PDA

View Full Version : Check and doublecheck

triggerjerk
02-26-18, 06:52
Then finish your drink and check again! This post is for those who niavely exceed the speed limit with their eyes closed....

Have had a Wilson barreled BCM upper I've been swapping on a lower. Just received complete mod 0 lower. Upon snapping these together (350 rounds previously thru upper) I noticed feed ramps not quite lined up. Initial install had seemed uneventful...

So I secured upper in a vise block and removed fore end and loosened barrel nut, clamped on my custom wood block barrel vise, and a couple of light taps later everything lined up. Bullet still scratches, but nicks on cases gone. Now, where to polish or hone?

Anyway, if yer new to the game and everything went together too easy, you might have screwed up. Did for me...

GH41
02-26-18, 13:21
What happened to the barrel extension pin? You know... The one that prevents the extension from spinning in the receiver.

Stickman
02-26-18, 13:55
This post is bad.

Talking about finishing your drink? Poor form and best left to another website that enjoys internet cute posts. This isn't the correct place. Politically, it clearly isn't the right time.

OP- Your attempts at being cute or funny don't work. This forum is a place for professionals, or at least for people to act professional.

Stickman
02-26-18, 13:58
What happened to the barrel extension pin? You know... The one that prevents the extension from spinning in the receiver.

Who cares, this thread needs to be killed. I'm not even sure it is worthy of the General Discussion forum, but I know it is too horrid to live in this section.

triggerjerk
02-26-18, 16:03
Apologies. Guess my attempts at humor are a knee jerk reaction to some of the bickering observed here. I take my shooting activities VERY seriously, but I do try to maintain a sense of humor about myself.

On the indexing pin: my thoughts exactly....

GH41
02-26-18, 16:51
Apologies. Guess my attempts at humor are a knee jerk reaction to some of the bickering observed here. I take my shooting activities VERY seriously, but I do try to maintain a sense of humor about myself.

On the indexing pin: my thoughts exactly....

What happened to the pin? Obviously it didn't do its job. Or..... you turned the barrel in the extension. Either way you probably forked up trying to fix a problem that didn't exist anywhere other than in your mind. Have another drink and try to forget about it.

triggerjerk
02-26-18, 19:50
Please, bear with me as I attempt to describe:

With press fit between barrel and upper, there was no way to tell if there was any slack in fit between pin and slot. I doubt there was much, if any. At initial install, barrel seated 1st try, no drama. Recently, I noticed the edge of ramp on extension was just visible past edge of ramp on upper. I was getting a nick on case necks, so I endeavored to correct alignment. Unless I tighten the fool out of the c clamp on my home made barrel clamp, it typically slips with 15-20ftlbs of torque when installing fh. When "adjusting" ramp alignment, I did not tighten the fool out of the clamp because I wanted it to slip in hopes of not damaging things. Note barrel did slip in the clamp with each TAP (with the equivalent of a tack hammer). Tap, inspect. After maybe 3 tap/inspects, the edge of the extension was just flush with the edge of the ramp on the upper. I quit and re-assembled.

I have since shot said rifle. Same accuracy, but no neck marks on brass. Rifle cycled perfectly as before. I have now measured headspace on same lot brass, 20 fired before "adjustment", and 20 fired after adjustment. Measurements were in same range.

Yes, I still wonder if there was some slop between pin and slot (or even "What happened to the pin?" as above). I wonder whether I unknowingly altered pin or slot at initial install or if I have now altered pin or slot or if I have now altered barrel/extension relationship. Note I was not drinking ANYTHING before or during initial install nor before or during adjustment.

I would now humbly seek input on chances of having created a dangerous condition or information as to what I should be looking for should a dangerous situation be developing. I already surmise that KABOOM would be an obvious sign. Do things seem serious enough to warrant immediate stoppage of shooting rifle and sending barrel off for inspection by someone qualified?

Yes, I will eventually "have another drink", but I doubt I will forget what has transpired with this rifle or that my usual obnoxiousness is not appreciated by this forum.

Feel free to kill this thread or ban me from the forum.

Regardless, I apologize for my sloppy attempt to get some of the newer shooters to be careful, and I will state my appreciation to members for what I have learned from the forum.

MegademiC
02-26-18, 20:48
If the feed ramps dont line up, it would seem something is out of spec, or off enough to investigate imo.

This is a home build?
Did you properly torque the barrel?

Hart
02-26-18, 21:05
One for the Gun Smithing Hall of Shame.

officerX
02-26-18, 21:44
Have you removed the barrel nut to be sure the pin is still there?

triggerjerk
02-27-18, 04:41
40 ftlb on barrel nut. Pin was observed during "adjustment".

Will take down to inspect and measure pin and slot.

Still wondering how to tell if barrel/extension union was compromised.

Thanks

Iraqgunz
02-27-18, 15:15
Try coherent English and some pictures.

triggerjerk
02-28-18, 19:01
Nevermind.

Again, I apologize for the way I approached this forum.

I continue to respect those with the knowledge and appreciate that they share it here.

Best to all.

I mean that.

I will now crawl back under my rock.

grizzman
02-28-18, 19:20
Feel free to post photos of the feed ramps.

My policy is to insert the barrel, tighten the nut, and maybe look to see if the ramps line up.

I consider dings in the necks/shoulders as par for the semi-auto course, and don't think anything more of it.

I'd be very surprised if the receiver extension to barrel interface were compromised.