PDA

View Full Version : HK P30L and VP9

Slater
03-15-18, 17:07
For those that have used both, how's the comparison as far as overall accuracy and reliability?

dreadpirateroberts
03-15-18, 17:16
Both are great guns, accurate and reliable. The P30 is V3, double action isn't my favorite but the single action is nice. The VP9 has a better trigger and I shoot faster with it. However i like the P30 more due to being hammer fired. I also have an HK45 tac and that is a great pistol as well. The VP9 is a great gun but so is the P30 so really it comes down to what feels best in hand and what you want.

YVK
03-15-18, 17:27
P30/L also comes in V1 and V2 that are various LEM variants, and can be further converted to V4 and V4.1

For those that have used both, how's the comparison as far as overall accuracy and reliability?

They are identical in accuracy and seemingly identical in reliability. I've not shot VP9 in the same amount as P30L to fully compare the reliability.

WickedWillis
03-15-18, 19:23

I have a P30L I bought used off a member here that I have put roughly 750 rounds through since I got it. It's not a training gun, I'm not pumping 1000's of rounds down range a year like I am my Glocks, but I feel like I have enough trigger time on it to tell you a few things.

P30L:
I have the DA/SA version without the safety. First off the stock trigger is really bad. Heavy, long semi smooth double action, odd break, LOOOOOONG reset which I personally hate. Single action out of the box is decent, with a solid break and a wee bit of over-travel. Same bad reset. I had Bill Springfield change my SA reset, reduced it by about half, put in a trigger screw and polished it up. It's very nice in single action now. I almost wish that I was able to try the LEM, becasue now that my double action pull is smoother, I like how it feels and stacks.

Recoil impulse feels sharper and snappier than most long slides that I have fired including the USP expert, Glock 34, etc. It seems it takes me longer to get back on target with it over other handguns. It is very accurate though once you get a good feel on the trigger. Mine has never had a failure of any kind, whatsoever. No stoppages, no failures. Factory brass, NATO 124gr, steel cased Wolf, it has ate everything. My goal in the next few months is to run it through a few classes, see if I can get it to choke.

VP9

The VP9 I had I completely regret selling. It was flawlessly reliable, and easily just as accurate as my P30L is. It has one of the best factory striker-fired triggers I have every shot, including Walther. It was easy to shoot fast as well.

YMMV, but maybe wait until the VP9L drops some time this year?

1_click_off
03-15-18, 20:31
I have been through 3 P30. V1,V1,V3. I hated the long trigger pull of the V1. Wish I had kept the V3. I liked it.

I have been through 3 VP9. Never a malfunction in any of them. I sold them to friends and they have never had issues with them. I shot about 1500 rounds through one, the other 2 were consecutively serial numbered and I put 300-500 through one and kept the other NIB.

The P30 just feels higher quality but in the end, I found them to do nothing my G19 could not and sold all of them.

Slater
03-15-18, 20:46
Just to hazard a guess, I would imagine that the VP9 outsells the P30 by a comfortable margin?

YVK
03-16-18, 00:43
Only HK knows. VP9 was rumored to be their best seller but it seems like it has saturated it's available market share by now. They are available on every corner, in all kind of colors too, doesn't look like they are flying off the shelves. At the same time HK dropped P30 prices and some of their models, particularly V1 with 15 round mags seem to be a bit less available now than they used to be.

Bodhi
03-16-18, 01:38
Man, when the VP9L comes out, i might have to get it

Kain
03-16-18, 06:15
Just to hazard a guess, I would imagine that the VP9 outsells the P30 by a comfortable margin?

That may also have to do with price. the VP9 is pretty competitively priced while the P30 is ~$800+ on a good day for the most part. Not saying you can't get them cheaper, just on average.

Adrenaline_6
03-16-18, 08:19
I have a P30 and although it took some practice to get used to the trigger, I don't even notice the long reset or pull anymore. It's like anything else, practice with what you got and it's all good. I was thinking about sending it out to Bill Springfield for the short reset package awhile back, but that is now way down on the priority list. The thing I do notice though, it does help you on training trigger discipline, so when you shoot anything with a "better" trigger, you shoot it pretty well from the get go.

YVK
03-16-18, 09:43
That may also have to do with price. the VP9 is pretty competitively priced while the P30 is ~$800+ on a good day for the most part. Not saying you can't get them cheaper, just on average.

Whatever P30 you can find in stock right now, everything is under 600 bucks. Check Bud's, Grabagun, Kygunco. Overall stock seems to be low but so are the prices.

Kain
03-16-18, 10:10
Whatever P30 you can find in stock right now, everything is under 600 bucks. Check Bud's, Grabagun, Kygunco. Overall stock seems to be low but so are the prices.

Locally I'm seeing P30s in the 800 range. Online I'm sure I can find cheaper or tge odd deal in the 500 range. But with VP9s in the 500 range on dealer shelves locally that pushes your average buyer.

WickedWillis
03-16-18, 10:48

I haven't seen any P30 variants for sub $600

Adrenaline_6
03-16-18, 15:56
Cross Creek, Top Gun Supply, Impact, they all hover sub $600 Standard or SK. The problem is, because of HK's recent price drop, they are flying off the shelves and it is hard to find certain configs in stock especially in 9mm.

Kain
03-16-18, 17:46

I think Cdnn had some .40s around the 600 mark. Can't recall if they still have any. But the vast majority I've seen lately are still in the upper realm, caveat being that yes the SK varients are cheaper.
I forget bout Top Gun. I've bought h&K parts off them in the past. Damn good people.

