PDA

View Full Version : High end 1911 preference?

givo08
10-18-08, 23:12
As the title suggests, I'm interested in potentially acquiring a higher end semi-custom 1911. My primary concern is reliability, and I really am not into which one is guaranteed to shoot the tightest group at 25-50 yards. The reason I'm looking into a semi-custom is because I like the extra features like softened/dehorned edges, polymer based finishes, high quality internals, nice trigger feel from the factory, etc...however the gun would be primarily for carry/HD so reliability is again my #1 priority. Which of the semi custom (brown, wilson, baer, nighthawk...) in your experience have been able to make it through high round count classes, competitions, and just heavy shooting volumes without issues, and which would you recommend?

wichaka
10-18-08, 23:54
Either of the makes you mentioned will be a good choice. Others will obviously chime in with their favorites, and why.

I've had a chance to T&E many of the models from the makers you mentioned, and have yet to have any problems with them.

Sorry I can't help you out beter, but you've picked the top semi-custom makers. But should you hapen to get a problem child, they wil stand behind their product 100%

ThirdWatcher
10-19-08, 04:17
I agree. I've gotta couple Nighthawk Customs, but I'd be proud to own any of the makes you've listed. (How much better can you make a 1911?)

SHIVAN
10-19-08, 05:11
I really like the Rock River 1911's. While I never hang on to them long enough to rack up the round counts, people who buy them from me have -- and they love them too.

Oh, and they come with the accuracy guarantee too.

rob_s
10-19-08, 07:10
I really like the Rock River 1911's. While I never hang on to them long enough to rack up the round counts, people who buy them from me have -- and they love them too.

Oh, and they come with the accuracy guarantee too.

Then you'll hate this (http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=209)

http://rockriverarms.com/images/products/rra_cathdpstl.gif

1911pro
10-19-08, 07:16
I have a Springfiled Pro that is about 1 1/2 years old. It is a great gun. No problems after the break in period. I have about 1600rds thru it. Wilson CQBs are also great guns.

sff70
10-19-08, 08:16
There's a lot of similarity among the high-end semi-custom 1911s. A lot of it comes down to options and what you want.

As others have said, the Baer TRS is a best buy. They are consistently very well done and perform very well. Compare what you're getting to a Wilson CQB, or NH Talon.

If you don't like thin grips, remove the grips, screws, and bushings, and install standard ones. Or just buy a Baer Custom Carry.

Baers are tight for the first 1k rounds, but after they are very, very, very nice.

Next up, I would look for a Springfield Pro.

Be sure to use only quality mags and ammo in your 1911 and do not use shock buffs.

To clarify, I either own now or have owned:

O'Hara Custom on a Springfield Milspec
Heinie custom Colt old Series 70 GC
Yobo 1* Elite on Colt old Series 70
NHC/VT
Baer TRC
Baer P2 1.5
SVI
STI
Kimber pre-series II Custom Classic
and many other 1911s, mostly Colts

d90king
10-19-08, 08:22
As the title suggests, I'm interested in potentially acquiring a higher end semi-custom 1911. My primary concern is reliability, and I really am not into which one is guaranteed to shoot the tightest group at 25-50 yards. The reason I'm looking into a semi-custom is because I like the extra features like softened/dehorned edges, polymer based finishes, high quality internals, nice trigger feel from the factory, etc...however the gun would be primarily for carry/HD so reliability is again my #1 priority. Which of the semi custom (brown, wilson, baer, nighthawk...) in your experience have been able to make it through high round count classes, competitions, and just heavy shooting volumes without issues, and which would you recommend?

I would go Baer in this case. I have never seen the need to get the 1.5 upgrade to guarantee accuracy, it will be more accurate than most shooters as is.

You will need to spend 500-600 rounds breaking it in like any pistol, but after that you will be good to go. His pistols are very tight out of the box but after you heat them up they are just fine. His Bear coat is a good finish that holds up relatively well but will show wear like anything else out there. You might want to look at a SRP, I think you will find that it is setup as a good carry pistol out of the box.

I would swap out the rear sight for a 10-8 and leave a lamp up front. The TRS is also a nice pistol for the money. I own a Brown and Nighthawk but based on your post I would say Baer is a good route for you. I don't own a Wilson so can't comment, but the ones I have shot have been very nice and you might want to consider them too.

rubberneck
10-19-08, 09:06
Of the semi custom manufacturers I would go with the Ed Brown. They all make outstanding guns but for me it is the small details that sets his guns apart from the rest. For the record I have a full house Springfield built by EGW and a full house Caspian built by Don Williams.

