PDA

View Full Version : moving to cali

HMsailor
03-05-18, 13:33
im moving to cali due to mil orders. not my choice but needs of the navy. so my question is should i put my non-CA AR15s in long term storage or just put em for sale?

boombotz401
03-05-18, 13:37
When I moved from a liberal state to a pro 2a state I put all my rifles and other possessions in storage until I had the keys to my new place

Was no issues, I did however pay for 24hr access so I could load the unit while no other storage owners were around. Didn’t need any potential thief’s getting ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

young_gun
03-05-18, 14:28
Since there is no way to know what will be banned or restricted during your time in California, I would put them in storage or possibly at a relative’s house inside of a safe. Even though we might be at the beginning of another panic, I’d still say it’s a pretty crappy time to sell, but regardless of where I was stationed, I wouldn’t sell a damn thing. Just keep them and reunite with them when you can.

officerX
03-05-18, 14:30
Time to retire!

kerplode
03-05-18, 14:51
Definitely store them in a safe place...The way things are headed, you might not be able to replace them when you move back out of CA.

Stickman
03-05-18, 16:40
If they are decent weapons, keep them on base in your safe and they should be GTG unless something has changed. If they are junky cheapo ARs, sell them off and pick up a couple lowers to hold on to.

Iraqgunz
03-05-18, 16:48
Unless they are absolute trash keep them. With the current situation and what may be in the foreseeable future it might cost you more to replace what you have later.

HMsailor
03-05-18, 17:09
If they are decent weapons, keep them on base in your safe and they should be GTG unless something has changed. If they are junky cheapo ARs, sell them off and pick up a couple lowers to hold on to.
first of all they are non CA compliant. secondly, you have to turn in personal firearms on base. third, theyre not trash ARs...Colt, DD, Armalite AR10

RHINOWSO
03-05-18, 17:47
first of all they are non CA compliant. secondly, you have to turn in personal firearms on base. third, theyre not trash ARs...Colt, DD, Armalite AR10

Keep them. Whether that's on base, storing them out of state, etc.

hk_shootr
03-05-18, 19:14
With the current leftist opposition on firearms, especilly ARs, I would get a climate controlled storage facility across the border. Get a fire safe and all is good. Drive over every few months for a conjugal visit.

noonesshowmonkey
03-05-18, 19:26
This feels like a General Forum thread.

Also, I'd leave them with family in a less restrictive state. Orders come and go.

TactiCool1976
03-05-18, 19:36
im moving to cali due to mil orders. not my choice but needs of the navy. so my question is should i put my non-CA AR15s in long term storage or just put em for sale?

i will hold on to them for you.......

i'd leave them with a family member... if you can move your safe easily enough, just see about moving the safe to a corner of their garage and call it good

Stickman
03-05-18, 19:54

Unless something has changed, the base is allowed to retain weapons in their armory that although personal firearms, are not subject to CA laws. Give the armory NCOIC a call and verify, it is the easiest way to go about things. I wouldn't dump those weapons right now, you certainly wouldn't get much money out of them.

czgunner
03-05-18, 20:19
Unless something has changed, the base is allowed to retain weapons in their armory that although personal firearms, are not subject to CA laws. Give the armory NCOIC a call and verify, it is the easiest way to go about things. I wouldn't dump those weapons right now, you certainly wouldn't get much money out of them.

When I was active a few years ago, all personally owned arms were able to be kept in the arms room.

JulyAZ
03-05-18, 21:02
Buy a safe of your own and find a family member that you trust and ask them or pay them to keep your safe there on their property.

But don’t give them the combo, just store the safe there and let it be until you can recover them.

El R15
03-05-18, 21:26
For the love of god, keep them!

You may need them in the future.

Hammer_Man
03-06-18, 00:20
To echo what other members have already stated, you should be able to store them on post in the arms room.

Wake27
03-06-18, 00:30
Storing them in the arms room isn’t a great option, and there may be a limit. A lot of it is up to the CDR at the time, at least for Army. I’d try to find family that will hold on to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
03-06-18, 02:42
For all of those that are recommending storing them on base in the arms room, be advised that CA has restrictions on that and prior approval is required to bring them in state (and that could have changed with all the recent shenanigans). I would look for other options first.

Joelski
03-06-18, 06:42
Echo keep them with your folks. You want somebody who isn't going to move in the middle of your assignment and create headaches for you.

03-06-18, 10:26
Individual bases and commands sometimes have their own rules. What worked for some members may not be valid at the base he is moving to. Also, some bases made new rules after the Ft Hood thing.

LDB
03-06-18, 17:54
First and foremost, thank you for serving. I would probably try to keep them if a workable solution is available. Hopefully your time in CA. will be short. Maybe you'll come here to Texas next. Stay safe.