PDA

View Full Version : Are the RCBS X-dies a good thing for .223?

maximus83
10-18-08, 14:40
I am just starting to get into reloading for .223 (for my AR's), and have most of the gear already except that I need some dies.

Are the RCBS small-base X-dies a good choice? The claim they make, is that by using these, you don't have to do as much trimming and resizing. Don't know if that's true or not, or if these dies in general do a good job.

nicholst55
10-19-08, 23:50
Larry Gibson has posted an article online about using the X Die with an M1A. He was able to get 20 loads out of the test-lot of brass, which is absolutely phenomenal for an M1A! Normal brass life is about 4 loads.

Here's a link: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-22078.html

Once I return to the States I'm definitely going to buy an X-Die for all of my gas-gun cartridges.

As far as Small Base or not, I don't see the need to use an SB die on anything other than range brass or once-fired machine gun brass. I think that the use of SB dies has been way, way overemphasized recently, along with the use of some other things (the Lee Factory Crimp Die comes readily to mind). That's a personal decision, though.

Steve in PA
10-22-08, 18:34
Yes they work. I don't use a small base die for any reloading and I reload for my M4 and M1 Garand.

The x-die doesn't eliminate sizing, it eliminates or reduces the need to trim. I have numerous firings through my .223 and .30/06 brass and other than the initial trim, I have not needed to trim the brass.

Storydude
10-22-08, 20:00
Having to trim brass does not equate to that brass being "bad"

I have to trim the brass for my K31 EVERY firing. And I load it pretty hot.

"Bad" brass usually is due to incipient head separation, or work-hardening of the necks. Until I see one of these X-dies cut in half and actually SEE how it "reduces or eliminates needing to trim" the only thing I can think of is it's either bumping the shoulder back, causing the case to fireform to the chamber every time, or it's just a modified neck sizing die, which does not touch the shoulder of the case at all.

I Avg. about 6-8 loadings out of my K31 brass and that's pushing 45.5G of varget behind a 168G pill. With the lower chamber pressures found in my AR loads,(and no, I'm not posting them) I've found that the leading cause of bad brass is not split necks or head separation....It's physically getting beat up by being run in an autoloader.

Proper die setup and proper loadings will eliminate most of the needing of special dies/tools to produce fine reloaded ammunition. I heard when I bought my K31 Swiss, that the ONLY dies that would allow the brass to even CHAMBER were the Redding "K31" dies. Being hardheaded, I ordered the Lee set. Imagine my surprise when they not only chambered, but were more accurate than my GP11 Factory ammo.

Trimming cases takes me a whopping .5 seconds per, using a modified Lee case gauge/trimmer combo and my Electric drill. I've found that with a nice low power load, I'm needing to scrap the brass due to gouges or big dents in the case before needing to trim again. And for the record, trim length is not a super critical measurement in plinking or general use ammo. It only comes into it's own when making sub moa ammo. As long as your dies are set up to resize correctly, and OAL is within specs, actual case length is a non-issue.

My 5 cents.

chadbag
10-22-08, 23:38
I've never used an X-die

They kind of talk about how they work here

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47705

Lefty223
10-23-15, 11:46
Having to trim brass does not equate to that brass being "bad". I have to trim the brass for my K31 EVERY firing. And I load it pretty hot. Proper die setup and proper loadings will eliminate most of the needing of special dies/tools to produce fine reloaded ammunition.
Well, for you to have to do all that w/ a K31 sure sounds like you're pushing the shoulder back waaaay too far.

Have you ever compared a fireformed case to a fired case from your loads? My buddies and I, all whom shoot & reload K31s, neck-size only and we don't need to trim at all - once done once that is. Re-anneal the necks periodically - yes. Sounds to me like you really need a case micrometer or Wilson headspace die.

Back to RCBS X-dies ... they work extremely well in semi-autos! I use them in both a precision AR and for a National Match-built M1 Garand in 308.