PDA

View Full Version : Light .223 loads?

Bimmer
02-25-18, 19:50
Backstory:

My 12-year-old daughter likes scoped bolt guns, so she's been shooting our Ruger American Rimfires in .22 and .17HMR.

The next obvious step would be a bolt-action .223, and I really like Ruger's American Ranch Rifle that accepts AR mags. (Yes, that's a real thing.)

So, I'm thinking of how to reload the lightest possible .223 loads, using TrailBoss and light bullets (36-40gr.) The goal is to reduce .223 down to .22ish recoil/energy, and then ratchet it up to regular .223 levels.
(FWIW, I'm working on the same thing with .38 Special in a LCRx, and the guys over at CastBoolits are very helpful.)

NB: She's 98lbs, and she's recoil/blast sensitive. (She's literally "a little girl.") I'm a doting father, and I'm happy to enable her to do whatever kind of shooting she likes. Don't tell me to have her toughen up and shoot full-house 5.56 loads.

Subsonic isn't necessary, though that would be nice (most subsonic loads I've found are for heavy bullets, for suppressor use). Terminal performance is a non-issue: She punches paper, and that's it.

I've seen the Hodgdon data that lists a maximum load of 4.0gr of TrailBoss under a 55gr bullet for about 1,000fps (subsonic). I'm thinking of 3.0gr of TrailBoss under a 40gr. bullet might net me about the same velocity and 1/3 less energy/recoil.

I'm asking here since you guys are the .223 gurus... Anybody done anything like this?

AndyLate
02-26-18, 05:28
Deleted due to low knowledge base.

georgeib
02-26-18, 06:44
Have you considered loading a few 55s with 4gr of Trailboss and shooting the first couple in front of her to ease her apprehension? That sounds like it may be a mild enough load for her to not be intimidated by it.

Bimmer
02-26-18, 13:37
Have you considered loading a few 55s with 4gr of Trailboss and shooting the first couple in front of her to ease her apprehension?

Yeah, that might work, but I can buy a box of 100 bullets for <$20, and going from 55gr down to 40gr would be a >25% reduction in energy/recoil.

It won't "kick" by the standards of this forum, but the Ruger American Ranch is pretty light, and I'll put a linear comp on it, so less energy, the better...

Bimmer
02-26-18, 13:42
If you Google Hornet loads in 223, there is a lot of information out there for reduced loads...

Right on! I would never thought to look for that, but you're right...

308sako
02-28-18, 01:24
I hope you understand that these light (TrailBoss) loads will not likely cycle the rifle. That doesn't mean they will not be accurate of course.

Tx_Aggie
02-28-18, 07:09
I hope you understand that these light (TrailBoss) loads will not likely cycle the rifle. That doesn't mean they will not be accurate of course.

The rifle he's talking about using (Ruger American Ranch) is a bolt action, so that's a non-issue.

308sako
02-28-18, 08:29
The rifle he's talking about using (Ruger American Ranch) is a bolt action, so that's a non-issue.

Oops...

Bimmer
02-28-18, 09:17

LOL, I haven't found ANY rounds that will cycle my bolt guns...

CHX77
02-28-18, 19:05
Bimmer: I wish I could share some experience with Trail Boss in .223, but I haven't tried it yet. I have shot quite a few 160gr cast bullets in 30-30 using 8.0gr of Trail Boss and it's much like shooting 22 long rifle ammo. I feel no recoil at all, but then I'm just north of 200 lbs. I think your daughter will enjoy the load you have planned.

Bimmer
02-28-18, 21:09
Well, I'm at least 9-12 months away from doing this... I want to wait to make sure Ruger has worked the bugs out of the new American Ranch, and my firearms budget for this year is already spent.

In the meantime, though, I'll buy some 35gr flatpoint bullets and get some more TrailBoss.

Coal Dragger
02-28-18, 22:33
Maybe don’t worry about downloading the .223, and save some more $$$ for a basic suppressor for the rifle?

If she’s blast, noise, and recoil sensitive a suppressor will take care of all 3 pretty well, and if you buy one a bit larger than .223 will serve her well on a variety of host rifles in the future.

Bimmer
02-28-18, 23:29
I'm in California... A big linear compensator is the best I can do, legally.

Coal Dragger
02-28-18, 23:59
Bummer man.

Bimmer
03-01-18, 11:21
Maybe don’t worry about downloading the .223, and save some more $$$ for a basic suppressor for the rifle?

Bummer man.

I'm praying for a federal hearing protection act... It would be nice if those fools in Washington could make this part of a larger gun control deal.