PDA

View Full Version : Favorite MP5-style rifle lower?

Ron3
02-19-18, 16:58
I was curious what people like.

I used to have a G3-style rifle with the "Navy" polymer lower with smooth, fixed grip. I did not like it. Selector was too far away, didn't like the texture and didn't like the shape of the grip itself.

The old metal lower grip feels good, but I haven't felt one attached to a rifle.

And isn't there an extended selector available? What lowers does it fit?

I've looked around but can't find a run-down on the pros and cons of the various HK lowers.

Renegade
02-19-18, 17:14
Standard Navy works for me.

There is an ESSL selector, AFAIK it only is for left side.

Paul Howe has discussed the issues with the selector.

militarymoron
02-19-18, 17:21
I like the Navy style lower (for use with the standard trigger group) and this ambi selector:
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/SEF-Enhanced-Ambi-Selector-Set-Navy-Style-243p18065.htm

I wish the 'real' Navy ambi lowers had an extended lever on the right side (I'm a lefty); not just the left.

Renegade
02-19-18, 17:24
I like the Navy style lower (for use with the standard trigger group) and this ambi selector:
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/SEF-Enhanced-Ambi-Selector-Set-Navy-Style-243p18065.htm

I wish the 'real' Navy ambi lowers had an extended lever on the right side (I'm a lefty); not just the left.

Hmmm. Can't decide if that cost me $75 or saved me $200+. I think it saved me $200+.

Thanks for link.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-19-18, 18:24
Im a left handed shooter and run an SEF style on my MKE Mp5 clone with no problems. The HK94 and 93 rifles I had used the metal style semi automatic lowers with the two piece plastic grips. I prefer the plastic SEF type personally.
I guess I don't know what I'm missing with the ambi Navy lowers. Never felt the need to change them but that's just my two cents.

militarymoron
02-19-18, 19:35
Im a left handed shooter and run an SEF style on my MKE Mp5 clone with no problems. The HK94 and 93 rifles I had used the metal style semi automatic lowers with the two piece plastic grips. I prefer the plastic SEF type personally.
I guess I don't know what I'm missing with the ambi Navy lowers. Never felt the need to change them but that's just my two cents.

I don't like the ridge (thumbrest) right under my palm on the left side of the plastic SEF lowers; I've always found them uncomfortable. The SEF grips are optimized for right-handed shooters. The Navy style housing ($100) combined with the ambi safety previously linked is a cheaper alternative to the more expensive complete ambi group.

RetroRevolver77
02-19-18, 19:41
I use 0 1 standard steel lowers that came with the rifles. However I've been looking at the FBI ambi 0 1 lowers- because technically they were issued with these.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-MP5-German-FBI-2-Position-0-1-Housing-Clipped-Pinned-242p163.htm

militarymoron
02-19-18, 19:49
I use 0 1 standard steel lowers that came with the rifles. However I've been looking at the FBI ambi 0 1 lowers- because technically they were issued with these.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-MP5-German-FBI-2-Position-0-1-Housing-Clipped-Pinned-242p163.htm

That particular housing won't work with the trigger pack from a standard steel housing. You'd need the complete group - here's the lower cost alternative to the German one: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-94-Trigger-Group-2-Position-Navy-Housing-0-1-Safe-Semi-Only-89p17238.htm

RetroRevolver77
02-19-18, 19:57
That particular housing won't work with the trigger pack from a standard steel housing. You'd need the complete group - here's the lower cost alternative to the German one: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-94-Trigger-Group-2-Position-Navy-Housing-0-1-Safe-Semi-Only-89p17238.htm

They make that also for the MP5K/SP89 which I need 922r parts for.

Thank you, didn't see that available before.

