up like her.

If that's what you think when you see a young hottie, then you probably are old::cool:

Moose-Knuckle
02-20-18, 18:21
The older posts on M4C is where it's at.

I lurked on here way before joining. I re-read old threads all the time, lots of knowledge nuggets to be had from those early years.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-20-18, 18:35
Does anyone know when the first "The Chart" post was?

That was like seeing boobs in person the first time...

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/young-attractive-man-astonished-amazed-shock-surprise-face-expression-shock-emotion-as-paradigm-facial-isolated-85942948.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
02-20-18, 22:19

IIRC it was sometime in 2008.

Diamondback
02-20-18, 23:00

Speaking of The Chart... has anyone ever considered updating and rebuilding it, since the original compiler decided to pull it down a hole with himself and then pull the hole in behind him?

Doc Safari
02-21-18, 09:01
Speaking of The Chart... has anyone ever considered updating and rebuilding it, since the original compiler decided to pull it down a hole with himself and then pull the hole in behind him?

Just what the Hell was wrong with that guy, anyway? I almost quit this forum because of him, and then almost a day or two later he was banned.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-21-18, 09:09
Just what the Hell was wrong with that guy, anyway? I almost quit this forum because of him, and then almost a day or two later he was banned.

We had a lot of banning and e-suicides where people would leave a post about why they were offing their membership there for awhile. It's the interwebs, I don't take very much seriously.

chuckman
02-21-18, 09:16
Ahhhh....."The Chart." The definitive knower of all things AR quality.

I remember some of the guys talking about this new company, "Bravo Company."

Like a lot, I lurked WAY before I for-reals joined. I miss the interaction with a lot of BTDT SMEs.

Doc Safari
02-21-18, 09:17
We had a lot of banning and e-suicides where people would leave a post about why they were offing their membership there for awhile. It's the interwebs, I don't take very much seriously.

I remember the early days when I first became a member. I knew right off the bat this place didn't want to become "TOS-light", but there were some members who were obviously posting from a professional perspective and might not add to a thread for months or years. It was about pro-level equipment and training.

I appreciated that.

BUT.....it also led to heavy-handedness on some things and a lot of times I thought the crickets were chirping unnecessarily.

I don't know if some of the "classic" members like littlelebowski (just picking one at random) moved on to other forums because they thought this site was becoming "TOS-light" or if it's just the nature of the internetz for people to get what they want out of a forum and move on.

Doc Safari
02-21-18, 09:24
Ahhhh....."The Chart." The definitive knower of all things AR quality.

I remember some of the guys talking about this new company, "Bravo Company."

Lawd-a-muhcy.

I remember hearing the name "Bravo Company" for the first time and thinking "Wow, that's a cool name and everybody says they make AR's to the highest standard."

My first AR after a dry spell of about 12 years was actually a Daniel Defense. Great rifle but I just didn't like how "they" decided what handguard I wanted, and it was only set up for a single-point sling IIRC. I decided to sell that one and get a BCM rifle.

Well, there's where the fun began. BCM was a smallish company in 2010. Literally NOBODY in the gun business (at least locally) stocked any or had even heard of them.

I had to do some campaigning to get my buddy who owns a gun shop to order me one. I had really played up their commitment to quality control and how they were superior to almost every other manufacturer out there. I finally convinced him to do his own research on the net, and the rest is history. He now owns BCM rifles also.

Moose-Knuckle
02-21-18, 17:13
I remember the early days when I first became a member. I knew right off the bat this place didn't want to become "TOS-light", but there were some members who were obviously posting from a professional perspective and might not add to a thread for months or years. It was about pro-level equipment and training.

I appreciated that.

BUT.....it also led to heavy-handedness on some things and a lot of times I thought the crickets were chirping unnecessarily.

I don't know if some of the "classic" members like littlelebowski (just picking one at random) moved on to other forums because they thought this site was becoming "TOS-light" or if it's just the nature of the internetz for people to get what they want out of a forum and move on.

People come and go for different reasons. Humans are peculiar creatures.

The member you mentioned left after posting a "I'll probably get banned for this but..." thread after a situation arose between an Industry Pro and an SME. He along with many other M4C members (both past and present) are over on Pistol Training Forum, I use a different handle there as I do with all the other forums I have memberships to. First gun board I joined was in 99ish, and there are several members here from that site.