PDA

View Full Version : any subaru owners

Honu
03-05-18, 02:03
anyone have one and thoughts ?

mainly looking at the Forester then outback or maybe the 2018 crosstrek since its based on the new global platform and or might wait till the forester (2019 model) gets that global platform soon ?
doing a ton of research so pretty good on pros cons of each model :)
forester really fits the needs best big enough for a dog cage in back and good viz
outback might be to station wagon low feeling for me that extra couple inch head height in the forester but sounds like the do ride nicer etc..
the crosstrek a fun rig but might be to small to do family day when we all go out

4 of us kids 9 and 13 and two 30 lb dogs will be in it at various times

pros cons would you buy another etc..

thanks in adv :)

BoringGuy45
03-05-18, 02:31
I have a 2015 Forester that I absolutely love. The car handles like a sports sedan but in a big enough package for the family. It's got a lot of get up and go as well. The Crosstrek is great too; my parents have one and really like it. But I think the larger trunk space of the Forester makes it better for carrying your dogs around. It's really hard to go wrong with just about any Subarus. My family has been driving them for the past 20 years.

rockapede
03-05-18, 03:15
We have a '17 Forester. We're in it a lot (bought it new in May and it's got 20k on the odometer) and have had no issues thus far. I think it's great, though I would not go smaller. My one complaint is the front seats feel shallow from front to back and don't support my legs as much as other car seats seem to. I've gotten used to it though. The Crosstrek looks like fun but the lack of rear cargo space would get old in a hurry.

MegademiC
03-05-18, 05:41
I know a few people with them and they love them. Good traction in snow/off road and the cars seem to last forever. I think they retain value better than any other make as well.

themonk
03-05-18, 07:48
We have had a Subaru in one form or another since 2001. The 2.5 boxer engine is beyond amazing at pickup and reliability. Could not recommend Subaru enough. The all wheel drive system is the only one I trust that is not 4x4. I have had many cars that can't get up our driveway with snow in the winter. The Subaru has never failed. Great vehicle in the snow. I have had no issue traversing Montana and Wyoming in blizzards in an outback. I get a lot of crap for having an outback but generally from people that have never drove them or are clueless about the clarence (9") or the all wheel drive system.

Only downside is since it is full time all wheel drive you need to stay on top of tire rotation. Also if you lose a tire after about 50% wear you need to buy 4 new ones.

We drove the crosstrek as my wife thought it may be a fun around town car. It is absolutely a dog. Not even worth your time to drive it.

Lefty223
03-05-18, 08:23
On our 3rd Suburu, always got at least 12 years out of the before we traded them in or sold them. All were/are solid, reliable vehicles - and their All Wheel Drive (AWD) system is bullet-proof! Most service or repair was replacement items like tires, wipers & NEVER replaced an exhaust part!

Had 2 Outbacks, one began consuming O2 sensors at the end of the lifetime it had w/ us, but we figured a way around it (false engine code) from the online Suburu forums.

Now onto a ‘13 Legacy sport model AWD ... at 0% interest (that’s FREE money folks!). Every bit as good as good as my former BMW at $15K LESS and it only needs 87 octane. Amazing vehicle! But also not a Forrester or hatchback model ...

Averageman
03-05-18, 08:58
A close friend drove a Suburu daily on a 70 mile round trip back and forth to work for almost fifteen years.
This guy is an absolute zero maintenance driver, if that little hatchback got an oil change, it was lucky it got an oil change twice a year with the cheapest oil possible.
That little hatchback ended up going off to College with his kid.
Honestly, from my observations, you cannot kill the damned things.

Vandal
03-05-18, 09:17
Honu, I sold Subarus for 7 years and have friends and family driving them around the Northwest with my old business cards still in the manuals. From what you described you're a prime Forester/ Outback customer. The Outback is a little longer in wheelbase and overall length, but the Forester would provide the better room for your family and dogs. Personally, I do think the ride in the Outback is better, especially on longer trips. Drive them both, back to back. If the dogs are in crates when you travel with them, bring the crates to the test drive!
The Outback is also built in Indiana.

The new Subaru Ascent is coming out this Summer on the global platform, if you need more room than a Forester or Outback offers. It also comes with Eyesight standard. I would have no issue buying a first year Subaru product either.

militarymoron
03-05-18, 10:22
We currently have two Subarus - our family car is a 2013 3.6L Outback and I have a 2013 BRZ as my daily driver. We went with the Outback instead of the Forester because I wanted the longer trunk (it's deeper). We've gone camping in the desert in it, and some off-roading, and it's been great for an all-round family vehicle. My wife will never go back to a sedan again, after owning the Outback.
It's also been great when we've bought stuff from Home Depot or Ikea - it's amazing what will fit in the Outback with the rear seats folded down. I like Crosstrek styling but that trunk is just too small. Plus no turbo version like the Forester.

