PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather training

Steve
06-15-06, 22:49
Guy's remember to drink up, and dont forget the semi salty snacks.

I must be jinked,everytime i train with Pat it gets hot out! al llast week it was in the 70's now he coem to town and bamm! 90.

but on serious note Hydrate, get some gookinaid(better than the other sports drinks out there in my book) it works faster and start to hydrate a day or two before class.....

John Chapman
06-18-06, 22:58
Gookinaid is the heat. Get it....the heat.....

Sorry

VA_Dinger
06-19-06, 00:14
My top three suggestions would be:

(1.)Pre-hydrate before the class. Waiting until the class starts is really too late for proper hydration
(2.) Water - drink it during every break. You have to replace those lost fluids.
(3.) Under Armor shirts - They just plain work. LAV gave me one during a 109 degree day last summer and it was a like a gift from the Gods. I will be wearing one during every single warm weather class.

baffle Stack
06-19-06, 00:47
My top three suggestions would be:

(1.)Pre-hydrate before the class. Doing it during the class is really too late for proper hydration
(2.) Water - drink it during every break. You have to replace those lost fluids.
(3.) Under Armor shirts - They just plain work. LAV gave me one during a 109 degree day last summer and it was a like a gift from the Gods. I will be wearing one during every single warm weather class.

UnderArmor keeps you cool? I would have never guessed that. I have seen my football player friend wear these often but I always assumed it was to show off his muscles. I guess it’s true what they say about assuming.

LukeMacGillie
06-19-06, 12:43
I drank the coolaid on UA, wore them for awhile but no more. The Loose gear abraids my skin, the muscle mapping irritates my underarms. Plus if your enemy decides to kill you with fire:D , well youve got a UA shirt melted to you.

UnderArmor keeps you cool? I would have never guessed that. I have seen my football player friend wear these often but I always assumed it was to show off his muscles. I guess it’s true what they say about assuming.

VA_Dinger
06-19-06, 12:51

I wear the "Loose Fit" t-shirts and love them. The material breathes so you stay cooler over the coarse of the day. They also dry back out very quickly. Nothing sucks worse than wearing a sweat soaked shirt for 6-10 hours. I have seen them completely dry out during a fifteen-minute break if there is a slight breeze. Like I said, I consider them to be "Required Equipment" in any hot weather class.

ShortyB
06-19-06, 12:53
Last year with Pat at Quantico it got up to 105 on the range.
Drink a lot of water the night before. This helps to hydrate your cells.

DevilDog
06-19-06, 15:58
Something I learned during my running-racing days - acclimate yourself.

If you have a class comming up that is going to be hot, get outside on hot days and spend some time in the heat. It will help you to learn good hydration habits and what does and does not work clothing wise for you.

The more you do this, the less the heat will fatigue you and more importantly, reduce the chance that you lose your concentration and do something unsafe.

Hobbes
06-19-06, 17:20
Once I bought some non-cotton running shirts, I can never run in cotton again. 3 mile run, marathon, or field op its under armor (or something equivalent) for me. It keeps sweat off you, and keeps you nice and cool.

If price is a concern, Target carries Champion brand running gear that is actually pretty nice. I picked up a $10 shirt and wore it for a marathon and it performed very well actually. If you have to look cool though they might not work, only seen them in blue and white and maybe gray (no marpat or tigerstripe ;) )

I also always wear a camelback when in the field, wouldn't go without one personally.

Resq47
06-19-06, 20:58
I try to like the UA stuff, have the loose/cold/heat gear and one of the polos. The polos rock, but I always get a widespread heat rash from the UA stuff, polos included. Nothing noticeable after 8-10hrs use, but 12-24 and it's annoying. I don't have the same trouble with capilene, and I'm 100% sold on Duluth Trading poly boxers...

I can do without needing three men and a boy to get out of a shirt (heat gear).

easy610
06-20-06, 14:15
Another vote for that "type" of tee. I started wearing the knock-off UA from Wally-World and they really work well...and for only $9.88 a shirt. Try one out.

