PDA

View Full Version : Dang It...Why Do Uppers Grow into Complete Rifles ??? !!!!

Doc Safari
02-21-18, 17:42
Gents, I have to report that I'm the latest to contract the disease of wanting to allow a complete upper to grow into a complete rifle.

I have a new take-off standard M4 BCM upper that just got put aside because I bought a more "tacticool" BCM upper from my girlfriend and it's ended up being the one on my HDR.

Sooooooo.....now this "like new" upper that was test fired once and has been sitting in a custom-made case I bought for it has been calling me, "Doc...Doc....I NEED a lower....Doc...."

I'm considering turning it into a complete rifle with all the talk of new gun controls and stuff. Not that I expect AR's to be banned or restricted, but if I had a nearly new rifle ready to sell or as a spare the next time there's a "panic", well, there I said it.

(I have other AR's, but I tend to keep my Colts in mint condition for SHTF and resale value).

So should I succumb to the disease or just keep that as a practically new spare upper and just stick it away in the closet?

Clint
02-21-18, 18:47
Resistance...is futile.

HMM
02-21-18, 19:13
I'm having the same problem. I just ordered a rail and gas block from SLR to complete my latest project. And I'm already eyeing building a 300BO, like I need another one... I don't have a 300BO and never thought I needed one but alas here I am shopping for parts already.

LMT/556
02-21-18, 19:24
I've discovered each upper is much happier on its' own lower...

militarymoron
02-21-18, 19:29
I've had a muzzle brake grow into a complete upper.

Cokie
02-21-18, 19:50
Someone here or TOS said a spare bolt catch grew into a complete rifle. BRD lol, its not a disease. It's an addiction.

Eurodriver
02-21-18, 19:50
Because you spend more time on the internet than you do on the Range.

CPM
02-21-18, 20:13

Have you compared post counts?

The_War_Wagon
02-21-18, 21:07
I've had a muzzle brake grow into a complete upper.

I got a really Nice Noveske rail, @ a GREAT price I couldn't pass up, many years ago.

It turned into a rifle. :p

medicman816
02-21-18, 21:35
As cheap as lowers are right now it just makes sense... at least thats what i tell myself.

Hammer_Man
02-21-18, 22:48
As cheap as lowers are right now it just makes sense... at least thats what i tell myself.

Pretty much this^^^ Parts are so cheap right now you might as well do it.

Eurodriver
02-22-18, 07:30

Yes. That’s how I know the answer. I am speaking from experience.

Would you prefer I be like everyone else on this forum and just talk about shit I read somewhere else?

CPM
02-22-18, 08:41
Yes. That’s how I know the answer. I am speaking from experience.

Would you prefer I be like everyone else on this forum and just talk about shit I read somewhere else?

I was unaware there was any other point to this forum.

young_gun
02-22-18, 08:57
I got a really Nice Noveske rail, @ a GREAT price I couldn't pass up, many years ago.

It turned into a rifle. :p

I once had a BCM charging handle sprout an upper AND a lower. This disease is a wonderful thing

Doc Safari
02-22-18, 09:06

Guilty as charged. When there's nothing to do at the ranch I rationalize that keystrokes are cheaper than bullets.

I have an excuse right now: we're entering the windy season so I may not see a range until May or June.

Doc Safari
02-22-18, 09:12

I knew when I started this thread that it was "light-hearted fluff", i.e., a thread to have fun with and not take too seriously.

For those that don't like this type of thread, all I can do is reiterate the classic caveat "You don't have to click on it."

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

My dealer is ordering a BCM lower with their Gunfighter buttstock Model 0.

Eurodriver
02-22-18, 09:13

Don’t be daft. There are significant differences in the following M4C-representative conversations.

Derper 1: “Hey, I read on x forum that this optic is good. Thoughts?”
Derper 2: “Yeah, I read on Instagram that it’s a good optic.”
Derper 3: “That’s expensive though. I got a Burris CrossTek for $96 on sale at my local gun shop. It’s just as good as...”