I'm sure you've visited this website, but it has by far the best info out there on Subarus:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2018.html
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2018.html

kerplode
03-05-18, 12:35
Subarus are great vehicles! We have an 06 outback and my MIL just got an '18 Forester. Our outback is pretty utilitarian, but the new Forester is very nice. The outback is great in the snow and actually does pretty well at light off-road stuff (fireroad sort of deal)

We have a neighbor who has been in two really bad accidents while driving Subarus. Both times her cars were completely totaled but she walked away unhurt. They've since converted to 100% subaru and state flatly that they will never buy a different brand.

Personally, I'd get another Subaru without a moments hesitation.

bnanaphone
03-05-18, 13:34
I have a 2009 Forester XT I bought new and now have 124,000 miles on it. I replaced the turbo last year and a radiator the year before. Besides those items, I have only had regular maintenance and oil changes. The available trunk space with rear seats folded is incredible (for a vehicle of this size). It has been great in all weather handles snow very well, not that you get much in HI.

I am taller, 6'2", and the Forester has enough space for me. I test drove an Outback and didn't like how steeply raked the windshield sits. I felt like I had to slouch for a good view since the roof line was barely above where I see out the wind shield. That is my only complaint on the Outback.

A friend took me on a ride in his 2016 XT with CVT and it feels much more powerful (225hp vs 255hp). The CVT helps eliminate turbo lag below 3500rpm. They really improved the interior amenities and dash/stereo nicely too.

usmcvet
03-05-18, 14:11
I have a 2014 outback with just over 90,000 miles. No major repairs. A strut was fixed under warranty. It does burn oil a little. I had a 2018 loaner and couldn’t believe how much more room there was inside.

There are a handful of things that irritate me about the car. I swear at it regularly. The 2014 blue tooth connectivity sucks. The 2018’s was solid. I park in my garage and learned quickly I can’t leave the keys in the ignition. Even when turned off the headlights stay on. If you leave an interior light on it will kill your battery too.

My last three vehicles were Silverados. Chevy had those things figured out as early as 2005. Not sure why Subaru can’t too. When the ignition goes off the radio does too. I Miss that few extra minutes of tunes or news I could get with my Chevy. Again Chevy had that figured out more than ten years ago. I love the gas mileage compared to my Silverado. I’ll probably be getting another Outback. I will try the Forester again I think the Outback was a better ride. The Forester sits higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CLHC
03-05-18, 14:25
Second go 'round Subaru owner here. First was a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited. My take on that is/was still love that car despite 3 Turbochargers blowing up on me and co$ting+$'$$$+! Moved on to my second 2008 Subaru; the Tribeca 5-Passenger Limited.

Both could have better gas mileage, but they've never leaked oil! All around incredible daily driveing vehicles here in the PNW.

Yes, I would buy another Subaru!

Big A
03-05-18, 14:25
When the ignition goes off the radio does too. I Miss that few extra minutes of tunes or news I could get with my Chevy. Again Chevy had that figured out more than ten years ago.

Next time you park and turn the car off try pressing your radio's power button. My VW shuts off when you turn the car off but if I press the power button it will come back on. However it doesn't shut off after I open the door. It will run for about 15 minutes(never timed it to see exactly) then cut off, whether you're in the car or not.

usmcvet
03-05-18, 15:09
Next time you park and turn the car off try pressing your radio's power button. My VW shuts off when you turn the car off but if I press the power button it will come back on. However it doesn't shut off after I open the door. It will run for about 15 minutes(never timed it to see exactly) then cut off, whether you're in the car or not.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu
03-05-18, 16:04
thanks all great info kinda what I thought on some :)

my current rig is a 2015 4runner trail :) it replaced a really well built FJC and even had a killer trailer from South Africa called a conqueror conquest but my camping here has mellowed from hard core off road to more fire road access and the hard core stuff we did wife was not keen on and so it only cuts out a few spots not a big deal
my goal is to start saving money simplify and build a MB sprinter 4x4 dedicated camp rig in the near future :)

so gravel roads and really its like we drive from PHX to say payson then down 10 miles of dirt road the 4runner is even overkill and the 12k we put on a year around town is what we do the majority of so subaru seems to fit perfect
also we home school and work from home so no commuting :)

the cars 101 been on that so much and the forester forum :) love the actual dimensions on that site etc..

I keep hearing the crosstrek is fun but power does get old like a scooter vs a motorcycle :) the fun factor gets tiring just love the looks but maybe if I was single or no kids :)

being a photographer I pack a pelican 1620 1650 and 1510 and 2 stand bags all the time :)

hoping to get down and drive em this week or so

price wise I want to keep under 27k if I can not over 30 again money to other things so the new one will be out of budget or I would keep the 4runner :) but that ascent looks awesome

I know the new forester will be announced soon so might wait for that even though I am itching to get one

usmcvet
03-05-18, 17:04
Another thing that took getting used to was the lack of power. It’s fast enough but It doesn’t have what it takes to safely pass in many rural situations. It’s fine in the highway but not so goo in a two lane road. I love the paddle shifters on mine and find myself looking for them when I drive other cars.

