PDA

View Full Version : Delton Barrel Quality

officerX
02-18-18, 13:26
I probably already know the answer but I want to hear it from y’all. How good/bad is a non-chrome lined Delton barrel?

It wouldn’t be used in a go-to or precision rifle, just a plinking/target build but I still don’t want to waste my money or junk either.

AKDoug
02-18-18, 16:44
I probably already know the answer but I want to hear it from y’all. How good/bad is a non-chrome lined Delton barrel?

It wouldn’t be used in a go-to or precision rifle, just a plinking/target build but I still don’t want to waste my money or junk either.

Pretty much everything Delton is junk. You can get a significantly better barrel from Ballistic Advantage or Sionics for not much more money.

officerX
02-18-18, 16:51
Pretty much everything Delton is junk. You can get a significantly better barrel from Ballistic Advantage or Sionics for not much more money.

Kinda of what I figured. I’ve been eyeing a BA blem barrel for pretty cheap but it’s an 18” and I’ve been wanting a 20”.

AAMP84
02-18-18, 18:48
Kinda of what I figured. I’ve been eyeing a BA blem barrel for pretty cheap but it’s an 18” and I’ve been wanting a 20”.

BA is running a President's Day sale and the prices are pretty low.

joeg26er
02-18-18, 18:59

Not True at least my example of One upper I got about 9 years ago. It shoots sub MOA-MOA groups with S/B 55gr ammo
over 500 rounds - no issues except, did not like my reloads so it has a tight chamber and taught me that I need a Full Length resizing die.
Not sure about their quality now

@akdoug - what Deltons have you shot?

Eurodriver
02-18-18, 22:00
Not True at least my example of One upper I got about 9 years ago. It shoots sub MOA-MOA groups with S/B 55gr ammo
over 500 rounds - no issues except, did not like my reloads so it has a tight chamber and taught me that I need a Full Length resizing die.

“Over 500 rounds” in 9 years, you say?

Kain
02-18-18, 22:14
“Over 500 rounds” in 9 years, you say?

Sssshiitt, I've done more than that in one range session.
On side note for Delton, and this isn't one of their barrels, but over all QC/QA. I have a friend who recently contacted me wanted to know what I thought might help fix an issue with a Delton lower that he was having issues with. Unfortunately, he had SBR'd the lower before testing it and with bolt forward the lower will not easily allow the magazine to drop free. As in if the bolt isn't locked back you are forcibly striping it according to him. Basically from what he is telling me, and I haven't put hands on it yet, he has to punch the release and strip the mag in the best case. This is not something that I would see giving me the warn and fuzzies about Delton QC/QA more so when there are other manufactures out there who I would trust a lot more for a GP fighting barrel with ain't gonna be over gassed since every Delton rifle that I have handled that was complete was a basic commercial grade POS with a carbine buffer and I would bet an over gassed barrel.

Short answer, no, I wouldn't buy a delton anything in the market where there are better quality rifles for less or minimally more.

AKDoug
02-18-18, 22:36

I doubt they've gotten better. The last one I shot was in a build I did in 2013. I got the barrel in a trade. Over gassed, not very accurate, not a 5.56 chamber, poor finish. Plenty of them come into the range I used to be the president of, most a 2MOA at best and show obvious signs of overgassing, so mine wasn't an anomaly. It got swapped out for a used Colt barrel and I moved on.

AKDoug
02-18-18, 22:37
Sssshiitt, I've done more than that in one range session.
On side note for Delton, and this isn't one of their barrels, but over all QC/QA. I have a friend who recently contacted me wanted to know what I thought might help fix an issue with a Delton lower that he was having issues with. Unfortunately, he had SBR'd the lower before testing it and with bolt forward the lower will not easily allow the magazine to drop free. As in if the bolt isn't locked back you are forcibly striping it according to him. Basically from what he is telling me, and I haven't put hands on it yet, he has to punch the release and strip the mag in the best case. This is not something that I would see giving me the warn and fuzzies about Delton QC/QA more so when there are other manufactures out there who I would trust a lot more for a GP fighting barrel with ain't gonna be over gassed since every Delton rifle that I have handled that was complete was a basic commercial grade POS with a carbine buffer and I would bet an over gassed barrel.

Short answer, no, I wouldn't buy a delton anything in the market where there are better quality rifles for less or minimally more.

Sounds like it may just need a little mag release button adjustment.

Kain
02-18-18, 22:54
Sounds like it may just need a little mag release button adjustment.

Maybe. But, he told me he ordered a new mag release and swapped it today and the issue was still there. He originally contacted me earlier in the week and we had talked about what might be causing the issue.
i haven't been able to diagnose it myself since he is a few states away. I was actually shocked/honored, I was the guy he went to for advice. First thoughts was a mag issue, then the release, but he is reporting that with bolt forward the mag release is stiff and the mag will not easily drop. No upper, no issue. No downward pressure, no issue. Mags don't appear to be an issue either as of now. Since I can't readily, inspect the lower and I can't figure out what is causing it, nor have I been able to replicate with my stuff, i am currently agreeing with him it could be a lower issue pending having another friend closer to him take the lower and inspect it.

AndyLate
02-18-18, 23:51
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

joeg26er
02-19-18, 06:56
@eurodriver
To clarify

I bought it about 9 years ago
Shot about 500 rounds through it at that time
Mostly sb factory 55gr
Then I put it aside at that time and haven't shot it since
As I said
Sample of one delton 9 years ago
Tight chamber but shot about moa fresh out of the box
Others seemed to have more issues

I've moved on to other manufacturers since 9 years ago

joeg26er
02-19-18, 07:04
Also my barrel was ordered as chrome lined
So perhaps not useful information since
Op asked about non cl

MegademiC
02-19-18, 07:50
They work, but i wouldnt pay more than $60 for one.

officerX
02-19-18, 11:05
You really are on the wrong site for many people to give Del ton a thumbs up.

Not wanting a thumbs up, just an honest answer. I’ll be placing an order from BA later today.

vicious_cb
02-19-18, 11:22
Cutting a .223 chamber into an AR barrel is cheap way to bump up accuracy at the expense of reliability. Why do you think all the shit tier companies like Shrubmaster and DPMS always need to get their barrels reamed? When the internet version of an awesome barrel is a sub-moa 3-shot group of course the bottom feeders are going to cheat.

jackblack73
02-19-18, 12:28

Isn't a tight chamber dangerous? I don't see how you can give a barrel a good review while at the same time saying it has a tight chamber.

AndyLate
02-19-18, 14:26

officerX
02-20-18, 15:52
Just ordered this, and am glad I did.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/officerfrasher/Capture12_zpsg68yxkwl.png

AndyLate
02-20-18, 19:11

officerX
02-20-18, 19:36
Cool, and a great price, I am guessing it was pretty close to the cost of a similar barrel from Delton.

Andy

It was on an EE, I don’t remember if it was listed as new or used but they were asking $175 shipped.