PDA

View Full Version : CPAP Question

firefighter37
03-06-18, 14:30
Doing a study about CPAP use for school.

Wanted to see how many members here use a CPAP

jpmuscle
03-06-18, 15:00
Fwiw ping IGgunz. I want to say he mentioned using one in one of the armorer threads awhile back. I forget how the topic came up but it might be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
03-06-18, 15:21
Do I?

I don't even know what it is!

26 Inf
03-06-18, 15:41
Do I?

I don't even know what it is!

Really? If so, for treating sleep apnea. Stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.

I took a sleep study after listening to a recording of me snoring. It was awesome.

The only thing I really dislike about my CPAP is the raping that dispensers perpetrate on insurance companies.

Much cheaper online, except, well, then I actually pay.

Jewell
03-06-18, 15:46
I do have one, but every time I wear it, I manage to take it off at some point while I'm sleeping.

Jewell
03-06-18, 15:55
Really? If so, for treating sleep apnea. Stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.

I took a sleep study after listening to a recording of me snoring. It was awesome.

The only thing I really dislike about my CPAP is the raping that dispensers perpetrate on insurance companies.

Much cheaper online, except, well, then I actually pay.

You thought the sleep study was awesome? I thought it was about as enjoyable as getting kicked in the balls by a horse. I don't understand how in the hell they figure you have any kind of sleep disorder when they wake you up what seems like every hour, hook all kinds of wires and shit up to you, and then record it all? Nobody is going to sleep worth a shit under those circumstances. Maybe my problem was having the sleep study done at the VA.

platoonDaddy
03-06-18, 15:59
I fall in the category that can't stand a CPAP, therefore I use a oral/dental appliance. Upon being fitted for the appliance, I took another sleep test and verified it works as advertised (at least for me.)

Some basic info on an oral appliance: https://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/sleep-apnea-treatment-options/oral-appliance/

RetroRevolver77
03-06-18, 16:01
Doing a study about CPAP use for school.

Wanted to see how many members here use a CPAP

I got the surgery instead. They cut a bunch of stuff out of my throat so I could breath better when sleeping. I wasn't overweight either.

You know what they say about man with a big uvula? He probably snores.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-06-18, 16:25
I voted no. I am neither overweight nor genetically inferior, so while I do snore I find that the only persons sleep it seems to effect is my girlfriends, so I just make her wear ear plugs.

ABNAK
03-06-18, 16:45
I hold both an RRT and RPSGT credential, the latter being specifically sleep-related, the former breathing in general.

No, I don't wear a CPAP nor do I need to.

Swstock
03-06-18, 17:14
I do because I snore loudly.

C-grunt
03-06-18, 18:02
I developed sleep apnea in the Army. Been using a CPAP for several years now. Probably one of the best decisions of my life.

El Vaquero
03-06-18, 19:17
Use a cpap every night. Wish I started sooner in life. Quality of sleep improved immensely. I’m not overweight.

For those that had the surgery, how were the results? I’ve thought about it but that’s a lot of cutting.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-06-18, 19:34
Fwiw ping IGgunz. I want to say he mentioned using one in one of the armorer threads awhile back. I forget how the topic came up but it might be worth a look.

Going off this screen shot I obtained from a video posted to you tube, I’d say his Mallampati score is a solid IV, so in my professional medical opinion, definitely CPAP’s.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180307/4376188ae68ba8c21e1bab747d407fa6.jpg

Bubba FAL
03-06-18, 19:37
Been using one for several years now. My apnea is so bad, they woke me up during the sleep study and made me put a cpap on right then and there. I wasn't breathing much at all while sleeping. I don't fall asleep during meetings at work anymore and I'm not tired all the time like I was before the cpap.

platoonDaddy
03-06-18, 19:47
I voted no. I am neither overweight nor genetically inferior, so while I do snore I find that the only persons sleep it seems to effect is my girlfriends, so I just make her wear ear plugs.

My brother snored and finally had a sleep study, during his snoring he would stop breathing. He is now on a CPAP machine.

If you are a heavy snorer, have your doctor recommend you for a sleep study.

All the best.

26 Inf
03-06-18, 21:42
You thought the sleep study was awesome?

No, I though the volume and robustness of my snoring was awesome, no, not awesome, epic.

(After I wrote that I actually considered whether or not I had made a pronoun error and came to the conclusion that 'recording' was the last noun before the pronoun 'it' and thought I was good to go, oh well :) )

Sleep study wasn't the worst thing I've been subjected to, but getting all the stickum off was a pain in the ass.

26 Inf
03-06-18, 21:48
I do have one, but every time I wear it, I manage to take it off at some point while I'm sleeping.

Are you using a mask, or nasal cannulas?

I found that once I got on the CPAP I didn't roam as much while sleeping, my wive used to bitch about me alligator rolling in the sheets blankets.

Averageman
03-06-18, 22:00
I have an enlarged uvula that causes me some problems when I sleep in certain positions. When they explained to me the procedure to correct this I nearly ran out of the room.
I would really rather snore.

