PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint or Eotech

nsabjg
10-17-08, 17:29
Going to get another optic. I have a Eotech 551 now. Should I get another 551 or a Aimpoint ML3? Let me know what you would get and why. This is for a new build. Thanks.

Sabre675
10-17-08, 19:13
Do a search for Aimpoint on this site and you will have your answer and logic. The overwhelming majority will be AIMPOINT.

SMGLee
10-17-08, 20:12
If you like the EOtech and its reticle, then I would recommend the 512 or the 516 for your next buy if you are considering EOTech....

There are also great Aimpoints on the market.. T1 is currently my favorite.

FJB
10-17-08, 21:24
Going to get another optic. I have a Eotech 551 now. Should I get another 551 or a Aimpoint ML3? Let me know what you would get and why. This is for a new build. Thanks.

Watch www.downrange.tv/show2 video clips Part 2 and 3 before making your decision.

S/F

MisterWilson
10-18-08, 00:35
I think that the Eotech & Aimpoint are better for different things.

If you could only have one, I would recommend the Aimpoint. I believe it to be a better defensive weapon in that you turn it on & leave it, changing batteries once every leap year.

I find the Eotech on the other hand to be an offensive style optic. Something you want to need to take a moment first to insure that it's in order, that the batteries are good and that it's actually on. In exchange for those two shortcomings, you get a marginally better reticle.

abnartyguy
10-24-08, 20:41
Gents,

I'm sure this question has already been asked, but what is the better flip magnifier, the EO tech or Aimpoint??? Last thing i understood was that the EO doesn't magnify the dot while the Aimpoint does? Thanks!

ZM:cool:

macman37
10-24-08, 20:46
Gents,

I'm sure this question has already been asked, but what is the better flip magnifier, the EO tech or Aimpoint??? Last thing i understood was that the EO doesn't magnify the dot while the Aimpoint does? Thanks!

ZM:cool:

That is correct; the EOTech reticle does not change size when you put a magnifier on it due to some arcane optical principle I do not understand, but marvel at whenever I flip my LaRue Po Boy into position. ;)

abnartyguy
10-24-08, 22:07
so does that mean the aimpoint 2-4 moa red dot gets larger?

:cool:

FJB
10-25-08, 02:10
the Red Dot of an Aimpoint or EOTech is magnified by the 3X or 4X, but as the Red Dot is magnified it the target/threat is being magnified by the same amount. Thus, Red Dot will be the same size in relation to the target/threat.

S/F

abnartyguy
10-26-08, 06:01
thanks!:cool:

crebralfix
10-26-08, 06:08
A friend of mine is a firearms instructor and does two day rifle courses.

The EOTechs go down in the courses...frequently. That's fine if you have a box full of them and an armory, but not if you're Joe Average.

abnartyguy
10-26-08, 14:39
I've heard EO horror stories before. I run both, including my very first EO that I took to the sand box with me. It's a really a personal question as to which one you like best... :cool:

I'm just trying to figure out which magnifier to get???

Parabellum9x19mm
10-26-08, 21:22
I'm just trying to figure out which magnifier to get???

LaRue Tactical Po` Boy Special

sff70
10-26-08, 21:57
Why anyone would use the N battery EOs is beyond me.

They aren't as nearly as available as AAs or CR123s, and they have too short a lifespan when powering the optic.

Ryo
10-31-08, 18:19
I don't know if you misunderstood his answer.. or maybe I misunderstood his answer.

The 1 MOA will be a smaller dot magnified than a 4 MOA magnified. Hence if you are going to magnify your EoTech or Aimpoint, then it's better to get the smaller one.

The EoTech and the Aimpoint are both fine optics. I have both (553 & T1), and like both.