PDA

View Full Version : Better shop than ADCO for upper work?

Wake27
02-21-18, 03:15
I need a pinned and welded muzzle device removed, NSR swapped to MCMR, and then a new muzzle device permanently attached. Looks like ADCO will cost about $175 for the work which seems like a fair price, but I used them once in the past and was surprised at how many tool marks were on the upper. Doesn't affect function, got it, but if an upper doesn't come like that from the factory, I don't see why they can't do it without scratching it up. Rainier is the only other shop service I've used and they did good work, but it looks like it would cost an extra $100 for their labor because that includes hand fitting and headspacing, which I think is kind of bullshit on an AR. Any recommendations? Its already boxed and ready to go, I'd like to send it off tomorrow before I sit on it any longer.

SteveL
02-21-18, 05:31
Check with Joint Force Enterprises in Jacksonville, FL. They do good work. The easiest way to get ahold of them, however, is through their FB page.

And no I don't work for them.

everready73
02-21-18, 07:16
I have used John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and was really happy with the work www.retroarmsworks.com . About 10 day turn around time and fair prices

mpom
02-21-18, 07:51
I would check w our Rob Jensen.

Stickman
02-21-18, 14:14
I need a pinned and welded muzzle device removed, NSR swapped to MCMR, and then a new muzzle device permanently attached. Looks like ADCO will cost about $175 for the work which seems like a fair price, but I used them once in the past and was surprised at how many tool marks were on the upper. Doesn't affect function, got it, but if an upper doesn't come like that from the factory, I don't see why they can't do it without scratching it up. Rainier is the only other shop service I've used and they did good work, but it looks like it would cost an extra $100 for their labor because that includes hand fitting and headspacing, which I think is kind of bullshit on an AR. Any recommendations? Its already boxed and ready to go, I'd like to send it off tomorrow before I sit on it any longer.

Call them up and talk to Mike, he is the manager. Ask him if the pricing is correct, and let him know the reason you are asking is because ADCO does the same work for $100 less, which doesn't make much sense. You aren't "handfitting" parts on this project like you do on a 1911, and headspace is already set and verified.

Mike is a good guy, give him a chance.

fledge
02-21-18, 14:19
I inquired with Rainier for just a pinned muzzle device and they charge twice ADCO. And I’m an Apex member. ADCO turnaround is fast but their work is less clean for me too.

Keep us posted if Rainier adjusts the pricing.

Stickman
02-21-18, 15:23
I inquired with Rainier for just a pinned muzzle device and they charge twice ADCO. And I’m an Apex member. ADCO turnaround is fast but their work is less clean for me too.

Keep us posted if Rainier adjusts the pricing.

I would invite you to do the same thing. Call and talk to Mike.

It isn't exactly a secret that I'm friends with the owner of Rainier Arms, they can't fix what they don't know is a problem. While it is possible that they are more busy than they can handle, and the price will remain, it is equally possible they will evaluate where they stand and make adjustments.

fledge
02-21-18, 15:32
I’ll do that, Stick. I like Rainier. I just figured they didn’t want a lot of smith work.

Diamondback
02-21-18, 16:14
I would invite you to do the same thing. Call and talk to Mike.

It isn't exactly a secret that I'm friends with the owner of Rainier Arms, they can't fix what they don't know is a problem. While it is possible that they are more busy than they can handle, and the price will remain, it is equally possible they will evaluate where they stand and make adjustments.

Stick, mind if I cite you as a referral for estimate on a project too? (This is laughably small, just chop bayo lug, touch up FSB bluing and torque barrel nut--things that most could do at home, but I don't have anywhere to bolt down a vise and I'm klutz enough with an Xacto knife, no sane person wants me trying to use a hacksaw. The rest of the upper I can do myself; if I have a shop do all the assembly for me, then for all the good it does I might as well have bought another prebuilt as it teaches me nothing new for smithing/armorer/build skills.)

Yeah, yeah, I know, "AWB dead, you can have lugs again"--problem is, the front end of the lug is occupying a space under the barrel that my blast deflector needs, and since you're not Fixing Bayonets on a 10.3"...

adh
02-21-18, 16:15
I most recently used http://ar15barrels.com/services.shtml
no joke....best pin/weld I've ever seen/had done
lead time was acceptable but not fast (3-4 weeks IIRC)
$100 round trip for both barrels I thought was VERY reasonable.....IMO stellar price for the quality of the work

vicious_cb
02-21-18, 18:30
ADCO is like the butcher shop for ARs, only use them if you need something done fast.

$100 round trip for both barrels I thought was VERY reasonable.....IMO stellar price for the quality of the work

Indeed, Ive used Randall for years for pin and weld, barrel chops and recrowns.

Kinda Bewzy
02-21-18, 20:54

Another +1 for Randall. Great work at a fair price, it certainly doesn't hurt that I'm close enough to stop by and get work done while I watch either.