User 1: “I was shooting a match/event and noticed my <25y times were on point but I struggled when distances got beyond 300 because my red dot does not have a way to accurately account for drop that far out.”
User 2: “I had that same issue. I switched to the Nightforce 1-4x and it allowed me to have holdovers and get rounds on target quickly both up close and farther out.”
User 3: “Great info guys. Thanks.”

M4C used to be the latter. Now it’s the former. Sad.

HeruMew
02-22-18, 10:55
Don’t be daft. There are significant differences in the following M4C-representative conversations.

Derper 1: “Hey, I read on x forum that this optic is good. Thoughts?”
Derper 2: “Yeah, I read on Instagram that it’s a good optic.”
Derper 3: “That’s expensive though. I got a Burris CrossTek for $96 on sale at my local gun shop. It’s just as good as...”

User 1: “I was shooting a match/event and noticed my <25y times were on point but I struggled when distances got beyond 300 because my red dot does not have a way to accurately account for drop that far out.”
User 2: “I had that same issue. I switched to the Nightforce 1-4x and it allowed me to have holdovers and get rounds on target quickly both up close and farther out.”
User 3: “Great info guys. Thanks.”

M4C used to be the latter. Now it’s the former. Sad.

Not that I am not guilty of your rhetoric, I am.

But there are many of us, like myself, who spend time posting and perusing while still providing some sort of assistance based on the experience we have.

I won't argue that we've been finding it harder and harder to have discussion in that manner as the communities grow. We will always have the cheap-skates, the high spenders, and those that fall in the middle. In all of those groups, they get divided into: Shoots some, shoots a metric shit ton, or doesn't shoot shit at all.

I am happy to be on a property that allows me out to 50 yards with a rifle and handgun. I can step out on my porch and target practice. I aim for 200 rounds of .223/5.56 and 200 rounds of 9mm weekly.

In the long run, it's not horribly expensive weekly, and it grants me the comfort of knowing I am up on the shooting I am capable of doing while allotting time for improvement. We already know only 3% or less of all gun owners take any type of classes beyond basic gun safety and CCW courses, so most do not take the time to familiarize ourselves to the extent of 10,000+ rounds a year. That is why many people rely on the rhetoric. Remember, some of the rhetoric here has originated from very experienced people, such as yourself.

You know your shit, truly. I know I have said it before, and I will say it again, I would give up a lot to have the setups you do. To have the capacity, lands, time, and monies to be involved in the hobby you are, as you are. I am envious, but also proud that people do go through these efforts and invest so much of their being. A lot of respect.

I just don't know what's up with all the frustration lately, brother?

We know Derps will be here, and I know you take the community seriously, to the extent of asking for a ban to grant a forced hiatus for personal mental health and to get shite done. I know this community has failed to uphold the standards it once had that you, and many others, remember. But, most of the users here are still learning. Including myself. A little grace goes a long way.

Nonetheless man, stepping off my proverbial box here, I truly hope all is well in your world; I've garnered a lot of respect for a lot of folks on here due to their knowledge, but I also know we have no insight (beyond what is shared) into the real worlds of our members.

Adrenaline_6
02-22-18, 11:00
I have a dedicated CMMG 22LR upper that I got tired of switching to my DDM4V5 lower when I wanted to have cheap fun. Got tired of switching it out because it took time (not significant - just lazy) to put in the Redi-Mag mag adapter that lets you use the M&P 15-22 mags which are better and allows the BHO feature and then have to take it back out when switching back. Bought a pistol lower with the Shockwave brace for it so I can just leave the adapter in and will allow me to put in a 4.5" barrel in it in the future with a can with no stamp. Win - win.

I also had a range malf on my SD-E trigger that I think was due to the dirty 22 ammo. The trigger would not completely reset after firing. It would hang on an unseen ledge where the trigger catch and the hammer make contact when it resets. So you could pull the trigger and nothing happened but if you bump the lower with your hand it would fall into position and fully reset. Really weird. I took it apart and cleaned and greased the required points and it works like a charm again. I'ts still in the back of my mind though wondering if the trigger has a small machining defect that will come back to haunt me.

HeruMew
02-22-18, 11:03
EDIT: Double Post; How the heck did it double tap that far apart? Same post and quote too..

