PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tube lock nut..?

Mojo58
10-27-06, 02:33
While cleaning my AR tonight, I noticed the circular nut on the buffer tube of my collapsible RRA 6 position stock to be loose. I'm not sure if I'm referring to the correct part (if someone has a pic, I'd appreciate you posting it for me...please and thank you). Anyways, my question is "Do I need a special tool to tighten this (I noticed square cut outs around it so I imagine this is for a unique tool) and if so how tight should it be?" For the meantime I tightened it as hand-tight as I could get it.

Robb Jensen
10-27-06, 04:11
Carbine stock nut torque value is 40 (+/- 2) inch lbs and stake at least two spots of the receiver end plate into the divots of the stock nut.

Rifle receiver extension torque value is 35-39 foot lbs.

Mojo58
10-27-06, 11:56
Thanks gotm4, is there a special tool to do this?

Robb Jensen
10-27-06, 15:12
Thanks gotm4, is there a special tool to do this?

I use one of these from Tonys Custom Uppers out of Ohio. You can't put a torque wrench on so I just get it tight my hand and then stake well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/M4stockwrench.jpg

Mojo58
10-27-06, 15:20
Thanks for your help gotm4! I'm off to pick up a spanner for it!

Bushytale
10-28-06, 00:03
Mojo58, The spanner made by Smith Enterprises works great. It is a traditional configuration with a long handle for leverage. I don't have a pic, sorry.

Good luck, Billy

Mojo58
10-28-06, 00:31
I picked up a spanner at my local shop and tightened the lock nut. I did find it a pain to tighten it because I don't have any vises or "action blocks" to secure the tube while I tighten the nut. What I did was stand the rifle on it's stock, held the tube with my left hand while tightening with my right hand. You guys got any tips?

deadwood83
10-28-06, 18:39
I remove the stock, sit in a chair and place the lower firmly between my knees/upper calves with the end of the tube facing at a 45* angle from the tops of my thighs. Then I grasp the hand-size portion of the receiver still visible with my left hand and tighten with my right.

An even easier way is to place the lower in the freezer for an hour or so then tighten halfway seriously. When it warms up the metal will expand and create a very secure fit. I did this on my Bushy and the nut was so snug (I only have one lower and play around with stocks so I don't stake end plates) that I had to re-freeze it just to switch stocks. Be sure not to tighten it tooo much when its cold because the poundage increases about 15% when it warms up.

ArchAngel
10-29-06, 00:42
What is the best way to "un-stake" a staked receiver end plate for changing a stock out on a new/used purchase?

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
10-29-06, 04:56
What is the best way to "un-stake" a staked receiver end plate for changing a stock out on a new/used purchase?

Thanks.

I use the above wrench I posted a pic of and remove the stock body, then install the receiver extension in a padded vice and hit the wrench with a hammer. It works everytime without damage to anything.

ArchAngel
10-29-06, 13:27
Thanks gotm4.

ArchAngel
10-29-06, 19:16
Does anyone have a source for the military-style M4 stock wrench?

I found a contact number for TCU and will try it tomorrow.

AR15barrels
10-30-06, 01:16
And stake well...

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg

HAMMERDROP
10-31-06, 21:51
do you stake it down with a centerpunch ?