PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Powder Measure Opinions

TxRaptor
02-20-18, 00:47
Do any of you that reload, utilize an electronic powder measure? If yes, what are you using?

I am currently researching the Hornady Lock and Load Electronic Measure and the RCBS Chargemaster Lite. Both seem to be on par with each other with minor differences between them. I'm liking the price point on the Hornady over the RCBS as the extra features (like saved load data on the RCBS) don't interest me enough to justify the increased cost.

IraqVet1982
02-20-18, 05:29
I run a Hornady for my low production (100rds or less) loads. I don't see the need to save load data. It generally works well, every now and then it throws too much/little powder and gets finicky. However, it's good 95% of the time.

czgunner
02-20-18, 08:12
I have the chargemaster, and it’s never given me any problems. It’s always very accurate when checked against my beam scale.

Kenneth
02-20-18, 08:12
The chargemaster is pretty dang good.

I make 6.5 ammo on it that I shoot out to 1200 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpete
02-20-18, 12:00
I haven't seen one yet that is faster AND more accurate than throwing charges by hand with a powdermeasure then trickling up to the charge weight myself.

user
02-20-18, 12:12
Chargemaster is faster Accurate enough for practical precision rifle use....

TxRaptor
02-20-18, 12:34
I haven't seen one yet that is faster AND more accurate than throwing charges by hand with a powdermeasure then trickling up to the charge weight myself.
I thought about purchasing a trickler. All my research yielded that most scales are just within +/- .1gr anyway regardless of using a beam scale or electronic scale (This is of course ignoring high end scientific laboratory type scales). So the accuracy claims (at least to me) are negligible.

However, these electronic scales will do the manual effort for me without having to manually trickle every charge. I am assuming it would make load development far more convenient for me since I would only have to punch in a number. At this time, I am sort of sold on going the electronic route and am looking for feedback on the RCBS and Hornady options. However, I am open to other brands and potentially better methods for throwing charges. What is really driving this for me is performing incremental charge increases when making 10 round load development ladders.

markm
02-20-18, 12:39
Chargemaster here too.

grizzman
02-20-18, 12:52
I've had the RCBS dispenser/scale combo for 15 years or more. It may not be the fastest way to do it, but it's easy and accurate.

bigedp51
02-20-18, 14:08
I have the older RCBS Chargemaster and love it, it is much faster than using a beam scale and just as accurate.

If you are shooting at a 1000 yards you may have a different opinion, but my ChargeMaster greatly reduced the time spent weighing powder charges.

IraqVet1982
02-20-18, 14:21
What is really driving this for me is performing incremental charge increases when making 10 round load development ladders.

This is exactly what I use mine for.

I size my brass in a batch, while the scale is measuring my charge, I seat my bullets. Trying to make the most of the down time while the machine is measuring.

Pappabear
02-20-18, 17:27
You don't think you really need until you have one. Game changer for us.

Kenneth
02-21-18, 11:21
The chargemaster’s are very good.

To get better your looking at a MUCH larger jump up in money. Probably $1500-$3000.

I know guys who shoot .338 LM at over 2k yards and farther. They load on a chargemaster.

You can also find them for stupid cheap sometimes. I think I paid $220 for mine maybe cheaper.

dmd08
02-21-18, 11:27
A chargemaster isn't the answer. Two Chargemasters is the answer. I know I'm really thinking about a second one so I can run them concurrently and always have a charge ready to go. I seat my bullet while the chargemaster works and I can out run it.

hotrodder636
02-21-18, 11:45
RCBS over the Hornady. From reviews and experiences I have read, the RCBS is consistently more accurate (less over charging) than the Hornady.

Another recommendation for the RCBS here.

czgunner
02-21-18, 11:57
A chargemaster isn't the answer. Two Chargemasters is the answer. I know I'm really thinking about a second one so I can run them concurrently and always have a charge ready to go. I seat my bullet while the chargemaster works and I can out run it.

Ha ha! I like your style!

markm
02-21-18, 12:38
I've modeled my loading around the chargemaster output flow. I usually chamfer brass or even hand prime .223 while I'm waiting on the chargemaster. Running to the fridge for another beer between charges helps too.

TxRaptor
02-22-18, 10:36
I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like I will be shopping around for a ChargeMaster Lite now.