Honu
03-05-18, 18:25
Another thing that took getting used to was the lack of power. It’s fast enough but It doesn’t have what it takes to safely pass in many rural situations. It’s fine in the highway but not so goo in a two lane road. I love the paddle shifters on mine and find myself looking for them when I drive other cars.

that is your 2014 outback that has that lack of power :)

test driving is fun but often I know in the past once you own for a few months is when you realize OH this bugs me hahahahaha

the paddle shifters is interesting on the forums quite a few say they are a must if you drive on long grades which is a big part of my driving going up from Phoenix to north and being around 5000 feet a lot also heard the turbos do much better of course :) but paddles shifters are a huge must have on the grades :)

I know the isight is on my want list mainly cause I know this will be the car my daughter learns to drive on in a few years (scary thought)

usmcvet
03-05-18, 19:33
Yes the 2014. It's one if the 4 cylinders. I think they make a 6 too.

PrarieDog
03-05-18, 20:18
Wanted a forester till I drove it and thought it was a tinny piece of crap. Rode like garbage too. Ended up buying an 2016 Outback. Great ride, great in the snow and great off road. Factory tires suck. Gas milage could be better but worth having all wheel drive. Not crazy about "eye sight". As for acceleration if you double pump the gas pedal it will force the trans to down shift aggressively. Great car for cross country trips. After this car is warn out in about another 4 years I will buy another one.
Folks make fun of me saying that I carpool with Ellen. I call it my "Dirty hippie car" but cops don't bat an eye at me exceeding the speed limit.

Honu
03-05-18, 21:03
Wanted a forester till I drove it and thought it was a tinny piece of crap. Rode like garbage too. Ended up buying an 2016 Outback. Great ride, great in the snow and great off road. Factory tires suck. Gas milage could be better but worth having all wheel drive. Not crazy about "eye sight". As for acceleration if you double pump the gas pedal it will force the trans to down shift aggressively. Great car for cross country trips. After this car is warn out in about another 4 years I will buy another one.
Folks make fun of me saying that I carpool with Ellen. I call it my "Dirty hippie car" but cops don't bat an eye at me exceeding the speed limit.

curious what year you tried ? I have heard here and on forums the later are better and from the old crosstrek to the new one and as said above about impreza on the new global platform its night and day on feel
also read forgot what year the forester got thicker glass less road noise ? think it was 2016 they got that

lots do think the outback is more civilized better seats
often hear forester and crosstrek seats are to short also lack of adj options of those two are nil

I can relate to going with something that does not stand out :)

PrarieDog
03-05-18, 22:45
Looked at the 2016 model Forester. I was afraid to let my wife drive it as it is one of the #1 rated cars among lesbians Ha!. Really did have my heart set on the forester but I am very happy with the Outback. I hope to buy a 3.6 next time. Would like a little more power but have been pretty happy with this current car. Wish they made an off road version with torsion diffs, lower gearing, larger tires, and a 2" lift. I think they would sell a ton of them.

Col_Crocs
03-06-18, 00:20
I've driven both the current forrester and Outback. -- Technically '17 Forrester XT and '16 Outback. The only pros I see for the forrester (test drive unit) is the ride height and headroom, and perhaps for that particular iteration, the addition of features previously only available on the Outback. I found it heavy from a full stop only to have the turbo suddenly kick in at roughly 5000rpm, at about 40-50mph. -- Too quirky and lacks response from my short experience.
The outback (my dad's) on the otherhand is nice. The V6 limited has decent power and a cushier ride. Handles well at high speeds. Very responsive steering etc.
I'd be allover the current Outback if I were in the market for a new car.
ETA: have you considered the Ascent? No idea on specs or when it's set to release but it looks nice.

Honu
03-06-18, 01:25
Well there goes me ever seen the driver of a forester without wondering and the whole foresters are ok image blown ;)

Looked at the 2016 model Forester. I was afraid to let my wife drive it as it is one of the #1 rated cars among lesbians Ha!. Really did have my heart set on the forester but I am very happy with the Outback. I hope to buy a 3.6 next time. Would like a little more power but have been pretty happy with this current car. Wish they made an off road version with torsion diffs, lower gearing, larger tires, and a 2" lift. I think they would sell a ton of them.

Honu
03-06-18, 01:29
Thanks
Yeah ascent will be out of price otherwise would keep my 2015 4Runner
They look promising though
Want a cheaper car for daily and saving up money for a 4x4 sprinter for camping etc....

