PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 6920 barrel

Walker_Texasranger
03-12-18, 20:11
I know this is a common topic but I’m sending a 6920 upper to ADCO to cut to 14.7”. Should I add a step to it like the factory barrel in 16” configuration or no? I guess it’s jusg a cosmetic thing unless running certain muzzle devices?

Interrupt
03-12-18, 20:32
I know this isn't what you're asking, but you might consider Specialized Armament Warehouse for cutting down your barrel. They've done all the barrel work on my Colts and they do an amazing job.

vicious_cb
03-12-18, 21:27
I know this is a common topic but I’m sending a 6920 upper to ADCO to cut to 14.7”. Should I add a step to it like the factory barrel in 16” configuration or no? I guess it’s jusg a cosmetic thing unless running certain muzzle devices?

You cut that barrel!

#OneLess

Walker_Texasranger
03-13-18, 07:22
Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

Are you referring to the m4 cut?

No. I’m referring to the step in the barrel right after the muzzle device. If you cut the barrel it’ll cut off that step. However, they can reprofile the barrel if you want and add that step back.

ETA: I guess that is the M4 cut?

Double tap.

Matt45648
03-14-18, 04:06
Are you referring to the m4 cut?

MegademiC
03-14-18, 06:56
Now that you bring it up, anyone know why that step is there?

HeruMew
03-14-18, 08:09
I've seen some youtube videos lately where an angle grinder and chop saw worked well.

Best news is, you can put the barrel/upper on a rifle lower, and as long as you say you'r doing the recording for the Childrunz, you won't have any trouble...

In all seriousness, it's not needed. I believe the M4 cutouts were all for mounting M203s; however, I am far from the SME on this topic..

EChryst
03-14-18, 12:26
M4 Cutouts are absolutely for mounting M203s

Walker_Texasranger
03-14-18, 12:43
That’s not what we are talking about. Do you see how in that pic the barrel is slightly thinner right after the muzzle device? Here.

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/m4-700-x-700-muzzle-step/

MistWolf
03-14-18, 13:51
The step serves no practical purpose.

Todd.K
03-14-18, 20:07
Now that you bring it up, anyone know why that step is there?

For an OPS INC collar.

Clint
03-14-18, 22:09
For an OPS INC collar.

Yup. M4 collar.
http://aesuppressors.com/mounts/

http://aesuppressors.com/images/m4drawing.jpg

MegademiC
03-14-18, 22:36
For an OPS INC collar.

Ha, thanks! I always wondered but never asked.

Walker_Texasranger
03-15-18, 07:16
Thanks guys. Still torn if I want to have the step added to keep it clonish looking or just keep a straight profile. Straight may look better and save $60.

Weight savings!

Yea must be a ton of weight. My upper got to ADCO yesterday and I’m not doing the M4 cut because I think it’ll look better, I don’t care about cloning, and I have no interest in running an ops inc suppressor. Plus it’s cheaper.

Hoping cutting off 1.3” of barrel makes a somewhat noticeable weight difference though.

Extremely fast turn around. They received my upper Monday morning and just got an email for a shipping notification that it’s on it’s way back. Very excited to see what it looks like.

PD Sgt.
03-19-18, 22:13
If you don’t plan on running OPS INC suppressors, (now Allen Engineering) there is probably not any real reason to have it cut in unless you really want the exact clone or you want to spend the extra money.

I don’t know if the step is there for the collar specifically, or if there was another purpose and OPS used it as a means to mount their collars. I will say, having several OPS cans, I wish the step was found in other barrel profiles as well.

81mmcat
03-28-18, 09:03
If possible please post pics of the finished work Thanks