PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 muzzle device on 5.56 barrel?

LDB
02-24-18, 12:28
What would happen if a 7.62 MD was put on a 5.56 barrel? And before you get started yes, I've been a member a long time but only really got started learning about AR's in the last few weeks. It's obvious what would happen the other way around but I have no clue this way and would like to know.

CPM
02-24-18, 12:38
What would happen if a 7.62 MD was put on a 5.56 barrel? And before you get started yes, I've been a member a long time but only really got started learning about AR's in the last few weeks. It's obvious what would happen the other way around but I have no clue this way and would like to know.

I'm almost certain that the thread pitch of a 30 caliber barrel is always different that that of the standard 1/2x28 or whatever and would prevent the mounting of a 30 cal device. That being said, I use an Omega with a 30 caliber end cap on all of my guns and pay a 1-2 db penalty with no discernible difference on any other level.

GH41
02-24-18, 12:58

The most common 30 caliber muzzle devices are threaded 5/8-24. The most common 22 caliber devices are threaded 1/2-28. With one of these> https://precisionarmament.com/product/m4-muzzle-thread-adapter/ you could attach a 30 caliber MD to the smaller 22 cal threads. What would happen... The 30 cal MD probably wouldn't be as efficient due to the larger than needed bore diameter.

Stickman
02-24-18, 15:04

I've done it. While it might not be perfect, it works. Use the thread adapters commonly found on ebay or Amazon.

LDB
02-24-18, 18:40
Thanks guys. I have no plans to do it but something I saw made me wonder about it. I knew it wouldn't be anything like trying to fit a .30 bullet through a .22 opening but wondered what it might do. Thanks again.

GrumpyM4
02-24-18, 19:04
I've done it several times. Run AAC .30 cal blackouts on 5.56 guns with a thread adapter.

Matter of fact i'm currently using a 5/8x24 direct thread mount with 1/2x28 adapter on a gemtech blackside to suppress my SBR Uzi.

Greatest versatility with least expenditure of funds. Now I can run the Blackside on my G21SF with the standard piston setup, or on a 300blk, on the uzi, Cx4 SBR, or even Beretta M9 with the direct thread mount and 1/2x28 adapter if I so choose.

Since they're all play toys and not "working guns", I don't care that the suppressors (G9, multimount, blackside) all bounce around from gun to gun depending on how I feel on any given day.

fledge
02-24-18, 23:25
Some 223/556 barrels only come with 5/8-24 threeds. ARP and Wilson barrels come to mind. So yeah, that’s what you do.

Rascally
02-25-18, 08:33
Some 223/556 barrels only come with 5/8-24 threeds. ARP and Wilson barrels come to mind. So yeah, that’s what you do.

These same barrel manufacturers also make 223/5.56 bore muzzle devices with 5/8-24 threads to fit their barrels. With flash hiders I don't see how it matters anyway, but brakes and suppressors should be the proper bore size to work their best.

Amicus
02-25-18, 08:53
As fledge pointed out, some barrel makers advocate this. The text below is from a Wilson Combat barrel description (I have never tried one of these and have no personal experience):

NOTE: This barrel is machined with 5/8”-24 threads at the muzzle-this allows for a thicker bore diameter than standard ½”-28 threads. This will ensure that your suppressor has perfect bore alignment and will enhance permanent muzzle device pinning/welding. We have found no performance differences between using a .30 cal muzzle brake/flash hider with 5/8-24 threads on a 5.56 barrel and that is what we suggest.

czgunner
02-25-18, 09:51
I think that YHM now bores all (30 cal and smaller) of their rifle mounts to .30 cal regardless of thread pitch.

Maize
02-25-18, 09:55
Didn't knights armament just come out with something like this?

blade_68
02-25-18, 19:57
One other advantage to using 5/8 muzzle device thread on 5.56 less chance of someone trying to crank on to stupid foot lbs and jacking up the muzzle/ rifling.... Something I was informed of by few that make or work on barrels.