I've driven both the current forrester and Outback. -- Technically '17 Forrester XT and '16 Outback. The only pros I see for the forrester (test drive unit) is the ride height and headroom, and perhaps for that particular iteration, the addition of features previously only available on the Outback. I found it heavy from a full stop only to have the turbo suddenly kick in at roughly 5000rpm, at about 40-50mph. -- Too quirky and lacks response from my short experience.
The outback (my dad's) on the otherhand is nice. The V6 limited has decent power and a cushier ride. Handles well at high speeds. Very responsive steering etc.
I'd be allover the current Outback if I were in the market for a new car.
ETA: have you considered the Ascent? No idea on specs or when it's set to release but it looks nice.

gaijin
03-06-18, 05:18
Sure see a lot of Subaru's with Rainbow stickers, peace signs, Obama, "I'm Ready For Hillary" stckers and other way left of center crapola in my area. Have never seen one with an NRA sticker.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Honu
03-06-18, 13:48
Sure see a lot of Subaru's with Rainbow stickers, peace signs, Obama, "I'm Ready For Hillary" stckers and other way left of center crapola in my area. Have never seen one with an NRA sticker.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

yeah does seem that way sadly

PrarieDog
03-06-18, 17:55
It is awesome. Allows me to fly under the radar in CA. Blows their minds when people talk to me and they don't get the answer they are expecting.

flenna
03-06-18, 19:48
I did test drive a Crosstrek last year when I was car shopping. Totally unimpressed, the little flat 4 motor had almost no power and the ride was primitive. I was disappointed as I've always liked the looks of the Crosstrek.

markdh720
03-07-18, 00:09
I had a Legacy and loved it, so my wife wanted a Subaru. They're reliable, not too bad on gas, and they're phenomenal in bad Chicago weather. She test drove a Crosstrek and a Forrester. She loves the Crosstrek she ended up getting, but plans on a Forrester for the future replacement. She wishes she had more cargo room. We'll probably own at least one Subaru for the as long as I can imagine. I bought an F150 because it filled a purpose, but I really miss my Legacy.

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 02:31
I debated on contributing but have elected to share my thoughts even though I haven’t had a Subaru in about 10 years.

I did own a 2005 Legacy GT. This was the Legacy with the 2.5L H4 turbo.

As a sporty sedan it was OK. For the money it offered good performance and all weather traction, at least once the horrid stock tires had been replaced.

Handling was generally pretty good, although body roll was a bit excessive during quick directional changes. Probably needed a larger sway bar. The brakes were abysmal though, soft pedal, not much bite.

Power was above average in its class with a claimed 250hp and 250lb-ft of torque. What wasn’t above average was fuel economy, it was a 23-24mpg on the highway proposition. City driving was in the teens. Much worse if you indulged in boost. Really not very impressive, I was selling BMW’s at the time and 550i with a 360hp 4.6L V8 got the same fuel economy. Hell my current Chevrolet SS sedan with a 415hp 6.2L LS3 V8 does 24.5mpg on the highway cruising at 75mph, and it's a larger (and much faster) car.

Overall it was a good car, and was generally pretty reliable for the time I had it. The turbo EJ25 was known for catastrophic engine failures on some model years due to a banjo bolt issue, and the idiotic decision to place a catalytic converter in front on the turbo on the exhaust manifolds.

All of the naturally aspirated Subaru’s I have driven were hopelessly underpowered. To the point I would never willingly buy one given other alternatives. Subaru’s current obsession with CVT transmissions, and fuel economy above all else are a nonstarter with me.

Honu
03-07-18, 05:42
Thx good to hear other sides

I debated on contributing but have elected to share my thoughts even though I haven’t had a Subaru in about 10 years.

I did own a 2005 Legacy GT. This was the Legacy with the 2.5L H4 turbo.

As a sporty sedan it was OK. For the money it offered good performance and all weather traction, at least once the horrid stock tires had been replaced.

Handling was generally pretty good, although body roll was a bit excessive during quick directional changes. Probably needed a larger sway bar. The brakes were abysmal though, soft pedal, not much bite.

Power was above average in its class with a claimed 250hp and 250lb-ft of torque. What wasn’t above average was fuel economy, it was a 23-24mpg on the highway proposition. City driving was in the teens. Much worse if you indulged in boost. Really not very impressive, I was selling BMW’s at the time and 550i with a 360hp 4.6L V8 got the same fuel economy. Hell my current Chevrolet SS sedan with a 415hp 6.2L LS3 V8 does 24.5mpg on the highway cruising at 75mph, and it's a larger (and much faster) car.

Overall it was a good car, and was generally pretty reliable for the time I had it. The turbo EJ25 was known for catastrophic engine failures on some model years due to a banjo bolt issue, and the idiotic decision to place a catalytic converter in front on the turbo on the exhaust manifolds.

All of the naturally aspirated Subaru’s I have driven were hopelessly underpowered. To the point I would never willingly buy one given other alternatives. Subaru’s current obsession with CVT transmissions, and fuel economy above all else are a nonstarter with me.

