PDA

View Full Version : Military gear advice needed

10MMGary
10-18-08, 22:19
My Son is Corporal in the Marines and is doing his second tour in Iraq. First tour was crazy hot, this time it is evidently getting cold and really cold at night. He wants a couple of balaclava hoods. He is a 25MM gunner on a LAV and wears a communication helmet, so they need to be as thin as possible. I am hoping some of you guys who have been there and done that could give some advice as to brands and sources. He also wants/needs some good quality cold weather socks. As it stands now I am leaning towards Under Armour brand sold by bass pro shops. In regards to it not being USMC issued gear, no problem. His CO is good with his men getting what they need however they can(within reason):D. Thanks in advance for and advice or tips.
http://photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/amarineinthemaking/websize/DSC00329.JPG

Bushytale
10-18-08, 22:33
Some of the M/C riders I know use silk balaclavas for warmth and to fit easily under helmets as they are very thin. Check M/C sources. A well stocked shop should carry them. Hope your sons tour is uneventful and he returns safely. Best wishes to him.

rykyard
10-18-08, 22:36
Tad gear merino wool products are good to go for a base layer and the neck gaitor/watch-cap combo is more versatile than a balaclava. Thin, moisture wicking, fire resistant and with low infrared signature.

The price is steep, though tadgear is currently running sales on the base layer. http://www.tadgear.com

As for socks, there are any number of good brands for cool/cold weather socks.

Another option in Zensah, http://www.zensah.com/tactical.html they have a FR line.

Spend a few minutes looking through the soldier's systems site, they cover the above and many other options:

http://www.soldiersystems.net/

SeriousStudent
10-18-08, 23:37
Smartwool socks are very warm, comfortable and well made. I really like them with a set of polypro liners. The Corps may not like the polypro liners - they are dangerous in a fire.

Please forward our thanks to your son for his service to our country during wartime. May he and his fellow Marines return home safely and quickly. We will add him to our prayers.

Dozer
10-19-08, 09:25
Stay away from UA since it is not allowed outside the wire because of its tendency to melt when under fire. There is quite a bit of FR gear out in the market that you can choose from. Good luck.

S/F

Cold Zero
10-19-08, 09:34
Potomac field gear makes a Fire rated very thin balaclava in coyote that should do the trick.

As for socks take a look at Bridgedale, or one other the many models from Smart Wool, the light hiker will likely do and a liner underneath will aid in keeping his feet warm and dry.

Take a look at Simpson Auto racing clothing if he wants a higher fire rated socks, gloves, hoody, long underwear or the like.

Thank him for his service.

JSantoro
10-19-08, 22:07
10MM, I come from LAR like your son, and I know exactly where he's going. While it's not Canada-cold in Anbar during the winter (30s, worst case, generally), the wind makes for it being cold enough to suck. Sitting in a giant heat sink like an armored vehicle doesn't help. I know this, because I've done Battle Griffin in Norway, too.

OR and Mountain HardWear both make windstopper balaclavas, and can be ordered from REI. The windstopper part is the most important. A gaiter for his neck, too, though a Nomex one is usually issued with a scarf of the same material as a part of his FROG issue. Be certain that he gets a Nomex balaclava to wear over the insulator stuff, whatever he gets, for the sake of fire retardance requirements.

He'll need to loosen up his CVC helmet. The Vic-3 helmets are made to adjust for this, so fit shouldn't be a problem unless he has a melon the size of a basketball.

Smartwool and Woolrich merino wool socks have worked for me and my crews very well. If your son is wearing the issue Gote-Tex boots, and/or doesn't like wearing particularly thick socks, InGenius socks by Wigwam are pretty good, too. Forget about sock liners, especially the synthetic ones; they stink to high heaven (no matter what it says on the label), especially in the confines of a LAV-25. You don't need air freshener with those things, you need a priest.

The Corps is now issuing the boots for which my Riverine unit acted as the test-bed company. They are made by Danner, with a Gore-Tex liner, and they have heel-and-toe caps made of some sort of synthetic material. The tag on the inside of mine calls them the Mt Cold Weather Boot. I don't have the NSN, but the Cage Code for them is 63887. I dunked my feet all along the Euphrates from Ramadi to Al Qaim during the winter of '06-'07, and those boots are hands-down the best water resistant and insulating boots I've ever worn.

Which LAR Bn is he from? I can tell you exactly where to go based on that.

10MMGary
10-19-08, 23:35
Thanks to everyone for the advice and links. It is going to help a lot. Riverine he is a member of the 1st LAR BN Bravo CO. Being he is a FL boy all of his young life he gets cold easily:D. Heck even SoCal winters took some getting used to for him. Now however he loves SoCal, I could be wrong but I have a feeling it has something to do with female scenery more than the climate.

USMCoZ
10-19-08, 23:46
First off tell your son I said Semper Fi and keep up the strong work. I served with 1st and 2nd LAR from 97 to 06 and did 3 tours. Under armor works great and they make face mask as well, thats what I used my lasst time over there. Also a good black or brown ski style face mask will work great. Anything that will break the wind is what he needs so look for non porous fabrics. Also if he hasnt gotten one yet pick him up a Shemagh from blackwater thing was great. Another option that I used was a friend of mine sent me a motorcycle face/neck warmer that was 1/4 fleece. I cant remember the name of them but if you check out the back of any motorcycle mag there advertised in there, it had a funny name but it worked great because it was big enough to cover anything and basicaly you look like a ninja lol. Hope this all helps and let your son know he makes more than you proud!

Mac679
10-20-08, 00:16
Try here:

http://military.outdoorresearch.com/site/browse/Headwear/Flame-Resistant.html

JSantoro
10-20-08, 00:57
Riverine he is a member of the 1st LAR BN Bravo CO.

Tell him that there is an REI at the shopping center on Leucadia Blvd in Encinitas. Exit 43 off of the 5. They'll have all the snivel gear he'll need.