PDA

View Full Version : Utah student brings bomb to school

Dist. Expert 26
03-07-18, 19:44
Since this is getting almost no media attention: ST. GEORGE, Utah – A high school student from St. George has been charged after police say he brought a homemade explosive device to Pine View High School Monday.

Wednesday, officials with Utah State Courts stated the teen was booked on charges of possession or use of a weapon of mass destruction as a first-degree felony, threat of terrorism as a third-degree felony, graffiti as a third-degree felony, and abuse of a flag as a class B misdemeanor.

http://fox13now.com/2018/03/06/st-george-high-school-student-faces-charged-after-allegedly-bringing-explosive-to-school/

I guess this doesn't play into the narrative enough to be worth talking about.

MegademiC
03-07-18, 19:50
What is the line between a weapon of mass destruction and a destructive device?
Ive been hearing that phrase used for a lot of stuff. Its losing its meaning... unless he packed a moab.

Wdit according to google, WMD is:
A chemical, biological or radioactive weapon capable of causing widespread death and destruction.

Dist. Expert 26
03-07-18, 19:54
Ive been hearing that phrase used for a lot of stuff. Its losing its meaning... unless he packed a moab.

A chemical, biological or radioactive weapon capable of causing widespread death and destruction.

Yeah, I thought that was a tad exaggerated too. Maybe if he had a VBIED, maybe, but a backpack bomb?

R6436
03-07-18, 19:57
IIRC weren't the pressure cookers used in Boston labeled as WMD's as well?

dwhitehorne
03-07-18, 20:00
It may be just the wording of the news release. I think it is also interesting that "threat of terrorism" and "graffiti" both bring the same third degree felony charge. David

26 Inf
03-07-18, 20:10
The article said he was also charged with abuse of a flag and noted that he had replaced an American flag with an isis flag.

Reading the statute, replacing one flag with another doesn't seem to be covered. Of course it is reporting, so perhaps he defaced the American flag.

SeriousStudent
03-07-18, 20:27

The first is a chow hall, the second is an MRE.

R6436
03-07-18, 20:28

Does that count Surf & Turf night?

26 Inf
03-07-18, 20:38

Does that count Surf & Turf night?

I was stationed at a Marine Barracks in the Nevada desert from 1974 to 1976. Our chow hall won the W.P.T. Hill Award for dining facility excellence the two years I was there. Surf and turf was not unusual.

And I pretty much love MRE's.

So I'm going to be forced to cast a dissenting vote.

just a scout
03-07-18, 20:56

An explosive with a charge of 4 or more oz of explosive materials.

That’s why you can even find the big model rocket engines anymore. Came about as part of the Patriot Act in 2001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kain
03-07-18, 21:09

Always knew there was something wrong with you. ;)

R6436
03-07-18, 21:12
I was stationed at a Marine Barracks in the Nevada desert from 1974 to 1976. Our chow hall won the W.P.T. Hill Award for dining facility excellence the two years I was there. Surf and turf was not unusual.

So I'm going to be forced to cast a dissenting vote.

Thank you for making me feel like the young guy again :-)

soulezoo
03-07-18, 21:18

Internet win....

soulezoo
03-07-18, 21:19

I concur

TAZ
03-07-18, 21:24
Weird. Something must not fit the narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-07-18, 22:37

Honestly, MREs aren't that bad, especially compared to what came before. My grandfather kept his bomb shelter stocked with C-Rats from the 1960s until the early 80s. Sometime in the late 70s my friends and I got into them because he was replacing them as they were approaching their expiration date.

They were pretty much worse than spam or canned chili meat from the store. He laughed at us and told us we'd never be able to eat the K rations they had during WWII.

MREs are about grocery store frozen food quality IMO and not the worst thing in the world, especially given the fact that everything comes out of a plastic bag and it's usually in a post disaster kind of situation.

I'd never order MREs at a restaurant, but if I had to go camping I'd bring some along.

LoboTBL
03-07-18, 23:23
MREs of the '80s were ok. Some were more ok than others. Chicken A La King was bottom of the barrel and suitable for the lowliest of FNG Privates. Ham and Chicken loaf could only be salvaged and made palatable with an unhealthy dose of Tabasco. At the other end of the scale, dehydrated beef or pork patties could be traded like cigarrettes or gold.