7n6

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-19-18, 20:24
The non clipped and pinned SEF Navy lower might be worth checking out. I might just be tempted enough to get this since I can drop my SEF internals into it and go. Since my clone has the second push pin this should work pretty easily.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-SEF-Navy-Style-Polymer-Housing-Push-Pin-242p2462.htm

The ridge on the SEF grip is bothersome as a lefty but after all these years I just learned to ignore it.

militarymoron
02-19-18, 20:25
They make that also for the MP5K/SP89 which I need 922r parts for.
Thank you, didn't see that available before.
7n6

Here are both options - on my HK93 I went with the 'lower cost alternative' ambi group, which was still almost $400. On my SP89, I installed the ambi safety on a Navy style S-F housing utilizing the OEM semi trigger pack, which totaled about $200. The HK ambi housings have a bigger hole for the safety, and only fit the ambi trigger packs. The smaller hole housings will fit OEM, non-ambi trigger packs.

https://i.imgur.com/Es9IaYc.jpg

Ron3
02-20-18, 01:09
Whats the downside to the steel lower?

I think it looks good and like the grip.

kaltesherz
02-20-18, 01:23
FBI Ambi FTW!

https://i.imgur.com/51uMVYP.jpg

militarymoron
02-20-18, 08:29
Whats the downside to the steel lower?
I think it looks good and like the grip.

There's no downside if you like it. For me, the downside is that the grip has the same ridge that i find uncomfortable on the SEF lower. I replaced the plastic grip on a metal lower with a Navy-style plastic grip many years ago before plastic Navy-style lowers were available. The other downside for me is being a lefty, there isn't any ambi safety available for a metal lower that I'm aware of - they make them only for the plastic contoured SEF lowers and the Navy-style lowers.

SteyrAUG
02-20-18, 23:03
I can shoot any of them, the only thing I don't like about plastic older SEF trigger groups is the detent is pretty locked in place and you really need to lean on it to change the position. It takes me almost part of a second to angle the lower to change the selector on either the old stamped steel groups or the newer picto groups. Extended levers actually slow me down because they get in my way.

What baffles me most though, is those who have problems with HK selectors never seem to complain about the AK selectors which are probably the least ergonomic of any rifle ever made, but they remain one of the most favorite small arms of all time.

Ron3
02-21-18, 07:25
What baffles me most though, is those who have problems with HK selectors never seem to complain about the AK selectors which are probably the least ergonomic of any rifle ever made, but they remain one of the most favorite small arms of all time.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Speaking of ergo's, I found that even an ak is better than the g3 and I'm sure the mp5, too, when in comes to mag changes. (Even with paddle releases)

Heck even the Vz61 Skorpion has a last shot hold open, drop free mags, (that insert straight in) and easy - sweep rotating fire selector. And a great trigger, too.

militarymoron
02-21-18, 08:06

Are you speaking from a lefty or righty's point of view? As a lefty, I use my right thumb to flip the AK safety down, then move my right hand to the forearm. As for HK lowers, having an ambi safety as a lefty does help.

I think that one of the problems is that we're spoiled by the ergos of the AR15, especially one that is set up with ambi controls. I can't manipulate any other weapon as quickly in the same drills, so I end up trying to figure out ways of doing so. Not all weapons have the same manual of arms, but I think that it's just human nature to try out whatever speeds up that process (if it's important to the individual), rather than accept 'that's the way it is'.

IIRC, the AR15 was designed with disposable mags in mind (hence the drop free design); whereas others like the AK, HKs, M14s, FAL etc were designed with magazine retention in mind (like the original Glock non drop-free mags), but with today's timed drills emphasizing speed, the original intent of the weapons' designers is sometimes forgotten.

SteyrAUG
02-21-18, 14:00
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Speaking of ergo's, I found that even an ak is better than the g3 and I'm sure the mp5, too, when in comes to mag changes. (Even with paddle releases)

Not really, HK mags are straight insert and don't need to be hung. If you are more familiar with AKs you will do mag changes faster with AKs, if you are more familiar with G3s you will do mag changes faster with G3s.

Ron3
02-22-18, 07:59
Not really, HK mags are straight insert and don't need to be hung. If you are more familiar with AKs you will do mag changes faster with AKs, if you are more familiar with G3s you will do mag changes faster with G3s.

Certainly.

I guess I'm in the same boat as many others. Kinda want an mp5 style weapon but it's tough to put $2k minimum into a range toy. Yea I know it's not a bad HD weapon but any weapon used for SD is difficult to get back from the state.

The thread did answer my questions, thanks.

