PDA

View Full Version : New SBR Rail

drtywk
03-02-18, 10:27
I am putting together a new 11.5" SBR with a Sionics 11.5" Reduced Gas Port barrel and am trying to decide on a which Quad rail to use, a 10" BCM QRF or a 10" Centurion C4. I have the C4 already, but also like the QRF. Any advantages or disadvantages to either one?

MistWolf
03-02-18, 10:57
What are you going to put on your SBR that requires the use of a quad rail?

Don't Tread On Me
03-02-18, 11:08
Maybe he just likes quad rails? In that same vain, he already has the C4 on hand so seems simple to just go with that, right?

bruin
03-02-18, 12:02
The QRF mounting system is more rigid (longer barrel nut and tight clearances), arguably more secure (anti-rotation and crossbolts), and the barrel nut does not need timing, so you can keep the torque under 40 ft-lbs for best accuracy potential. That said, the mounting system benefits are less important with a shorter rail.

Personally, I'd use the C4 if I already had one. Buying new, QRF.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

dontshakepandas
03-02-18, 16:38
The QRF mounting system is more rigid (longer barrel nut and tight clearances), arguably more secure (anti-rotation and crossbolts), and the barrel nut does not need timing, so you can keep the torque under 40 ft-lbs for best accuracy potential. That said, the mounting system benefits are less important with a shorter rail.

Personally, I'd use the C4 if I already had one. Buying new, QRF.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

This.

drtywk
03-02-18, 17:48
What are you going to put on your SBR that requires the use of a quad rail?

I am feeling nostalgic. But in all seriousness, I don't have any quad railed guns in my stable and I have a rail that isn't being used. I am leaning toward using it, but wanted to see what other people are using or suggesting, plus I don't have a standard barrel nut in my parts bin that I can use with the C4.

trauma
03-02-18, 17:49
I would use a used URX 2 from KAC that I got really cheap, already has a front sight as well.

slowrx
03-03-18, 00:21
I voted other. I have a few 11.5 uppers and my favorite rail on them is my KAC urx 3.1.

MistWolf
03-03-18, 01:36
I am feeling nostalgic. But in all seriousness, I don't have any quad railed guns in my stable and I have a rail that isn't being used. I am leaning toward using it, but wanted to see what other people are using or suggesting, plus I don't have a standard barrel nut in my parts bin that I can use with the C4.

Just wondering. Maybe I try to keep things too simple. My favorite handguard for an 11.5" upper is the MagPul Slimline. Simple, cheap, rugged, light and does a good job protecting my hands from barrel & gas block heat. It also mounts a light at the 12 o'clock spot.

RobertTheTexan
03-05-18, 12:10
I am putting together a new 11.5" SBR with a Sionics 11.5" Reduced Gas Port barrel and am trying to decide on a which Quad rail to use, a 10" BCM QRF or a 10" Centurion C4. I have the C4 already, but also like the QRF. Any advantages or disadvantages to either one?

You have a C4. Why even look at any other brand (except LaRue)? Kill that specific curiosity because you have is one of the top 3 rails in the industry - LaRue and KAC URX 3.1 being the other two.

MountainRaven
03-05-18, 12:54
You have a C4. Why even look at any other brand (except LaRue)? Kill that specific curiosity because you have is one of the top 3 rails in the industry - LaRue and KAC URX 3.1 being the other two.

So where does Geissele fall in your learnéd opinion?

cop1211
03-06-18, 05:14
Other= SLR ultra lightweight.

Cokie
03-06-18, 13:18
Larue? It’s getting pretty old. Isn’t it based off the KAC free float rail?

I do, however, love my 3.1. Quad rails id take a RIS 2 even if it meant selling off some DD parts. G rails are damn near unbeatable though.

docsherm
03-06-18, 14:53
Other = LaRue

1BallJ
03-06-18, 16:33
I'm in the exact same boat. I want a Geissele but they don't make what I want. So I've narrowed it to an SLR or the Hodge defense 10.75.

RobertTheTexan
03-06-18, 20:42
So where does Geissele fall in your learnéd opinion?

It’s more of an unlearned non-opinion. I’ve never owned a Geissele rail before. I’ve never even had one in hand. My circle is pretty small and most of us have LaRue rails on our SBR’s. I have had a C4 though and loved it - excellent lockup and sturdy. I guess I just don’t associate Geissele and quad rails, and when I think of SBR’s I think quad rails.
That said Monty & Corrie are going to send me a CMR for my CA 12.5, but that’s abnormal for me, but want to give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
03-06-18, 21:57
Larue? It’s getting pretty old. Isn’t it based off the KAC free float rail?

I do, however, love my 3.1. Quad rails id take a RIS 2 even if it meant selling off some DD parts. G rails are damn near unbeatable though.

The A-10 is old and there was uproar when AF/DoD attempted to retire it. Why? Because it did what it was designed to do with perfection.

LaRue hasn’t changed their rail because there isn’t anything wrong with it. The first time you mount that rail and you see with your own eyes just how solid the lock up is not to mention how durable it is. There is not a problem to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer_Man
03-07-18, 00:00
I picked other. Personally I would choose the KAC URX 3.1