Kenneth
02-22-18, 10:46

bigedp51
02-22-18, 12:27
Cheapest price is Amazon

RCBS Chargemaster Lite
Price: $249.99 | FREE One-Day Shipping
Post-purchase rebate: $10.00 Rebate forms
Price after rebate: $239.99
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chargemaster-Lite-120V-240V/dp/B01MSBJCU5

Achilles11B
02-22-18, 22:29
I have the Hornady, it does the job. It does go over from time to time but not enough to make it painful. The rest of my reloading equipment is RCBS so I have no doubt the Chargemaster is a good option as well.

masan
02-23-18, 10:52
I set a IBS Score Benchrest World Record using loads I did on my Chargemaster.

They are about the best thing going in their price range.

Go to Wendy's or McDonalds and get yourself a handful of straws, then look up how to use them to increase the accuracy and reduce overthrows.

For those interested in numbers, I threw 100 charges of VV N130 @36.0gr on the Chargemaster, weighing each one on my FX 120i scale. There were 2 overcharges (as displayed on the Chargemaster's screen), while the other 98 were all within 0.18gr of each other.

diving dave
02-24-18, 10:30
there is a video on youtube where some PRS guys do a direct comparison of about 4 different scales/powder throwers, ranging in price from almost 5K (prometheus) auto trickler, chargemaster and the unit from Hornady. The very expensive scales were more accurate, but during the actual shooting at 600 yards with a bolt gun and a gas gun, there really wasnt a huge difference. I'm still using an old school manual powder hopper and a digital scale, but the chargemaster is in my future.

sjoliat
02-27-18, 10:22
What is the typical cycle time for the chargemaster?

dmd08
02-27-18, 10:43
The settings are adjustable. In stock form I found it accurate but very slow. I sped mine up but it now over throws every so often and I have to dribble a little powder back into the hopper. It's worth the speed increase to me. If I played with the settings a little more I'm sure I could fine tune it.

markm
02-27-18, 12:55
What is the typical cycle time for the chargemaster?

Depends on the Caliber. I'd guess about 20 seconds plus or minus.... You have to wait for the final charge weight. I caught my kid grabbing the charge off the scale on the first beep. NO!... you can see when the fukker over charges too. It'll be trying to nudge a couple kernals, and then a clump will drop and mess up your charge.

masan
03-01-18, 09:35
You can definitely watch as the clump of powder builds up and is about to fall. I played around with trying to drop a few kernels back into the hopper vs dumping the entire charge, never did figure out if one was faster than the other but dumping the entire charge was less hassle.

Pappabear
03-01-18, 17:38
Mark has a trickle charge on his wrist, I shiit you not. Because he is so OCD, he does it all the time. It will drop a clump, he drops a couple F bombs then trickles a few back in, practice makes perfect.

PB

markm
03-02-18, 10:44
I played around with trying to drop a few kernels back into the hopper vs dumping the entire charge, never did figure out if one was faster than the other but dumping the entire charge was less hassle.

For .308 and 300wm, it's quickest to drop a few kernels back in the hopper. If I overshoot it, I flick the chargemaster tube with the pan on the scale until i drop enough powder to hit the charge weight.

Bimmer
03-02-18, 19:34
The chargemaster’s are very good...

You can also find them for stupid cheap sometimes. I think I paid $220 for mine maybe cheaper.

You mean the "Chargemaster Lite," right?

What's the difference between that and the regular Chargermaster (that's twice as expensive)?

dmd08
03-02-18, 20:39
You mean the "Chargemaster Lite," right?

What's the difference between that and the regular Chargermaster (that's twice as expensive)?

I don't know the difference between them but I got my Chargemaster, not lite, for under $250.

Bimmer
03-02-18, 21:44
On this page, the one on the right, correct?

http://rcbs.com/Products/Powder-Measures-and-Scales/Powder-Measures/Electronic.aspx

dmd08
03-03-18, 01:03
No.

Chargemaster combo. Not Chargemaster light.

It's currently $269 at Nachez.

ace4059
03-03-18, 06:11
I think I got my chargemaster for $225-$250. I bought it on sale and RCBS had a rebate. They usually have a rebate every year so if you can wait you will save approximately $50 via mail in rebate. I like mine, it’s seen a lot of use.

The only the one I would have went with instead was the PACT dispenser which was around $500-600 if I remember correctly. But I don’t think it’s in current production.

mgrs
03-06-18, 18:40
Definitely like the chargemaster. RCBS runs rebates frequently that you can stack with retailer discount codes and active junky. Mine was well under $200.