Honu
03-07-18, 05:45
Cargo room does seem to be the low point on those
Any thoughts on power many say it’s lacking many say it’s fine for what it is and mileage they get

My fear on power in the cross trek is 4 of us and some gear lack of torque/power to bad they did not make a turbo

I had a Legacy and loved it, so my wife wanted a Subaru. They're reliable, not too bad on gas, and they're phenomenal in bad Chicago weather. She test drove a Crosstrek and a Forrester. She loves the Crosstrek she ended up getting, but plans on a Forrester for the future replacement. She wishes she had more cargo room. We'll probably own at least one Subaru for the as long as I can imagine. I bought an F150 because it filled a purpose, but I really miss my Legacy.

militarymoron
03-07-18, 10:39
How much power is 'enough' depends on what kind of driver you are. My wife and I like being able to accelerate and merge with traffic on the freeway or pass, so that's why we opted for the 3.6L outback. Driven up some long mountain roads/passes as well and it was nice not to feel like we were underpowered. No complaints on mileage from us.

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 12:58
Cargo room does seem to be the low point on those
Any thoughts on power many say it’s lacking many say it’s fine for what it is and mileage they get

My fear on power in the cross trek is 4 of us and some gear lack of torque/power to bad they did not make a turbo

Well speaking for myself, when I’m driving solo I want the car to have a power to weight ratio capable of crushing other motorists who are dawdling on two lane highways. Every now and then you encounter that rare magical asshole who will try to speed up when you go to pass on a twisty road with few opportunities to get it done. Unless he (it’s always a he) is driving a seriously fast car or bike, I’m going to crush him, he’s getting passed and there’s not shit he can do about it.

This is very satisfying, especially in my area during the Sturgis Rally. Every August I get to demonstrate to idiot Harley Davidson riders that their bike is slow, and they should get the hell out of the way when faster moving traffic wants to pass. Also handy when passing a clump of tourists stuck behind another tourist pulling a camper, need to pass 4 vehicles safely and quickly? No problem, drop down a few gears with the paddle shifters and let the LS3 do what it loves. Make loud shouty noises. Go fast. Complete your pass well into triple digits if you’re not careful. Laugh like mad man.

Even with 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage our current car will still run pretty damn hard. It would be hard to give that up.

You might have figured out by now that I’m a bit enthusiastic about overpowered vehicles.... and you’d be correct. I enjoy the rare opportunities to entertain myself while driving, but I also enjoy the totally relaxed experience of a big V8 in a comfortable 4 door wafting effortlessly down the highway or country road.

This is where I really object to most smaller naturally aspirated engines asked to motivate a 4 door you plan to drive with 4 people. More often than not performance is barely adequate with just a driver and one more passenger. Add two more people (essentially 300-400lbs) and luggage, and it’s going to be a turd in my book.

The thing is I’m not you. You might be more willing to trundle around on roads you know, stuck behind tourists doing 15mph under the speed limit, with short passing opportunities you can’t exploit.

kerplode
03-07-18, 13:28
Well speaking for myself, when I’m driving solo I want the car to have a power to weight ratio capable of crushing other motorists who are dawdling on two lane highways. Every now and then you encounter that rare magical asshole who will try to speed up when you go to pass on a twisty road with few opportunities to get it done. Unless he (it’s always a he) is driving a seriously fast car or bike, I’m going to crush him, he’s getting passed and there’s not shit he can do about it.

:-) Yeah, a Subie probably isn't the right choice for you..Your SS sounds pretty bad-ass, though! I'm rocking a Tacoma, so I'm pretty used to a vehicle that struggles to get out of its own way. Our Outback has a NA 4-cyl and feels pretty sporty by comparison.

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 13:36
You rocking a 4 cylinder Tacoma? Yeah, those are not quick. The 4.0L V6 in that truck is pretty solid though, and I hear the new 3.5L V6 is too.

My normal daily driver is a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7L V8. It does pretty well for a truck.

Yeah... the SS is hilarious. Looks like any other Chevy sedan to most people. If you know what to look for the wider wheels/tires in back, giant brakes, and true dual exhaust give it away. Most are oblivious though, including those unlucky LEO’s on traffic enforcement duty. Nothing to see here Officer, just another silver 4 door. LOL.

Honu
03-07-18, 16:36
How much power is 'enough' depends on what kind of driver you are. My wife and I like being able to accelerate and merge with traffic on the freeway or pass, so that's why we opted for the 3.6L outback. Driven up some long mountain roads/passes as well and it was nice not to feel like we were underpowered. No complaints on mileage from us.

YUP on the power :) used to my 4runner does fine on grades and am a bit worried when loaded for camping that we would like sitting behind the trucks with some of the 4 bangers

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 16:53
Yeah.... you will not be doing much passing uphill fully loaded with Subaru H4 with no turbo on it.