Wake27
02-21-18, 21:54
3-4 weeks is a long time to be without my upper though. JFE and Retro Arms both got back to me very quickly. I’ll give Rainier a call tomorrow and then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defaultmp3
02-21-18, 22:16
I use Dave Laubert over at http://www.defensivecreations.com. Not sure what the turnaround time is at this juncture, but the price he charged me for swapping handguards on a pinned upper receiver was pretty decent.

sidewaysil80
02-21-18, 22:51
I tried ADCO and won’t use again. They forgot to perform one of the services I paid for and sent the barrel back without actually performing the work. The rectified the situation flawlessly and covered return shipping. Shit happens. The gas port however was supposed to be .070 but its on the low side of .072. Again shit happens and probably doesn’t matter, but now I doubt their shops organization and precision and won’t use again.

I use Robb Jensen @Virginia Arms Co. for armorer level work and send stuff to Marvin Pitts @Nefarious Arms for actual machine work.

vicious_cb
02-21-18, 23:27
3-4 weeks is a long time to be without my upper though. JFE and Retro Arms both got back to me very quickly. I’ll give Rainier a call tomorrow and then go from there.

Thats why you always have back up guns/uppers/lights ect.

Wake27
02-22-18, 00:55
Thats why you always have back up guns/uppers/lights ect.

It’s not my only one here, but a lot of my stuff is still in storage on the mainland so I don’t have all of the spares and other options on hand.

I’ll give the others a look as well. I’ve heard about Marvin’s barrel dimpling and I’ve actually used Robb before when I was in NoVA but he rarely seems to be on here anymore. Thanks guys.

jsbhike
02-22-18, 07:26
Have you looked for a good welder locally?

Wake27
02-22-18, 09:07
Have you looked for a good welder locally?

I’m in Hawaii. Shipping sucks so that’d be. I’ve but there isn’t much.

jsbhike
02-22-18, 09:15
I’m in Hawaii. Shipping sucks so that’d be. I’ve but there isn’t much.

I haven't been there so don't know the machine shop/auto body work scene. If it is like here there is usually someone or several someone's also in to shooting at some of them and a good welder is a good welder.

Of course there is often someone else that thinks a dovetail sight cut or weld on a flash suppressor is 1:1 with building and detonating an atomic device :rolleyes:

AAMP84
02-22-18, 11:00
You could try West Coast Armory. Weapon Outfitters speaks highly of them and they have really clean pin and welds.
http://www.westcoastarmory.com/gun-smithing/page/97

Wake27
02-24-18, 18:31
I have used John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and was really happy with the work www.retroarmsworks.com . About 10 day turn around time and fair prices

I ended up going with John. He was super fast to respond to both emails and it was all very straight forward. He also quoted me the best price which was helpful because of shipping costs from Hawaii. I also found a thread from LAV on here recommending him. I don’t agree with LAV’s stance on some things but I’m pretty confident in taking his recommendations. I’ll post again when I get it back. Thanks for all the responses, every shop mentioned here was cheaper than ADCO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

everready73
02-24-18, 19:49
I ended up going with John. He was super fast to respond to both emails and it was all very straight forward. He also quoted me the best price which was helpful because of shipping costs from Hawaii. I also found a thread from LAV on here recommending him. I don’t agree with LAV’s stance on some things but I’m pretty confident in taking his recommendations. I’ll post again when I get it back. Thanks for all the responses, every shop mentioned here was cheaper than ADCO.

Glad he is getting you fixed up. Sure you will be happy.

Wake27
02-28-18, 11:19
I'm very impressed so far. It arrived at Retro Arms Works on Monday afternoon and I just got an email that it is already on its way back to me, should be here on Saturday. I dropped it off this past Saturday. That's an awesome turn around time.

kirkland
02-28-18, 11:42
You could try West Coast Armory. Weapon Outfitters speaks highly of them and they have really clean pin and welds.
http://www.westcoastarmory.com/gun-smithing/page/97

Thanks for suggesting that. I've got a 14.5 upper that needs a pin and weld job. I was planning on shipping it out, but WCA is close and I never realised they did that kind of work.

Socom Elite
03-01-18, 02:31
What happened to ADCO? They used to get high praise.

usmcvet
03-03-18, 22:52

He’s also a member here on m4c.

Wake27
03-04-18, 02:30
Got the upper back today. Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to shoot it until the end of the month so I can’t give a final thumbs up yet, but it looks and feels good. As long as there aren’t any issues with the gas system when I shoot it, John at Retro Arms Works will probably any future business I have for similar work.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/215e50d8de27a402a83c9df351e47331.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/00da9ed19c873dd5d7546c510d819ebf.jpg

pinzgauer
03-04-18, 08:08
Got the upper back today. Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to shoot it until the end of the month so I can’t give a final thumbs up yet, but it looks and feels good. As long as there aren’t any issues with the gas system when I shoot it, John at Retro Arms Works will probably any future business I have for similar work.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/215e50d8de27a402a83c9df351e47331.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/00da9ed19c873dd5d7546c510d819ebf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAny idea what they charge for a basic pin and weld?