Using it, be consistent if you are going to use the swingout sheild or not. It can affect the reading depending on the environment.

Try the soda straw mod or the cleaner insert attachment you can buy on ebay; it helps with extruded powders and throws fewer heavy charges. 4064 you're pretty much SOL no matter what. I have to keep a thin allen wrench next to the chargemaster as 4064 will even bridge in the tube.

Try to place it on a different bench or far away from your press if you want to keep working while it is trickling. Operating a high leverage press, even if it is a 4x4 bench anchored to a slab and cinder walls, can stop the trickle process if it is close.

I have also thought about doing this. It's definitely the slow part of the process.

markm
03-07-18, 09:09
I have to keep a thin allen wrench next to the chargemaster as 4064 will even bridge in the tube.

Wow. I've never had that one happen. 4064 is definitely not meter friendly stuff.

masan
03-07-18, 09:51
I worked up some test loads for a new barrel last night, and plugged my Chargemaster into the line conditioner that I use on my FX 120i scale (I rough throw charges with the Chargemaster then trickle up on the FX 120i).

Until this point I never bothered to run the Chargemaster on the line conditioner, as I was only using it for a rough charge.

On the line conditioner, the Chargemaster was easily twice as accurate as before. This is with the same powder I usually use (N130), over countless thousands of charges, so I know what range of weights to expect from the Chargemaster. That range of charge weights was easily halved by the line conditioner.

I still got the occasional overcharge, nothing to be done about that.

I firmly believe that for 99.9% of people out there loading their own ammo for any type of precision work, the Chargemaster coupled with a line conditioner is just the ticket.

markm
03-07-18, 11:24
I firmly believe that for 99.9% of people out there loading their own ammo for any type of precision work, the Chargemaster coupled with a line conditioner is just the ticket.

That is very interesting. What model of power conditioner do you have?

masan
03-07-18, 11:44
That is very interesting. What model of power conditioner do you have?

I use a Tripp Lite LC1200, found on Amazon for sale a while back for $79, usually runs about $90ish. Bought it to protect the FX 120i, definitely won't hurt the Chargemaster.

I can post some numbers or even videos of the difference it makes if people are interested.

markm
03-07-18, 11:57
Thanks! I'm going to add that to my wish list.

markm
03-07-18, 12:03
Man. Musicians Friend has some $50 options that are well reviewed. <----- strike that... deeper search shows the $50 models are not really conditioning the power.

dmd08
03-07-18, 15:43
I can post some numbers or even videos of the difference it makes if people are interested.

I would be interested if you're so inclined.

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 16:37
I use a Lyman electronic powder measure/scale. Works well. Has a step down aperture for the trickler so if you have a powder that tends to clump up and spill out giving an overcharge you can prevent it. Only downside to this is it makes the dispensing slower.

Otherwise invaluable tool for loading extruded powders like 4350, 4831 etc, or working up small batches of ammo for testing.

I charge with a powder thrower or Dillon charge bar when running ball powders or other small grained powders that meter well.

mgrs
03-07-18, 18:04
I worked up some test loads for a new barrel last night, and plugged my Chargemaster into the line conditioner that I use on my FX 120i scale (I rough throw charges with the Chargemaster then trickle up on the FX 120i).

Until this point I never bothered to run the Chargemaster on the line conditioner, as I was only using it for a rough charge.

On the line conditioner, the Chargemaster was easily twice as accurate as before. This is with the same powder I usually use (N130), over countless thousands of charges, so I know what range of weights to expect from the Chargemaster. That range of charge weights was easily halved by the line conditioner.

I still got the occasional overcharge, nothing to be done about that.

Great post and information; thanks.

masan
03-08-18, 08:58
I would be interested if you're so inclined.

I need to load for a shoot I am going to in SC later this month, likely going to do it this weekend if I can get bullets made. Either way I will at least be able to get some hard numbers. If I can find my old camera I will make a video, I don't think that my Iphone will be able to take a long enough video.

Averageman
03-16-18, 18:23
I'm using a Charge Master Lite.
I have a RCBS electronic scale, a Hornaday beam scale and a trickled, they seem equally accurate.
The Charge Master is just fast and accurate.
Last night I was loading 100 RDS and I never had to wait for the Charge Master to finish trickling.