PDA

View Full Version : Finish-wise, which is "better"?

ABNAK
02-15-18, 17:06
Hard chrome or chromium nitride?

MegademiC
02-15-18, 19:27
Hard chrome is a plating of pure chromium, typically from a hexavalent bath.
Chromium nitride is what you get after a treatment to chrome (like ferritic nitride)

Whats the application? I suppose you could nitride chrome plating, though i dont know the process and may cause issues(like changing the temper of the substrate) leading to a net negative effect on the final product.

Edit, looks like CrN can be vapor deposited... but again, dont know the process or how it could be applied to gun parts.
Are you seeing CrN coated gun parts for sale?

SomeOtherGuy
02-15-18, 20:27
Where are you seeing "Chromium nitride" being offered?

vicious_cb
02-15-18, 23:15
Where are you seeing "Chromium nitride" being offered?

Its basically Ionbonds DLC. Its been used on gun parts for a while but I havent seen it offered much lately.

DLC coating for highly loaded industrial components and high volume automotive applications
Ionbond’s Tribobond™ 42 DLC, CrN + a-C:H, coating is engineered for very highly loaded components. It combines a high load carrying capacity and fatigue resistance with a high wear resistance and still exhibits very low friction properties.

Tribobond™ 42 DLC presents an excellent performance on valve train (e.g. tappets) and crank train components (e.g. piston pin/ring). State of the art common rail and unit injector components are protected with Tribobond™ 42 in order to improve the robustness and lifetime of fuel pump and fuel injection systems.

Performance
Ionbond’s Tribobond™ 42 DLC is especially designed to run under combined rolling and sliding situations. It combines properties of extreme fatigue resistance, a very low coefficient of friction, and high wear resistance within one coating system. In operation, this coating architecture provides extreme protection of the coated part, as well as the counterpart.

Iraqgunz
02-16-18, 02:17
I have a barrel and BCG which were DLC'd. In my best Vietnamese it's phukking amazing. But, it's near impossible to find places to have it done.

Its basically Ionbonds DLC. Its been used on gun parts for a while but I havent seen it offered much lately.

ABNAK
02-16-18, 04:49
JP Enterprises Enhanced bolt is chromium nitride. I have one in my parts bin and was wondering how it stood up to hard chrome.

BFS
02-16-18, 07:59
Would this be a similar coating to BCMs Ion Bond on their FDE BCGs?

AAMP84
02-16-18, 16:38
Chromium Nitride is a PVD in the same family as TiN, DLC, and AlTiN. They're used on drill bits because of their hardness. It's what Cryptic Coatings uses on their bcgs, but they polish them before coating.

ABNAK
02-16-18, 19:27
Chromium Nitride is a PVD in the same family as TiN, DLC, and AlTiN. They're used on drill bits because of their hardness. It's what Cryptic Coatings uses on their bcgs, but they polish them before coating.

The JP bolt I have is chrome looking, i.e. dull silver-ish.

AAMP84
02-16-18, 19:34
The JP bolt I have is chrome looking, i.e. dull silver-ish.

I know, I meant that Cryptic polishes THEIR bcgs before the coating is applied. That's why it looks different than the typical PVD/CVD coatings. I have a chrome bolt and a couple phosphate bolts that I had coated in Ionbond DLC. The finish on the phosphate ones is notably darker than the chrome. The look of PVD coatings is somewhat dependant substrate material.