HEY RESQ47 Whats going on!?!

Resq47
06-20-06, 14:55
Howdy Easy! Yeah, slowly getting things back in order from the weekend...

I'll add that I wore collared polos for the three-day last weekend. Worked ok, but of course I was in the more durable (thicker) one when we got wet for half the day. The UA would have been better for that day instead of TD1, but the car will dry out eventually.

ETA - I mixed up 2gal of gookinaid in the morning for the cooler, with 2gal of straight water (for camelbaks) as well. Two of use were using that cooler and I think we averaged 2 gallons of intake give or take, with a couple extra nalgenes and 3L thermobaks full at the beginning of the day. TD1 ended with McD's, extra salt on the fries ;)

QuietShootr
07-06-06, 19:18
Yeah, I use the generic WallyWorld UA copies. They work just fine for me.

Pat_Rogers
07-06-06, 19:55
There are several lengthy threads on this at 10-8.
I am big on Gookinaid. I am big on UA.
However, if you are in suck ass physical shape to begin with, neither will be of much use.
Also, if you don't bring fluid to the line, you will fade rapidly. I prefer (strongly) a camelbak. ACLU lawyers may not like them, but then again, i don't like THEM.
If no Camelbak, a yuppie canteen (water bottle) in your dump pouch will do.
In most classes, we get a number of sedentary type people who overestimate their stamina. The net result is that we have to stop the class and have a heart to heart talk, let them relax in the shade, and otherwise burn up time better spent in training.
Eat.
Drink.

My classes are moderately strenous. You can sink, or you can swim, but as Pat H says, you don't wanna' be "that guy".

I have several people on my NFE list because they wouldn't drink and became a problem. They will never be back. We cannot afford to have stupid people with guns. Life is hard enough as it is.

QuietShootr
07-06-06, 20:20
There are several lengthy threads on this at 10-8.
However, if you are in suck ass physical shape to begin with, neither will be of much use.
Also, if you don't bring fluid to the line, you will fade rapidly. I prefer (strongly) a camelbak. ACLU lawyers may not like them, but then again, i don't like THEM.
If no Camelbak, a yuppie canteen (water bottle) in your dump pouch will do.
In most classes, we get a number of sedentary type people who overestimate their stamina. The net result is that we have to stop the class and have a heart to heart talk, let them relax in the shade, and otherwise burn up time better spent in training.
Eat.
Drink.

My classes are moderately strenous. You can sink, or you can swim, but as Pat H says, you don't wanna' be "that guy".

I have several people on my NFE list because they wouldn't drink and became a problem. They will never be back. We cannot afford to have stupid people with guns. Life is hard enough as it is.

Well said. Have you ever considered letting the class do peer evals at the end of every day? :D

Pat_Rogers
07-06-06, 20:23
hah! That would be interesting. There would certainly be fewer people around.
Generally, and as you know- mostly good people from different backgrounds who have fun together.
Of course, there is always "that guy" who has the camo pattern de jour, all the whiz bang stuff, and brings a pistol that shoots 17" low.....

QuietShootr
07-06-06, 20:28
Hehehehehe.....a fat, bald guy in a Lamborghini is still a fat bald guy.... but I'm working on being a nicer guy this year - that's my summer resolution :-)

Submariner
07-09-06, 06:41

Last week I did my fourth carbine class with Pat at balmy Boone County. I was in the worst shape of any class I have taken from him. "Nice ass, Paul" Twice. A clue!

During the "qual" on TD3 I began to slip over from learning and applying to struggling to survive the experience. Four good body shots and a brain shot. On another target, not mine. These are misses. It got worse. Hydrating and eating a bit throughout the day (rather than a zzz-burger and fries for lunch) wasn't enough.

I have five more children to take through classes with Pat. If Dad can't do it, why should they? This requires some serious lifestyle (deathstyle?) changes on my part. More exercise, less calories. Fat guys can shoot. Fighting is another story...

Pat_Rogers
07-09-06, 08:18
Recognizing the problem is the first step.....

