PDA

View Full Version : Centurion CMR or BCM KMR-A?

ABNAK
02-23-18, 13:58
Of course either can be had in M-Lok also, but I'm talking about the handguards themselves. Which would you choose for a build? Which has a sturdier mounting system? Which is sturdier overall?

I have a couple KMR-A's and like them, but don't have any experience with the Centurion CMR.

One thing I do like about the KMR is you can just about completely cover the surface with snap-in rail panels so there is no skin-to-metal contact. My brother has a Colt Trooper and by looking at it I don't think it is possible to cover the entire surface, i.e. there would be gaps.

officerX
02-23-18, 14:04
KMR is my favorite!

grizzman
02-23-18, 14:09
I have a Trooper and a few KMRs. I don't expect either one to be more robust than the other.

I really like the additional KeyMod surfaces of the KMR.

I put Centurion's rail covers on the Trooper, and it gives full coverage, with cut-outs for the ventilation holes.....a really nice, though larger diameter, design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABNAK
02-23-18, 14:15
I have a Trooper and a few KMRs. I don't expect either one to be more robust than the other.

I really like the additional KeyMod surfaces of the KMR.

I put Centurion's rail covers on the Trooper, and it gives full coverage, with cut-outs for the ventilation holes.....a really nice, though larger diameter, design.

I'll have to take a look at their website.

grizzman
02-23-18, 14:17
Stickman posted a photo, but it's buried in the Colt thread. If their site doesn't include an off angle photo, I can take one.

ABNAK
02-23-18, 14:24
Stickman posted a photo, but it's buried in the Colt thread. If their site doesn't include an off angle photo, I can take one.

Yeah, just got done looking at Centurion's website. I think I like the way BCM's panels lay much more flat, and with a negligible increase in diameter. Smoother too, not "pebbly". My brother bought the Gen2 Magpul covers for his Trooper and said it does fill the hand out a good deal more.

The KMR-A (or M-Lok version) is about $45 cheaper too.

grizzman
02-23-18, 14:26
I haven't heated up the Trooper much yet, but I'm sure the thicker Centurion panels are more effective.

I use BCM's KMR covers, and like them a lot.

ABNAK
02-23-18, 14:30
I haven't heated up the Trooper much yet, but I'm sure the thicker Centurion panels are more effective.

I use BCM's KMR covers, and like them a lot.

I saw a video a while back (Mr. Guns-and-Gear perhaps?) where he tested the temp of the BCM covers after a couple of mag dumps. It was a negligible increase in degrees, so I gather they work pretty well.

Stickman
02-23-18, 20:32
I saw a video a while back (Mr. Guns-and-Gear perhaps?) where he tested the temp of the BCM covers after a couple of mag dumps. It was a negligible increase in degrees, so I gather they work pretty well.

Without saying what the temp of the rail was, that info doesn't seem helpful. A quick few mags dumped shouldn't heat up much, but 5 or 10 minutes later the heat should have sunk in nicely and then things start to matter.

Just another way to look at things. I have both rails and enjoy each. When it comes to what cover does best for knocking around and heat protection or grip, it is very difficult to beat the CA covers. Yes, they are thicker, and I can see where that would matter to some people, especially those with tiny hands.

Tx_Aggie
02-23-18, 20:57
Stick, between the two rails which would you say would stand up better to hard use and/or abuse?

straitR
02-23-18, 22:28
Without saying what the temp of the rail was, that info doesn't seem helpful. A quick few mags dumped shouldn't heat up much, but 5 or 10 minutes later the heat should have sunk in nicely and then things start to matter.

Just another way to look at things. I have both rails and enjoy each. When it comes to what cover does best for knocking around and heat protection or grip, it is very difficult to beat the CA covers. Yes, they are thicker, and I can see where that would matter to some people, especially those with tiny hands.

Agreed. That said, the CMR has a smaller OD width than the KMR. Adding the CA panels to their CMR isn't that bad, even for small hands, IMO. Although the CA panel design is excellent, if I were trying to keep the smallest OD possible or had smaller hands, I wouldn't add the CA panels to anything but a CMR.

If memory serves me, I liken the CMR with their panels (at 3-6-9) to roughly the feeling of a bare URX4 as far as thickness. Feel is subjective though.

Stickman
02-24-18, 01:22
Agreed. That said, the CMR has a smaller OD width than the KMR. Adding the CA panels to their CMR isn't that bad, even for small hands, IMO. Although the CA panel design is excellent, if I were trying to keep the smallest OD possible or had smaller hands, I wouldn't add the CA panels to anything but a CMR.

If memory serves me, I liken the CMR with their panels (at 3-6-9) to roughly the feeling of a bare URX4 as far as thickness. Feel is subjective though.

Agreed on all accounts.

ABNAK
02-24-18, 08:10

LOL I see what you did there! No, not the issue with me. I like to use a modified "C" grip with my forward hand so a smaller profile enhances that.

jwfuhrman
02-24-18, 20:03
Owning both, my vote is the KMR-A. The CMR I have on my 6.8 is so tight inside its touching the gas block. I've tried taking it off and then on again, tried the barrel/rail combo on 4 different uppers (including 2 BCM demo uppers) thinking the Anderson Mfg upper I built the 6.8 on was out of spec but it doesn't matter.

Other than that, the CMR is a damn good rail, just not sure what the issue is. Swapped it for a KMR-A in 13(same length as CMR) and the barrel centers perfectly and the gas block on rail issue was solved (BCM LP Gas Block, Daniel Defense 16in 6.8 S2W barrel).

Jwknutson17
02-24-18, 20:21
Owning both, my vote is the KMR-A. The CMR I have on my 6.8 is so tight inside its touching the gas block. I've tried taking it off and then on again, tried the barrel/rail combo on 4 different uppers (including 2 BCM demo uppers) thinking the Anderson Mfg upper I built the 6.8 on was out of spec but it doesn't matter.

Other than that, the CMR is a damn good rail, just not sure what the issue is. Swapped it for a KMR-A in 13(same length as CMR) and the barrel centers perfectly and the gas block on rail issue was solved (BCM LP Gas Block, Daniel Defense 16in 6.8 S2W barrel).

Have you tried the Centurion gas block? From the centurion site, it states...

***IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE***
- Currently our gas block is the only one that Centurion Arms can guarantee to fit under the CMR. This is due to the CMR's extreme low profile.

Vegasshooter
02-25-18, 07:36
When I went with the Centurion rail on my BCM Stainless barrel, I had to use the Centurion gas block. The BCM block would touch as well. $35 later, viola, no touching. The Centurion gas block is that much more compact that it completely clears 360*. Just as a FYI.

jwfuhrman
02-25-18, 08:14
Have you tried the Centurion gas block? From the centurion site, it states...

***IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE***
- Currently our gas block is the only one that Centurion Arms can guarantee to fit under the CMR. This is due to the CMR's extreme low profile.

Good to know!

ziklag
02-25-18, 08:50

Guess the measurement isn't much help without KMR-A numbers to compare... maybe someone else can give those.

The Centurion covers mitigate heat much better than the Magpul covers I used before they arrived. Never used the BCM so can't comment on those.

sig1473
02-25-18, 10:49
I will echo JW's experience. I was building up a BA 14.5" and tried to use a Geissele GB with the CMR 13" MLok. The gas block touched the rail. I've since moved on with the project and put on a different rail. I just now need another barrel maybe and get a Centurion GB for another build with the CMR.

bowman57_2
02-25-18, 11:16
I’ve got a BA gas block under my CMR and it’s pretty tight on the bottom but still doesn’t touch the rail anywhere.