Honu
03-07-18, 16:57
hahahaha I hate those idiots that go OH I am being passed time to speed up :) these days with kids and stuff I am more chill but do want to keep a steady speed and pass when I want on a grade etc..

lucky we can camp when we want so try to go mid week (homeschool) and avoid the weekend mess and it is a freaking mess going up north here :)

the 4runner I have now 2015 model does OK but do not want to go much lower but reality a lot of what we do is taking the kids to events or things so the forester might work but have to test drive ?
I do reckon knowing me and my past the xt2.0 or the 3.6 outback will be better but budget and things next few years :) I might be ok with whatever :)

overall my fav cars from past are 3 series BMW more the e36 years when I was into them I lived on Maui then so plenty for there but had a convertible 328 about the best Maui car :) top down seat warmers on cruising the pali at night :) life does not get much better

I am never solo anymore :) when we go out its 2 of us me and kid or wife and kid around town any road trips its all 4 of us and often the dogs to

This is very satisfying, especially in my area during the Sturgis Rally. Every August I get to demonstrate to idiot Harley Davidson riders that their bike is slow, and they should get the hell out of the way when faster moving traffic wants to pass. Also handy when passing a clump of tourists stuck behind another tourist pulling a camper, need to pass 4 vehicles safely and quickly? No problem, drop down a few gears with the paddle shifters and let the LS3 do what it loves. Make loud shouty noises. Go fast. Complete your pass well into triple digits if you’re not careful. Laugh like mad man.

Even with 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage our current car will still run pretty damn hard. It would be hard to give that up.

You might have figured out by now that I’m a bit enthusiastic about overpowered vehicles.... and you’d be correct. I enjoy the rare opportunities to entertain myself while driving, but I also enjoy the totally relaxed experience of a big V8 in a comfortable 4 door wafting effortlessly down the highway or country road.

This is where I really object to most smaller naturally aspirated engines asked to motivate a 4 door you plan to drive with 4 people. More often than not performance is barely adequate with just a driver and one more passenger. Add two more people (essentially 300-400lbs) and luggage, and it’s going to be a turd in my book.

The thing is I’m not you. You might be more willing to trundle around on roads you know, stuck behind tourists doing 15mph under the speed limit, with short passing opportunities you can’t exploit.

Honu
03-07-18, 17:03
:-) Yeah, a Subie probably isn't the right choice for you..Your SS sounds pretty bad-ass, though! I'm rocking a Tacoma, so I'm pretty used to a vehicle that struggles to get out of its own way. Our Outback has a NA 4-cyl and feels pretty sporty by comparison.

I have had two toyota pu one a tacoma one to old to be called tacoma :)
my old original one in the 80s was rocking 4 side draft mikunis and quite fixed up engine was a fun ride
the tacoma I had was the first year of the 4 doors ? got a limited brand new and was stolen the first year we owned it and considered totaled on recovery Maui was vicious for car theft I kid you not every single friend of mine had a car stolen every single one !!!! nobody gets away without its so so bad out there
bummer as we loved the thing ? before my 4runner I had the FJC first year it came out fixed up to beat AZ trails loved that rig but a family of 4 the lack of storage and the doors got really really old

I do love the tacomas though just wish they would put discs on the rear brakes :)

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 17:05
So with that as a concern, rule out the Crosstrek.

Either a Forester XT, our Outback with the H6.

The 2.0L turbo H4 is supposed to be a pretty stout little motor. You can tune them too, but the CVT doesn’t like high torque so gains are limited.

Honu
03-07-18, 17:12
Yeah.... you will not be doing much passing uphill fully loaded with Subaru H4 with no turbo on it.

hahahahahah NO but I can wave as you go blowing buy me and my car buffs around from the wind :) reckon you will have a smile in the rear view mirror while I will be going arrrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahaha

I noticed here at least people do not know what the right lane is for (getting over) or the left I think they feel is the I am important lane so I must sit in it !!!!
even a few semi trucks sit in the left on grades here !!!!! and almost all the toy haulers refuse to go to the right and on the down grade the same thing !!!

and you get that one idiot you tried to pass and he sped past pulled in front and then decides to pace the semi next to him all the way up the hill :)

sitting by the rear tires I keep thinking OH get a blow out so I can watch that tire rip the guys car apart :)

people do not know how to drive anymore ? sitting in blind spots sitting in the left pacing the guy in the right and just plain bad driving

like the people that put there right signal on then have to turn left first to then go right ? sure ya know what I mean by those types :)

like in the city taking two lanes to turn aarrrrgghhhhh

I kinda miss my off road FJ 40 and FJC with solid roo/winch bar and rear steel rock crawling bumpers and sliders that are kicked so you can slide by things of road :) I had a guy pull over on me one time :) did not even bother with the touch up on the rock railsand front bumper got a tiny bit of his paint on me but man those things can do damage when someone slides along you only going 20 on a city street amazed at how much damage happens to cars these days

he did try to convince the cop I was at fault :) cop laughed when I showed him where he hit just added some of his paint hahahah

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 17:15
Yeah tough these days to find cars or SUV’s with some nuts that don’t cost north of $50K.

Too bad.

Why get rid of your 4Runner? Or you just adding another vehicle?

Honu
03-07-18, 17:18
So with that as a concern, rule out the Crosstrek.

Either a Forester XT, our Outback with the H6.