Beebs08
02-22-18, 11:08
I bought 2 BCM stripped uppers about a year ago... They are slowly growing up. 1 is my "M4C Equipment Exchange Special", and 1 is a 300BLK 16". Soon they'll need their own lowers. It's a disease for sure, but I don't even want to cure it.

LoboTBL
02-22-18, 12:45
Thank goodness magazines don't metastisize into complete rifles....

exiledtoIA
02-22-18, 14:30
Thank goodness magazines don't metastisize into complete rifles..... Actually, I have a 20 round Colt magazine that did just that. Got it when I got my backup 6920, it came with a standard 30 round and a nicely polished 20. Apparently it was for display. I just tossed it in the mag box and forgot about it. My lady found it and well somehow it and some other parts became HER rifle.

Cokie
02-22-18, 15:11
I got 3 of those colt uppers that were camo dipped. They are slowly becoming projects and likely full rifles XD

Eurodriver
02-23-18, 06:24
I just don't know what's up with all the frustration lately, brother?

We know Derps will be here, and I know you take the community seriously, to the extent of asking for a ban to grant a forced hiatus for personal mental health and to get shite done. I know this community has failed to uphold the standards it once had that you, and many others, remember. But, most of the users here are still learning. Including myself. A little grace goes a long way.

The frustration is a result of seeing what really drives the vast majority of gun ownership "the cool factor". These people buy guns to look cool, don't store them properly, and then they get stolen by youths and used to kill police officers, kids, wives, even neighborhood dogs which leads to cries of "We gotta do something about gun violence!" when that guy should probably have never owned a firearm in the first place or could have just stopped building more and more and more and just shot the one he had to become a proficient rifleman and spent the rest of the money on a damn safe.

I just recently got an instagram, and the more I look at "gun stuff" outside of M4C the more I become in favor of a "round-them-all-up" firearm confiscation. M4C is our escape from that BS. When I come here throwing my AR underneath a 4Runner and dragging it through the mud and then some asshole starts talking about Cobalt Kinetics asking how to keep brass marks off his shell deflector I do get frustrated.

Finally, that ban request was actually a result of General Discussion, where apparently only white Christian males can do good and there is an underlying tolerance of racism, colonialism, Nazism, and other tomfoolery that I refuse to be associated with.

"It makes you wonder if, in fact, being a Nazi was such a bad thing"
-Benito

"Africa and the Americas never even made it to the bronze age before white people settled. If white people never settled, they would still be in the stone age."
-Scottryan
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?203399-Trump-s-quot-poop-hole-country-quot-comments/page4

MisterHelix
02-23-18, 06:50
The frustration is a result of seeing what really drives the vast majority of gun ownership "the cool factor". These people buy guns to look cool,

I jus that BS. When I come here throwing my AR underneath a 4Runner and dragging it through the mud and then some asshole starts talking about Cobalt Kinetics asking how to keep brass marks off his shell deflector I do get frustrated...

I hear what you're saying, but perhaps there is a bit of confirmation bias (or something) going on.

Perhaps it's not "the vast majority of gun sales" but "the vast majority of forum/Instagram posts", since there's likely a lot of folks out there putting in their range time and dry fire drawing against their shot timer that don't bother posting.

With 15 million modern rifles out there, and a few hundred "what muzzle device looks cool" threads, it stands to reason that most people shoot more than they post, despite the visible derping.

All I'm saying is that much like your sig line "why do the loudest do the least", the loudness is not necessarily representative of what most, or many users actually do.

HeruMew
02-23-18, 07:16
The frustration is a result of seeing what really drives the vast majority of gun ownership "the cool factor". These people buy guns to look cool, don't store them properly, and then they get stolen by youths and used to kill police officers, kids, wives, even neighborhood dogs which leads to cries of "We gotta do something about gun violence!" when that guy should probably have never owned a firearm in the first place or could have just stopped building more and more and more and just shot the one he had to become a proficient rifleman and spent the rest of the money on a damn safe.

I just recently got an instagram, and the more I look at "gun stuff" outside of M4C the more I become in favor of a "round-them-all-up" firearm confiscation. M4C is our escape from that BS. When I come here throwing my AR underneath a 4Runner and dragging it through the mud and then some asshole starts talking about Cobalt Kinetics asking how to keep brass marks off his shell deflector I do get frustrated.