I'd have traded a can of Copenhagen for two extra MREs during SERE school.

SeriousStudent
03-07-18, 23:27
I have eaten monkeys, rats, snakes, cats, dogs, slugs, lizards, worms - just about anything that walked, crawled or flew.

I have had food poisoning four times in my life. Each time was in a military chow hall.

Pretty much speaks for itself, I think.

VIP3R 237
03-08-18, 00:04
This is a local event. I live in the school boundaries for this particular high school. A few weeks ago at another local high school He replaced the American flag with an ISIS flag and also graffitied ‘ISIS is coming’ on the side of the high school.

The article said he was also charged with abuse of a flag and noted that he had replaced an American flag with an isis flag.

Reading the statute, replacing one flag with another doesn't seem to be covered. Of course it is reporting, so perhaps he defaced the American flag.

Dist. Expert 26
03-08-18, 00:05
This is a local event. I live in the school boundaries for this particular high school. A few weeks ago at another local high school He replaced the American flag with an ISIS flag and also graffitied ISIS is coming on the side of the high school.

That's likely why the media hadn't picked up the story. Homegrown terrorist doesn't inspire people to give up their rights quite like a angry white kid with a rifle.

The_War_Wagon
03-08-18, 06:39
Ban high-capacity Mormons? :jester:

tgizzard
03-08-18, 06:55
That's likely why the media hadn't picked up the story. Homegrown terrorist doesn't inspire people to give up their rights quite like a angry white kid with a rifle.

Boom. Not much else to be said as you’ve hammered the nail squarely on its head.

26 Inf
03-08-18, 07:24

Brother Kain, if this was your first clue, you haven't been paying attention! ;)

VIP3R 237
03-08-18, 13:29
St George police released their report today, thank god it failed to detonate.

Press Release with additional information from the ongoing investigation of the attempted bombing at Pine View High School;

The events that occurred on Monday, March 5th began at 11:39 a.m. when the suspect placed the backpack containing the explosive device in the cafeteria at the high school during lunch time. The backpack was observed by several students in the area, one of whom reported the smoking backpack to a teacher at 11:45 a.m. The teacher contacted the Principal, who then informed the School Resource Officer. At 11:48 a.m. the backpack was removed from the cafeteria by the Principal and the S.R.O. The backpack was not smoking or making any noise when the S.R.O arrived. During a cursory search of the backpack the S.R.O. noticed some clothing and some burnt paper. The explosive device was not located until the bag had been moved and a more thorough search was completed. At 11:59 the S.R.O. notified his supervisor and another S.R.O. who is a member of the regional bomb unit. The Bomb Technician arrived and verified the item in the backpack appeared to be an improvised explosive device and the recommendation was made to evacuate the school. The evacuation was implemented at 12:18. An extensive search of the school, school grounds, and vehicles by officer’s and Dixie Regional Medical Center’s bomb detecting K-9 Jax, and his handler determined there were no other explosive devices.

On February 15th, there was a criminal mischief incident at Hurricane High School involving ISIS graffiti and an ISIS flag. The Hurricane Police department was not able to determine a suspect from that incident. During our follow up investigation and interviews from the attempted bombing, we learned that the person arrested for this incident is also the person responsible for the incident at Hurricane High School. That information has been relayed to the Hurricane City detectives.

There have been various statements in social media and other rumors relating to the device in the backpack that was smoking. These rumors have raised doubt on whether or not there was an actual explosive device. We again confirm to the public that the item in the backpack was an improvised explosive device (I.E.D.) that failed to function. It was designed, and placed in a specific location, at a specific time, for the purpose of spreading shrapnel in a manner that was intended to injure and/or kill as many people as possible in the vicinity of the backpack.

TAZ
03-09-18, 15:52
Any background on this asshat?

Dist. Expert 26
03-09-18, 16:07
Any background on this asshat?

This would distract from destroying the 2nd Amendment, so I doubt we'll get any. Him being a minor won't help either.