Overall, I had no serious problem with the pin & weld job that Adco did for me, was reasonable cost and fast.

The issue was a couple of weeks after I got it back I found rust spots on the barrel where it look like some kind of corrosive liquid was dropped on it. I'm guessing sweat. Ate through the phosphate.

Not a big deal, as it's under the handguard. But it's also something that should be avoidable. Just can't imagine how it occurred.

The learning for me was whenever you send something out, better wipe it down or really good as you don't know what it's been exposed to.

fledge
03-04-18, 08:55
Retro is $50 for pinning plus $15 for shipping/ins CONUS.

usmcvet
03-04-18, 09:16

That's a good price. How much to cut? I have two I'd like to shorten and perm.

Wake27
03-04-18, 13:15
That's a good price. How much to cut? I have two I'd like to shorten and perm.

He doesn’t list his prices but I bet if you email him, he’ll get back to you today.

nimdabew
03-04-18, 13:47
What happened to ADCO? They used to get high praise.

I have no idea. All the work I have sent their way has been excellent.

masakari
03-04-18, 13:49
I tried ADCO and won’t use again. They forgot to perform one of the services I paid for and sent the barrel back without actually performing the work. The rectified the situation flawlessly and covered return shipping. Shit happens. The gas port however was supposed to be .070 but its on the low side of .072. Again shit happens and probably doesn’t matter, but now I doubt their shops organization and precision and won’t use again.

I use Robb Jensen @Virginia Arms Co. for armorer level work and send stuff to Marvin Pitts @Nefarious Arms for actual machine work.

I had a similar circumstance with ADCO, in which they failed to open up my gas port as I paid for. No sense in sending anything to them for work when they don't actually do it. And I'm even local (ish) to them! Oh well.

Wake27
03-04-18, 16:14
As I said in the OP, they did fine work for me the one time I used them, but the parts were kind of scratched up and I think that could’ve been prevented.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/7e9fc93af72b4ceb05afa28f8722d087.jpg

usmcvet
03-04-18, 18:20
He doesn’t list his prices but I bet if you email him, he’ll get back to you today.

Thanks.

mgrs
03-06-18, 18:49

If this is flat across all or most muzzle devices, it's a very good price.

I was very pleased with boltcarrier.com's work to P/W two surefire muzzle devices, but he is out of business. ADCO charges significantly more for surefire devices IIRC.

sidewaysil80
03-06-18, 19:38
I was planning on sending Nefarious Arms a barrel but he hasn’t responded. I figured in light of this thread and in playing devils advocate I’d ask ADCO for more info on gas port services and MAYBE give them another shot. I asked if they ream their gas ports to desired size and if they use pin gauges to ensure right size...

Response:
“just use a drill. size is approximate.”

Yeah, no thanks. That explained why my gas port was not correctly sized the first time. I’ve reached out to REAL gunsmiths/machinists from the precision rifle world and am waiting on responses. Will update with pricing/info.

Wake27
03-06-18, 22:03
If this is flat across all or most muzzle devices, it's a very good price.

I was very pleased with boltcarrier.com's work to P/W two surefire muzzle devices, but he is out of business. ADCO charges significantly more for surefire devices IIRC.

I was planning on sending Nefarious Arms a barrel but he hasn’t responded. I figured in light of this thread and in playing devils advocate I’d ask ADCO for more info on gas port services and MAYBE give them another shot. I asked if they ream their gas ports to desired size and if they use pin gauges to ensure right size...

Response:
“just use a drill. size is approximate.”

Yeah, no thanks. That explained why my gas port was not correctly sized the first time. I’ve reached out to REAL gunsmiths/machinists from the precision rifle world and am waiting on responses. Will update with pricing/info.

Wow. I don't know what you're looking for specifically, but might as well reach out to John. I'm still impressed with his turn around time.

AAMP84
03-09-18, 21:49
I was planning on sending Nefarious Arms a barrel but he hasn’t responded.

They can be slow with replies sometimes. Marvin does excellent work but he has a day job and only does the gunsmithing on the weekend. So if you need work done fast I would look somewhere else.

Here is a pin and weld I just got back from Rainier Arms.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4787/40676552892_4b38411be3_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24YrY2s)

rpoL98
03-11-18, 04:13
I send my barrels to AR15barrels.com, outstanding work, although he does get flamed on the forums for some historical drama past. Just be advised, his backlog is 12+ weeks, so you need to consider that at the outset. Over the past couple years, I've sent about a half dozen barrels to him for chopping, threading, crown, pin & weld, etc. very pleased with his work, and I'm obviously a repeat customer already.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-11-18, 04:14
FWIW, I had ADCO recently chop a barrel for me and thread it. No tool marks, everything was great upon return.

Wake27
04-02-18, 00:31
Final update - haven’t been able to shoot it much but enough to verify that it’s functioning properly. Retro Arms is good to go based on this experience.