Finally, that ban request was actually a result of General Discussion, where apparently only white Christian males can do good and there is an underlying tolerance of racism, colonialism, Nazism, and other tomfoolery that I refuse to be associated with.

-Benito

"Africa and the Americas never even made it to the bronze age before white people settled. If white people never settled, they would still be in the stone age."
-Scottryan
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?203399-Trump-s-quot-poop-hole-country-quot-comments/page4

Fair dos, sir. We're all welcome to our frustrations.

I hadn't realized that was the context in which that was requested. Thanks for clarifying as it's eye opening in that regard.

Nonetheless, I hope you know my post was genuine concern/discussion. I didn't mean to push for you to justify those situations in which constituted that hiatus.

Doc Safari
02-23-18, 09:07

-Benito

-Scottryan

That's what this is about? Just like with a job you've learned to hate, maybe you should take a break? Sounds like burnout that can only be solved by putting it down for a while. If I felt the way you do about a car, a job, a girlfriend, or an internet board I'd probably want to disassociate myself from that pronto.

26 Inf
02-23-18, 10:24

-Benito

-Scottryan

M/Euro: We've been on the outs for a while because I felt you had stopped acting like the smartest guy in Florida and I probably stopped acting like the smartest guy in Kansas. ;)

The fact is that people frequent this site, and own firearms for various reasons. I've gotten several threads closed for deriding those reasons, and I'm trying to move on from that.

People ain't going to fit into the box we want them to. For example, I like to shoot, I like training folks to shoot, I like the process. I have no problem separating force simulation training from shooting. I don't imagine that targets are bad guys when I'm shooting, they are targets.

At work I always tried to wear/use comparable gear to the folks I was working with, I would have felt like a Walter Mitty mofo getting all rigged up with plate carrier and war belt to go shoot on the range after hours. I'm not saying that is absolutely right, just right for me.

Other feel differently, I think for many trainers the whole plate carrier/chest rig thing is a schtick, but, once again, that is just me.

I'm shooting you a pm with my email and phone, reach out if you want.

misfit47
02-23-18, 10:28
You made a good decision with the lower you ordered. I don't like switching uppers around. I assemble or buy the upper how I want it. Then I assemble or buy a lower which works best for that upper.

triggerjerk
02-23-18, 11:44
Just today, my BCM upper grew its own BCM mod 0 lower! So happy! I was also getting tired of swapping lowers....

misfit47
02-23-18, 12:27
Dang man you could have bought 10 Anderson lowers for the price of the BCM.
Tactipoopleshooter.com says they are just as milspec and then some.....
Just placed the order from SOLGW for a well optioned lower amd bcg for the upper I picked up from the ee.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Cokie
02-23-18, 13:24
Thinking about Euro’s comments, I wonder if we need a non-gear/marksmanship only section on the forum. We can separate the gear questions from the ‘how do I actually shoot this thing’ questions.

Doc Safari
02-23-18, 13:26
Thinking about Euro’s comments, I wonder if we need a non-gear/marksmanship only section on the forum. We can separate the gear questions from the ‘how do I actually shoot this thing’ questions.

I think people just need to lighten up. "If you don't want to read it, don't click on it."

Cokie
02-23-18, 13:38
I am betting Euro more or less has his gear all figured out for what he needs. But this is really the only active section of the forum except for GD. Guys like Euro have a lot to offer but gear threads aren’t really a great place to post. A section where the like-minds can come after they are geared up could help with the burnout of talking about fancy new bolt carriers or bad levers or whatever the flavor of the month is.

26 Inf
02-23-18, 16:13
Cokie - I hear what you are saying, the logical place for what you are talking about would seem to be the Training and Tactics section of the Training sub-forum.

At times that baby will go weeks without an entry, IMO it is underutilized.

triggerjerk
02-23-18, 16:21
Hey, misfit! First ar was an Anderson! Oops, did I just admit that?

Can I say I "built" both rifles since I bought lowers and uppers and snapped them together?

officerX
02-23-18, 16:37
Gents, I have to report that I'm the latest to contract the disease of wanting to allow a complete upper to grow into a complete rifle.