Paul45
10-19-08, 09:17
I have 3 out of the 4 - no NightHawk but I have been looking at them. I would buy the Baer and the Brown again. The Wilson has functioned well and has not let me down but it is not as "pretty" or "finished" as the other 2. It may just be my level of gun or my perception. I do not think you could make a bad choice on any of the 4. It is really personal taste. My personal favorite is Les Baer - why - Just like them.

No.6
10-19-08, 09:32
Anyone have a MARS/Steve Morrison 1911? I'm in the market for a 1911 myself, just as soon as I move my HK Mk23 and suppressor.

sff70
10-19-08, 11:07
I would go Baer in this case. I have never seen the need to get the 1.5 upgrade to guarantee accuracy, it will be more accurate than most shooters as is.

I concur, and ended up with the 1.5 option as the gun was a good deal, not cause I was looking for it. Having said that, it was a very reliable gun.

I would swap out the rear sight for a 10-8 and leave a lamp up front.

Concur.

And, consider getting it coated with one of the better finishes, or at least wiping it down with an oily rag each day.

G34Shooter
10-19-08, 12:14
I concur, and ended up with the 1.5 option as the gun was a good deal, not cause I was looking for it. Having said that, it was a very reliable gun.

Concur.

And, consider getting it coated with one of the better finishes, or at least wiping it down with an oily rag each day.

Like Ionbond? :D
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG641-1.jpg

Or hard chrome, Black-T, Melonite etc...

VooDoo6Actual
10-19-08, 14:23
IMO and I have tried them all.

SA FBI Pro CRG w/ LR

You would not regret it.

sff70
10-19-08, 16:07
Yes, like Ionbond!

Razorhunter
10-19-08, 16:39
I have to say guys, that I MUST go with Nighthawk here. They are MUCH nicer than some of the others mentioned. I too agree that the Wilsons are not finished as nicely, and I just feel that many Semi Customs out there these days are not finished as nicely as the Nighthawks. Those guys at NH REALLY know what they are doing, and are doing it much nicer (attention to detail) than Wilson, IMO. I'm not saying Wilson is garbage by any means, but if you're spending the money, you must know that the NH's have an EXCELLENT, TOP OF THE LINE attention to detail, and their customer service is second to none.
I absolutely LOVE their BLACK Permakote finish. (BTW, I am THINKING you can choose other finishes I THINK, but not sure). I always thought that my Springfields parkerized finish was SO far from black, and almost looked GREY.
This proved very true, when I received my NH's, which have a nice DEEP BLACK finish, which looks SO much better than the "greyish" tint of the parkerized Springfields. Again, not bashing the Springers, as I like them too, but the NH's finish is SUPERB looking, and is durable too.
I always said I was going to immediately IONBOND my NH pistols when I finally got them, but I have changed my mind, since the Permakote is so nice and durable.
I could go on and on about NH's attention to detail, but the last thing I will say, is that the MOST important aspect to ME, wasn't even the black finish on the gun, but rather the excellent attention to detail, when it comes to things like 40LPI checkering, blending of magwell and beavertail, etc, etc., etc.
I look at all of my buddies Springers, Kimbers, Baers, etc, etc, and many times (although not ALL the time), they have slide and frame lines which are not straight, and checkering which is flawed, and all sorts of other albeit sometimes minor issues with the fit and finish. However, most all of the NH's I've seen (IF not ALL), have been at a higher lever of attention to detail, in regards to their fit and finish.
I won't say that one brand is so much better than the other(s), but I WILL say that any time I go to spend top dollar on a semi-custom piece in the future, it will always be a Nighhawk 1911 for me. I like the fact that Nighthawk will build my 1911 any way I want it, and they will also use any quality part(s) of my choosing. (maybe others do this too, dont' know, but I know many nowadays will not use customer supplied parts, and I always cannot stand that).
Good luck in your decision. Go pick up a Nighthawk. See how you instantly fall in love with it my friend!

G34Shooter
10-19-08, 17:34
Not to get into a pissing match but i've seen plenty of threads on all the Semi-Customs that had problems... Including Nighthawk:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=180265

variablebinary
10-19-08, 17:47
I'm a fan of ...

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/springfieldarmoryprofessional45.jpg

sff70
10-19-08, 17:57
My NH has been 100%. There have been others that have not, however, NH's service appears to be top notch for those of have needed it.

I like NH, but I think a Baer TRC is awful lot of gun for the money,.