The 2.0L turbo H4 is supposed to be a pretty stout little motor. You can tune them too, but the CVT doesn’t like high torque so gains are limited.

yeah I went today to sit in them will test drive later doing some more looking on some other daily driver options

the Crosstrek are cool but small the outback for sure you get way nicer features 10 way adj seat vs 6 in the forester ? paddles on the lower model outback only on the higher forester

really the outback does seem like the way better deal ! I do like the moon roof in the forester better
I do think the wife would like the forester seating position better

but this is for a daily driver that is cheap to own and do the bulk of our junk driving in so have to keep that in mind :)

I was back looking at BMWs again to the X3 for a daily driver is nice and used they depreciate so fast they are a good buy

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 17:23
A certified pre owned is a good way to leverage more vehicle for your $$$ while still getting something nice.

Coal Dragger
03-07-18, 17:31
When researching your powertrain choices for a family truckster to haul everyone and the dogs, and gear you should look for good torque at useful engine speeds.

A 300hp engine that does the deed at 8000 RPM is going to be pretty flaccid down at 2500 RPM where you actually spend 95% of your time.

Honu
03-07-18, 17:38
Yeah tough these days to find cars or SUV’s with some nuts that don’t cost north of $50K.

Too bad.

Why get rid of your 4Runner? Or you just adding another vehicle?

we love the 4 runner but what we are doing these days we do not need it really
we used to do more hard core camping off road these days more dirt road and fire road for 3-10 miles to get off the main roads so anything can make it
also want to try to save up and start thinking of a 4x4 sprinter vehicle and do some extended show our kids the country for months at a time is one end goal want our kids to see all our country and how awesome it is :)

I used to have a Conqueror conquest camping trailer from South Africa (if you are into off road camping you might know them if not google it :) killer stuff
loved that thing but towing and maintenance got tired of towing off road but loved the comfort
our camping went from super comfy to now more back pack style lighter gear and liking it more
easier for me to load and space is way less etc..

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-by-side/maverick-x3/maverick-x3-x-rc-turbo-r.html
and here in AZ I can get tags on it then just drive it or trailer to off road spots and do some serious bombing around with the family
40K 4runner with 10k in mods OR this and a subaru :)

or a sprinter with one of these on a trailer would be a fun thing to travel the country in and have fun at spots when we got there

mainly burnt out on 35-40k daily drivers %90+ of the time :)

Honu
03-07-18, 17:43
When researching your powertrain choices for a family truckster to haul everyone and the dogs, and gear you should look for good torque at useful engine speeds.

A 300hp engine that does the deed at 8000 RPM is going to be pretty flaccid down at 2500 RPM where you actually spend 95% of your time.

for sure I am a huge car guy so is family I used to race MX enough to be factory sponsored highest I got was 3rd in west coast nationals but that is pretty good :)

yeah I am preaching to the choir :) as you said torque is what gets you moving and power is what can help you maintain on hwy but man I wish you could get killer diesel toyota here like the LC70s etc..

I always wanted and maybe one day a unimog :) or a volvo c304 6x6 as a dedicated off road setup to but that link above could be more fun and cheaper to own in long run :) knowing belts are made to wear and break easy fix compared to drive lines and other things on a jeep or off road rig

Pilgrim
03-07-18, 18:17
Wife drives a 2016 Cross Trek, and son drives a 2018 Forrester. I am madly in love with these cars and will always have a Subaru of some sort in the family. I must say I slightly prefer the Forrester, because the car is mainly used for veterinary runs.

If money were no object to me, I'd still drive a Forrester.

Honu
03-07-18, 19:44
Wife drives a 2016 Cross Trek, and son drives a 2018 Forrester. I am madly in love with these cars and will always have a Subaru of some sort in the family. I must say I slightly prefer the Forrester, because the car is mainly used for veterinary runs.

If money were no object to me, I'd still drive a Forrester.

do you work with animals or just your own ?
or you a vet ?

daughter wants to be a vet :)

Caeser25
03-08-18, 06:42
I bought a cpo 13 impreza sport in 16, normal car height version of the Crosstrek. I have no complaints so far. Gets mid 30s mpg in the highway. Pretty decent in the snow with crappy all season tires that came with it. I'd imagine it'd be better with dedicated snow tires. I'd buy one a Subaru again, maybe a Forester though. Single, no kids or pets, the Impreza is fine for me.

Edit: power is anemic. I use the paddle shifters on hills alot in the city. I get about 22mpg in the city but there's a ton hills here.

Urabus23
03-11-18, 18:16
Ive been driving a Subaru since 1998 and love them. The only major problems I've had were because walls decided to hit my car...lol.

Have you looked at the Accent? It should be out sometime this year and it will have the new 2.4 DIT motor.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1250/117/subaru-america-announces-pricing-all-new-2019-ascent

Nightstalker865
03-11-18, 20:54
I had a 2010 STI hatchback that I daily drove for 4 years. Absolutely loved that car.

Daily drove it, autox’d it, and ran a few track days as well. Had zero issues out of it and it held its value better than any other car I’ve owned.

I’d buy another Subaru in a heartbeat.