I have a new take-off standard M4 BCM upper that just got put aside because I bought a more "tacticool" BCM upper from my girlfriend and it's ended up being the one on my HDR.

Sooooooo.....now this "like new" upper that was test fired once and has been sitting in a custom-made case I bought for it has been calling me, "Doc...Doc....I NEED a lower....Doc...."

I'm considering turning it into a complete rifle with all the talk of new gun controls and stuff. Not that I expect AR's to be banned or restricted, but if I had a nearly new rifle ready to sell or as a spare the next time there's a "panic", well, there I said it.

(I have other AR's, but I tend to keep my Colts in mint condition for SHTF and resale value).

So should I succumb to the disease or just keep that as a practically new spare upper and just stick it away in the closet?
Huh?! Am I the only one that noticed this? Maybe she needs to join here too!

misfit47
02-23-18, 16:46
Huh?! Am I the only one that noticed this? Maybe she needs to join here too!Good catch!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
02-24-18, 22:06

BAhahahahahahah! FTW!!!!!

MSW
02-25-18, 18:00
I’ve had charging handles grow into complete ARs....

Upper, heck, it’s almost there....

SiGfever
02-25-18, 19:24
Contemplating another build with my KAC lower, need more safe room though.

FollowThru
03-17-18, 09:20
Taking a peek at https://www.m4carbine.net has caused new rifles and parts to show up to no end... :D :D

LMT/556
03-17-18, 10:04
This time it was sights, LMT front and rear are growing into a rifle length MRP. God save us all...

556BlackRifle
03-17-18, 11:25
It's happened to me. Accidently ordered three charging handles when I only needed two. Soon thereafter, a new rifle appeared.....I'm suffering from BR Syndrome. ;)

m24shooter
03-18-18, 13:08
I think I started asking that about 6 parts builds ago.

Sqr
03-18-18, 21:47
As cheap as lowers are right now it just makes sense... at least thats what i tell myself.well that is what I thought until you purchase a trigger you Godda have, buttstock you Godda have, safety, trigger guard, take down pins, buffet kit you Godda have....etc, etc, etc........it's nuts.

titsonritz
03-18-18, 22:47
I have a set of KAC sights begging me to build them a rifle to hang on. How can I resist?

dpb1776
03-19-18, 21:25
I have been buying BCM blemished uppers and bolt carrier groups. That and getting into reloading I can see them growing into a .224 Valkarie and an SBR of course both will need there own lowers and I will justify it to myself

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dpb1776
03-19-18, 21:28
Dang man you could have bought 10 Anderson lowers for the price of the BCM.
Tactipoopleshooter.com says they are just as milspec and then some.....
Just placed the order from SOLGW for a well optioned lower amd bcg for the upper I picked up from the ee.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TapatalkYou will like the SOLGW's upper and lower. I used them on a precision build. Fantastic quality

misfit47
03-19-18, 21:34
You will like the SOLGW's upper and lower. I used them on a precision build. Fantastic quality

Sent from my XT1650 using TapatalkI'm hoping so. I'm about 30 days in waiting for the lower and bolt. Gonna run it with other parts until they show up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dpb1776
03-19-18, 21:51
I bought a cerakoated set in Magpul flat dark earth. Should have just gotten black but it seemed like a good idea. It did take a bit to receive them, which sucks when you want it now to cuddle and hug. Also recommend there lower parts kits. I bout a few there top quality

misfit47
03-19-18, 21:53
Mine is angry patriot with a5, fighting trigger, B5 furniture in fde.no cerakote. Its getting a couple krylon stripes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dpb1776
03-19-18, 21:56
Mine is angry patriot with a5, fighting trigger, B5 furniture in fde.no cerakote. Its getting a couple krylon stripes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkThat should be a sweet set-up.

FollowThru
03-20-18, 08:38
I went to the LGS just last month to get an AR-15 magazine. By the time I left that mag turned into a complete build with all the trimmings! But that's not all 2 cases of ammo also came home with that single magazine purchase. After getting home I now had a ODD number of mags so back to the LGS for 1 more mag to even things up and a beautiful Browning o/u blue and wood shotgun come home too! :D