WickedWillis
03-16-18, 17:49
I think Cdnn had some .40s around the 600 mark. Can't recall if they still have any. But the vast majority I've seen lately are still in the upper realm, caveat being that yes the SK varients are cheaper.
I forget bout Top Gun. I've bought h&K parts off them in the past. Damn good people.

Yeah OP hooked me up with a few links on some very, very good pricing. Some from places you've mentioned. Guess I wasn't looking hard enough :blink:

Pappabear
03-16-18, 19:05
My P30 Light LEM trigger is my goto CCW if I go larger than shield. The VP9 is very nice, slightly bigger, very slightly. Trigger very good. The P30 edges out the VP9 in ergos, again slightly. Most people grab a P30 and say wow, that feels amazing.

Both great guns.

PB

nick84
03-16-18, 19:24
I have a P30 in regular LEM. I keep meaning to get the parts to convert to light, as that's my preferred, I just haven't done so. The VP9 is my nightstand gun. They're both excellent. I'm an, at best, slightly above average shooter and I could easily qualify as expert with either gun according to the old tables I qualified under. You really can't go wrong with either or both, but going back and forth takes a little adjustment with the differing triggers.

1_click_off
03-16-18, 19:38

Take your pick....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/search.php?q=P30

WickedWillis
03-16-18, 20:04
Take your pick....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/search.php?q=P30

Thanks for reading.

1_click_off
03-16-18, 20:20
Thanks for reading.

What we starting a spat over? You said you haven’t seen any sub $600 P30, I simply linked them for you and every one is sub $600.

Scratching my head on what I missed?

Never mind, my eyes jumped over you saying the OP hooked you up. Reading posts and not authors I guess. You were spot on. I didn’t read.

Talon167
03-17-18, 12:54
P30L V1 is my go-to pistol. I bought a VP9 right as they came out. It was nice, but I preferred by P30L. Sold the VP to fund ammo for the P30.

TactiCool1976
03-18-18, 23:36
i have the P30L LEM version and a VP9 and it's hard to say if one is more accurate than the other.... and i havent had any issues with either gun, both have run 100% with any type of ammo i've used on them.

Defaultmp3
03-18-18, 23:44
FWIW, the opinions of a SWAT guy who made prod GM with the VP9, while shooting the P30L competitively before that:

The VP9 runs circles around the P30L. It recoils flatter, the trigger is more predictable, and since the gun extends back over your hand it is much easier to index. I would guesstimate that I'm a good 10-15% better with the VP9 without any significant transition training.

Coal Dragger
03-19-18, 01:59
I love my VP9. Got the LE model with night sights and the FDE frame.

Shoots to the sights out to 50 yards out of the box. Only modification is an HK Parts striker catch sere spring that reduced the second stage of the trigger pull about 1lb. Did a buddy’s VP9 at the same time with an identical result. We tried the HK Parts trigger return spring in combination but it made trigger reset mushy so put the stock spring back in on both. He also has an LE model in FDE, both pistols shoot where the sights look.

Was able to capture top honors on the pistol portion of a PatMac class with the pistol setup this way. My buddy came in 2nd or 3rd if memory serves, so pretty solid overall performance.

Pappabear
03-19-18, 09:56
My P30 Light LEM trigger is my goto CCW if I go larger than shield. The VP9 is very nice, slightly bigger, very slightly. Trigger very good. The P30 edges out the VP9 in ergos, again slightly. Most people grab a P30 and say wow, that feels amazing.

Both great guns.

PB

To add to my post, I would say to make the hammer fired P30 trigger great , I needed to send to Bill Springfield and have instal a set screw for short reset. No other work done, just reset screw was magic.

PB

WickedWillis
03-19-18, 10:54
What we starting a spat over? You said you haven’t seen any sub $600 P30, I simply linked them for you and every one is sub $600.

Scratching my head on what I missed?

Never mind, my eyes jumped over you saying the OP hooked you up. Reading posts and not authors I guess. You were spot on. I didn’t read.

I wasn't trying to be so snappy with my response I apologize

To add to my post, I would say to make the hammer fired P30 trigger great , I needed to send to Bill Springfield and have instal a set screw for short reset. No other work done, just reset screw was magic.

PB

Yes even if it's the only thing you do to the trigger, it makes a night and day difference

Slater
03-19-18, 10:58
If it had been any other manufacturer I would say that they're dumping their remaining stock onto the market at cut-rate prices. It's hard to imagine HK doing that with the P30, though.

Kevin P
03-19-18, 12:57
I have had multiple p30’s and p30L all in LEM. I have also had a vp9.

The vp9 was a great gun but I prefer the p30L.

My p30’s have been constant work horses are extremely reliable, durable and accurate. People used to striker fired guns may have a intitial setback with the trigger. Personally the trigger is not a big deal. Yea it is a longer pull and a longer reset but once you get used to it, it’s does not hinder in getting quick and accurate hits.

The LEM is different and people would be better off learning the characteristics from scratch by starting off with the basic fundamentals and applying them and seeing how the trigger needs to be manipulated to produce the desired results.

Another big benefit is the hammer, so one could thumb the hammer when reholstering.

Stugotz
03-19-18, 13:07
My P30 Light LEM trigger is my goto CCW if I go larger than shield.
PB

My sediments exactly! I went 1 step further and did a spring replacement (2 springs, $20 & 20 minutes later) and both SA/DA pulls are lighter yet! :cool:

brushy bill
03-19-18, 21:41

G&R Tactical also has good pricing. I ordered a V1 P30 with night sights and 3 magazines for less than $660 (shipping extra) yesterday evening. Looked like that variant has since gone out of stock, but they had others. Really wanted the L version (OOS), and will likely pick that one up later. I'm probably in the minority with this, but the VP9 trigger is too light for me to be comfortable with.