The Pro is a very good pistol, if you can get one. Not everyone cares for 20 LPI frontstrap checkering (I happen to like it).

None of the soft finishes (Permakote, Armor Scuff, etc.) are even in the same league with Iobond, Melonite, Diamond Black, E-Treat, etc.

d90king
10-19-08, 18:45
I have to say guys, that I MUST go with Nighthawk here. They are MUCH nicer than some of the others mentioned. I too agree that the Wilsons are not finished as nicely, and I just feel that many Semi Customs out there these days are not finished as nicely as the Nighthawks. Those guys at NH REALLY know what they are doing, and are doing it much nicer (attention to detail) than Wilson, IMO. I'm not saying Wilson is garbage by any means, but if you're spending the money, you must know that the NH's have an EXCELLENT, TOP OF THE LINE attention to detail, and their customer service is second to none.
I absolutely LOVE their BLACK Permakote finish. (BTW, I am THINKING you can choose other finishes I THINK, but not sure). I always thought that my Springfields parkerized finish was SO far from black, and almost looked GREY.
This proved very true, when I received my NH's, which have a nice DEEP BLACK finish, which looks SO much better than the "greyish" tint of the parkerized Springfields. Again, not bashing the Springers, as I like them too, but the NH's finish is SUPERB looking, and is durable too.
I always said I was going to immediately IONBOND my NH pistols when I finally got them, but I have changed my mind, since the Permakote is so nice and durable.
I could go on and on about NH's attention to detail, but the last thing I will say, is that the MOST important aspect to ME, wasn't even the black finish on the gun, but rather the excellent attention to detail, when it comes to things like 40LPI checkering, blending of magwell and beavertail, etc, etc., etc.
I look at all of my buddies Springers, Kimbers, Baers, etc, etc, and many times (although not ALL the time), they have slide and frame lines which are not straight, and checkering which is flawed, and all sorts of other albeit sometimes minor issues with the fit and finish. However, most all of the NH's I've seen (IF not ALL), have been at a higher lever of attention to detail, in regards to their fit and finish.
I won't say that one brand is so much better than the other(s), but I WILL say that any time I go to spend top dollar on a semi-custom piece in the future, it will always be a Nighhawk 1911 for me. I like the fact that Nighthawk will build my 1911 any way I want it, and they will also use any quality part(s) of my choosing. (maybe others do this too, dont' know, but I know many nowadays will not use customer supplied parts, and I always cannot stand that).
Good luck in your decision. Go pick up a Nighthawk. See how you instantly fall in love with it my friend!

Nighthawks pistols are no better than Baer, Brown or Wilson, PERIOD.

You might have a preference towards Nighthawk but that does not make their product better than the rest. There have been a lot of pistols that have made it out of the factory in less than acceptable condition, mine included. Their service is excellent but to say that their attention to detail is far superior is just wrong. I really like the guys at NH but I am not going to sit here and say that they are the BEST just because Mark and Craig are great guys. They will make it right but thats not the point. For the record my Vickers is perfect now but it took much work to get it that way and some of the items you could certainly say were "detail" issues.

Heres the thing I dont think you have to bash another set of brands to sell the quality of the product that you are bias towards. There are differences between all of the builders and you touched on a great one with NH being open to using parts that "you" prefer. That said, you can show the great points without having to bring up any other brands to make your point. It makes you come off with little or no objectivity.

On another note, just because your gun has a pretty finish doesn't mean that it is a better performer in the areas that are important to most people asking about a duty weapon.

If you have spent some time shooting Wilson, Springfield Pro's, Baer and Brown you know that they all perform well and all are very different in their own way. Those differences meet many peoples different preferences. I also wouldn't say that one was "much better than the other", to me they are all pretty darn close.

Just my opinion, but I have spent a lot off time with all of the above...........

George Mac
10-19-08, 19:14
I was looking at 1911's and went with the Axiom by Mars Armament. I was gong to pick up a Nighthawk but someone who works at a gun shop that stocks them in the area told me a few negative things. There are several agencies in this area that allow the 1911. From what I was told, the ones that see "duty gun" round counts come back to the shop and get sent back often. These were mostly GRP models.

There are several guys who I work with that carry Wilsons and they are very happy with them. I just started carrying an Axiom from Mars and am more than pleased.

docsprague
10-19-08, 20:09
I would have to say my favorite is my SA Pro. The only other semi-custom 1911s I have are Wilsons. I have looked at the Nighthawks and they are nice. However, I can not get over the price.