PDA

View Full Version : California hostage standoff by man with ‘assault rifle’

VARIABLE9
03-09-18, 14:44
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5483605/Man-armed-assault-rifle-takes-hostages-veterans-home.html

BREAKING NEWS: Man 'armed with an assault rifle and wearing body armor takes three hostages inside the largest veteran's home in the US'
Police and SWAT teams responded to hostage situation north of Napa on Friday
Man wearing a bullet proof vest and armed with assault rifle took hostages
The gunman, 36, is believed to be part of a program for traumatized military vets
Veterans Home in Yountville has been in lockdown since 10:40am local time

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5483605/Man-armed-assault-rifle-takes-hostages-veterans-home.html#ixzz59HpjWi9X
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

R6436
03-09-18, 14:48
Just told a friend back on Monday that I wouldn't be surprised if a "vet" supposedly did something stupid with an "assault rifle" before the month was out. Gotta' make sure we're all perceived as unstable and shouldn't be allowed to have our firearms after all.

Alex V
03-09-18, 14:50
But you can't have an assault rifle in California...

R6436
03-09-18, 14:59
But you can't have an assault rifle in California...

Sssshhhh... that doesn't fit the narrative Alex.

Seriously tho, too many people I know confuse "shouldn't" with "can't". I keep pointing out to them that a sign does not physically prevent me from bringing anything into an area its posted by.

And yes, I realize that 99.9% of the people on this site are not the type who would confuse such things.

Sam
03-09-18, 15:06
I hope the CA police don't adopt the Broward response policy.

SWAT moving toward a location on foot.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-09-18, 16:17
Wow, and old-school hostage and demands scenario with a crazy guy. They are going to have to bring out a detective from the 70s to deal with it.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-09-18, 16:37
Wow, and old-school hostage and demands scenario with a crazy guy. They are going to have to bring out a detective from the 70s to deal with it.

He better ask for some pizza and a fully fueled helicopter if we are going old school.

Kain
03-09-18, 16:43
I hope the CA police don't adopt the Broward response policy.

SWAT moving toward a location on foot.

Wasn't it the LAPD that told their officers to flee if they took fire a couple years back?

flenna
03-09-18, 18:09
How about a nice game of solitaire? Queen of hearts.....

VARIABLE9
03-09-18, 18:16
Better bring your dogs inside and check your fire extinguishers. Via CNN:
The FBI has deployed a SWAT team to Yountville, spokesperson Katherine Zackel said. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said via Twitter it is also responding.

SteyrAUG
03-09-18, 18:55
Well when he runs out of ammo just charge him while he tries to top off his bullet button equipped magazine.

Should be easy peasy.

duece71
03-09-18, 19:16
Assault rifles in CA???? No way! Must be a mistake.

R6436
03-09-18, 19:19
Assault rifles in CA???? No way! Must be a mistake.

Well they can't admit it was "featureless".

On second thought, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Would give them a perfect example of how their ban/registration was useless... which would be a good opportunity for them to try an out right ban of semi autos.

BrigandTwoFour
03-09-18, 20:15

On second thought, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Would give them a perfect example of how their ban/registration was useless... which would be a good opportunity for them to try an out right ban of semi autos.

Oh you better believe a complete ban on all semi-auto centerfire rifles is coming. There have been elements pushing it for years.

duece71
03-09-18, 22:17

Agreed, the state could spin it as “feature-full” and therefore why not just get rid of them all no matter what the configuration in one fell swoop.

CGSteve
03-09-18, 23:22
News just said he was a veteran that was booted from a program there. Made it sound like a grudge/motive for his actions. He killed three nurses/techs and then himself.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-10-18, 00:53
Three women and the gunman killed (himself). THey seem to not know when it happened. What a shame all around. It sounds like it was during a party for workers that were leaving.

Averageman
03-10-18, 01:04
When are we going to learn the lesson about "Gun Free Zones?"

flenna
03-10-18, 06:19
When are we going to learn the lesson about "Gun Free Zones?"

We arent. We are working towards a "gun free country" , or at least gun free for the law abiding citizens.

1_click_off
03-10-18, 07:58
Sad situation. However, CA might need to look at raising the purchase age to 40.

