PDA

View Full Version : Polymer vs aluminum rain sections?

Collin223
03-06-18, 16:20
I want to mount a flashlight on my ar-15, the rail I bought (Midwest ind gen 3 mlok) came with a polymer rail section that would work to mount my flashlight. Should I upgrade to aluminum or stick with the polymer one? The manufacturer of the polymer one is magpul themselves. This rifle is a hard use rifle.

ggammell
03-06-18, 17:13
1. What light?

2. If you call it hard use then start with aluminum.

Collin223
03-06-18, 17:49
Tlr-1, to be more specific the rifle is for home defense and training courses.

ggammell
03-06-18, 17:52
You can always give the poly one a try. Bang it into some door frames or something. See if anything happens. Take it through a class. That’s a good way to shake things out. You’ll porobably be ok.

I asked which kind of light in case you had a scout or something I’d tell you to get a scout mount and be done with it.

corey4
03-06-18, 19:00
i have had zero issues with poly magpul rails. for a light/laser/fore grip/bipod i say rock on. whether it be a screw mount or qd mount for the accessory. the rail isn't going to just snap in half.

the only complaint i have is they are not always the same size which does not relate to reliability of the rail it self. switching an atlas bipod with an adm qd mount from one rifle to another may require an adjustment on the qd tension screw. it's not a big deal unless you forget to double check, but it is now force of habit.

ggammell
03-06-18, 20:34
I had a bad experience with a polymer rail section when adding a vertical foregrip. If you over tightened the grip mounting screw, you could bend the polymer rail section. So if it’s a load bearing rail, then definitely aluminum.

Airhasz
03-08-18, 05:18
Don’t waste your time with polymer.