RazorBurn
03-06-18, 22:40
I smoked for 29 years. I don't know if smoking caused it, but I'm sure it didn't help. I quit smoking cold turkey in December of 2015, and haven't smoked since. My wife hounded me for quite a few years to have a sleep study done. She said I would quit breathing during the night, and she would wake me up. I don't ever remember her waking me up as I'm a heavy sleeper.

I ended humoring her and had a home sleep study done during the summer of 2016. The results came back that I needed a CPAP, and I got the CPAP machine in August of 2016. At first it was tricky to get used to as it made me feel like I was suffocating, but it got easier to use after the first month or so.

I don't feel any better when I wake up, but I have noticed that I sleep most of the night instead of getting up to pee 4 or 5 times when not wearing it. I use it 7 days a week, and I average 5.5 hours a night with it.

PrarieDog
03-06-18, 22:58
I hate the darn thing but it has helped.Took a long time to learn to sleep with it on. Cant handle the water vapor even on the lowest setting as I would choke on it at night. Been stuck using afrin to clear my sinuses for the last few years as my nose is continually plugged up from CPAP use. I wish there was a better solution but it is an improvement. I can feel the difference when I don't use it so it is working.

One thing is since using the CPAP I don't dream anymore. Used to dream all the time but since using it I don't recall dreaming for the most part. Strange as I used to have some great dreams.

Diamondback
03-06-18, 23:00
I'm not, but we're working on getting my mother (61, about 5'5", 340lb. range) set up with one. Her snoring... well, her previous apartment was just down the street from a graveyard and I'd swear the Six Feet Under Neighbors complained about her sawmill impression.

El Vaquero
03-07-18, 01:23
I hate the darn thing but it has helped.Took a long time to learn to sleep with it on. Cant handle the water vapor even on the lowest setting as I would choke on it at night. Been stuck using afrin to clear my sinuses for the last few years as my nose is continually plugged up from CPAP use. I wish there was a better solution but it is an improvement. I can feel the difference when I don't use it so it is working.

Just the opposite for me. I have real bad allergies and I often go to bed with a stuffy nose and the cpap with humidifier clears me right now up. As a lifelong allergy sufferer this has been far more helpful than any allergy drug. I think breathing through filtered air 5-8 hours per night has made all the difference.

PrarieDog
03-07-18, 07:42
Glad to hear that it works better. All that I have talked to like the water. For me it was equivalent to injected post nasal drip that I would wake up choking on. Non the matter. Still has been an improvement but I still hate the thing. Love a good nap without it.

Hmac
03-07-18, 08:56
Just the opposite for me. I have real bad allergies and I often go to bed with a stuffy nose and the cpap with humidifier clears me right now up. As a lifelong allergy sufferer this has been far more helpful than any allergy drug. I think breathing through filtered air 5-8 hours per night has made all the difference.

Good deal, as long as you diligently disinfect your hoses, mask, and reservoir.

Hmac
03-07-18, 08:58
Going off this screen shot I obtained from a video posted to you tube, I’d say his Mallampati score is a solid IV, so in my professional medical opinion, definitely CPAP’s.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180307/4376188ae68ba8c21e1bab747d407fa6.jpg

Professionally, I'm more interested in neck circumference and BMI.

Hmac
03-07-18, 09:11
I got the surgery instead. They cut a bunch of stuff out of my throat so I could breath better when sleeping. I wasn't overweight either.

You know what they say about man with a big uvula? He probably snores.
Success rate for anterior palatoplasty for obstructive sleep apnea is about 60%, and that assumes that the patient doesn't have mixed central vs obstructive sleep apnea (pure CSA would be unusual in the population that participates at M4C). Generally speaking, it is a miserable procedure to have.

Jewell
03-07-18, 10:26

I found that once I got on the CPAP I didn't roam as much while sleeping, my wive used to bitch about me alligator rolling in the sheets blankets.

I have the mask.

ABNAK
03-07-18, 18:46

That's because in your sleep your were slowly being strangled. Violent dreams are often associated with sleep apnea, as it is a constant struggle to breathe.

ABNAK
03-07-18, 18:48
I smoked for 29 years. I don't know if smoking caused it, but I'm sure it didn't help. I quit smoking cold turkey in December of 2015, and haven't smoked since. My wife hounded me for quite a few years to have a sleep study done. She said I would quit breathing during the night, and she would wake me up. I don't ever remember her waking me up as I'm a heavy sleeper.

I ended humoring her and had a home sleep study done during the summer of 2016. The results came back that I needed a CPAP, and I got the CPAP machine in August of 2016. At first it was tricky to get used to as it made me feel like I was suffocating, but it got easier to use after the first month or so.

I don't feel any better when I wake up, but I have noticed that I sleep most of the night instead of getting up to pee 4 or 5 times when not wearing it. I use it 7 days a week, and I average 5.5 hours a night with it.