Basically I prefer lowers other than the "navy" style so if I get one in another style it will save some money.

JoshNC
02-22-18, 14:59
Ambi is my preference. It’s what I have on my MP5-N. But I still have a SEF on my K-N and it’s fine. The preference is purely aesthetic in my case.

Rayrevolver
02-22-18, 16:17
Certainly.

I guess I'm in the same boat as many others. Kinda want an mp5 style weapon but it's tough to put $2k minimum into a range toy. Yea I know it's not a bad HD weapon but any weapon used for SD is difficult to get back from the state.

Basically I prefer lowers other than the "navy" style so if I get one in another style it will save some money.

Brand new POF MP5s pistols on Gunbroker right now for $1198 shipped. $1479 shipped including the folding brace. Lots of folks are happy with them. I am glad that the MKE and POF guns hit these shores, I never thought I would own an MP5/MP5K.

I went with an ambi lower since I had a hard time getting the safety off during presentation. If those extended levers were for sale and I knew about the "Navy" SEF, I would have probably run down that path and saved money.

The $400 pack from HKParts has worked fine and looks great, its just has a much heavier trigger than the stock Zenith SEF. I recently installed the flat faced trigger and it is starting to break in a little and feel better. Not a bad upgrade for $38.

SteyrAUG
02-22-18, 17:03
Certainly.

Depends what state. Cleveland Murdock fatally shot Patrick Lavoie from inside his vehicle. Patrick Lavoie had never even physically touched Murdock and was completely unarmed. Murdock was not arrested or charged and nobody ever took possession of his defensive weapon.

As for me, "kind of weapon" is my last consideration when it comes to personal / home defense and the thought that it might be kept in evidence or used to paint me as somebody more dangerous than the typical gun owner.

My HD weapons have been factory "select fire" HK G3 (until I got some real world experience firing .308 indoors), factory "select fire" HK MP5 with Raptor II suppressor (which is still in my home defense rotation) and a Colt 6945 w/ HALO suppressor.

Ed L.
02-24-18, 03:37

Because an is seen AK is a Soviet designed gun made with rugged conditions designed for simplicity and use by a draftee army of peasants in mind, while the HK is seen as a western gun with versions of which having served in elite units--so more is expected of it.

The controls may not be as super ergonomic as an AR, but having recently put a fair amount of use through an HK94 it is completely usable. I did have some trepidations about the ergonomics of the safety before firing it, but after using it for a bit I concluded it was perfectly usable.

SteyrAUG
02-24-18, 15:44
Because an is seen AK is a Soviet designed gun made with rugged conditions designed for simplicity and use by a draftee army of peasants in mind, while the HK is seen as a western gun with versions of which having served in elite units--so more is expected of it.

The controls may not be as super ergonomic as an AR, but having recently put a fair amount of use through an HK94 it is completely usable. I did have some trepidations about the ergonomics of the safety before firing it, but after using it for a bit I concluded it was perfectly usable.

Honestly, the CETME/G3 was also a reaction to WWII lesson and based somewhat on the Stg44/45 idea but patterned directly after the Gerat Stg45(M) and meant to be a mass produced, rugged, user simple and almost "no frills" design. The true western "refined" long arm was the FN FAL.

While the AKM became stamped steel and plywood, the G3 really was stamped steel and polymer (not counting early wood stocks). In many ways it was the German AK of rifles.

eodinert
02-28-18, 19:53
Nobody buys a roller lock gun for the awesome ergos.

I have all three types of lowers, but ended up with mostly 'contoured' housings, as they represent the era that is iconic for HKs to me. The best housing available wouldn't make it have good ergos, so just find one that works for you and shoot the hell out of it.

SteyrAUG
02-28-18, 21:31
Nobody buys a roller lock gun for the awesome ergos.

I have all three types of lowers, but ended up with mostly 'contoured' housings, as they represent the era that is iconic for HKs to me. The best housing available wouldn't make it have good ergos, so just find one that works for you and shoot the hell out of it.

That's why I tend to prefer steel trigger groups, I grew up with the 90 series. Plus you can change from black to green.

eternal24k
03-08-18, 15:13
FBI lower for me, but the contoured steel certainly have an appeal