PDA

View Full Version : Input on Sun Devil U/L Receivers

daved
10-18-08, 18:44
I'm planning my first build and have been attracted to the Sun Devil lowers and uppers - CNC machined from billet - which presumably would make them more dimensionally correct and stronger than conventional forged receivers. However, I don't see much mention of them being used by more experienced builders. Am I missing something or are they just new to the market?

Thanks in advance for the input from you pros!

uscbigdawg
10-18-08, 21:10
In some earlier models they had some issues with the cuts to shape the magwells. These were fixed in what's in production/sale now though.

Great parts and they support the shooting sports!

Rich

CooperM
10-18-08, 21:25
The lower was finished very nicely, it went together very easily, and now to pick up a BCM for the upper.

Mark

Olav
10-18-08, 22:07
I put together a SD-15 for my wife and it is working out great.

I had a tour of the factory in Mesa and talked witht the owner, David Beaty, for quite some time.

Great person, great product.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/Sundevil%20AR/th_IMG_1106.jpg (http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/Sundevil%20AR/IMG_1106.jpg)

daved
10-19-08, 11:59
No question that folks using the lowers are happy campers - I'm just puzzled as to why there aren't more of them. Also, I had heard that there was an issue with the upper in that its greater external dimensions caused interference with some rail systems (DD was mentioned).

zchen
10-19-08, 15:50
I've also read that their upper cannot take Larue rails due to the anti-rotation device just like early Vltor MUR uppers(which was corrected in Vltor's later releases). I don't know why there aren't more discussions, but I suspect that because the SD receivers are made from 6061 T6 rather than 7075. Even though there isn't any proof that it is inferior in anyway.

daved
10-19-08, 16:50
Hum-m-m, that's a good thought, zchen! While it may make no practical difference in durability, reliability or function, 7076 is apparently much stronger than 6061. Perhaps an upper and lower by Mega (forged 7076, then CNC machined to spec) might make more sense and save a few bucks. Additionally, I haven't heard of any problems with mounting rails on the Mega upper.

C4IGrant
10-19-08, 17:06
I'm planning my first build and have been attracted to the Sun Devil lowers and uppers - CNC machined from billet - which presumably would make them more dimensionally correct and stronger than conventional forged receivers. However, I don't see much mention of them being used by more experienced builders. Am I missing something or are they just new to the market?

Thanks in advance for the input from you pros!

What barrel are you using? If it has an M4 barrel extension then you will not be able to use the SD upper. This is also the reason why we do not use them.

C4

daved
10-19-08, 17:34
What barrel are you using? If it has an M4 barrel extension then you will not be able to use the SD upper. This is also the reason why we do not use them.

C4

Thanks for that insight, Grant. I had planned on an M4 extension. This was for a 6.8 build, using a 16" stainless match barrel, prob WOA though I haven't quite decided.

uscbigdawg
10-19-08, 21:29
More people don't use the "nice" stuff 'cause they don't want to spend the money. Think about how many pretty rifles you see on other sites (ARFCOM) with no dents, dings, scratches, etc. Same folks that think that a couple of hundred rounds a year is "training".

Rich

C4IGrant
10-20-08, 09:02
Thanks for that insight, Grant. I had planned on an M4 extension. This was for a 6.8 build, using a 16" stainless match barrel, prob WOA though I haven't quite decided.

That is what I figured. You are better off then with either the LT Stealth (M4) or the VLTOR MUR.

C4

markm
10-20-08, 09:27
Think about how many pretty rifles you see on other sites (ARFCOM) with no dents, dings, scratches, etc. Same folks that think that a couple of hundred rounds a year is "training".

There's a few here. :rolleyes:

There were some guys in another thread here talking about how to wrap your rifle to protect is when moving it around and taking it out of the safe and such.

Good Grief.

uscbigdawg
10-20-08, 22:47
Amen brotha! My rifles are scratched to hell and I love it!

Rich

zchen
10-20-08, 22:59
I'm getting flash backs to the other site where people discussed how to protect shell deflectors from being scratched...:p

markm
10-21-08, 08:29
Years back there was a guy on TOS who actually put some kind of black tape on his mag bodies so he wouldn't harm the finish on the inside of the mag well. I saw the pics but didn't save them.

Even the goobers over there were making fun of this guy.

eternal24k
10-25-08, 22:08
Any body have any pics of their colored anodizing? I want an OD set and they have not emailed me back.