Honu
03-11-18, 22:13
Ive been driving a Subaru since 1998 and love them. The only major problems I've had were because walls decided to hit my car...lol.

Have you looked at the Accent? It should be out sometime this year and it will have the new 2.4 DIT motor.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1250/117/subaru-america-announces-pricing-all-new-2019-ascent

yeah nice but I would keep my 4runner then :) cutting back a bit on size and price for daily driving :)

Urabus23
03-11-18, 22:49
yeah nice but I would keep my 4runner then :) cutting back a bit on size and price for daily driving :)

Ah...I would say go with the Forester XT. I think the the Forester will be NA only from next MY.

Honu
03-11-18, 23:28
Ah...I would say go with the Forester XT. I think the the Forester will be NA only from next MY.

that is what I hear

also why I kinda want to wait for the new models on the global platform

glocktogo
03-12-18, 19:25
yeah I went today to sit in them will test drive later doing some more looking on some other daily driver options

the Crosstrek are cool but small the outback for sure you get way nicer features 10 way adj seat vs 6 in the forester ? paddles on the lower model outback only on the higher forester

really the outback does seem like the way better deal ! I do like the moon roof in the forester better
I do think the wife would like the forester seating position better

but this is for a daily driver that is cheap to own and do the bulk of our junk driving in so have to keep that in mind :)

I was back looking at BMWs again to the X3 for a daily driver is nice and used they depreciate so fast they are a good buy

Wish I still had my 02' WRX. I currently own an 02 4Runner but just to tow my boat. Still under 100K and plan to have it forever. :)

My 08' Lexus is aging hard, mostly because the roads I have to drive every day. They're literally beating it to death. I thought about getting something like a ZR2 Colorado for the tires and suspension, but I prefer driving cars. Now I'm sorta leaning towards an Outback 3.6R, then doing an lpadventure.com lift with BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 tires. That should give me a more car-like ride and fuel economy, while not rattling apart on our abysmal roads. I'll probably snag a low mileage used one vs. brand new. You can find 2017 3.6R Limiteds in the mid to upper $20's with less than 30k on the clock. Based on your use and driving conditions, that might be something to check into.

Honu
03-12-18, 21:31
Wish I still had my 02' WRX. I currently own an 02 4Runner but just to tow my boat. Still under 100K and plan to have it forever. :)

My 08' Lexus is aging hard, mostly because the roads I have to drive every day. They're literally beating it to death. I thought about getting something like a ZR2 Colorado for the tires and suspension, but I prefer driving cars. Now I'm sorta leaning towards an Outback 3.6R, then doing an lpadventure.com lift with BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 tires. That should give me a more car-like ride and fuel economy, while not rattling apart on our abysmal roads. I'll probably snag a low mileage used one vs. brand new. You can find 2017 3.6R Limiteds in the mid to upper $20's with less than 30k on the clock. Based on your use and driving conditions, that might be something to check into.

that would be nice ride :) I like the products LP has :)

also heard king makes springs for the subarus with my gear and stuff I do think redoing the rear would be nice and balance out the front end to mainly so I throw my kids and 200 lbs in the rear it does not squat out !
and reckon I will put ko2 on for sure traction and sidewall :) buy my certs from discount tire :) amazed they still offer those to off road guys here in AZ that really use the OOOOPS ripped another tire !

tires might not go up in size ? to me the small gain is more looks and a touch less performance etc. for most driving rather keep the extra 1-2 mpg I might save over to over size tires they are so tiny compared to what I had anyway and really its more about picking lines and traction these days to me then looks BUT those setups I see with method wheels look sweet

I used old man emu and had good luck with them on my Toyota so to me the spacer lift is OK but I want good springs and reading the xt2.0 has a bit stiffer rate in the rear :) good and some say quite nice really so yeah that is a good excuse to get a 2.0 save me from buying kings :) hahahahah

looking into used first big time around here prices are so insane high like 2k a year drop though so unless its a older 2014 the drop is not huge and really want to get a sub 20-30k ride if I can used

I looked/drove a Kia mini van :) hahahaahah 2017 under 20k miles and under 20k to buy actually drove really nice and would be awesome for my photo gear etc.. and then wait till the new global platform hits later this year or wait for the 2nd year ?
OR get one of the new can am maxis turbo r3 or whatever they are called and tow that :) cause the new rock crawler model of that looks cool and about the same cost as a subaru :) and I can lic it here in AZ ;) hmmmmmmmm tempting

also as said above looking at the xt 2.0 turbo if they drop it next year would be nice to have but not sure what they will replace with on the forester side ? which again the new global platform is going to happen it made the crosstrek a whole new WOW many say and many say it will do that to the forester next year (not sure about outback)

I keep reading avoid the 2012-2014 if I can on the forester ? and get the 2015 OR the 2017 which has thicker glass a bit quieter many have said a much nicer ride but that used price is about the same as new and that creep back up in price happens ?

heading out tomorrow to do some test drives