PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pocket multi tool

WillBrink
02-16-18, 14:56
I like to try various small multi tool type gizmos. Most are worthless, some do come in handy in a pinch.

I have become very fond of the of the Victorinox Swisscard Lite Pocket Tool:

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissCards/SwissCard-Lite/p/0.7300.T

So much so I have two. They will fit in a wallet, but I tend to drop one in shirt pocket, front pant pocket, etc. Swiss Army has more experience in fitting useful stuff in small places than anyone, and pretty much invented the multi-tool. Everything in it works, and it stuff you actually use, like a pen, a light, etc. Those times where I'm short on space, that, some cash, and credit cards is great. Only flimsy part of it is the blade, but used as intended (opening letters, boxes, etc) it works find. I tad more robust, full tang in the little plastic handle, and it could handle larger jobs like cutting rope and such, but that's what you're folder is for ;)

A friend just sent me this 20 in 1 tool he likes alot, but I have not had time to use it. These types of mini multi tools usually clip on a key chain and such. This one does get high marks from people and seems very well made and thought out:

https://www.trueutility.com/multi-tools/the-fixr-20-tools-in-1/

Any favorites I should know about?

gunnerblue
02-16-18, 15:30
I like the Leatherman Squirt. There are two models- one with scissors and one with pliers. I prefer the pliers since there is still the knife blade for cutting. I also like my old Kick model, sadly discontinued. It’s more comfortable on a belt but small enough to slide into a pocket if need be- similar to the original Leatherman tool. I also have a few small Gerber tools (the models escape me), but prefer the Leatherman models for their functionality and size.

militarymoron
02-16-18, 18:11
The older Leatherman Wave, and SwissTool Spirit X are my favourite multi-tools.

CLHC
02-16-18, 18:22
SwissTool Spirit XC Plus Ratchet

docsherm
02-16-18, 18:45
The older Leatherman Wave, and SwissTool Spirit X are my favourite multi-tools.

Yes, the older Leatherman Wave is my favorite. Luckily, I have 4 of them. Different kits were set up at one time. ;)

LMT Shooter
02-17-18, 00:55
I have a bunch of older Gerber Multipliers. I haven't used much of anything else for comparison, but I love the older Gerbers. Not too keen on a lot of their newer models.

Averageman
02-17-18, 09:47
Leather man Wave.
I must have ten different models, to include Gerber's, but the Wave got it right.

Ryno12
02-17-18, 10:01
I have a Leatherman Skeletool as my daily carry pocket tool at work. Perfect size for the pocket & just the right tools.

I also have a MUT and Signal that I occasionally carry, depending on what I’m doing.

AndyLate
02-17-18, 10:42
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

soulezoo
02-17-18, 12:00
Leather man Wave.
I must have ten different models, to include Gerber's, but the Wave got it right.I agree.

Gerbers always had the nasty habit of pinching when using the pliers

Pilot1
02-17-18, 16:49
Leatherman PS4 Squirt. Lost three of them at the airport, and gave up after that.

elephant
02-17-18, 22:06
I have a favorite:

Swiss Tech Utili-Key

It is discreet and it passes through TSA every time and it comes in handy. The built in screwdriver is small enough to work on eye glasses yet big enough to work on larger- household screws. The knife is sharp and can trim finger nails, cut through small rope, open cardboard boxes and the serrations can strip electrical wire and cut through tougher material such as a leather belt, canvas and a caulking.

I have the Leatherman OHT and I think its just a step down from the Military Wave or the EOD. Either way, it gets the job done.

LMT Shooter
02-18-18, 00:03
Same here, my favorite is still the Gerber I bought in '92 or '93.

I had a Leatherman Sideclip I liked as well, it was great to carry in BDUs/ACUs. Unfortunately I set it down somewhere and walked away.

I haven't carried a multiplier since I retired from the military though, unless a P-38 or SAK counts.

Andy

The easy one hand opening is what got me. I still have the original version somewhere, all of mine open with a flick of the wrist.

I'm about ready to try a Leatherman, it's the hands down fav so far, & I'm curious as to what I'm missing out on.