PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a M&P9 Compact IWB Holster?

Olav
10-18-08, 22:31
Appreciate any input regarding a great IWB holster for a M&P 9 Compact.

I saw a review of the Minotaur MTAC Holster and that look like a possibility.

Thanks!

John_Wayne777
10-18-08, 22:45
I'm fond of my Blade-Tech IWB holster. I've always found it to be very comfortable and it conceals nicely.

Raven's modular holster also works well as an IWB when configured with the rubber loops that I prefer on my holsters.

Personally I would suggest that you consider buying a holster for a full-sized M&P, as it will work with the compact versions as well as the full sized ones.

maximus83
10-19-08, 00:09
I just bought a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have a thread about it here:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=20429

I would not know from personal experience, but some folks who have owned both the Comp-Tacs and the Crossbreeds have said that both are great holsters, are roughly equal, and worth getting. If I were you, I would put the Crossbreed Supertuck and the Mtac at the top of your list, go to their websites, read up on them, and then make up your mind based on the features you want, etc. You probably won't go wrong with either of these.

Sam
10-19-08, 09:38
Raven Concealment Phantom is available with rubber loops or kydex clips to wear as IWB. The holster in the picture below is actually for an M&P but I used the Glock 19 to show compatibility.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/T-1_005.jpg

www.ravenconcealment.com

The Custom Carry Concepts Adjustable Cant holster is a close copy of the Comp Tac CTAC, but less expensive. It doesn't mean that Rich sacrificed any quality. It is a tuckable holster.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/kydex-iwb_002.jpg

Link to website:

http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=3

BH1
10-19-08, 20:55
Raven Concealment Phantom is available with rubber loops or kydex clips to wear as IWB. The holster in the picture below is actually for an M&P but I used the Glock 19 to show compatibility. [

From what I can gather from reading previous posts it seemed like the rubber loops were favored over the kydex clips. Did I get the right idea on that?

John_Wayne777
10-19-08, 21:39
It's a matter of personal preference, but I definitely prefer the rubber loops to the other options.

b-mac72
10-19-08, 21:43
+1 on the Crossbreed Supertuck.

RogerinTPA
10-19-08, 22:09
Appreciate any input regarding a great IWB holster for a M&P 9 Compact.

I saw a review of the Minotaur MTAC Holster and that look like a possibility.

Thanks!

I have a M&P9c and the MTAC. It's a pretty comfortable setup for me but sometimes the plastic loops pop off the belt when getting out of the car or a chair. It's functional but I am looking for some leather though.

ToddG
10-20-08, 09:45
It's a matter of personal preference, but I definitely prefer the rubber loops to the other options.

+1 ... kydex clips break. Maybe not during calm everyday wear or playing on the range, but get the butt of your gun snagged while bailing out of a car, or have someone try to wrestle your gun away from you during some DT work, and it will quickly prove itself unsuitable.

Rubber loops are much better than bendable kydex clips. I also like a solid kydex belt loop, which is what I use on my mag pouches and the kydex holster I use (when I'm using a kydex holster).

DarrinD
10-21-08, 09:20
For leather, and if you don't mind a rediculous wait, I have not found better holsters than Milt Sparks. For my M&P9c, I use a MS Versa Max II.

For Kydex, I hear the Looper is fantastic, and doesn't use kydex clips.

Caliber0
10-21-08, 10:53
For leather, and if you don't mind a rediculous wait, I have not found better holsters than Milt Sparks. For my M&P9c, I use a MS Versa Max.

For Kydex, I hear the Looper is fantastic, and doesn't use kydex clips.

I have tried many of the holsters listed and I'm back to wearing the VM II...
It's worth the wait.

Olav
10-21-08, 12:47
I have tried many of the holsters listed and I'm back to wearing the VM II...
It's worth the wait.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

ToddG
10-21-08, 13:53
Personally, I have never liked the VMII (or the similar CTAC from Comp-Tac). I know both are very popular, but I found them less comfortable and no better at actually concealing the gun. YMMV, obviously.

Caliber0
10-21-08, 13:57
Yeah it kills me the amount of holsters each of us must go through before finding the one that works. Everyone is different.

I must say though, that I do have an MTAC also and it is a very comfortable holster... I just didn't like the kydex leather hybrid.

Gingerkid
10-21-08, 14:07
+1 for the Raven... Here is mine on the belt. Keep in mind I'm a little dude.

I personally like the ease of the kydex clips.. slip on and slip off. Plus, the overall design of the Raven is damn near perfect in my opinion. Just the right thickness kydex, just a little bit of cant, a little bit of pre-curve to the body, etc, etc. I'm really happy with the Raven if you can't tell.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GingerKidPhotos/S5000803.jpg

ToddG
10-21-08, 14:10
I personally like the ease of the kydex clips.. slip on and slip off.

And if convenience is a higher priority than durability and an ability to keep the holster secure in the event of a gun grab, they're great.

The easier it is for you to take your holster off your belt, the easier it is for someone else to take your holster off your belt.

We all have our priorities. If there was One True Answer none of us would have a closet full of unused holsters.

DarrinD
10-21-08, 15:03
Personally, I have never liked the VMII

That's because you're in top shape and not a fatty. You do like the Exec, no?

My gut likes the luxurious comfort that the soft leathery VMII provides. . . . . okay, I liked it 40 pounds ago and agree more importantly and perhaps more candidly would urge others to reconsider holsters with clips. I've had and seen so many snap and break off in training courses running gun retention drills that I'd rather stuff my pistol in my front right pocket than carry in a kydex holster with clips. I will concede that if a clip holster is kept concealed it probably will never be an issue. . . . but after about 8 holsters I decided "probably" was not good enough for certain things related to my self defense.

As for the concealability of the VMII, I agree that there are other holsters that are slightly better, perhaps because the VMII uses an FBI cant (unless otherwise requested)?

Olav
10-21-08, 18:34
That's because you're in top shape and not a fatty. You do like the Exec, no?

So, what's a good IWB for an in shape athletic person?

We all have our priorities. If there was One True Answer none of us would have a closet full of unused holsters.

Also, can everyone send me their unused IWB holsters that are sitting in the closet so I can evaluate them?

Thanks!! :p

ToddG
10-21-08, 19:03
So, what's a good IWB for an in shape athletic person?

Beats me. Contrary to Darrin's ... uh ... 'vision' ... of me, I would be much more helpful recommending a good IWB for someone who eats at McDonald's three times a week. :cool:

Though in all seriousness, any good IWB should work for you. It usually has more to do with personal taste, the shape of your bone structure, your usual mode of dress, etc.

DarrinD
10-21-08, 21:50
Though in all seriousness, any good IWB should work for you. It usually has more to do with personal taste, the shape of your bone structure, your usual mode of dress, etc.

I meant that the Sparks VMII, like other good IWB holsters out there, is more comfortable for me than kydex holsters and does not move around on my belt AT ALL. Though perhaps a tad slower than kydex, there is something to be said about leather holsters and I returned to mine about 4 months ago and have no plans to go back, except maybe for my IDPA pistol.

Alpha Sierra
10-22-08, 19:48
Cochise Defender from K&D Holsters (http://www.kdholsters.com).

I have some traditional leather snap loops on order to replace the clips because I want the holster to ridge higher than what is possible with the these clips to make it easier to get a good grip on the draw.

Still, this holster is perfectly fine the way it comes, it is supremely comfortable, and will make a full size M&P disappear under an untucked polo or heavy T shirt.

http://shutter02.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/19/001/74/7F/E8/B8/PsXnatoBpJXudT+BHLdmhwHJJ+669bVW0300.jpg