PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong w/ this RE?

Hulkstr8
03-12-18, 22:09
Hey guys,

I got an email back from LaRue regarding my old buffer tube which started wobbling side to side and was canted even though I installed it square. LaRue said it was install error: "the end plate would have had to be in an incorrect position while the castle nut was tightened." I don't have enough experience to know if it was or not. I may be stupid, but I thought the end plate only fit the one way. Anyway, I used the standard Magpul Wrench + the Reaction Block from Geissele. Watched videos on what to do and everything went smooth so I thought.

Let me know what you all think and how I can avoid this issue w/ the new SOLGW tube (very quick shipping from Kyle btw)

PrarieDog
03-12-18, 22:22
Make sure the end plate is flush and push up on the endplate so the "key" is engaged fully. Make sure you do not over torque. Stake the endplate at one of the notches on the back side of the castle nut when done.

wigbones
03-12-18, 22:33
Is it possible the end plate was installed backwards?

officerX
03-13-18, 00:09
Wobbling side to side makes me think of a loose castle nut. Did you stake it after installation?

Hulkstr8
03-13-18, 00:31
Wobbling side to side makes me think of a loose castle nut. Did you stake it after installation?

Yeah, it was torqued and staked. It took effort to loosen the castle nut. The "wobble" was so very slight. The main thing I noticed was the RE cant which didn't make sense to me because I installed it square.

Iraqgunz
03-13-18, 04:37
Either something was wrong with the tube (or lower) or it was not installed correctly. Without checking the components and looking at it, it's pretty much all speculation.

Mustang31
03-13-18, 06:07
Yes I have had this happen to me before. It was due to over torquing the castle nut. This causes the notch on the end plate to damage the threads.

I noticed that the stock on that build was pretty canted one day and decided to try to realign it. Every time I tightened the end plate it canted. I pulled the receiver extensions and it look exactly haw your does in that picture.

hk_shootr
03-13-18, 06:33
I’ve seen tubesthat were messed up like that. Usually not loose but looked as if they had turned or were clocked wrong. It seems that either poor quality buffer tubes or end plates were to blame. Some end plates have shorter tabs and cheaper tubes seem to be very soft. Torque spec in the Colt manual states 40 ftlbs for the castle nut, but damn, that’s awfully tight.

26 Inf
03-13-18, 12:06
I’ve seen tubesthat were messed up like that. Usually not loose but looked as if they had turned or were clocked wrong. It seems that either poor quality buffer tubes or end plates were to blame. Some end plates have shorter tabs and cheaper tubes seem to be very soft. Torque spec in the Colt manual states 40 ftlbs for the castle nut, but damn, that’s awfully tight.

Plus one on that torque spec. On the other hand 40 inch pounds seems a little light. I just torque mine 'city-boy' - versus 'farm-boy' - tight and stake.

The LaRue tube and end plate furnished with my kit were seemingly high quality and went together with no problem. It would be interesting to know if the OP used the LaRue end plate.

Hulkstr8
03-13-18, 12:49
Either something was wrong with the tube (or lower) or it was not installed correctly. Without checking the components and looking at it, it's pretty much all speculation.

I was using the LaRue tube, Aero Lower, Larue supplied castle nut (which we had determined in another post was not mil-spec), and the IWC QD Plate - which is nitride steel and tough.

Hulkstr8
03-13-18, 12:50
Yes I have had this happen to me before. It was due to over torquing the castle nut. This causes the notch on the end plate to damage the threads.

I noticed that the stock on that build was pretty canted one day and decided to try to realign it. Every time I tightened the end plate it canted. I pulled the receiver extensions and it look exactly haw your does in that picture.

Well, I was using a torque wrench so idk.

Hulkstr8
03-13-18, 12:53
Plus one on that torque spec. On the other hand 40 inch pounds seems a little light. I just torque mine 'city-boy' - versus 'farm-boy' - tight and stake.

The LaRue tube and end plate furnished with my kit were seemingly high quality and went together with no problem. It would be interesting to know if the OP used the LaRue end plate.

My LaRue tube seemed high enough quality to me, as it should be for the price. The threads are cut and not rolled and LaRue clearly throws in a lathe. I did not use the LaRue end plate, I used IWC.

Hulkstr8
03-13-18, 19:12
If it was installation error, any guesses for how I installed it incorrectly?

My procedure was to index the tube to the buffer retainer/ align the end plate, and then hand tighten the castle nut. Using the G Reaction Block slide the wrench between the buffer tube and the block, tighten the retaining screws, and then using thr torque wrench, tighten the castle nut to 40 lbs.

I guess I am just trying to avoid this same issue with the new tube as I am still pissed I wasted $55 on the last one. Fml.

vicious_cb
03-13-18, 19:36

My procedure was to index the tube to the buffer retainer/ align the end plate, and then hand tighten the castle nut. Using the G Reaction Block slide the wrench between the buffer tube and the block, tighten the retaining screws, and then using thr torque wrench, tighten the castle nut to 40 lbs.

I guess I am just trying to avoid this same issue with the new tube as I am still pissed I wasted $55 on the last one. Fml.

Either the tube or receiver is moving when you are tightening the castle nut. Lock both down, then start tightening.

hk_shootr
03-14-18, 05:09

I still think it’s more about the components. I have seen many end plates that were rather loose on buffer tubes when assembling before installation. Some end plates just seem to have a very short tab that indexes the buffer tube.