Sam
03-10-18, 08:48
So horrible. Victims did nothing to deserve this. Again, a sick individual ruined innocent lives. Reminds me of the Chris Kyle murder.

joeg26er
03-10-18, 15:07
Sad situation. However, CA might need to look at raising the purchase age to 40.

and ban bump stocks or have they already? Maybe ban any firearms that are "dark" colored and only allow bright pink or neon green colors? Then ban all "toy" firearms so people don't get confused. Then ban dark spray paint.

but whatever they ban, CA should never ever look into causation or prevention on the human level. It's always about the objects. Evil evil objects.

In seriousness, Prayers for the families affected by this tragedy

VARIABLE9
03-11-18, 10:16
I am really surprised the left did not run with this further and plaster it all over the front page. It has basically disappeared as news it seems (which as unfortunate as it was an event, and my sorrows for the victims) which I think is the best way to handle these events...

There is however this gem on CNN dot com right now "Trump on Maxine Waters: She is 'very low IQ' ..."

R6436
03-11-18, 11:32
I am really surprised the left did not run with this further and plaster it all over the front page. It has basically disappeared as news it seems (which as unfortunate as it was an event, and my sorrows for the victims) which I think is the best way to handle these events...

There is however this gem on CNN dot com right now "Trump on Maxine Waters: She is 'very low IQ' ..."

I'm on vacation and off the Media grid for a bit, are you saying they dropped what happened from the news cycle already? I thought it was odd when CBS had live video available for affiliates but didn't take it as a special report across the board, but figured at the time it was because they didn't know what type of weapon was being used. Also thought it was odd back on Thursday when the other two networks were covering Trump's press conference but CBS was airing normal afternoon programming. Something is up, and probably not a good something.

VARIABLE9
03-11-18, 13:03
I'm on vacation and off the Media grid for a bit, are you saying they dropped what happened from the news cycle already? I thought it was odd when CBS had live video available for affiliates but didn't take it as a special report across the board, but figured at the time it was because they didn't know what type of weapon was being used. Also thought it was odd back on Thursday when the other two networks were covering Trump's press conference but CBS was airing normal afternoon programming. Something is up, and probably not a good something.

Yes basically I am surprised all the Parkland, assault rifle, right wingers, Las Vegas gunman, high capacity assault clips, news stories have disappeared - and that the California story was in the headline cycle for about 6 hours. I am speculating of course, but it seems the Parkland thing mightve backlashed them a bit - the scripted questions, using kids for headlines, maybe even it not being a full fledged 5.56/.223 (I read that here), et cetera.

flenna
03-11-18, 13:10
Yes basically I am surprised all the Parkland, assault rifle, right wingers, Las Vegas gunman, high capacity assault clips, news stories have disappeared - and that the California story was in the headline cycle for about 6 hours. I am speculating of course, but it seems the Parkland thing mightve backlashed them a bit - the scripted questions, using kids for headlines, maybe even it not being a full fledged 5.56/.223 (I read that here), et cetera.

We will see a revitalization on the March 14th play hookey day when the MDA/Soros/BLM/ACLU funded young communists march on Washington.

R6436
03-11-18, 13:31

I have very, very limited experience with 5.56/.223 being fired indoors, but even from cell phone video I thought the gunshots sounded "off" to be an AR in that caliber. I'm probably wrong, as I said I very limited experience with them indoors with those types of interior walls.

Six hours does seem very short, especially considering it could have been used to play up the "disarm veterans" line. You may very well be right about backlash.

I would be surprised if flenna isn't correct about things picking up again on March 14th. Given things done in the past to further an agenda, I totally would not be surprised if there was at least one shooting into a walk-out/march so they could gain some more support for bans/restrictions/etc. Yes, at this point I tend to expect the worst out of some people.

VARIABLE9
03-11-18, 13:31
We will see a revitalization on the March 14th play hookey day when the MDA/Soros/BLM/ACLU funded young communists march on Washington.
Truth, I figure the low profile news cycle might be so that they could go full retard with the rally 'news'.

SteveS
03-13-18, 20:51
You will as with all the other shooters find them doped up with prescribed SSRI inhibitors.