Smoking will not cause sleep apnea. It f***s up a lot of stuff but causing sleep apnea ain't one of them.

ABNAK
03-07-18, 18:54
Success rate for anterior palatoplasty for obstructive sleep apnea is about 60%, and that assumes that the patient doesn't have mixed central vs obstructive sleep apnea (pure CSA would be unusual in the population that participates at M4C). Generally speaking, it is a miserable procedure to have.

I recall being told that surgery as having about a 33% success rate. Maybe I'm thinking of the UPPP.

Yeah, I heard it's the worst sore throat you've ever had.

Hmac
03-07-18, 18:58
That's because in your sleep your were slowly being strangled. Violent dreams are often associated with sleep apnea, as it is a constant struggle to breathe.

This. Absolutely.

Sleep apnea is bad juju. People with OSA are generally the ones in our patient population that wake up dead one morning.

user
03-07-18, 18:59
+1 on APAP use.

Hoping for this to materialise.

http://www.fundairing.com/#first-ever-micro-cpap

26 Inf
03-07-18, 20:22

Hmm, I very rarely remember dreams, the few I remember involve bouncing from roof to roof on a castle like building. That being said, I was also likely to wake up fighting when disturbed, I don't recall that happening since I've been using the CPAP, but could be everybody learned to wake me up by hollering rather than touching. So, I'm guessing you hit a good diagnosis.

26 Inf
03-07-18, 20:23
I have the mask.

I didn't get along with the mask and switched to nasal cannulas.

Buckaroo
03-07-18, 20:44
I tried a CPAP and it was a miserable experience. Finally went to a new Dr after moving to Idaho and they advised me that I now need a BiPAP and that CPAP could be dangerous for me to use due to my scores. Of course my insurance company wants no part of providing me with a solution that could prevent me from having serious problems...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mr. Goodtimes
03-07-18, 21:25

I frequently have wet dreams, mostly of me being slowly strangled in my sleep.

26 Inf
03-07-18, 23:54
Okay, thanks for sharing...I think.

jpmuscle
03-08-18, 02:23
[QUOTE=Mr. Goodtimes;2606450]I frequently have wet dreams, mostly of me being slowly strangled in my sleep.

Sent from my iPhonehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/643f0c3746599ba7aef31896bc889195.jpg

Jewell
03-08-18, 09:12
I didn't get along with the mask and switched to nasal cannulas.

I may have to give that a try. I need to get something figured out.

ABNAK
03-08-18, 18:52
I may have to give that a try. I need to get something figured out.

As with any nasal device nasal pillows (the actual nomenclature) require you to breathe through your nose only. If you open your mouth the air will gush out and wake you up. Some folks can "train" themselves to do nose breathing but when you're asleep anything goes. There are chinstraps to help keep your mouth closed but they are of dubious value.

Also, nasal pillows will literally blow out of your nose if the prescribed pressure is too high. They are better suited to "lower" CPAP pressures, [from memory] less than 15cmH2O. Might even be lower than that.

While it has paid my bills for a few years I thank God I don't have sleep apnea.......I don't think I could tolerate CPAP.

26 Inf
03-08-18, 20:02
As with any nasal device nasal pillows (the actual nomenclature) require you to breathe through your nose only. If you open your mouth the air will gush out and wake you up. Some folks can "train" themselves to do nose breathing but when you're asleep anything goes. There are chinstraps to help keep your mouth closed but they are of dubious value.

The first night I used my CPAP I woke up with a dry, raw mouth and nasopharynx. It just so happened I was at the doctor's officer for an unrelated issue and the subject came up (I don't remember how). The doctor who was covering for my normal doctor was a slender, runner looking, female. She told me she loved her CPAP and that I needed a chin strap. I got one. Problem solved. Over time I quit using the chin strap, just keep mouth closed, tip of tongue on roof of mouth. I don't have the dry raw mouth thingie, and I ass-u-me that I'm not opening my mouth and letting the air blow because they never say anything when I take my SD card in quarterly, rather they tell me how splendid I'm doing.

Also, nasal pillows will literally blow out of your nose if the prescribed pressure is too high. They are better suited to "lower" CPAP pressures, [from memory] less than 15cmH2O. Might even be lower than that.

ETA: I run my strap tight to prevent that.

While it has paid my bills for a few years I thank God I don't have sleep apnea.......I don't think I could tolerate CPAP.

Not a dig on you, but it is criminal what dispensers that take TriCare and BCBS charge for supplies, and by the same token, what Tricare and BCBS will agree to pay.

They roll me for a couple hundred every six months for a (as in one) nasal pillow, tubing, a (as in one) foam filter and three little fabric filters.

TriCare pays most of it, but as far as I'm concerned they are getting raped.

SIGguy229
03-10-18, 22:29
I get mine on Monday...I've probably needed one for the last 15 years--but didn't want to have any flags and continue to deploy. Now I'm getting ready to hit the retirement button...so, it's time.