"deathstyle?"...I like that as an adjective, but not a way of living.
My Dad said that you start dying the day you stop living.
Carrying around that excess weight simply cannot be good for you.
We'll look forward to next year, and see if you can match Nathan's performance!

Aubrey
07-10-06, 12:15
I have five more children to take through classes with Pat. If Dad can't do it, why should they? This requires some serious lifestyle (deathstyle?) changes on my part. More exercise, less calories. Fat guys can shoot. Fighting is another story...

Brewing your own beer is similar to loading/reloading your own ammo, it allows you to do more for the same financial expenditure. One of the disadvantages of brewing your own beer is that it allows you to drink more beer (and intake more calories).

Intake calores > calories expended = "Nice ass."

Submariner
07-10-06, 15:35
Brewing your own beer is similar to loading/reloading your own ammo, it allows you to do more for the same financial expenditure. One of the disadvantages of brewing your own beer is that it allows you to drink more beer (and intake more calories).

Intake calores > calories expended = "Nice ass."

Hey, Aubrey, is that thermodynamics?

Bread is the staff of life. Man does not live by bread alone... Beer = Liquid Bread. :D Life without good beer ain't livin'.

I have cut back to one/day (half the Royal Navy ration) or a glass of red wine. If it's good beer, one is enough. My level of physical activity is way up since the Fourth. No more (or very little) fructose corn sweeteners. My chiropractor says that stuff really adds pounds. She also says splend and aspartme do bad things to the brain. So, I'll stick to beer.

Petey
07-12-06, 08:19
In this months Runners World magazine there are several articles on hot weather training. Worth the reading.

Aubrey
07-12-06, 11:52
Hey, Aubrey, is that thermodynamics?

Bread is the staff of life. Man does not live by bread alone... Beer = Liquid Bread. :D Life without good beer ain't livin'.

I have cut back to one/day (half the Royal Navy ration) or a glass of red wine. If it's good beer, one is enough. My level of physical activity is way up since the Fourth. No more (or very little) fructose corn sweeteners. My chiropractor says that stuff really adds pounds. She also says splend and aspartme do bad things to the brain. So, I'll stick to beer.

Sub,
Kudos to you for recognizing a need and having the resolve to make changes. Here's an anecdote that you may enjoy...

As a friend of mine ("Joe") neared another big birthday, he thought he would make an effort to clean up his act and lead a more healthy life. So he recently picked a new primary care physician at the VA, an old guy that he thought would identify with his stage of life. After two visits and all the exhaustive lab tests, he said Joe was doing "fairly well" for his age.

A little concerned about that comment, Joe couldn't resist asking him, "So you think I'll live to be 90?"

He looked at Joe's chart and said, "You don't smoke or drink a lot ... even beer or wine."

"Oh no," Joe replied. "I'm not doing drugs anymore either."

Then he asked, "Do you like big rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs running with hot sauce?"

Joe said, "No, I know that all that red meat is very unhealthy!"

"Do you spend a lot of time in the outdoors shooting, hunting, or fishing?"

"No, I would like to do some of that again, but I don't seem to now," Joe said.

He asked, "Do you take any gambles, like driving fast, engage in dangerous sports or have a lot of wild sex?"

No," Joe said. "I don't do any of those kind of things anymore."

He looked up at Joe and said, "Then why do you give a damn?"

JLM
07-21-06, 03:17
Yeah, I use the generic WallyWorld UA copies. They work just fine for me.

Hrm, where are they stashed in the store? Sporting goods or somewhere else?

KevinB
07-21-06, 04:05
I like the 5.11 T's a lot better that the UA one -- they pill less. However running them operationally is becoming unsound, there are some new Nomex/Aramid wicking ones on the market now.
http://massif.com/nomex_clothing/cool_knit_t-shirt.php
I have no first hand knowledge of them - I ordered a few - but sent them to my parents as I am leaving here in a bit. One of my buddies has a few and says they are GTG.

I love camelbacks -- but I keep the yuppie Nalgene's onhand too (much easier to measure water intake with them - and use the camleback while on the line etc.